PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Vacuum and Carpet Cleaners

Freedom
01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
This was posted on a another forum (the bichon one I am on). I know some folks on here have Dyson vacuums, so I thought I would share this.

It is now one year since we got a new Dyson vacuum cleaner and a new puppy.

With new puppies there is a fair bit of cleaning up puddles etc and according to the books I used a mixture of water, white vinegar and a sprinkling of baking soda to clean up messes and remove the odor so that the puppy would not be attracted to the same area again and again.

Well last week I was vacuuming the house and bang, bang and then a dreadful smell of burning rubber and the vacuum cleaner blew up.

To cut a long story short the motor had to be replaced and the question I was asked was did I use carpet cleaners as there was a white powder blocking up the engine.

I don't use carpet cleaners so think that the baking soda was the culprit.
I actually stopped using this mixture about 6 months ago when I started using a new spray on product called Odarid which is very good.

anna_66
01-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I've used the powder rug stuff before and also used mine to vacumn the powder that comes from the walls when you sand them and never had a problem so far. *knock on wood*!!!

Catty1
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM
A lot of carpet cleaners contain baking soda. Hopefully this won't happen to you again. A vacuum cleaner blowing up would be scary!

Freedom
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Candace, didn't happen to me, I don't even have a Dyson. Was a person on another forum. Just sharing as the Dyson folks had asked if she used carpet cleaner.

Catty1
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry! To specify, if she used to use baking soda, that would have had the same effect as sprinkle-on carpet cleaner, as it contains a lot of baking soda. So there might have been some damage early on from the soda, even though she doesn't use it any more.