PDA

View Full Version : America, Your Fate is in My Hands

Karen
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM
It has been escalating to the point of ridiculousness. Because Ted Kennedy died, there will be a special election to fill his vacant seat, and the political parties of the nation are pouring more money into this one election than I have ever seen.

Today, we have received more phone calls from telemarketers than I can remember. We have had 5 messages left on our answering machine. The current two on it and from no less than Curt Schilling (Red Sox World Series pitcher) and Pres. Obama. Every time we turn on the TV, we see ads For Martha Coakley and Scott Brown. Yesterday, every time I logged onto PetoftheDay.com adsense served me a Scott Brown ad. We see ads for and against both candidates on YouTube whenever we try to view a video - they have bought prerolls. We see ads on other sites - yup, more political ads for either Brown or Coakley. Turning on the radio in the car, and every station has political ads in whatever commercial break happens.

The sad part is that, with the current numbers in the Senate, this vote could make a major impact. And don't I know it. If I didn't, I'd have to be comatose. It is emphasized everywhere I go, everywhere I look. And the vote isn't even until Tuesday!

I vote. I think it is important. But I do wish that even half of the money the national committees are pouring into this one vote could be used to truly help people instead. So even if you live in Alaska, or Hawaii, or Kansas, if you contribute to either the RNC, or DNC, I'm seeing them spend your money here.

Just wanted to share the joy!

In case you were wondering, Curt Schilling wants me to vote for Scott Brown. Barack Obama wants me to vote for Martha Coakley. And I don't trust or like either candidate.

lizbud
01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Indiana had more political ads for & against the Health Care bill,then
any poltiical issue in years.:eek: I can't imagine such an all out effort
by any political party ever. It was crazy.

I can't wait to see the next election time comes around.:rolleyes:

Karen
01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Even the word game site I occasionally visit has a political ad as the preroll. I keep the sound turned off on my machine most of the time anyway, or this would be even more annoying!

lizbud
01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
What is the political climate like in your state? Has there been any
state issues that have driven the current "feel" of the political climate?

Karen
01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
All anyone talks about now is the Senate campaign. There's nothing really about anything else, despite having regular problems going on.

Laura's Babies
01-15-2010, 09:07 PM
It's everywhere when it comes to elections, you are given choices between worse and worser... or the lesser of 2 evils.

Lady's Human
01-16-2010, 09:47 AM
And no, Atty Gen Coakley and Sen. Brown, I'm not going to call my friends in Massachusetts and tell them who to vote for.............

But there is a third party candidate running.

Freedom
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Here in RI, if you get your TV service through Verizon FIOS as I so, you get all the Coakley / Brown ads as well. AND they are on my RI radio station.

What a frenzy! Those 2 are going at it like crazy.

I understand it is an "off" election, not in November, and an important one. Need to get the word out for folks to VOTE! And voting IS important.

But my goodness, the tone of these ads! :rolleyes: :eek:

kuhio98
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Karen ~ I feel your pain. I'm getting to the point where no matter which party the incumbent belongs to, I'm tempted to vote them out!

Karen
01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
But there is a third party candidate running.

But the third party candidate is not running very hard. We hear nothing from or about him, it seems like he thought "Gee, my last name is Kennedy, maybe that's all I need," and has done nothing else. No ads, debates, speeches, letters, or even a postcard ... little wonder he is polling lower than "undecided" at this point.

Today we have had just as many messages on the machine as yesterday, and it's gotten to the point where, when the phone rings, I don't even bother to turn and look. If it's a real human that I know, I can call them right back.

lizbud
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
But the third party candidate is not running very hard. We hear nothing from or about him, it seems like he thought "Gee, my last name is Kennedy, maybe that's all I need," and has done nothing else. No ads, debates, speeches, letters, or even a postcard ... little wonder he is polling lower than "undecided" at this point.

Today we have had just as many messages on the machine as yesterday, and it's gotten to the point where, when the phone rings, I don't even bother to turn and look. If it's a real human that I know, I can call them right back.

What do you know about the Independant candidate? Maybe he thinks
it's hopeless in the face of all that money driven race.:)

Karen
01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
What do you know about the Independant candidate? Maybe he thinks
it's hopeless in the face of all that money driven race.:)

I know virtually nothing about him, and he's not even making an effort to reach me, whereas everyone else thinks I am a ripe target. I am registered as "unenrolled" - which means no party can lay claim to me. We used to say Independent, until that got turned into a party.

Grace
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Karen, Martha Coakley was on a radio interview Friday, and she called Curt Schilling another Yankee fan :eek::eek::eek:

That's almost sacrilegious in Massachusetts - I would think.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/curt-schilling-bloody-sock.jpg

Karen
01-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Karen, Martha Coakley was on a radio interview Friday, and she called Curt Schilling another Yankee fan :eek::eek::eek:

That's almost sacrilegious in Massachusetts - I would think.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/curt-schilling-bloody-sock.jpg

Oh, completely. And so we had a phone message from Curt Schilling today rebutting that. Not only does that prove how out-of-touch with Massachusetts public Martha Coakley is, but it proves that even her staff is either full of idiots or people from out of state to let that ever air.

Puckstop31
01-16-2010, 07:58 PM

:eek:

Wow. Grace's responce to this said it all.

Politicians are a strange breed.

On a side note.... I actually was lucky enough to meet Curt Schilling and even interact with him for a few hours. (Though I doubt he would remember me.) Curt owns a company called Multi-Man Publishing (MMP). MMP produces, mainly, a real old school board game called Advanced Squad Leader. Its a VERY complex (the complete rule book is over 300 pages) game. I used to play the game often, but then got married. (Enough said?) ANYWAY. Curt was a lot of fun and took his whoopin well. LOL (It was in the opening round of the big 'tournament'.) He's a great human being.

Years later... I saw him at the Baltimore airport, waiting like the rest of us schlubs for his plane with his family. Sadly, people other than I recognized him. He ended up surrounded by people. He just kept smiling and signing.

Curt Schilling = Righteous Dude.

Karen
01-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Curt Schilling = Righteous Dude.

He gets extra points from me for his work at fundraising for ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease, as that is what killed my mom. A gentleman.

lizbud
01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
After checking around for more info on this Senate race, I found a
inflattering article on the Dem candidate. Seems the author thinks
this Mass. AJ is not helping herself at all.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-01-15/stop-the-feminist-guilt-trip/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsC4

Grace
01-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the link, liz. I especially liked this -

Even if Martha Coakley, their cause célèbre, pulls through this race, she will enter the Senate in a vastly weakened position, perceived as a frontrunner who blew her lead and mangled her campaign. What’s more, Coakley’s lack of fight raises questions about her ability to effectively advocate for women’s issues as a legislator in a deeply divided Congress.

Lady's Human
01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
A testament to modern marketing.

My IP address shows a NY address, but I have various email accounts showing other addresses.

When I log into a defense/strategy discussion forum or check out drudge, I get ads for Sen. Brown.

When go to CNN, I get A.G. Coakley ads.

For some reason, though I'm a registered third party voter, the NY State DNC sends me messages personally through one of my spam trap email addresses.

I'd hate to see their marketing budgets, but I could probably live quite comfortably on a small % of what they're spending.

Freedom
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Today we had 5 phone calls reminding us to vote for Brown / Coakley.

This is a land line, with a 401 area code. We are in RI the election is in Mass.

What a waste of funds!!!

Karen
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
You just got 5, consider yourself lucky! I have lost track of how many calls have come in today, we just let the machine get it then delete it as soon as we hear who it is.

I am so looking forward to Wednesday! At least then when the phone rings maybe it'll be an actual human being on the other end!

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
This is my view of this election.

I care about it so much that I start to wonder how much sleep either candidate gets tonight. I could not imagine doing anything and having so much pressure put on you.:eek:

LOL, how many verses/drafts of their 'winning' speech have been written so far.;)

blue
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Curt Schilling was on the radio today. Sounds like a smart guy, cant wait to see what his software company is putting out.

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I laughed this morning because there was a camera crew in a MA town called Newton. The network had sent a TV crew out to get some voter shots?

It looked like a gym-they had some voting machines set up and I looked to see it there was anyone I knew out there....:D

Karen
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Good thing I haven't gone yet - might have been where I voted, which IS an elementary school gym! We usually wait until later in the day - fewer people with signs, less fuss!

I was out for a bit, and came back - three messages on the machine. One from Scott Brown, and one from Martha Coakley - the middle one was Paul's mum, who I had spoken to earlier, who said she was halfway up the stairs when the phone rang, and she thought it might be someone real, but nope, it was the Scott Brown call, and she already has sent in her vote absentee ballot!

Cataholic
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I haven't had a land line in years. No solicitations, no voting nonsense, no telemarketers, no running for the phone. Thank goodness this stuff doesn't happen on cell phones!

blue
01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Coakley Concedes!! Thank you Massachsetts!

The meltdown has already begun at the Democraticunderground.

Puckstop31
01-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow.

Read the comments on DailyKos. I'm saving some of that for the next time a lefty calls ME a 'hater'.

Gonna be a fun day on the news/commentary sites tomorrow.

*** Edit

Expect the spin from the losing side to be about anything except the real issues. I'm not a huge fan of Brown, what I know of him at least. But, IMO, this vote was about a lot more than just him.

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I was out for a bit, and came back - three messages on the machine. One from Scott Brown, and one from Martha Coakley - the middle one was Paul's mum, who I had spoken to earlier, who said she was halfway up the stairs when the phone rang,

What office was Paul's mom running for?:D;)

That is the second time that I have seen someone broadcast a political story from Newton.

blue
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Holy Chit! Even John Stewart went after Coakley [ETA]And The Dems Every Where!!![ETA].

Link! (http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002482/)

Grace
01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
*** Edit

Expect the spin from the losing side to be about anything except the real issues. I'm not a huge fan of Brown, what I know of him at least. But, IMO, this vote was about a lot more than just him.

I didn't care for either one of them - much like Karen. But I love that Brown won - just what we need in the middle of January, something to get everyone stirred up http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/treeswing.gif

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
"Everyone can afford a truck!"

The women, how much for the women?;):D:cool:

blue
01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
The women, how much for the women?;):D:cool:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/211270.jpg

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/211270.jpg

:D

I will watch the BB movie just to see that scene, the girl that tries to stifle her smile is the best part!

Karen
01-19-2010, 11:31 PM
What office was Paul's mom running for?:D;)

None. Ever. At all.

We voted around 5, no TV crew, or even a line.

RICHARD
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
None. Ever. At all.

We voted around 5, no TV crew, or even a line.

Good to know that at least one person calling into your home doesn't have political aspiriations.;)

______

One thing that I was wondering about was the fact that no one put any thought into this election, especially with all the 'work' that went into the pre holiday sessions to get the HCR bill in gear. Was everyone so sure that Coakley would win that they just didn't bother to pull her aside and give her a few tips about running for office?

Her political brothers and sisters should help take the blame for some of the loss.

------------

Upon closer exam?

The HCR bill, along with the 'transperancy' promised has stuck in the craw of most people.

IT's been just a strong arm push for what nthge politicos think is the best for us!:rolleyes::eek: