PDA

View Full Version : Dust mite allergy and cats?

Ryan112390
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey

I am considering getting a cat. I had a cat when from when I was born until age 2, named Vashtie--we had to give her to my grandmother as the litter was causing persistent ear infections and then we had rescued a pregnant stray which we had for around 4 months when I was 6, who I named Tux, and we kept her for awhile in 1996 and gave her kittens to an animal shelter I believe. I've been around cats since, as my sister has two, and haven't had any allergic reaction but then again I'm only around them for short periods and never near the litter box for any long periods.

I've found out that while I have no allergy whatsoever to cat dander, I do have an intense Class III allergy (Class IV is the highest, most severe level of allergy possible; Class 0 would mean no true allergy) to dust mites. While as of yet Thank God I've not experienced any significant or serious allergic reactions because of my allergy, I worry that bringing a cat into the house (I live in a small apartment) might be dangerous--Not the cat itself but the litter, which might contain/attract/give off dust mites into the air.

While I really want a cat, I'm worried about what effect, if any, having one (particularly the litter) would have on my health at the same time and so I'd like some advice--Maybe there's others here with dust mite allergies? Any advice you guys could give would be really appreciated.

Karen
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a huge dust mite allergy, and have my whole life. If you use a less dusty type of litter, and a covered litter box - which some cats prefer, anyway, it should not impact your health much at all. Just wear a simple mask when you are pouring in new litter, or changing the box, and you should be fine!

catmandu
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I am lucky that I dont have allegies, otherwise I would be in the wrong place.
:eek:

Laura's Babies
01-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I am allergic to a lot of things, dust mites being at the top of the list. I have FOUR cats and 4 litter boxes in my small house and one is in my bedroom... a uncovered one because Boo will not go IN a covered box..

I do however suggest before you actually get a cat to be 100% sure a cat will not bother your allergies. Maybe spend the night at your sisters and handle the cats a LOT, sleeping with them if possible?

These are feeling creatures, they love, they fear, they feel things too. They do get traumatized emotionally as well as physically so before you get one and bring it home, be sure it can live with you until the day it/or you dies. Take that responsibility seriously... they should NOT be disposable

carole
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I use an environmentally safe recycled paper litter for my cats, and it is very dust free, of course there is a little ,they are little pellets, similar to rabbit food in looks.

I actually am allergic to cats and have four,I found having so many and putting myself around them all the time, helped to desensitise my allergy and now it is much better, as long as i remember to wash my hands after patting them and don't touch my eyes, they do still affect me, but not like before, it is a minor annoyance, and so well worth it to own my furbabies.

Yes please do think long and hard before adopting a kitty, once you have them they are for life.

moosmom
01-17-2010, 05:43 AM
FELINE PINE!!! No silica dust. Made from recycled pine cones. Lasts longer than scoopable. Use only 1" in the box. Remove solid waste daily. Urine and odors are absorbed by the pelletts. Once pelletts turn to sawdust, dump the whole box and start over.

I had to use it because of my 16 year old cat Mollie Rose (RB, 2009) had kitty allergies. Once she died, I kept using it and can't imagine using anything else.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Also, dust MITES are MITES - wee tiny bugs. I would think you are very unlikely to find them in cat litter. There are all kinds of litter - ask at your local pet store!

The mites are more likely to live in house dust, etc. that has been there for a while. (No reflection on your housekeeping...dust normally lives about everywhere! :) )

Have a look here - and a warning, the picture on the right is magnified MANY MANY times! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_dust_mite