PDA

View Full Version : Advice please..?

*LabLoverKEB*
01-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I am taking care of my neighbors dog, (Beau, 3year old male english cream Golden Retriever), while they are out of town. I have always taken care of their pets while they are away, for as long as I can remember!
Anyway, Beau is an absolutely gorgeous dog, he's extremely light blonde, almost a white Golden Retriever. Unfortunately, they tend to 'love their dogs a little too much' and go way overboard with the treats.:( He's significantly heavier then the last time I watched him. I can't feel his ribs at all, so obviously he's overweight. The question it, how do I go about telling them?? They are a couple in their mid 50's-60. Very nice people. They are so proud of me for pursuing my dreams, going into the veterinary field. So I'm thinking they might want to know they aren't doing Beau and good by feeding to many treats?
Since I've started watching him this week, (Tuesday) I have given him a total of 1 biscuit. I can't give into his sweet face, and big brown eyes.... I do NOT want to contribute to his weight issue, and possibly have him go down the road of hip issues (like goldens are prone too), sorry, no way!
Another thing, like I said I've watched him many times before. Throughout all these times, I've seen about 4 different brands of dog foods: Pedigree (yuck), Nutro, Royal Canine (Golden Retriever 30 or whatever), and now Iams. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't a dog be fed ONE brand of dog food? And not a different brand every time you run out and have to buy more??:confused:

So, in a nutshell, HOW do I tell them in the most compassionate, caring way that they NEED to cut back on the treats? And stick to one brand of dry dog food, and a GOOD one?

Just for reference, he is about this color:
http://www.magnifyinggoldenretrievers.com/images/img_0106.jpg

Taz_Zoee
01-16-2010, 12:07 AM
What a cute Great Pyreness you posted. ;)

Anyway, maybe you can tell them the issues as something you learned in school. You know, I learned in such and such class that it's better to keep the dog on the same food and not change it too often, unless one particular food is causing issues.
And then just mention you noticed he seems to have put on a little weight and as dogs get older it's better for their joints and such to be leaner. You can also reference that you learned that in a class too. Maybe suggest a healthier treat like carrots.

Do you think maybe you could get a picture or two of Beau while you've got him? :D I know I'd love to see him.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks Cindy. I was thinking about doing exactly what you said.... kind of put what I'm learning at school and tie it into this situation.
Oh I forgot to add... I've been running him in the afternoon, so that is a good thing.
LOL, that's a Golden Retriever. :) That one actually looks a lot like Beau...

Taz_Zoee
01-16-2010, 12:19 AM
No way! The head looks so blocky, it looks a lot like a GP. Oh well, whatever it is, it's cute! :)

Pass that info along to the owners too, that you exercised him and he really enjoyed it. :D If they can't do it maybe they could hire a dog walker or you. :p

Karen
01-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Tell them he needs to lose weight, and they can help him by changing his treats and feeding habits. Is he begging for a treat? Give him a baby carrot. He'll get used to it, and it least it will have fewer calories and be better for him.