PDA

View Full Version : The Lovely Bones

Nomilynn
01-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this movie! I went and saw it tonight and it is just amazing. I was so impressed at how well it captured the wonder of the book. It is definitely worth it!

caseysmom
01-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Okay I have to go see it now, Alyssa has recommended it in the movie thread also.

Alysser
01-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Okay, so despite the fact that I said I wouldn't see it because the killer looks like my neighbor minus the glasses, I did see it last night. I had my hat over my eyes for 3 scenes, which ones I won't say because I do not want to give it all away. I'm a chicken so yeah, and it wasn't that scary. I don't think I'd classify it as horror. I will say though, that overall I thought it was a good film. There were some strange parts, especially the parts where she was in purgatory and some scenes toward the end. It does get a little confusing, like how much time passes isn't obvious. It wasn't that hard to follow though.

The worst part of it is the grief the family goes through and how torn they are. It was quite depressing in that aspect. The other parts that really creeped me out was the parts focusing on the killer, obviously they were CREEPY, but seriously it is a very dark film, VERY dark and very creepy. It takes you somewhat into the mind of the killer, which is an interesting view point but scary all the same. Okay, before I write a novel, I don't reccomend it for kids obviously but if you like this type of stuff and TV shows like criminal minds, then go for it. The ending was pretty random, but it satisfied me. :D It's not the best movie I've seen, but it isn't the worst either.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmmm... I would love to see the movie, even though I have not yet received a chance to read the book....
Alyssa, I am the same way with scary movies/tv shows. Although I LOVE all of those tv shows, I don't know if I could handle the movie! Plus, having a similar-looking neighbor doesn't make it any better!

Nomilynn
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
The movie isn't scary at all. There are no "jump out at you" parts or anything like that.

I guess I could see how some parts might be confusing if you haven't read the book (like the passing of time) but there are parts of the movie that can help you know how much time has passed, like developing the rolls of film (this will help some people who are struggling with the time thing :))

I absolutely loved the book, and thought it was magical and mysterious. I wasn't sure how something that was put before me in a visual sense would allow my mind to take me where the book did, but somehow, the movie does that. I thought it was brilliantly done.