PDA

View Full Version : Road Advisory in my area January 23, 2010

Catty1
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
FYI: A "tow advisory" means 'if you are total idiot enough to drive out on this road and get stuck, there will be NO tow trucks coming to help you'.;)
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100123/CGY_winter_storm_012310/20100123/?hub=CalgaryHome

This is near where I live:
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100123/CGY_650_cochrane_rollover_012310.jpg

Road advisory for central and southern Alberta

Updated: Sat Jan. 23 2010 14:16:02

ctvcalgary.ca

A winter storm is making driving treacherous on central and southern Alberta highways.

Environment Canada has issued a severe weather warning for the following areas in southern Alberta:

* Hanna
* Cornation
* Oyen
* Medicine Hat
* Bow Island
* Suffield
* Cypress Hills
* Foremost

More than 15 centimetres of snow is expected to fall overnight in southern Alberta.

The snowfall is being made worse by 60 kilometre winds.

RCMP say the blowing snow is making it nearly impossible to see and they're advising motorists to stay off the roads.

In central Alberta there is a tow advisory in effect on the QEII from Red Deer south to Didsbury.

RCMP say the QEII from the Highway 11A overpass (north of Red Deer) north to the Highway 13 overpass is extremely hazardous.

The roads are very icy and several cars have gone in the ditch.

Travel is not recommended.

For more information on the current road conditions, go to the AMA Road Report.

phesina
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Yow!

Laura's Babies
01-24-2010, 04:20 PM
People always think they can make it... :rolleyes:

Last year when I was on that boat on the Ohio River during that winter storm..... On the Ohio River, the roads follow the river. The pilot that works the 11:30 pm to 5:30 am (steers the boat along the river while the Captian sleeps) said you wouldn't believe the dummies he would see trying to drive in that weather during those hours. He said he'd watch as just about every one of them would run off the road and get stuck.. Or just slide and slam into things... Of coarse, they ALL thought they would make it...:rolleyes:

Karen
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
The good thing about growing up in Massachusetts is part of learning to drive involves driving lessons in snow, ice., etc. But sadly, we do let people move here who never learned ... and there are always people who didn't pay attention!

I thought is was tragic when earlier this winter the cold snap hit the deep South, and there were incidences of people dying after venturing out onto ice-covered ponds ... if you don't grow up knowing to check for the thickness of the ice before venturing out, these things happen!

smokey the elder
01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
That needs to go on failblog!:eek: