PDA

View Full Version : Can you spare more prayers for Pouncer?

catnapper
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
My little boy is sick.... again. I caught him straining in the litterbox two days ago and immediately started him on his meds.

But yesterday, he was especially grumpy and I noticed him limping. My first thought was "Not another paw injury!" Just what is it with this boy and paw boo-boos? :eek: He won't let me inspect his paw beyond palpitation and quick peeks, but as far as I can tell there's no cut or anything stuck in it. He IS walking and bearing weight, just limping a little bit.

Today, he's G-R-U-M-P-Y. He's growling at everyone and everything while hiding out in a cat tree. He was cold, so I placed a warm blanket over him, which he immediately snuggled deeper into. He also hasn't eaten much today (though he did eat some)

He's already on antibiotics and pain meds, so I don't know what else to do. I'll watch him for a few more days, and if he gets worse, we'll take him to the vet. I feel like we're at the vet every 6 or 8 weeks with him. I don't know anymore.... am I being fair to him? I don't mind the expense (despite how costly he can be), but I feel SO GUILTY when I medicate him (he HATES it) and I feel SO GUILTY when he gets sick again just a few weeks later. He's such a sweet cat, and yet he's always so miserable.

Catty1
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
OMG - that poor boy and poor you! He did have the urinary surgery, right?

When you say it's not fair to him, I think what I can guess is in your mind somewhere, though no one wants to say it. :(

A wild guess - but if his UT problems are at all connected to stress and some other critters being around, I wonder if he could be temporarily fostered in a one-cat home (with a person he knows) to see if it helps.

And then there is Clomicalm, which Medusa swears by. A low daily dose might well work out less expensively than numerous vet visits.

{{{{hugs}}}} and prayers for Pouncer.:love::love:

Laura's Babies
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Pouncer again? :eek: Of coarse you get prayers for him. What is it with that boy? Poor guy!

catmandu
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Pouncer and Mister Scrappy are there to help Little Pouncer feel better and regain his health.:cool::cool::cool:
You certainly have had a lot of health issues Pouncer for such a Young Cat!!!
We are All sending prayers that you will feel like your Old Self Soon!!:love::love::love:

Freedom
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey Pouncer, at this point, I bet YOU wish you could talk as much as Gary does! Tell him what's wrong so it can be addressed.

Chin rubs to Pouncer.

Gary, he is not miserable ALL the time, you wrote he has a few good weeks. You are on the right track and keep working to find something that helps him. Hang in there, I know how frustrating it can be.

Barbara
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Sending best wishes to Pouncer. I hope he'll feel better soon!

catnapper
01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
He's perked up a bit (or at least he's finally left the cat tree and has moved to the bed)

My poor boy. I wish he could tell me what's wrong? Stress is always a constant in my house..... and right now we're refinishing the kitchen, so there's also lots of noise and dust. Will his little world ever settle down?

Catlady711
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Awww poor Pouncer. I hope you get better very soon because your meowmy is worried about you.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty about medicating him. I felt the same way with Dusty when I had to give her oral meds her last few months. But guilty as we feel about it, we do know we're doing this so they will get better and/or not be in any pain. Unfortunately we can't explain this to our kitties.

I hope Pouncer has a quick recovery and doesn't get sick again for a long while.

Medusa
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear this. That poor boy and poor you, too! I hope that Pouncer continues to get better and better. :love:

cassiesmom
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
any time
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=10011548

phesina
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are being sent for Pouncer.

Be well, sweet kitty!

momoffuzzyfaces
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Prayers on the way for you both from me too. :love:

Momto4FemaleFelines
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Add my get well vibes for Pouncer too the list.

I'm rather new here, but I know the issues of recurring urinary issues. I ultimately decided to re-home my girl, Tiger Lily, who was COTD here in May. We did everything we could for her. Meds, behavioral help, separating her from the other cats, x-rays, and ultra-sound. Her PH levels just kept going up due to stress, giving her sterile cystitis. It just wasn't fair to try to make her fit where she didn't fit just because WE loved her. It was heartbreaking for us, but for her health and happiness, it had to be done.

If your Pouncer is suffering from stress...Have you tried either amitriptyline or buspar? How about Bach Flower Essences or Feliway? If his urinalysis show his PH being out of whack, if you haven't looked into diet change, it's worth a try.

I apologize if you've done all this, but as I said, I'm rather new here and don't know the background of Pouncer. I didn't mean to sound bossy or anything, but if anything I mentioned can help you...that's all I mean to do, is help.

krazyaboutkatz
01-20-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Pouncer is sick again.:( I hope that he'll feel better soon and stay that way. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Anikaca77
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Prays for Pouncer and for you as well.

Melissa

catnapper
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone! He's doing MUCH better today -- eating like the little piggy he is. He's not grolwing at everyone as much either. Man, those PT prayers work every time.... just keep them coming.

Medusa
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone! He's doing MUCH better today -- eating like the little piggy he is. He's not grolwing at everyone as much either. Man, those PT prayers work every time.... just keep them coming.

Now that's what I like to hear! Yay, Pouncer! :D

phesina
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Well done, Pouncer!

Keep up the good work!