PDA

View Full Version : I can see me being unfriended on FB very soon :-)

Catty1
01-25-2010, 08:07 PM
One of my friends is very excited about her dog who had a total of ten puppies. No one commented on the two posts she made. She posted pics.

I replied to the one (copy and paste here):

The puppies are cute. But I won't celebrate til all the dogs and cats in shelters find loving forever homes. Here's ten more shelter pets that may not get adopted, unless the pet owners double up.

Sorry.

I know I will burst her bubble. But it's the truth, IMO.

phesina
01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Well done, Candace. Good for you. And thank you.

Medusa
01-26-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm w/ya on that one, Candace. A friend bought another puppy not too long ago, that makes eight! When I told her that the pups came from puppy mills (she even bought one at a flea market!), she said "Well, at least I rescued them then". Now she plans to breed the ones she bought from a pet store. It's maddening! She's a good friend but I just can't get through to her on this subject.

aTailOf2Kitties
01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
it's sad how many people out there just don't "get it":(

smokey the elder
01-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, with "friends" like that, who needs enemies? Good for you for admonishing her.

Laura's Babies
01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Everytime I see something like that, I wonder how many are adopted out only to be dumped somewhere because the newness wore off and the "adopters" found out how much work they can be. Just because you adopt them out to good homes, does not mean they will stay in that home..

Don't you just want to shake them by the shoulders until they GET IT!

Countless lives can be saved just by S/N!

MoonandBean
01-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Good for you, Candace! I remember once I was at our local humane society and a woman came in with a litter of puppies and basically said "Tada" as she handed them over all excited and proud and expected everyone to thank her for bringing in puppies! The receiver said "oh great; another 8 adult dogs who won't get homes because people will adopt the puppies instead". The woman had no clue why the shelter wasn't so excited to be receiving these puppies. It truly is maddening that people just don't get it.

Seravieve
01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm w/ya on that one, Candace. A friend bought another puppy not too long ago, that makes eight! When I told her that the pups came from puppy mills (she even bought one at a flea market!), she said "Well, at least I rescued them then". Now she plans to breed the ones she bought from a pet store. It's maddening! She's a good friend but I just can't get through to her on this subject.

Offer to take her to lunch and just happen by a shelter/human society. Let her see for herself what's happening with all these extra puppies/kitties people create. It's really eye opening to see just how many are waiting for a home, just in your city, not to mention the rest of the country!

Good Job Catty, I agree with everyone else... It might be hard to say, but its the truth! I lost respect for my brother's gf when I heard her mom bred Border Collies.. of course she's since passed, but it was disturbing. And they were DEFINITELY byb.

catmandu
01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
You did right Catty1.:love:
People who allow their Pets to become pregnant should be forced to take responsibility for them.:mad:
There should be a charge for leaviing Animals , but then they would be dumped.:mad:
These are Living Creatures of Our All Loving Lord God, not household goods.:(
I see them around the Found Cat Hotel all the time. The Earl of Ebony is a great Cat, he shouldnt be out in the cold.:(
You tell them Catty 1 , we are behind you 100%!!!:love::love::love:

Catty1
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
She now lives on an acreage in Saskatchewan - and I know she finds good homes for her pups. She replied and said she used to adopt shelter dogs, but they weren't 'suitable', whatever the heck that means.

Another 'doesn't get it'. :(

Queen of Poop
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
She now lives on an acreage in Saskatchewan - and I know she finds good homes for her pups. She replied and said she used to adopt shelter dogs, but they weren't 'suitable', whatever the heck that means.

Not suitable because they had to be "fixed" before they could be adopted out.

shais_mom
01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
She's apparently not suitable for intelligence! :mad:

good for you!

Kirsten
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Well done, Candace! :D

I hope all the puppies will find good homes!

Kirsten

katladyd
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
She acts like there is a shortage of puppies in this world! :eek: I like the idea of taking her to a shelter and letting her see all the little souls who will never find a loving home! My boyfriend rose highly in my esteem when he went to our local shelter when he decided he wanted another cat. He didn't get a kitten, either. He adopted the sweetest little torbie princess who was 6-years-old! She is a "Daddy's Girl" all the way and can't love on him enough. I always tell him, "Why shouldn't she? You're the one who took her out of "that place" and brought her home." So few get this lucky break and your friend should see this firsthand.:(

NicoleLJ
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I have lost friends over this exact same subject. One just recently this fall. She was so proud of her little dog having so many puppies. Yet was not even proud enough to get the pups vet check or shots and didn't once have the mother checked out either. I no longer speak to her. Good job girl.

lvpets2002
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
:) Well done Candace & thank you for speaking your mind & ours too.. I will not comment on Threads like that.. I Have Nothing Nice to Say for People like that & So I Will Not Waste My Time.. But now that we are here my last words are I Hate Breeders.. I Also Hate People That Declaw Cats.. Now I am Done..

Catty1
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
PS - she did say it was an "accidental" breeding. She used to spay and neuter her pets...then thought it was a waste because two of the cats died.

I thought that if each death happened within 3 months or so of each being spayed, I could see the frustration. But no, each cat lived a few years after the surgery.

She IS the gal that took in Riddick (search under that name in General), but on many other things, her mind is made up - don't confuse her with the facts. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Offer to take her to lunch and just happen by a shelter/human society. Let her see for herself what's happening with all these extra puppies/kitties people create. It's really eye opening to see just how many are waiting for a home, just in your city, not to mention the rest of the country!

I tried that with Samantha's former Mom, took her to the shelter and showed her all the kittens, cats, puppies and dogs and explained they would not be there after Friday... Friday was euthanasia day. Did she get Samantha fixed?
NO! I did after she finally gave her to me after 2 years of begging for her... They JUST NEVER get it!

Freedom
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Good job, Candace. Can't say more I'd just be repeating what many have already said in this thread.

GILL
01-27-2010, 10:41 AM
WAY to GO

Momto4FemaleFelines
01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Good for you Candace!

Can you imagine how many more cats and dogs would be in shelters if everyone was afraid to speak out.
A friend once related to me that she asked if a cat she was taking from someone else was spayed. The woman didn't even know what spayed was, when my friend explained, the woman exclaimed "why would I do that to my cat?" ARGH!:mad::confused:

krazyaboutkatz
01-28-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm glad that you were able to speak up. So many people just don't get it and this is the reason why we have so many homeless animals in the world.:(