PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Roxyluvsme13
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I just received my very first brand new computer (yay!) and it's awesome, except my webcam worked yesterday and now it won't work ??? I've done system restore and everything to see if that would solve the problem but it hasn't...

Just wondering if maybe someone on here could give me some input. I'm probably going to contact the manufacturer's support team here shortly if someone on here can't help.

Basically, I open my webcam program and it shows me a picture of a stupid flower instead of my face like it's supposed to show me. Everything else works fine except for the webcam. Maybe there's a driver or something I need to install? I read somewhere that I needed Direct X but I had that and it didn't help any either.

Anyway, I'm rambling so I'll shut up and see if someone can assist me.

slick
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I don't do webcams. God forbid if someone should see me in my jammies......:eek:

I'm sure someone else will come to your rescue. Good luck.

Roxyluvsme13
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
LOL! I haven't used mine for anything and don't really have a purpose for it, but it was built into the laptop, so hey. I just want it to work and I really don't want to have to exchange the laptop. That would just be annoying but if I have to I will. It's probably something really stupid, too and then when someone tells me how to fix it I'm going to have a *facepalm* moment!

Alysser
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Did you install the driver for the camera? My VAIO sometimes doesn't cooperate, even after a system restore and sometimes I need to re-install some of the drivers.

Roxyluvsme13
01-21-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm trying to find the drivers right now. I think that may be the problem. Or hopefully it's the problem. Otherwise I'll call Toshiba tomorrow I suppose. What kind of driver do you have to download for your laptop???

ChrisH
01-22-2010, 03:35 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which came with a program installed called Toshiba Tempro that gives alerts for any updates, drivers etc, and links to the update/download site. But I'm assuming yours doesn't have that?

Anyhow, perhaps you will find what you are looking for on the support site, this is the one for the US.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Laura's Babies
01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Just try rebooting several times, if that don't work, keep rebooting for awhile.

I had a printer that my PC wouldn't reconize and spent days on the phone with someone trying to fix it, soon as they heard the word "printer" they dumped me off on the printer people but it was the COMPUTERS problem..

I finally got a guy that I made promise me before I told him why I was calling, that he would hear me out and not dump me off as it WAS a computer problem. He had me just reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot and reboot.. for a good 15 minutes until a window popped up that I couldn't get rid of.. he heard me mumbeling some not so nice words and asked what it was doing... Long story short, it was my firewall blocking the computer from reconizing the printer.

I have use that rebooting trick to solve many problems ever since... so try that!

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which came with a program installed called Toshiba Tempro that gives alerts for any updates, drivers etc, and links to the update/download site. But I'm assuming yours doesn't have that?

Anyhow, perhaps you will find what you are looking for on the support site, this is the one for the US.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

I found that and downloaded the webcam driver. Several other people have told me it's probably just a driver. Everything else on the laptop works fine and the webcam worked yesterday so it's just WEIRD! I got an error window after I downloaded the file saying the webcam won't work or something so maybe it fixed it.

Just try rebooting several times, if that don't work, keep rebooting for awhile.

I had a printer that my PC wouldn't reconize and spent days on the phone with someone trying to fix it, soon as they heard the word "printer" they dumped me off on the printer people but it was the COMPUTERS problem..

I finally got a guy that I made promise me before I told him why I was calling, that he would hear me out and not dump me off as it WAS a computer problem. He had me just reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot and reboot.. for a good 15 minutes until a window popped up that I couldn't get rid of.. he heard me mumbeling some not so nice words and asked what it was doing... Long story short, it was my firewall blocking the computer from reconizing the printer.

I have use that rebooting trick to solve many problems ever since... so try that!
I will try that if the driver I installed didn't work.

Thanks everyone! :love:

Laura's Babies
01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
It could be a software conflict and maybe the reboot will bring it up for you like it did for me...

Question..(maybe a stupid one) How did you shut the wab cam off when you were done with it? Maybe it needs to be turned back on? (Forgive me if that is a stupid question, I know nothing about web cams but I have had problems when I exited out of something and couldn't get it to work again until I rebooted.)

Roxyluvsme13
01-23-2010, 12:50 AM
It could be a software conflict and maybe the reboot will bring it up for you like it did for me...

Question..(maybe a stupid one) How did you shut the wab cam off when you were done with it? Maybe it needs to be turned back on? (Forgive me if that is a stupid question, I know nothing about web cams but I have had problems when I exited out of something and couldn't get it to work again until I rebooted.)

I'm not even sure if I can shut off the webcam :confused: I would think that you can but who knows how. I haven't really mastered Windows 7 yet :p and apparently not the laptop because I figured out what was wrong with the webcam and I feel reaaally stupid.

There's this thing called "Screen cover" that apparently puts a picture of a stupid flower in place of the live vid feed the webcam should be getting. Apparently I turned on screen cover. I double clicked the picture of the flower and it took it off and showed what it was supposed to. I downloaded all those drivers and stressed for nothing LOL. :rolleyes:

Alysser
01-23-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm not even sure if I can shut off the webcam :confused: I would think that you can but who knows how. I haven't really mastered Windows 7 yet :p and apparently not the laptop because I figured out what was wrong with the webcam and I feel reaaally stupid.

There's this thing called "Screen cover" that apparently puts a picture of a stupid flower in place of the live vid feed the webcam should be getting. Apparently I turned on screen cover. I double clicked the picture of the flower and it took it off and showed what it was supposed to. I downloaded all those drivers and stressed for nothing LOL. :rolleyes:

LOL, Sorry Bri I got a good laugh out of that. :D I've done things like that before too, so don't worry you're not the only one. :rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
LOL, Sorry Bri I got a good laugh out of that. :D I've done things like that before too, so don't worry you're not the only one. :rolleyes:

I realized how stupid of a problem it was and I had a total moment where I was like "Wow, how could it have been that simple?!"

I was ready to take the computer back and demand they give me a new one LOL! But everything works peachy now. Looove this computer.