PDA

View Full Version : Cost of getting your hair colored?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
How much does it usually cost to get your hair colored or highlighted at a salon? I am thinking my hair needs a change. :p

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I have very dark hair that I want to lighten a bit. I'm just wondering about what I can expect to pay. I may go to a beauty school to get it done if it's really expensive at a "real" salon.

Lori Jordan
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Here in Canada It's about $50 dollars to get your hole head one colour,for Highlights its about $80,It makes no difference here,Whether you get half a head,Or hole Head of Foils.It still runs anywhere from $80-100.

Now in saying that,These are not Fancy Salon's there are hair dressers that work out of there houses,I remember for my Birthday a few years back i got a certificate to a Nice Beauty Salon,I got my hair Cut and a hole head of Foils,It was 138.00....And my cert was for fifty dollars.Not complaining but i never expected it to be that much,It's so expensive that is why alot of people buy the kits in the stores for under ten dollars.

jennielynn1970
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, I go to a nice salon, not really upscale, but not a Holiday or one of the chain salons, and for a cut and color I spend $80.00. If I want highlights, it's about $3 a foil.

I actually had found their price list "menu" on their website (does your salon have a web site, or a "menu" you can look at at the salon??). I did talk to someone I work with about the salon they use, and they have cheaper prices, and her hair looks phenomenal, but other services they offer that I'd use are more expensive than what I pay now (waxing), so it equals out in the long run.

Catlady711
01-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know about now-a-days, but I had my hair bleached back in around '92. Back then it cost about $40.

I'd never do it again that's for sure. Aside from the cost, which required me to go back in about every 4-6 weeks to keep the roots to a minimum so I didn't look like a skunk. There was the whole comfort issue. The appointment took 3 hours each time. First they would put the bleach on which felt like 10 million mosquito bites that you weren't allowed to scratch. You sat with that on your head for what seemed like an eternity. Then they put this toner stuff on that felt like acid in an open wound everywhere it had been itching and sat there with that on your head for also what seemed like an eternity. Then there was the issue of having the shades exactly match so you didn't have a rainbow of different shades in longer hair.

The whole experience was a nightmare and I only put up with it for 1 year before going back to my natural color.

I've never had my hair highlighted or just have some color tinted into it so I can't comment from experience on those.

carole
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Just thought i would compare prices , here it cost me $109 dollars just to get the front and sides done, a whole head on special was $129 usually about $149, that does include a conditioning treatment and toners if needed, however i used to dye my hair for years myself and i have to say the professional highlights are fantastic in comparison.

Yes some of the beauty schools where they have trainees learning are a good option, just have to hope they don't make a big mistake lol.:D

Also i have a very sensitive scalp and suffering from itchy scalp problems, i found the highlights are way better for this condition, as they hardly touch your scalp,highlights are great because they can be subtle or pronounced , you choose and they can look really great, especially under the lights and in the sun,make sure your get a deep conditioning treatment done at the same time, it is an essential IMO, worth the $30.00 extra i pay, and the massage they do is so relaxing, nearly puts me to sleep.

sirrahbed
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
My cut and foil costs $90 for whole head of highlights and lowlights :) The salon is a very nice one but the town is small. I am sure it costs much more in the city!

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Have you noticed that all the president's hair goes white and the get paid for it?:eek:

Husky_mom
01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
well... I once went to a salon.. paid like 40-45 to get it done.. and that was it.. since then I do it myself.. so the cost of getting my hair colored is what the box costs. lol.. adn I went a few shades lighter on my own.. you can do it just go slowly one shade down or maybe two... you can get your stuff at Sally´s there are some without ammonia.. very nice... or got to the W or K

Freedom
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
The salon I use is $65 for color, wash, cut. I started doing the color myself 3 years ago (when I started adding the dogs) to save money. Just a wash and cut is $35.

May have gone up as of Jan 1, I dunno yet!

I've never done a foil, highlights, etc. Just one overall color.

Craftlady
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I use a home kit (Nice/Easy w/hi-lites;) costs me under $6.00 buying it from Walmart. :)