PDA

View Full Version : Bus-riding cat Casper killed in hit & run

Catty1
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100121/odds/odd_us_cat_commuter

Bus-riding cat Casper killed in hit & run

Thu Jan 21, 1:01 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - A cat which became famous in Britain for riding on the buses around the southern English city of Plymouth has died after being run over, media reported.

Casper, a 12-year-old black and white cat, used to wait with commuters at a bus stop outside his home and then hop on to the number 3 bus to find a seat to curl up on.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Jan/Week3/15530226.jpg

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00674/Cat_185x295_674035a.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/18/article-1244106-07E7D303000005DC-372_468x649.jpg

The cat was so well-known on the service that drivers knew at which stop to let him off.

Casper's death was announced on a notice put up at his bus stop by his owner, the BBC and local newspapers reported.

"Many local people knew Casper, who loved everyone -- he also enjoyed the bus journeys," it said.

"Sadly a motorist hit him and did not stop. Casper died from his injuries. He will be greatly missed...he was a much loved pet who had so much character. Thank you to all those who befriended him."

The bus service, First Devon and Cornwall, said it was "devastated" by the cat's death.

"Casper touched many people's lives and clearly had a very exciting life traveling around Plymouth and who knows where else," a company spokeswoman said in a statement.

"I suspect he's now exploring heaven and is telling all the other cats up there about the many adventures he had."

A picture of the cat will continue to be used on one of the company's buses, it said.

Casper's owner, 55-year-old Susan Finden, who re-homed him from a rescue center in 2002, said he had always been a free spirit and was named after the cartoon character Casper the Friendly Ghost, because of his habit of wandering off.

The website for local newspaper The Herald said it had received tributes from around the world.

"Casper was a special cat and he had a wonderful life. He will be missed in the Netherlands too," Jelle from Holland wrote.

(Reporting by Paul Casciato, Editing by Steve Addison)

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
:(

Have a nice Bus Ride to The Bridge, Casper.

Your fare has been taken care of.

:(

carole
01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh that is so very sad ,I feared this might happen one day, shame on that motorist for not stopping, have fun at the RB Casper, you were a real celebrity worldwide.

AdoreMyDogs
01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
How heart breaking. I remember reading about Casper some time ago. I'm sure it was an accident by the motorest, and hopefully they, too, will not hold on to guilt for all time. If the motorest was anything like us Pet Talkers, they are extremely saddened, too.

Rest in peace, little cutie. You sure did have bunches of personality.

Medusa
01-22-2010, 06:58 AM
How very sad. That least the driver could have done was stop to see if Casper could be helped. At least now he's not in any pain and he can ride to his heart's content. RIP, Casper. I can only imagine how you will be missed.

Lori Jordan
01-22-2010, 10:00 AM
That is so sad,Breaks my heart to hear this.What a Unique little guy he was.

Rest Well Sweetie,Taken from this world too soon.

lvpets2002
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
:( That is so Sad.. RIP Casper & play hard at RB..

Pinot's Mom
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh, poor sweetie Casper, you tried hard to make friends with everyone who rode the bus. I'm sure they'll all miss you. Make lots of bus friends at the Bridge, honey, you'll be travelling lots!! :love:

pomtzu
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
AWW - what a shame. He did live an interesting life tho. That bus route will never be quite the same. :(

Rest in peace Traveling Man Casper. :love:

catmandu
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
The Found Cats and I pray that it was an accident, and that who ever hit you at least trued to help you.
You were a part of the lives of anyone who took that bus, and making all of those people smile is no snall acheivement.
We are betting that your Spirit will ride that bus forever, and there will be many LES and many fine things sad about you, Casper.:love:
And you will be together with Your Family in Fans in Paradise,
One Fine Day!!:love:

Laura's Babies
01-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Your fare has been taken care of.
(That brought on LES!)

Ride that final ride to rainbow Bridge, there will be a army of angels waiting at the stop to greet you.

Catty1
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I was just looking at the pics again. What a stunning boy he was.

His poor owner...prayers to her as well.:love:

3Catcondo
01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
RIP Casper. I hope it was a quick painfree trip to the bridge. Sending prayers to your human as she grieves for you. :love:

Kirsten
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh, that is so sad!! :( Only a couple of weeks ago, there was an article on his bus riding adventures in a German cat magazine! He was so special!

R.I.P. Casper! :(

Kirsten

Catty1
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Other articles said that he was running to catch his bus...

And the driver who hit him didn't stop. :(

Hope the driver fesses up...

3Catcondo
01-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Catty1-
HOW SAD!!! :( (That he was running to catch his bus) I wish people would be more careful. I do understand that accidents happen, but they could've and should have stopped after they hit him. :(:o:(:o