PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone watching the stranded dog in L.A.?

Medusa
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I just tuned in so I don't know the entire story but a dog is in an L.A. river and is walking on some type of barrier. Rescue squads are trying to rescue him but he turned around and started walking in the opposite direction. I can hardly watch it; it's nerve wracking!

LokiDog
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
WOW - I just turned on the news channels when I saw your post FOX and MSNBC are both showing him just sitting in the middle of the rushing water. Is it a river?? A storm drain???

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I am on it.

It's a flood control channel I don't know where yet.

It's a concrete lined channel it's not too deep.

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
They will get him out- LA -IRE is Great when it comes to stu-- like this.

Here's a map of the area, the blue stripe is probably where he's at.

Good think that it's not raining, there can be about 6 feet a -ast water in it during the heaviest part of a storm
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=Vernon%2c+California&FORM=MIRE1

LokiDog
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
It's in LA right off the 26th street bridge.

leahchicago
01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
They have a rescue working walking on the ledge towards the dog right now. It's the same ledge the dog is on...but the rescue worker is pretty far away. I hope they get him/her out safely...

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
He's near Washington and 26th on the map.

LokiDog
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
They have a live streaming video up on FOXNEWS.com, You can watch on the computer.

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
The guys that -ly the choppers -or El Lay are studs.

told ya!

LokiDog
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Holy S$#@,

Did you see that dog FLY!!!

Man I love the Fire Department

Medusa
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
He was just rescued! He was scared to death and appeared to bite the rescue guy several times but they got him on the ground, then went to commercial. My heart is in my mouth! That's a special kind of person right there!

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
When dogs phly?

You bet!:D

LokiDog
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
The live feed on CNN.com just showed the dog driving away in the Animal Care and Control ambulance. So he should be OK.

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
People were calling in to the news asking why they spent money trying to save the dog.

Part of the reason is that they don't want people to jump a-ter the pooch, to save the dog and it is practice.

The FF was taken to the hospital for the bites.:(

caseysmom
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
That dude is my hero:love:

Karen
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Aww, thanks mister firefighter!

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Aww, thanks mister firefighter!

Betcha Phred is walking about with a puphed out chest!:D

----------------------
I couldn't think of the names of the channels for the life of me.

They are called 'washes' and they are part of the Los Angeles Phlood Control District.

http://www.healthebay.org/assets/pdfdocs/uws/2006/donwolfe.pdf

If you scroll thru the pictures you can see the square 'rivers' that run across the city. When it rains those suckers fill up quickly and rise to within feet of the top. It's crazy to see up close.

boomersooner
01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I couldn't get it to pull up on the computer at work, so I'm very happy the little guy was rescued. The people who complain? I can't write that kind of answer.....LOL

Taz_Zoee
01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm glad I did not see this on TV I would have been bawling!! I got tears in my eyes just reading about it.
I was on the phone with my mom earlier and had her watching the news for an accident that happened this morning by my work. She said something about the doggie in the water but didn't expand on it. This must have been what she was talking about.
Glad the dog is safe!!

Ok, I was just watching the news and saw this report. I had to get up and leave because I started to cry!!

carole
01-23-2010, 02:28 AM
This story even reached our tv headlines, poor wee guy, so glad a happy ending, gosh it costs like 200 dollars and more and hour to fly a helicopter, i wonder who is footing the bill, whatever i am just so happy he was rescued, way to go guys, well done. Those guys are our heroes for sure,dog bites and all.

RICHARD
01-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Good News!

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14291858

-------------------
They did their best

I understand the concept of not spending tax dollars on saving a dog, as Rebecca Howard espouses ("Dog's water rescue," Letters, Jan 27). There is one problem, she misses the point of life: Do the best you can where you can when you can.

The rescue team was not in Haiti. They were on a bridge in the rain. You know what, they did their best. Please save the obtuse arguments and let these people revel in a job well done.

- JEFF BORNSTEIN

Canoga Park

Tax money well spent

Re "Dog's water rescue," (Letters, Jan 27):

This rescue of a dog in the L.A. River during the storm by the Fire Department should be viewed as a humane training exercise in river rescue.

This time it was a scared, live animal. Next time it could be a scared, live child. Swift water training is done all the time, often using dummy mannequins. Any volunteers? It was tax money very well spent, no one else suffered any loss of service. Animals deserve care, rescue and love also - whether it is a horse trapped in a hole, a kitten in a drain pipe or a dog in a river. Tax money is wasted in a lot of other places but not in this case. Wake up and be thankful that the next time you call for help, it will be there, for you and your animals.

- KEVIN ELIASON

Santa Clarita

Bravo from the Netherlands

I read the Dutch newspaper de Telegraaf every day online. One of the headlines in the international section on Jan. 27 read: "Super Rescue Effort in Los Angeles for Dog."

I counted more than 90 Dutch readers' reactions. I will quote just a few:

1. "BRAVO, BRAVO, for this fireman."

2. "Despite the many negative feelings in Europe about America, in the U.S. an animal is just as important as a human being. I can't say that for the rest of the world. I take my hat off for these people!!"

3. "Why would the life of an animal be less valuable than that of a human being? There are people I would have never done this for."

If this wonderful rescue made headlines in a small country like the Netherlands, it must now be known all over the world. I, too, say bravo to fireman St. Georges and Capt. Ruda and everyone else involved.

- RIA VAN DAALEN WETTERS

Burbank

http://www.dailynews.com/opinions/ci_14291263

I read some of the stupidest letters from people who were outraged about the dog's rescue.

These people have no problem propping up an -------- mayor, paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars when the cops go crazy on the streets or subsidizing wasteful city programs, yet a few grand to save a dog will bankrupt the city.

Please. Morons.:rolleyes::eek::mad: