PDA

View Full Version : ewww BUGS

sparks19
01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes I know I am ALWAYS complaining about these stink bugs lol. they are just so GROSS. I actually found one in my BRA the other day and seriously almost threw up lol.

Well last night hannah was playing on the floor with some of her crayons. I saw something in her hand and thought it was just a piece of crayon wrapper and then she starts saying and signing BUG BUG BUG. Then it hit me. OMG she's holding onto a STINK BUG. So I said to Brian "does she have a stink bug in her hand" and he said no but she has one on her. Well yeah cause it crawled out of her hand onto her sleeve. UGH GROSS.

so we washed her hands really good because they REALLY do stink and when you grab them or stress them they "spray" their stench on you. I tried not to freak out becuase I don't want her to be scared of bugs but UGH I was so grossed out lol.

I am seriously losing my mind with these bugs and there is NOTHING I can do to get rid of them.

anyone ever tried one of those plug in things that claim they keep bugs out?

lvpets2002
01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
:) Yes I have one of those plug in things in everyroom of the house.. Yes they do pretty good.. Now I dont know if they will work on stink buggs.. I am like you those buggss are so Crappyy.. Hanna run run for dear life..:love::D

pomtzu
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Are you talking about the ones that plug in and supposed to drive away rodents, etc - they work with your home's electrical wiring??

If that's it - don't waste your money. They might work for a very short time, but then the rodents and bugs seem to become immune to them.

sparks19
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
yeah I think that's what they are pomtzu. DANG... I was hoping they might work LOL.

that was pretty much my last hope of keeping these things out because i just CANNOT figure out how they are getting in.

As I sit here right now I can see one on my wall.

I need a stink bug TRAP or something :D

Grace
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
So, I googled Stink Bugs to find out about them. Found a PSU fact sheet with this -

Before Bugs Enter a Building:

Mechanical exclusion is the best method to keep stink bugs from entering homes and buildings. Cracks around windows, doors, siding, utility pipes, behind chimneys, and underneath the wood fascia and other openings should be sealed with good quality silicone or silicone-latex caulk. Damaged screens on doors and windows should be repaired or replaced.

Exterior applications of insecticides may offer some relief from infestations where the task of completely sealing the exterior is difficult or impossible. Applications should consist of a synthetic pyrethroid (i.e. deltamethrin, cyfluthrin, lambda-cyhalothrin, cypermethrin, sumithrin or tralomethrin) and should be applied by a licensed pest control operator in the fall just prior to bug congregation. Unfortunately, because insecticides are broken down by sunlight, the residual effect of the material will be greatly decreased and may not kill the insects much beyond several days or a week.

After Stink Bugs Have Entered the Structure:

If numerous bugs are entering the living areas of the home, attempt to locate the openings where the insects gain access. Typically, stink bugs will emerge from cracks under or behind baseboards, around window and door trim, and around exhaust fans or lights in ceilings. Seal these openings with caulk or other suitable materials to prevent the insects from crawling out. Both live and dead stink bugs can be removed from interior areas with the aid of a vacuum cleaner.

It is not advisable to use an insecticide inside after the insects have gained access to the wall voids or attic areas. Although insecticidal dust treatments to these voids may kill hundreds of bugs, there is the possibility that carpet beetles will feed on the dead stink bugs and subsequently attack woolens, stored dry goods or other natural products in the home. Although aerosol-type pyrethrum foggers will kill stink bugs that have amassed on ceilings and walls in living areas, it will not prevent more of the insects from emerging shortly after the room is aerated. For this reason use of these materials is not considered a good solution to long-term management of the problem. Spray insecticides, directed into cracks and crevices, will not prevent the bugs from emerging and is not a viable or recommended treatment.

Entire sheet is Here. (http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug)

Google stink bugs in Pennsylvania - lots of info. (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=stink+bugs+in+pennsylvania&aq=3&aql=&aqi=g10&oq=stink+bug&fp=292ac4760832f3c4)

sparks19
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
yeah I've read that one

Problem is I can't figure out how they are getting in

like in the spring when I have the windows open I know they are coming in through the edges of the screen and I need to caulk around the edges and when we have the AC units in the windows I have to be REALLY thourough about taping off any possible entry ways.

But I can't find where specifically they are getting right now. It's driving me crazy.

BTW... I do NOT recommend the use of a vaccum cleaner to suck them up because when you do it stresses them and they spray their stink and eventually you have to open the canister to empty it lol (if you have a bagless vaccum that is) and WOW that stink really builds up. And I've actually noticed that when you suck them up in the vaccum the next time you turn it on the smell isn't filtered out... it seems to blow out with any air coming out of the vaccum and makes the entire room smell. horrible lol

I recommend squishing or flushing :D

RICHARD
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/869223/british_lady_has_a_bat_in_her_bra.html

:)

Twisterdog
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes I know I am ALWAYS complaining about these stink bugs lol. they are just so GROSS. I actually found one in my BRA the other day and seriously almost threw up lol.

O. M. G.

There would have been no "almost" for me, in that situation.

I HATE bugs!

pomtzu
01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Do you have a fireplace that you don't use very often. I've had them nest in the chimney and didn't know it before I built a fire - then I had them dropping down by the dozens. Some got cooked and others escaped - then I was running around like crazy trying to catch the escapees! :eek:

sparks19
01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
No fireplace, no chimney.

BUT I just realized last night... when the direct TV guy came and installed the satellite... he drilled a hole in the floor to run the cable from the outside in. SO... there is technically a very small hole in my floor that runs outside and I BET that is how they are getting in.

So we are going to seal it up :D and HOPE this keeps them out

if not... get the straight jacket ready for me

Laura's Babies
01-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Do what I saw them do on TV this morning to find openings for cold air to get in. Seal up a door or window with a box fax sealed in that door/window, blowing OUT of the house. Cut off the A/C, heat and walk around with a incense stick lit and check every light fixture in the wall/celling, check every vent, every window, along all the outlets, along baseboards and anywhere else in your house. Where ever you see the smoke from the incense pulling back intpo the house, you have a opening.

Do a walk around outside and seal any cracks & openings you see. Go in the attic (if you have one) and search for openings there.

Just ideas for you to try.. I'd be freaking out with those stinky things in my house too!

sparks19
01-21-2010, 09:25 AM
ooooh GOOD IDEA

I'm definitely going to try that

Puckstop31
01-21-2010, 03:01 PM
No fireplace, no chimney.

BUT I just realized last night... when the direct TV guy came and installed the satellite... he drilled a hole in the floor to run the cable from the outside in. SO... there is technically a very small hole in my floor that runs outside and I BET that is how they are getting in.

So we are going to seal it up :D and HOPE this keeps them out

if not... get the straight jacket ready for me

Good call! :) I did not even think of that. I'll caulk it tonight.

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AerosolFlamethrower

Don't ask.:D