PDA

View Full Version : sarah palin

Marigold2
01-13-2010, 06:20 AM
I understand Palin is taking a job with Fox. Could it be about the money?
Was it always? Fox is very biased and has been coming under fire for their extreme right wing views, not news just opinions. She certainly picked the money card with the book and the Fox deal. Thinking about what is best for the US don't think so, thinking how to make the most money I do believe.

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM

I'd go on TV and dis my momma if the pay was right.:cool::rolleyes::o

catland
01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd go on TV and dis my momma if the pay was right.:cool::rolleyes::o

Seeing you on Fox News in a pair of snazzy red pumps! I'd pay to see that.:eek::p

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Seeing you on Fox News in a pair of snazzy red pumps! I'd pay to see that.:eek::p

Talk to FOX and get me that check! I need it!:eek:;)

catmandu
01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Someone in Hamilton is paying Ms Palin to speak at St Peters Hospital despite the fact that shes a Republican and is opposed to socialized medicine.
Which is how Hospitals in Canada are run.
200, 000 dollars!!
What a waste of money:eek:

phesina
01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Are there many Canadians who want to do away with the medical system you have there and adopt one like ours?

Lady's Human
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Was it always? Fox is very biased and has been coming under fire for their extreme right wing views, not news just opinions. She certainly picked the money card with the book and the Fox deal. Thinking about what is best for the US don't think so, thinking how to make the most money I do believe.

How DARE she follow in the footsteps of James Carville, George Stephanopolous and others.

Seriously, though, I cannot understand the fascination with the former VP candidate. She's done nothing most other candidates have done, yet when she does it she's ridiculed..........while others are praised for taking similar actions.

If it was former VP candidate Steve Palin making the same moves, not a word would be said.

Catty1
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Pat, there is a movement afoot to make for-profit services available, and some of it is in place.

For example - my new doc wants me to have a sleep study. I can wait 8 months to a year for the detailed overnight one, which is paid for by the government insurance - or I can do a short one where I bring the test machine home for $183 and change. They were able to take me in two days from the time they called me - I had to make it later, to Monday.

But no, to have it ALL for-profit? A lot of people would suffer, and would even die here.

The only concern with a for-profit element here is that the better doctors and others would work for the profit system, and the public system would be inferior. That is NOT fair.

JMO

Medusa
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM

I didn't realize that you watch Fox news, Monica.

caseysmom
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I didn't realize that you watch Fox news, Monica.

Don't confuse the issue!

Marigold2
01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Actually I don't watch Fox news. It isn't really news, it is a commentary that is very right wing. News is suppose be impartial, Fox is not. Every once and a while my husband will have it on and we laugh at them or scream back at the TV because they are so bias, silly and self-rightous. We shake or heads and wonder how anyone could believe the dripple of lies they tell.
Just please give me the facts I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind, I don't need Fox to tell me how or what to believe, I can think on my own, I can research facts on my own. God gave me free will, a brain and I use it.

Marigold2
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think you would find many.

Are there many Canadians who want to do away with the medical system you have there and adopt one like ours?

Medusa
01-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Actually I don't watch Fox news. It isn't really news, it is a commentary that is very right wing. News is suppose be impartial, Fox is not. Every once and a while my husband will have it on and we laugh at them or scream back at the TV because they are so bias, silly and self-rightous. We shake or heads and wonder how anyone could believe the dripple of lies they tell.
Just please give me the facts I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind, I don't need Fox to tell me how or what to believe, I can think on my own, I can research facts on my own. God gave me free will, a brain and I use it.

I'm curious then as to how you can say it isn't a news channel and that it's biased if you don't watch it. If you laugh and scream at the TV, that's hardly watching it, so to make such a judgment is unreasonable. It may be a conservative station but the rest of the stations are liberal, so what's the problem?

lizbud
01-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm curious then as to how you can say it isn't a news channel and that it's biased if you don't watch it. If you laugh and scream at the TV, that's hardly watching it, so to make such a judgment is unreasonable. It may be a conservative station but the rest of the stations are liberal, so what's the problem?

Do you know what the phrase " building straw men" means?

caseysmom
01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Do you know what the phrase " building straw men" means?

I have no idea but your right the op tends to make vast generalizations and rash judgements about things.

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.gradientmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/burning-man-2009-01.jpg
Burning straw man?

I have given up on most of the news channels.

Talk about biased?

I tune into the car crash that is msnbc to cath every angle and if that is not straight away hate speech?

Keith Olbermann is the best by far. Rachel Madcow and her spastic facial tics/head tilts are a riot.

I am tired of Glen Beck crying, I don't do Hannity anymore-pompous little twit- and Bill O waffles more than one of Tiger Woods' pancake girlfriends.:eek::rolleyes:

NPR are beset with commies, tree huggers and self righteous idealists that only care about the end result, not any of the means of getting there.

So, Sarah Palin will make a difference?

Probably not-But, maybe the women who hate her so much should ask their sisters not to enter politics.

Maybe a nice kitchen and babies galore is the answer?:confused::rolleyes::o:eek::mad:

kuhio98
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

I must have missed the rule about politicians taking a vow of poverty. What's wrong with earning money? :confused:

I think it's a good move for her. I hope she doesn't run for office again. I have never seen anyone get attacked like that. They attacked her whole family. (Naturally, they left the Obama kids alone.) Why would someone put their family through that again?

I think she did the right thing resigning as Govenor. We all know what a waste of time and money a lame duck session can be. She was right to step aside so that the State of Alaska didn't have to keep wasting money defending BS lawsuits against her.

Would you admire her more if she had done what Obama did? He was the Senator from Illinois for 4 years. Took the money but did pretty much nothing for the State he represented and ran for President almost the whole time. How much of Illinois' interests were really a priority for him? He was too busy raising funds to run for President than to do the job he was paid to do.

Cataholic
01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I must have missed the rule about politicians taking a vow of poverty. What's wrong with earning money? :confused:

I think it's a good move for her. I hope she doesn't run for office again. I have never seen anyone get attacked like that. They attacked her whole family. (Naturally, they left the Obama kids alone.) Why would someone put their family through that again?

I think she did the right thing resigning as Govenor. We all know what a waste of time and money a lame duck session can be. She was right to step aside so that the State of Alaska didn't have to keep wasting money defending BS lawsuits against her.

Would you admire her more if she had done what Obama did? He was the Senator from Illinois for 4 years. Took the money but did pretty much nothing for the State he represented and ran for President almost the whole time. How much of Illinois' interests were really a priority for him? He was too busy raising funds to run for President than to do the job he was paid to do.

I am not a fan of Palin, I think she came across as a ditz most of the time. BUT, I agree with you on both the media attacks and the vow of poverty. Last I checked, she is still free to make money, advance her (or the party's) cause, etc. If she wants to make movies, that is pretty much up to her, right?

momoffuzzyfaces
01-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I think she is just greasing the wheel for a run at the presidency next time. She can use Fox to get people to know her and back her. (won't work in my case but it may for others) :love:

caseysmom
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I am not a fan of Palin, I think she came across as a ditz most of the time. BUT, I agree with you on both the media attacks and the vow of poverty. Last I checked, she is still free to make money, advance her (or the party's) cause, etc. If she wants to make movies, that is pretty much up to her, right?

This is exactly how I feel, not sure why so many people are obsessed with her every move.

catmandu
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
We have a good Medical system here , but its far from perfect.
I feel that there are a lot of doctors who take advantage of the fact that they are billing the Government and add extra charges.
In 2008 the accountant found 1.6 BILLION dollars of dubious charges and wanted the Doctors to calrify their billing.
Somehow the files got erased and the Doctos got paid.
Thats an awful lot of waste , but most people think that its a free system.
Not a chance that money comes from the same cash cow, the over taxed Middle Class.
The Poor cant pay, and The Rich have accountants.

lizbud
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
If it was former VP candidate Steve Palin making the same moves, not a word would be said.

If the VPcandidate were Steve Palin, he would not have been picked.
The Party was after the womens vote, remember.:p

Karen
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it is just that she is a polarizing figure, not because of her gender or anything else. The last VP candidate I remember that didn't get into office was Lloyd Bentsen, and that's only because of his "You are no Jack Kennedy" quote that got replayed and replayed and replayed and replayed.

Grace
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Sarah Palin speaking on the Glenn Beck Show -

"I would be perfectly happy to go back to Wasilla, Alaska, with my five children and my grandson and raise a happy, healthy family loving our great outdoors – doing the things we do in Alaska. But, if I believe that in some capacity I can help this great nation, I’m going to be willing to sacrifice and to change some things in my lifestyle in order to, in order to serve. That doesn’t have to mean, though, top dog. That doesn’t have to mean really – entail having any kind of title.”

And if anyone really believes that first sentence, I know of a bridge for sale.

If she did go back - we wouldn't be talking about her. She puts herself out there, and then wonders why the big commotion. Just like the Paris Hilton types who can't breathe unless their picture is on the front page.

Marigold2
01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Exactly!

Sarah Palin speaking on the Glenn Beck Show -

And if anyone really believes that first sentence, I know of a bridge for sale.

If she did go back - we wouldn't be talking about her. She puts herself out there, and then wonders why the big commotion. Just like the Paris Hilton types who can't breathe unless their picture is on the front page.

Marigold2
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I watch bits and pieces of all the stations. As I said I try to get the facts and then make a sound judgement. Fox doesn't give many facts, they give opinions. Yes most stations are a bit to the left or the right, but Fox is extreme. Fox acts as if the American people cannot think for themselves they have to be told what to think, do and say.
I believe maybe 50 percent of what I hear from CNN, NBC, CBS and maybe 2 % from Fox.
When did reporting the news mean giving opinions? With TV, internet, newspaper, radio we can educate ourselves with the facts. Unless we are a=holes like Pat Robertson who believes the poor people of Haiti deserve this horrible thing. :mad::mad:
I laugh at the dripple Fox puts on the air because like Pat Robertson I can't believe what I am hearing or that anyone would believe some of the things that are said.
Last week on Fox there were 4 people debating and one women (don't know who she was) said that the American people are NOT worried about health care they are worried about their jobs, HELLO HELLO, excuse me but many people get their health care through their work, no job no health care. I couldn't believe she said that, it was so shocking and stupid.
And yet millions of people watch Fox and millions think Pat Robertson is great, go figure, it's a mad, mad world out there.

phesina
01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
We have a good Medical system here , but its far from perfect.
I feel that there are a lot of doctors who take advantage of the fact that they are billing the Government and add extra charges.
In 2008 the accountant found 1.6 BILLION dollars of dubious charges and wanted the Doctors to calrify their billing.
Somehow the files got erased and the Doctos got paid.
Thats an awful lot of waste , but most people think that its a free system.
Not a chance that money comes from the same cash cow, the over taxed Middle Class.
The Poor cant pay, and The Rich have accountants.

Thanks Gary. I just heard news of a group of doctors and others getting busted here for the same sort of thing: fraudulent billing of Medicare for dubious charges.

No matter what system or where, there will always be greedy people trying to cash in on it.

phesina
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Pat, there is a movement afoot to make for-profit services available, and some of it is in place.

For example - my new doc wants me to have a sleep study. I can wait 8 months to a year for the detailed overnight one, which is paid for by the government insurance - or I can do a short one where I bring the test machine home for $183 and change. They were able to take me in two days from the time they called me - I had to make it later, to Monday.

But no, to have it ALL for-profit? A lot of people would suffer, and would even die here.

The only concern with a for-profit element here is that the better doctors and others would work for the profit system, and the public system would be inferior. That is NOT fair.

JMO

Thanks, Candace. This is the kind of thing I hear about from the anti-"socialized-medicine" crowd. Their slant is, "People in Canada have to wait forever to get something done, so they come here to get it done sooner."

I don't think any system can be all-good, or all-bad for that matter. The trick is how to work it all out best for the health of all concerned.

This topic really deserves its own thread, I think. Maybe I'll start one. :eek:

Medusa
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I watch bits and pieces of all the stations. As I said I try to get the facts and then make a sound judgement. Fox doesn't give many facts, they give opinions. Yes most stations are a bit to the left or the right, but Fox is extreme. Fox acts as if the American people cannot think for themselves they have to be told what to think, do and say.
I believe maybe 50 percent of what I hear from CNN, NBC, CBS and maybe 2 % from Fox.
When did reporting the news mean giving opinions? With TV, internet, newspaper, radio we can educate ourselves with the facts. Unless we are a=holes like Pat Robertson who believes the poor people of Haiti deserve this horrible thing. :mad::mad:
I laugh at the dripple Fox puts on the air because like Pat Robertson I can't believe what I am hearing or that anyone would believe some of the things that are said.
Last week on Fox there were 4 people debating and one women (don't know who she was) said that the American people are NOT worried about health care they are worried about their jobs, HELLO HELLO, excuse me but many people get their health care through their work, no job no health care. I couldn't believe she said that, it was so shocking and stupid.
And yet millions of people watch Fox and millions think Pat Robertson is great, go figure, it's a mad, mad world out there.

First you say you don't watch it, then you say you do watch it. If you do watch it, then you know that all news channels have their opinion shows. CNN has their round table, MSNBC has Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow. Chris Matthews has his Hardball show. However, they all also have news, Fox being no exception.

If you consider yourself to be liberal, then can you be liberal enough to accept w/out judgment that others have views that differ from yours? It doesn't mean that they're stupid or extreme, just that you're on opposite sides of an issue. We're all Americans who love our country and we basically want freedom and justice for all, correct? Just b/c Fox ran a story about Pat Robertson doesn't mean that they agree w/him any more than CNN agrees w/him and they ran the same story. Fox and Pat Robertson don't go together any more than CNN and Pat Robertson do. Robertson has his own show on a religion channel. That's called news, Monica, and not "dripple". (I assume you mean to say "drivel". I don't make it a habit of correcting others but I looked up the word "dripple" to be sure that I'm not misspeaking and it doesn't appear to be a word, unless it's a slang word w/which I'm unfamiliar.)

blue
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
It seems that the OP and others dont understand the difference between news Reporting and news Commentary. I reccomend the books by long time liberal reporter and commentator Bernie Goldberg (http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Goldberg/e/B001IGUPNM/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0). I cant think of any major mainstream news outlet that strictly reports the news.

Its good to see Palin's haters still hating, she must be doing something right. As for making the most money I think LH covered the hypocracy on that comment for news commentators, but how much have Gore and the Clintons cashed in?

If the Juravinski Cancer Center and St. Peters Hospital think that $200K is a fair price for SP to help them raise money, wait... why is a government funded hospital having a fund raiser? Arent they fully funded by the government?

Kuhio, the haters dont care that she did the right thing by resigning, or that her family and children where attacked. She has alot of growing to do if she hopes to run for any office again.

If the GOP used her to get the women's vote, who's vote was the DNC after?

If yall would stop talking about her she would come back to AK, or dont you see that?

Marigold2
01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I am a liberal in some ways and in some ways not. I respect most people Pat Roberston I do not. His evil deserves NO respect. He should be fined and sent to prison for those remarks, spreading hatred and vile is evil.
I respect others people religous beliefs as long as they do not hurt others.
Parents refusing to give their children medical help is evil and wrong. Having sex with a 13 year old and marrying her is evil not something God would want a 48 year old to do.
Shooting, bombing, raping, destroying peoples homes in the name of God or Allah is wrong. God, Allah, Budda, Krishana,Jehovah, Neptune, Athena, Venus, Ra, Isis. None of these told us to kill our fellow man. But Pat Robertson, David Korsch, Jeffery Lundgren, Wayne Jeffers, Jim Jones these nut jobs all tried to tell us they know best, theirs was the way the only way and while your ad it lets spread hate, confusion and kill a few along the way for I am God's voice, or I am God. To disobey me is death.
I do not try and force my beliefs on others. I just ask people to keep an open mind. I respect people who take some time to study different faiths and come to their own conclusion be it Budda, Jewish, Hindu, Baptist, Mormon, Lutheran. Or perhaps to believe in no faith at all. Think, look in your heart, study and do what you feel is best, not what your parents and grandparents told you. It might be right for you, but it is also all you have been exposed to and of course you believe what mommy and daddy tell you, what you were told at 2, 5 7 11, 16, most young people are not taken to different churches to make up their own mind. Perhaps you are gay or bi and your religon says you will go to hell but it's all you know, that must be a terrible place to be. Or perhaps you made a pact with the devil as the people of Haiti and must suffer now. People take more time picking out a shampoo then they do looking for a faith that will be one with your soul and heart. I was raised Lutheran but their faith says that gays go to hell. I can't believe that. To me that is insane. They also said the earth was 5000 years old. I had to sit on my hands so as not to jump up and down and call the pastor a fool and a lier. The Jews say Jesus was not the son of God, maybe they are right, I don't know. But the Jews are an incredibly talented, educated and hard working people, I give them much respect. Do I try and change their mind, of course not? Did I tell my insane and lying pastor that the earth was more then 5000 years old, no, he would not understand or believe. Perhaps I should have hit him over the head with a fossel. You can't change peoples mind when they are that closed minded. I just figured when he gets up to heaven God will look at him and say (hey the earth is about 4.2 billion years old) what were you thinking with that 5000 year crap you were making me look bad.:rolleyes:

Puckstop31
01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Praise God for Barack Obama.

Really.

I've been entertained by the mindless left types who still defend this guy in the face of what is really happening.

It's 50ish BC Rome all over again.

Does anybody actually read a history book anymore?

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Is it too early to talk about how history will treat BO?;)

Lady's Human
01-14-2010, 11:38 PM

No, all history is is stories about a bunch of dead white guys. Who cares about that crap?

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
No, all history is is stories about a bunch of dead white guys. Who cares about that crap?

Remember the Alamo?:confused::eek::(

blue
01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
recuerden el alamo!

¿sí?

Medusa
01-15-2010, 05:52 AM
I am a liberal in some ways and in some ways not. I respect most people Pat Roberston I do not. His evil deserves NO respect. He should be fined and sent to prison for those remarks, spreading hatred and vile is evil.
I respect others people religous beliefs as long as they do not hurt others.
Parents refusing to give their children medical help is evil and wrong. Having sex with a 13 year old and marrying her is evil not something God would want a 48 year old to do.
Shooting, bombing, raping, destroying peoples homes in the name of God or Allah is wrong. God, Allah, Budda, Krishana,Jehovah, Neptune, Athena, Venus, Ra, Isis. None of these told us to kill our fellow man. But Pat Robertson, David Korsch, Jeffery Lundgren, Wayne Jeffers, Jim Jones these nut jobs all tried to tell us they know best, theirs was the way the only way and while your ad it lets spread hate, confusion and kill a few along the way for I am God's voice, or I am God. To disobey me is death.
I do not try and force my beliefs on others. I just ask people to keep an open mind. I respect people who take some time to study different faiths and come to their own conclusion be it Budda, Jewish, Hindu, Baptist, Mormon, Lutheran. Or perhaps to believe in no faith at all. Think, look in your heart, study and do what you feel is best, not what your parents and grandparents told you. It might be right for you, but it is also all you have been exposed to and of course you believe what mommy and daddy tell you, what you were told at 2, 5 7 11, 16, most young people are not taken to different churches to make up their own mind. Perhaps you are gay or bi and your religon says you will go to hell but it's all you know, that must be a terrible place to be. Or perhaps you made a pact with the devil as the people of Haiti and must suffer now. People take more time picking out a shampoo then they do looking for a faith that will be one with your soul and heart. I was raised Lutheran but their faith says that gays go to hell. I can't believe that. To me that is insane. They also said the earth was 5000 years old. I had to sit on my hands so as not to jump up and down and call the pastor a fool and a lier. The Jews say Jesus was not the son of God, maybe they are right, I don't know. But the Jews are an incredibly talented, educated and hard working people, I give them much respect. Do I try and change their mind, of course not? Did I tell my insane and lying pastor that the earth was more then 5000 years old, no, he would not understand or believe. Perhaps I should have hit him over the head with a fossel. You can't change peoples mind when they are that closed minded. I just figured when he gets up to heaven God will look at him and say (hey the earth is about 4.2 billion years old) what were you thinking with that 5000 year crap you were making me look bad.:rolleyes:

Judging from this post, your gripe is w/Pat Robertston and not Fox News or any news channel. You went completely off topic. The title of your thread is Sarah Palin. Perhaps I should not add anything further to this discussion.

catmandu
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
The Alamo is a myth that the Texicans were fighting for their freedom.
They were paid by the Slave interests to settle in Texas with the idea of having their plantations there. And the fact that Mexico was offering land cheap brought many as well but they had no interest in respecting the authority of the Mexican government.
They considered themselves superior to the Mexicans.
Then Mexico outlawed slavery so they set out to annex that territory by force so they could have the fertle land they needed.
Some how this story never is told in the movies.
And there were Mexicans fighting Sant Anna , but you never see them either.

blue
01-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Im not sure what your point about the Alamo is.

Alysser
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I respect most people Pat Roberston I do not. His evil deserves NO respect. He should be fined and sent to prison for those remarks, spreading hatred and vile is evil.

AND that would be a violation of the 1st amendmant - Freedom of Speech, and everything this country stands for. Being a liberal means standing by those principles.

DJFyrewolf36
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Im not sure what your point about the Alamo is.

I think that he was pointing out that in every point in history there are two sides and both sides often have a logical arguement...but the losing side rarely gets nearly as much say as the winner.

Maybe Im reading too much into things lol but I wonder what will be said of this in 100 or so years

DJFyrewolf36
01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
and by "this" I mean this whole election repubodemo back and forth. Sometimes I think the only two things the people of US are in agreement upon are the dislike of terrorists hurting us and our illiogical tendancy to be extremely opinionated even in the face of reason.

There are points of time where everyone is wrong and that everyone needs to step back and breathe.
btw srry for the double post my phone has a text input limit!

lizbud
01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
The Alamo is a myth that the Texicans were fighting for their freedom.
They were paid by the Slave interests to settle in Texas with the idea of having their plantations there. And the fact that Mexico was offering land cheap brought many as well but they had no interest in respecting the authority of the Mexican government.
They considered themselves superior to the Mexicans.
Then Mexico outlawed slavery so they set out to annex that territory by force so they could have the fertle land they needed.
Some how this story never is told in the movies.
And there were Mexicans fighting Sant Anna , but you never see them either.

I have not seen you partipate in threads other then the cat side, but
just wanted to thank you for your comments here. Oh, and you are right
on in the facts about the Alamo.:)

catmandu
01-17-2010, 02:57 PM
My point about the Alamo was that the Texicans were not fighting for freedom , they were fighting for the right to own slaves which the Mexicans had made illegal. Davey Crockett was broke, and was paid by slave interests to promote their agenda as he was a well known name at the time.
I am sorry if I was unclear.
When I see Gunsmoke I have to wonder as they have mixed up the roles of the Sherriff and an US Marshall.
A sherriff would handle the day to day crimes in Dodge City, an US Marshall would go through the territory enforcing Federal Laws only.
But they couldnt have had a regular cast that way, so they blurred the lines a bit.

blue
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
OK I thought you might have been insinuating SP was for slavery.

catmandu
01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
There is and always be slavery in the World. They just call it different things like indentured servitude or huge companies exploiting workers in the Third World by paying them a dollar an hour and treating them as badly if not worse than the traditional slave.
But the West will pay for this eventually as it was not a good idea to send jobs oversea. A Country needs to produce to back up their currency not just consumerism.