PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Earthquake?

RICHARD
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
There are time when we (in the continental U.S.) get totally ripped by Mother Nature. We all band together and somehow pull thru.

If you get a chance to even think about the people on Haiti, please do so.

If you get a chance to get involved?

Better.

----------------

After the '94 quake that took place in Northridge, CA., my mom went with my sister to get some help with her living arrangements. Her apartment was damaged and she could not live there anymore.

Some Red Cross worker approached her as she waited for my sis and asked her if she needed anything.*

She told them that she didn't need anything and the RCW told her to shut up-SHE NEEDED A SANDWICH...

She was given a sandwich and a drink.

Everytime she told that story she would break into tears recounting the kindness of that person.

---------------

I heard today that Haiti was one of the poorest Northern Hemisphere countries.

One sandwich and a drink. That's one Subway/McDonald's/Jack In The Box feast during our lunch time.:confused:

What is that to a Haitian that lives on two bucks a day?

--------------------------------

Tonight?

The news helicopters were above the house and I thought some one else got killed in the 'hood.:rolleyes:

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/usar-may-be-deployed-to-haiti-20100112

Wow. A little community pride in the hood!:)

------------------------

I keep saying this to everyone out there?

Please get a box and put some really cheap and simple stuff away in case you ever have a natural disaster knock on your door.

And if you get a chance to push a few bucks in the direction of a care agency?

Thanks.

Earthquakes are the ultimate betrayal by Mother Nature.
You get wind, rain, snow, floods, hurricanes and all kinds of shiat from above?

Pray that you never have the solid ground you are standing on, start to bend, flex and shake under your feet.

------------------------

*the water heater was torn away from the wall and had flooded her house in the quake......it took a few days and team effort to get our house back on track, but we did it!:D

Scooter's Mom
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
After my home burned down in December 1994, I was devastated... I ran out of the house (and back in to save pets until the firemen wouldn't let me back in) without shoes on.

The Red Cross workers came out the next day and gave me a voucher for some new shoes. I have never been more grateful than I was at that moment.

My neighbors all pitched in and got us clothes to wear until we could get back into the non-damaged part of our apartment.

If I had anything to spare and donate to the relief fund, I would. I believe so strongly in their mission.

Laura's Babies
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
It sounds like a horriable situation there for those people! I hate that something like that happens anywhere! The news we get from there tomorrow will not be good I'm afraid...:(

blue
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Its good to see Americans ramping up to help others in need after a natural disaster in another country.

Marigold2
01-13-2010, 06:23 AM
We americans always help other countries, I wonder how many would come to our aid if we needed them. An earthquake can happen just about any where and we are all people of this earth, so yes we need to help our fellow man when we can.

moosmom
01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Please light a candle for all the victims of this tragedy in Haiti. I have a dear friend, a priest/physician, Father Rick Frechette, who runs an orphanage and hospital in Haiti. I haven't heard anything. The toll-free # to call is jammed. I'm going to wait before I call Rick's parents, who live in CT.

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I can't even watch some of the coverage....

Too close to home.:(

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
What a tragedy! Some of the pictures that are getting thru are just too horrible to imagine.

The pups vet's father lives in the Dominican Republic - or at least he did a couple of years ago. She was telling me once how she and her sister were going there on vacation to visit. I know he's not native to that area, and don't know if he even still lives there.

I'm just praying for her, and that her father is safe.

lvpets2002
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
:( That is such Horrible News about their Earthquake.. I sure hope they get lots of help from EveryBody/Countries.. I know USA will help as well.. Those poor people.. Just Devastating.. Lots Lots of Prayers to send..

Karen
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
The devastation is terrible, and we will be keeping the people of Haiti in our prayers. I also know that my church - their national relief organization - will have ways to help, but I cannot even get to their website right now.

3Catcondo
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
This makes me sick to my stomach. How terrible...And to make it worse the Today show was showing some victims that were killed on the news this morning. :( I will be praying and sending good thoughts to those affected for as long as it takes. It sounds like the US is ready to go offering alot of help. I wish I could go down there and do something, too.

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I watched until I couldn't.

The photos we see are a small part of the whole picture.

Incredible.:(

Laura's Babies
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Andrea Biocelli has this on his facebook page:

Urgent appeal of the Foundation
Francesca Rava - N.P.H. Italia Onlus in Port au Prince capital
has numerous projects including a paediatric hospital, an orphanage and
Schools Street in the worst affected districts. We urgently need aid.
Father
Rick Frechette priest and doctor in first... line, Director of N.P.H.
Haiti is coordinating relief efforts with his staff and Italy is
starting a group of medical volunteers of the Foundation to bring
immediate help.
Urgently needed funds to support the
medical relief emergency, organize the excavation of the ruins for
Save the missing persons, reconstruction of the hospital.
For help
Rava Francesca Foundation - Italy ONLUS Tel 0254122917 N.P.H.
Bulletin
postal on postal c / 17775230; transfer to bank account Bank
MEDIOLANUM SpA, AG. Basiglio 1 (MI) IT 39 G 03062 34210
000000760000causale: earthquake Haiti
credit card on line at www.nphitalia.org or by calling the 02 5412 2917
WE ARE ALREADY ANTICIPATING 400 000 DOLLARS TO HELP THE FIRST RELIEF OF FATHER RICK TO SUPPORT US WITH YOUR DONATIONS

Medusa
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Believe it or not, little Canal Fulton had an earthquake about 17 years ago. It was the oddest thing I've ever felt and I didn't even know what it was. Obviously, there was no damage but everyone went outside and we were all looking up at the roofs of our buildings b/c it felt like someone was stomping on the roof. It scared me to death. I can't even imagine being in such a devastating earthquake as the one in Haiti. I've purposely avoided the footage. I just can't watch it. They're going to need prayers for a long time to come and plenty of aid.

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Believe it or not, little Canal Fulton had an earthquake about 17 years ago. It was the oddest thing I've ever felt and I didn't even know what it was. Obviously, there was no damage but everyone went outside and we were all looking up at the roofs of our buildings b/c it felt like someone was stomping on the roof. It scared me to death. I can't even imagine being in such a devastating earthquake as the one in Haiti. I've purposely avoided the footage. I just can't watch it. They're going to need prayers for a long time to come and plenty of aid.

Doll, I have been thru FIVE quakes and they don't make you feel good.

The first substantial quake will keep you awake for weeks. Every creak of the house and heavy truck theat drives by puts you on edge and you get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Every aftershock is an adventure.

Your butt cheeks clench, you get up on your arms, if you are sitting and start to think about which way to run.-then it's over.

I have been on the pot when an afterschock hit and for a split second thought about being found in the pile of rubble with me pans around me ankles!

You wave bye-bye to storms, flood and stuff like that. Quakes? you never see them coming.:eek:

lizbud
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
The devastation is terrible, and we will be keeping the people of Haiti in our prayers. I also know that my church - their national relief organization - will have ways to help, but I cannot even get to their website right now.

The damage done is almost unimaginable for most of us in the USA.
It's bad, very bad.:( My sister's SIL works for their church group and
was trying to contact the church group ministry in Haiti. They wanted
ot send aid, but must first locate the group. Prayers for them all,
especially the childen.

Catty1
01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Canada's Governor-General, Michaelle Jean, was born in Haiti. She spoke to Canadians today, and broke down several times.

This reminds me of the tsunami 5 years ago...just horribly indescribable.:(

Catty1
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Has emerg contact numbers etc.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=252988675717&ref=nf

Cinder & Smoke
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Be VERY CAREFUL how you "Donate" to the Haiti Relief -
there are SCAMMERS at work trying to take your money!!

READ THIS >>>
Beware of bogus online ‘help’ for Haiti ...
If you want to donate money, consider known and reliable charities ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34845486/ns/technology_and_science-security/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34845486/ns/technology_and_science-security/)

Catty1
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Absolutely, Phred! I posted a separate thread with some more links and tips on NOT being scammed:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=158519

It is hard to believe that there are people sick enough to make money off this...infuriating and sad.:(:mad:

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Not trying to sensationalize things about the quake-I can't help but think about THEIR health care system, before and today. :eek: Ouru HC system, in the same situation is just as useless.

How lucky we are to have such a vast wealth of resources to be able to help out. No "Brownie" or "the prez don't like black people" comments, please?:(

Religion?

We have had threads about good and evil, religion and such....

I say, "what kind of god would visit upon such poor people, such pain?"

It's bigger than us all, but just small enough to affect everyone.:confused::(

Grace
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM

According to Pat Robertson, it's all due to Haiti's pact to the Devil.

Link (http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2010/01/haiti_the_devil_and_pat_roberton.html?hpid=topnews )

Personally, I think his age is catching up with him :(

cassiesmom
01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I heard today that Haiti was one of the poorest Northern Hemisphere countries.

I heard that on the news. They were struggling before the earthquake and that has only made things worse. At my rehearsal at church tonight the music director announced that someone from church was able to reach our missionary in the Dominican Republic. They even felt it on their side of the island, they are fine and trying to figure out what to do to help.

Marigold2
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
[May he rot in hell for that comment. What a horrible, crazy, evil, evil comment. A man of God, NO NO NO. He is a crazy and anyone who follows him needs to open their eyes WIDE and really listen to what this a=hole just said, what these words really mean.
Innocent people, innocent children, animals are suffering Pat Roberston I could just choke the life out of you myself. How dare you? Freaking monster.

Link (http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2010/01/haiti_the_devil_and_pat_roberton.html?hpid=topnews )

Personally, I think his age is catching up with him :([/QUOTE]

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 03:10 AM

The devil misrepresented hisself in that one!

It was Chris Columbus that started the whole mess.:rolleyes:

pomtzu
01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

He deserves to be tarred and feathered - with a sock stuffed in his mouth! :mad:

Karen
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
He deserves to be tarred and feathered - with a sock stuffed in his mouth! :mad:

I am confident that he will have to answer to The Boss for his actions and statements.

Anyway, I got an email from my church today, and they had 6 teams on the ground in Haiti before the quake, and we will be taking a special offering to help rescue and recovery efforts.

moosmom
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Pat Robertson is on crack. HE should go there and help out. Then he'll get a real taste of reality. Jerk!!:mad:

I just got word that my friend Father Rick is okay and working on the rescue effort.

pomtzu
01-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I am confident that he will have to answer to The Boss for his actions and statements.

Just one slightly off topic comment:

One of the ladies on The View this a.m. made an interesting statement regarding PR. Not her exact words, but close to it ~~~~~ This man knows and talks so much about the Devil - maybe it's he who is the Devil.

Catty1
01-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe takes one to know one, huh? ;)

The Canadian government has announced it will match individual Canadian's donations dollar for dollar. Of course, the gov't has their own teams independent of this.

lvpets2002
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
:rolleyes: I cant stand that man Pat R.. He is a joke.. That is as I always say is What Comes Around Will Go Around.. Just what Candace said It Takes a Devil to know One..

Catherinedana
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM

You wave bye-bye to storms, flood and stuff like that. Quakes? you never see them coming.:eek:

You can always move to FL and watch the hurricane reports with me and the birdies. You can be their Uncle Richie!

On a more serious note, I am one of the performers at an inter-faith, international concert tomorrow night to celebrate the memory and commemorate birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It has been decided that none of the musicians will take money from the love offering that will be collected. We will be donating it all the earthquake relief fund. My heart hurts for those people. . . .:(

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
You can always move to FL and watch the hurricane reports with me and the birdies. You can be their Uncle Richie!

Great!

At least I know when to get angst-ridden. I can schedule my time more appropriately?:p:eek:;)

Grace
01-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Let's not forget the other ray of sunshine - Rush Limbaugh.

Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Limbaugh said the earthquake has played into Obama’s hands, allowing the president to look “compassionate” and “humanitarian” while at the same time bolstering his standing in both the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He added: “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

link (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31502.html)

pomtzu
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Let's not forget the other ray of sunshine - Rush Limbaugh.

link (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31502.html)

Moron!! He can stand beside PR and get the same treatment that I wished for PR.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
I had to stop watching the coverage. My heart hurts for these people, specially the children. I wish I could put my arms around them all and make the terror go away and make it all better for them. :( :love:

A man at Walmart this morning was complaining about everything. Nothing major just the wait time to check out didn't suit him and nothing else on the planet did either. I told him he should be grateful he wasn't in Haiti. That shut him up!!! :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
We have had threads about good and evil, religion and such....

It's bigger than us all, but just small enough to affect everyone.:confused::(

You know, Richard, I often wonder if I have a different version of the Bible than others do. In mine, Jesus, was the first in line to heal or help someone who was hurting. He didn't turn his back on anyone.

When asked what the greatest commandment was he said to love God with all your heart and love your brother as yourself. Not just love people you like or the ones who are tall or short or green or rich. Just love all of them. He said if you do that, all the other commandments will fall into place. :love:

Asiel
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
I tried watching the coverage but found it too much. Our Governor General is from Haiti and she had to excuse herself from speaking during the coverage as she started crying and couldn't go on...that's when I stopped watching, just too sad.

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
You know, Richard, I often wonder if I have a different version of the Bible than others do. In mine, Jesus, was the first in line to heal or help someone who was hurting. He didn't turn his back on anyone.

I do understand. I went Catholic school-the one with the nuns from BOSTON, and I have always wondered about his putting a finger down anywhere on the planet and having his way with us at times?:eek:

Is it too naive to believe my god doesn't do earthquakes and stuff like this?;)

To me?
It's more like a problem with mother nature and god steps in afterwards to help us clean up the mess?

I am in no way trying to discredit any god, religion or belief that anyone practices.

I just think of god as being as benevolent as you have described, I just don't see him doing earthquakes or tsunamis to people.

It's not his style?;)

------------

As I get older, I don't judge people by their god, It's far more interesting to know they believe.

Candy317
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Text Yele to 501501 for a $5 donation to help Haiti through Wyclef's org or HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 through the RedCross.

This is a very tragic thing, most of my family lives in the D.R. and they even felt the impact. Haiti had so little to begin with, now they probably have not much left.

One of my friend's grandma died and her cousin is the hospital...please send more prayers for my friend!

lizbud
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM

I think Robertson has been dotty for years now.:rolleyes:

lizbud
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM

When asked what the greatest commandment was he said to love God with all your heart and love your brother as yourself. Not just love people you like or the ones who are tall or short or green or rich. Just love all of them. He said if you do that, all the other commandments will fall into place. :love:

What a wonderful post.:) Thank you Moff. ((Hugs))

Karen
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
My church sent out an email today, and we will have a special offering for Haitian relief. Funny enough, the song the choir is going to sing was picked prior to the quake, but we are sing "His Eye is On the Sparrow," which seems appropriate.

I wanted to add that my pastor rarely send out an email, so this is obviously different, tragic and important.

Text Yele to 501501 for a $5 donation to help Haiti through Wyclef's org or HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 through the RedCross.

This is a very tragic thing, most of my family lives in the D.R. and they even felt the impact. Haiti had so little to begin with, now they probably have not much left.

One of my friend's grandma died and her cousin is the hospital...please send more prayers for my friend!

Were any of your relatives in the DR hurt? We are only hearing about damage in Haiti. In any case, tell your friend and family we will be keeping them all in our prayers.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I do understand. I went Catholic school-the one with the nuns from BOSTON, and I have always wondered about his putting a finger down anywhere on the planet and having his way with us at times?:eek:

Is it too naive to believe my god doesn't do earthquakes and stuff like this?;)

To me?
It's more like a problem with mother nature and god steps in afterwards to help us clean up the mess?

I am in no way trying to discredit any god, religion or belief that anyone practices.

I just think of god as being as benevolent as you have described, I just don't see him doing earthquakes or tsunamis to people.

It's not his style?;)

------------

As I get older, I don't judge people by their god, It's far more interesting to know they believe.

There is an evil force in the world that my Bible calls Satan. I believe the evil in the world comes from him. The good that comes out of the evil that Satan creates comes from God. God has been cleaning up after Satan since the Garden of Eden. I also believe some day, God will have enough of it and put a stop to Satan once and for all.

I am like you, I don't judge people by their god but by their hearts. :love:

Marigold2
01-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I too could not watch long, it breaks my heart. The suffering will go on for a lifetime. Many of these children will have nightmares for years, some might never feel safe again in their homes. The far reaching efforts of this is more then most of us can bear, so we change the channel and watch something that amuses us, all the while their suffering goes on. I hope that we as a people do not forget them next week when new Tiger Woods news comes out.
The faces of the children haunt me so...............

blue
01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I wonder how many would come to our aid if we needed them.

Alot, you only have to look back to Katrina to see the amount of help was offered and how our .gov screwed that up.

My thoughts are with the victims and for those there to help.

I couldnt tell you how many earthquakes Ive been through. In a place as poor as Haiti is I would wager that even a minor shaker would have cause alot of devistation.

orangemm
01-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Anytime I watch the coverage I try to imagine how I would react in a horrific situation like that and I cannot even wrap my brain around it. The initial quake was bad enough, but the fallout will continue for years.

No food, no water, no bathroom facilities, no shelter....it is indescribable.:(

All we can do is pray and donate what we can afford. God be with those poor souls.

How anyone can criticize, question and spread hate at a time like this is unimaginable. How dare they?:mad:

momoffuzzyfaces
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
The faces of the children haunt me so...............

Me too! I still remember the face of a little African American boy after the Oklahoma bombing. The fireman carrying him had a bright yellow blanket wrapped around him.

The little fellows eyes were so wide with fright and his lower lip trembled. He was one of the lucky ones who made it. No child should have to endure horror like that. :(

pomtzu
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
It seems to get worse by the day - with time running out for those still buried in the rubble. With every hour that passes, their chances get slimmer.

I had to turn off the coverage I was watching last night. It just got to be too much when they showed bulldozers loading corpses into dump trucks to be hauled away - and no one seemed to know, or just were not saying - where they were taking them. All the cemeteries are full, so it doesn't leave much to the imagination.

So many people will never know what became of their loved ones. :(

RICHARD
01-15-2010, 07:23 PM
You'd think that I was smart enough to turn off the TV?

I've had two earthquake nightmares the last two nights.

I apologize if I have sounded dramatic.

I was in the basement of a 10 story building when one earthquake hit.

I knew one of the building engineers and he mentioned that the subfloor was a 6 or eight foot thick slab of concrete.

That day?

I watched that same subfloor ripple like a pond of water that had a stone dropped into it.

In another earthquake I saw a chocolate cake face down on a counter in my mom's kitchen....

I asked my mom and she told me that the freezer opened up, the cake flew about 4 feet, landed upside down on the counter, and the freezer door closed back up afterwards.

Nothing else fell out of the fridge.:eek:

Last story?

I heard this a while back.

Someone was checking their house after a quake and came across a bottle filled with change that was sitting outdoors, next to the home.

How it got there?

The quake lifted the house off the foundation, pushed the bottle of change out into the yard, resettled the home back down...Without breaking the bottle.:eek::confused::confused::eek:

slick
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I've just made my donation online at salvationarmy.ca :(:(

boomersooner
01-16-2010, 09:09 AM
A group of people from a local church here in Dallas were down there working at an eye clinic. All initially survived, but they showed an injured woman whose husband was in Dallas, watching. Her abdomen was very, very swollen. Well, she ended up passing away....I keep thinking about seeing her talking to her husband.....she is just one of the thousands who have injuries which probably could be treated if help was readily available.....so sad....I agree...the little kids break my heart. I'm afraid things are going to turn very badly over there, too, with the access to the island so limited. I know of someone whose military unit is on alert to go there...I'm sure for some sort of order. Everyone just needs to remember them in your prayers.

moosmom
01-16-2010, 09:15 AM
My good friend, Father Rick Frechette, from Haiti, receiving the Hollywood Humanitarian award, 10/09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrXA-JnODa8

RICHARD
01-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Just heard the So Cal area had a 4.3 shaker this morning, and OKLAHOMA had a 4.O quake, too.

I have heard of sympathy "pains", but this is ridiculous!:eek::(:confused:

Danny Glover said, during an interview, that Global warming was to blame for the Haitian quake.

Grace
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
A letter from Satan to Pat Robertson - printed in the Minneapolis Star Tribune . . . . .

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action.

But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"?

If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best, Satan

(LILY COYLE, MINNEAPOLIS)

Catty1
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Oh MAN that letter is great!!!!! :D Kudos to the paper for running it!

sirrahbed
01-17-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org has an easy to use website for donating

RICHARD
01-17-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14208258

Why deja vu sucks.:eek::(

Sorry, wrong link!

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14208258

A look at god from the epicenter.....

I tend to think that the Haitians, always living hand to mouth, are more in tune with what god wants from them, than we are.

The news clips of the people there trying to help each other is strangely calming and a sign that people really can rise above the pain at hand.

The one thing that really does amaze me is the work the people have done to clear the areas of the dead bodies. There is nothing dignified about being left on the street as a dead body, but the fact that someone took the time to place them where they could be laid to rest shows a kind of humanity that is strangely absent here in the states.

As sad as it is to say, I don't think us Americans would be able to overcome, survive or help each other, like these he people have.:(

Grace
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Watching the news last evening. A woman from Florida buried in the rubble of a grocery store, for 5 days. Yesterday she is rescued by a group of firefighters from Turkey and America. Talk about small world - the American firefighters were from the fire department in her city in Florida!!

This morning Dr. Sanjay Gupta is doing his original line of work, Neurosurgery, on the USS Carl Vinson.

NBC's medical expert, Dr. Nancy Snyderman, is also helping out the sick and injured.

As sad as it is to say, I don't think us Americans would be able to overcome, survive or help each other, like these he people have.

I don't agree with this at all. I remember after Katrina - it was ordinary people who came to help.

boomersooner
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I saw on our local news station where our ENT doctor is part of a group of doctors from Dallas who have gone down there to help. He was talking about the number of amputations and such because of the infections. Horrible.

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I saw on our local news station where our ENT doctor is part of a group of doctors from Dallas who have gone down there to help. He was talking about the number of amputations and such because of the infections. Horrible.

Dude,
I was almost in tears when I saw a report at one center that was doing amputations with a hacksaw. THey were running out of alcohol and were using vodka and rum to sterilize the instruments.:(

Laura's Babies
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
My concern is how long it has taken to get these people just the basic needs. I thought the world learned after Katrina but it seems they did not. People going 4 and 5 days without food and water is just inhumane. Those that survived the actual earth quake by then are themselves in serious condition..

Who can blame the people for becoming angry and violent?

Grace
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
My concern is how long it has taken to get these people just the basic needs. I thought the world learned after Katrina but it seems they did not. People going 4 and 5 days without food and water is just inhumane. Those that survived the actual earth quake by then are themselves in serious condition..

Who can blame the people for becoming angry and violent?

The problem is that many of these survivors are in areas that are unreachable because of the devastation caused by the quake. Roads are impassable.

The 82nd Airborne arrived yesterday - that may help.

Another problem - there is no fuel available at the airport for the planes. That means they have to land heavy - with enough fuel to take off once they unload.

Catty1
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I am hearing reports of help reaching more remote areas outside the city.

And they are still finding survivors! Yikes!

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I am hearing reports of help reaching more remote areas outside the city.

And they are still finding survivors! Yikes!

Was it the woman from FL that was pinned in the rubble for 100 hours on her knees?

And what about the peanut butter and jelly guy?

I probably would gag if I ate PB&J after being stuck in a store w/nothing but that for days!

Grace
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Was it the woman from FL that was pinned in the rubble for 100 hours on her knees?

And what about the peanut butter and jelly guy?

I probably would gag if I ate PB&J after being stuck in a store w/nothing but that for days!

The woman from Florida is the one I mentioned in my last post (#60). She was found yesterday - day 5.

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't agree with this at all. I remember after Katrina - it was ordinary people who came to help.

I was alluding to the people AT the site of the disaster.

In '94 people we pi$$ing and moaning about how the gov't. and local officials didn't come to their aid. THEY/WE did nothing to help ourselves when we needed to.

I am talking about the people in and around the San Fernando Valley. The most common problem was people getting fecal matter stuck under the nails of their thumbs.

I do not expect the FD/PD/FEMA to show up for a few days after anything happens. Ordinary people did come here to help but, that was after the first 72 hours-we had already taken it on the chin.

Katrina was a U.S. based catastrophe, we didn't have to worry about getting to an island and off loading supplies on an airstrip that had no control tower and two runways? The logistics of Katrina, while just as bad, served as a blueprint for what not to do, expect or how to handle a disaster like that.

There are differences between a hurricane an earthquake.
You can prepare for a 'cane or pretty much and wind/weather disaster.

Try this.

Wake up at 4:00 a.m.
Grab your clothes and run out of the house, with no shoes on.

Oh, before you go to sleep- break glass, pull down some furniture to block the exit path you have chosen, and make sure the water heater is on the floor leaking, the gas line is broken and it's pitch black outdoors.;)

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey, I just had a glass of Hater-Ade.

I tuned into CNN and Larry King had a motley crew of 'stars' on to help raise money.

He had Danny Glover, Paula Abdul and and idiot named Peter Wentz?

LK is an idiot.

He asks Wentz some question and PW breaks into this "I have to figure out what to tell the kids about the earthquake..."

What is he going to do? Lie to them or use that as the "parent's threat"?

IF YOU DON'T GO TO SLEEP YOU'LL SUFFER the same fate as a Haitian child?

How's about telling the little ---t the truth. Something terrible has happened there and people are suffering.

Be thankful of what we have at the moment, it could disappear in the time it takes you to send a TWEET......:confused::rolleyes:

----------------

I think it's great that the 'stars' give huge amounts of money, but the real turnoff is when people start to try and "out give" each other.

Madonna gave 250k but someone else gave a million? Shut up and just adopt a few kids so you can be cool again, Gosh, if you can't get the African model adoptee, shoot for the Haitian.

Trust me, no amount of money will me a fan of yours.

Now, if you showed up, unannounced in Haiti and started to hand out supplies without making a big deal out of it?

I may reconsider.:eek:

Grace
01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I was alluding to the people AT the site of the disaster.

Then that is what you should have said.

Laura's Babies
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought the world learned after Katrina

The key word here is the word "AFTER"... after the strorm was over and the people had to wait days for any help as in food and water..The same in Haiti. I, in NO way was comparing a hurrican to a earth quake, there is NO comparison. Just the delay in getting help in to the people who needed it.. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Then that is what you should have said.

Most of the people in the next American catastrophe will be walking in circles trying to get on YouTube to post video, Facebook, e-mail or Google trying to figure out trying to post a blog. Did I mention Twitter.

BTW, to illustrate my stellar record as a quick thinking dude in a 'situation'?

I was at work in one EQ and I immediately stuck my arse under the desk.
I heard the gal that was working with me yell my name and she came running to my desk, trying to wedge into the kneehole with me.

I shoved her out and told her to get under the other desk a few feet away.

Later on I tried to justify my 'actions' by telling her that if the building fell on us?

They would find the both of our nasty arses wedged tightly into that space.

So, what would her husband have thought?

Seriously?

You have not lived or been traumatized until you start to play, "what if"....

"What does ten stories of building look like on my head?"

Altho we joked about it later, I wondered if I could live with myself had the building fallen, I survived, but my coworker dies because I pushed her out of my hidey hole?

Ride bikes, motocycles, go climb hills and drink until you grow gills?

When it's all out of your hands, you'll pray to any old god, any where, any time.

-----------

The kindness, generosity and sacrifices made by the American people have no equal on the planet.
We are a country of overachievers, goofballs, nitwits and morons.

But, GD.....We can do ANYTHING we want.

We can move heaven, earth and a few planets to get things done.

Where does Uranus figure in all this? Now I am really:confused: We can't figure out if gays can marry, pot should be illegal or if Elvis died on the can or not.

When I see American citizens piling their dead neighbors out on the streets- I will bellieve.

Check it out.

What was the purpose of the impromptu parade/prayer deal on the Haitian
streets a few days after the quake?:eek:;)

Those people have less baggage and more heart that we will ever know.

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
The key word here is the word "AFTER"... after the strorm was over and the people had to wait days for any help as in food and water..The same in Haiti. I, in NO way was comparing a hurrican to a earth quake, there is NO comparison. Just the delay in getting help in to the people who needed it.. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

You know about logistics and the mission to get your cargo/laod to the desired location. And that's on a good day without some drunken pilot taking out a bridge pier!:eek:

We can do Katrina and the Waves, a 9/11 attack or Cali earthquake dozens of times, but we cannot anticipate what we need to do in each situation.

-----------------

I am always irritated about the people here in Lost Angeles who complain about their houses burning down during the fires.

They will not admit they didn't clear the brush from around their homes, didn't trim trees, put in sprinklers, take fire insurance or water proof their undies. They want a fire truck and 15 firemen on each corner, yet the balk at paying a few extra bucks in city taxes for the firefighters they need.

After the next disaster listen to backlash from the peope who lose, then ask yourself what did they do to prepare?

LOL, they loaded up the Land Cruiser with their son's baseball trophies, the wife's shoes and the computer with the HALO game on it.:eek:

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_14218232

http://www.searchdogfoundation.org/98/html/index.html

Grace
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
53 orphans to Pittsburgh; 90 more to the Netherlands and France.

Rescue mission bringing Haitian orphans to Pittsburgh
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

By Sadie Gurman and Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A team of medical personnel accompanied by Gov. Ed Rendell and U.S. Rep. Jason Altmire was in the air and headed to Pittsburgh early today with 53 children from an orphanage in earthquake-ravaged Haiti.

The mercy mission, which included medical staffers from several Pittsburgh area hospitals, was beset with paperwork problems involving the orphans that forced the rescue team to return on a different plane.

But after several hours on the ground at the airport in Port-au-Prince, the children boarded a C-130 military transport plane and took off around 11 o'clock last night, bound for Homestead Air Force Base in Florida. After a refueling stop, the plane was to fly to Pittsburgh.

The mercy mission, funded by an unknown sponsor, left about 11 a.m. yesterday from Pittsburgh International Airport aboard a Republic Airways chartered jetliner that carried Mr. Rendell, Mr. Altmire and the medical teams.

But after landing in Port-au-Prince early yesterday evening, the jetliner, which was only allowed to remain on the ground for two hours, was forced to depart before officials could resolve some documentation issues, said Gary Tuma, a spokesman for the governor.

Mr. Tuma said officials scrambled to secure another plane to bring the orphans back to Pittsburgh.

The rescue mission came in response to messages last week from sisters Jamie and Ali McMutrie of Ben Avon, who said last Tuesday's devastating earthquake endangered the health of 130 children in their care at the BRESMA orphanage in Port-au-Prince.

Mr. Tuma did not know whether any of the children had serious injuries from the earthquake, which destroyed a large part of their orphanage.

Earlier yesterday, officials said the plan was to have as many as 61 children, ages 1 to 4, waiting at the Port-au-Prince airport and immediately board the plane, which was under orders to leave within two hours. Once in Pittsburgh, they were to be taken to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC for evaluation, Mr. Tuma said.

UPMC officials early this morning put the number of children on board the plane at 53.

Also aboard the charter flight were medical personnel from UPMC, West Penn Allegheny Health System, Pittsburgh Mercy Health System and Excela Health.

Catholic Charities has made arrangements for their care until they are adopted, he said.

About 90 other children from the orphanage were being taken in similar rescue missions conducted by the Dutch and French governments, he said.

The Pennsylvania mission was arranged with various agencies including the U.S. State Department, the Department of Homeland Security and military.

"The reason the governor is personally on the plane is that the Haitian ambassador thought it was important to have someone of his stature on the plane so if the mission ran into difficulty he might be able to break down some of the barriers," Mr. Tuma said.

He said he did not know how the mission was being funded.

Also among those on board was Mary Carrasco, director of A Child's Place in the Pittsburgh Mercy system, which provides care for children who are abused, neglected or in foster care. With her was a Haitian interpreter who speaks Creole to communicate with the children, according to Joan Mills, who works in Dr. Carrasco's office.

Over the days leading up to the trip, Dr. Carrasco and her team gathered medical supplies including Pedialyte, wipes, diapers, cups, bottles, pacifiers and other items to care for the children.

Ms. Mills said they expected to find children beset with dehydration, diarrhea and other problems related to lack of food, water, health care and sanitary facilities.

Also on the flight were Joyce Leifer, a pediatrician who is associated with Children's Hospital; Ed Sites of the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work; Connie Moore of Excela Health's Latrobe Hospital, who has experience as a pediatric nurse; and three professionals from West Penn Allegheny: Chip Lambert, an emergency medicine doctor, Deborah Bohan, a physician's assistant in pediatrics critical care at AGH Suburban, and Arc Balest, a neonatalogist.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029290-455.stm#ixzz0d5hyAiVG

momoffuzzyfaces
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Considering how awful things are in Haiti right now, it's best for them to be taken out of there. Easier on them and easier for everyone to take care of them. Poor babies!!! My heart breaks for them. :love::love:

Grace
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Just being reported on CNN, a woman has been found - ALIVE - in the rubble of the National Cathedral. That is an absolute miracle!

Grace
01-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Another miracle from yesterday - one week after the quake.

A group from NYPD, NYFD, and from Virginia rescued a brother and sister, ages 8 and 10.

Iceland, Poland, China, Venezuela, Canada, Mexico, USA, Spain, France, Germany, etc, etc, etc . . . . . . the countries of the world are involved.

lvpets2002
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
:( I guess you all heard on the news this morning that Another Earthquake of 6.1 hit them Again.. Its just so Horrible..

RICHARD
01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
:( I guess you all heard on the news this morning that Another Earthquake of 6.1 hit them Again.. Its just so Horrible..

THAT, on it's own, is a rather large earthquake.:eek:

lvpets2002
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
That is what I thought.. They said it was about 1 hour away from the capital.. From what I understand is that it will keep happening now since Haiti is on a Land Fault..

CountryWolf07
01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Not a earthquake, but it was a aftershock..

boomersooner
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I listened to a report a couple of days ago about the looting. The reporter said the number one "prize" to come out of the looting was toothpaste. The people use it to rub under their noses to try and mask the stench.

RICHARD
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Just what I thought.

RICHARD
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.....

I am a wuss. There was a very -ast thunder storm that -lew past the house.
The thunder was so loud, it shook the ground.

I stopped, my heart skipped a beat and I listened to the window -rames rattle in that oh-so-threatening manner that makes you think about an earthquake.

I looked for the Edster-I am grabbing his little rear end before anything else-then realized it was not the earth moving.

It was god telling me to behave.:D:confused:

Thank goodness I live alone, How do you explain you need a shower and change of clothes to your loved ones?:D:(:eek:

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
LOL, here's my resume

DATE TIME(GMT) LATITUDE LONGITUDE MAG LOCATION

1971 2 9 14 0 34 25.00 118 24.00 6.5 San Fernando
1973 2 21 1445 34 4.00 119 2.00 5.2 Point Mugu
1980 5 25 1633 37 36.00 118 50.00 6.1 Mammoth Lakes
1980 5 25 1649 37 39.00 118 54.00 5.9 Mammoth Lakes
1980 5 25 1944 37 33.00 118 49.00 5.8 Mammoth Lakes
1980 5 27 1450 37 29.00 118 48.00 6.0 Mammoth Lakes
1986 7 8 920 34 0. 116 36.00 6.0 North Palm Springs
1987 10 1 1442 34 3.00 118 5.00 5.8 Whittier Narrows
1989 10 18 0004 37 2.19 121 52.98 7.1 Loma Prieta
1992 4 23 450 33 58.00 116 19.00 6.1 Joshua Tree
1992 6 28 1157 34 12.00 116 26.00 7.3 Landers
1992 6 28 1505 34 12.00 116 50.00 6.2 Big Bear
1993 5 17 2320 37 9.00 117 50.00 6.1 Big Pine
1994 1 17 1230 34 13.00 118 32.00 6.7 Northridge

The best ones?

When you are naked, sound asleep and dreaming of the gal in bed next to you!

blue
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/recent/sum/index.gif

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 12:44 AM
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/index_map.gif

At least I can take the top off o- my milkshake and not get splattered?:eek::o:confused:;)

pomtzu
01-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I got my first scam email today regarding donations to the earthquake fund. :mad:

It was from someone claiming to be Al Gore, and requesting donations to a certain fund - by cash only- and this of course was to protect my personal info and credit card info. Gee - how nice to take that into consideration. :rolleyes:

It's difficult to imagine that anyone could be such a low-life, but on the other hand, I'm surprised that more of these scum scammers haven't surfaced before now. :mad:

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I got my first scam email today regarding donations to the earthquake fund. :mad:

It was from someone claiming to be Al Gore, and requesting donations to a certain fund - by cash only- and this of course was to protect my personal info and credit card info. Gee - how nice to take that into consideration. :rolleyes:

It's difficult to imagine that anyone could be such a low-life, but on the other hand, I'm surprised that more of these scum scammers haven't surfaced before now. :mad:

Send me your in-ormation and I'll make sure that no one scams you, okay?:eek:

I don't trust Al Gore either!:D

Morons.

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I saw a wonder-ul scene from Haiti in some kind of church during the coverage of the earthquke.

The pastor had converted the courtyard to a sa-e haven for the members, the women had set up pots on top of a brick base and were cooking phood and heating water.

The men went out with the money the people had pooled money to buy food and whatever else they needed. It was very upli-ting to see that they had taken the reins into their own hands and were not wanking about worrying about when help would show up.

I began to laugh hysterically and thought about the people who 'do not do camping'.

So, I don't sound sexist? I'll group both the men and women into what I am about to?

Bwahaha?

Learn to camp.

Do not show up at my house because you see light and smell food cooking.

I so own bullets.

I understand the 'eww -actor' for people not wanting to sleep on the -loor in a cold nylon tent. Get over your bad selves. Try it a -ew times and if you don't like it? Wrap yourself up in a plastic bag and wait for the line at the Motel 6 to let up.

LOLOLOL, I- you think that having the lights go out when it snows, inhales? Try living in the dirt -or a week or two. Not because you want to do it!

I do have to say that I have passed up meeting 'people' (read that as women) because one of the first things out o- your mouths is "I don't do camping." Well, it's just one o- the sad -acts of life.

Yeah, yeah, when the house -alls you'll go someone else's house and become the 'three day fish' that everyone knows and loves.

During the next disaster?

I'm hooking up with a Haitian woman, God Bless Them, they seem to be a bit more resilient, aren't opposed to cooking over a -ire on the ground and would not gnaw my ear oph complaining about the conditions.

Now, Time to see how many of you know what "Tongue in Cheek" means.

See, that's how a -ilthy mind works.:):D;)

Grace
01-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Tongue in cheek -

Meaning

In an ironic manner, not meant to be taken seriously.

Origin

This phrase clearly alludes to the facial expression created by putting one's tongue in one's cheek. This induces a wink (go on - try it), which has long been an indication that what is being said is to be taken with a pinch of salt. It may have been used to suppress laughter. 'Tongue in cheek' is the antithesis of the later phrase - 'with a straight face'.

The term first appeared in print in 'The Fair Maid of Perth', by that inveterate coiner of phrases, Sir Walter Scott, 1828:

"The fellow who gave this all-hail thrust his tongue in his cheek to some scapegraces like himself."

It isn't entirely clear that Scott was referring to the ironic use of the expression. A later citation from Richard Barham's The Ingoldsby Legends, 1845 is unambiguous though:

He fell to admiring his friend's English watch.
He examined the face,
And the back of the case,
And the young Lady's portrait there, done on enamel, he
Saw by the likeness was one of the family;
Cried 'Superbe! Magnifique!' (With his tongue in his cheek)
Then he open'd the case, just to take a peep in it, and
Seized the occasion to pop back the minute hand.

RICHARD
01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
O'er the cobblestone came the woman,
Shredded plastic -lapping in her wake.
"I've nae a roo- phor shelter nor cell signal to summon help with-
The Quake hath shaken my house to matchsticks!'

"I hath thirst in my mouth and hunger writhing in my belly!"

"Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares. And get oph my lawn."

boomersooner
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Just wondering what you all thought about this....my son is in the 8th grade, and one of his basketball teammates has gone with his dad to Haiti. I don't know what his dad does or exactly what he is going to help with down there....my question is this....would you take your 14 year old son with you? Although I think it would be an experience he would never ever forget and will probably go far in shaping his life as far as the humanitarian aspect, I would be so worried about the violence and the disease that is running rampant down there right now. I would also worry if he was mature enough to see all he will see, coming from a sheltered life most American boys lead. Just wondering what you guys thought.

RICHARD
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Just wondering what you guys thought.

I say go. Seen some poverty when I was a kid that I never -orgot.

You really never look at things the same or balk about living under the 'line' ever again.

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 05:39 AM
yes, that is definitely the positive about taking him....I guess I'm just such a chicken...:(

pomtzu
01-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I really don't think the boy should be there.

Unless you are a professional and are there to give aid and assistance, then you have no business being there. There are enough people there now adding to the confusion, without sending a 14 year old into the middle of it.

Does he have the maturity to handle what he is going to encounter?

How long is he going to be there? The food, water, shelter, that he will require, could be put to better use by giving it to a victim of the earthquake.

Who is going to guarantee his safety and health? With conditions deteriorating with increased violence, and the disease that can't help but be on the rise with the thousands of bodies still not recovered, I don't see that this is a safe and secure place for an adult, let alone a teenager.

IMO - bad decision. :mad:

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Pomtzu....those were my feelings, too....My son is 14, and I wouldn't want him there. Seeing the way impoverished people live is one thing, and I think it would give a young person a new perspective...but to take them into a situation like this is too much, besides the fact they are just one more person to have to look after. You said it perfectly.

RICHARD
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
The U.S. Army has a little trick they use in time of war called "force multiplication". The sent teams of Green Berets to go into areas where they make contact with the locals and train them to fight along side them.

So, under the right conditions a group of six men can train and equip a group to assist them in a time of war. If we use the same idea, how could that hurt the situation?

Now, i- this kid can get out there and assist these people, he can help and teach the people affected to trust him and help themselves. He's doing a job that many kids would not do. Plus, his participation at a job behind the scenes frees someone to do the 'dirty' work.

Is he being forced to go? I suspect that he may have volunteered for the job.

There is never an age to learn how to help others.

I am sure that the father would never put his kid into any danger, maybe they will put him into a position where he would not have to venture out into the front lines. I am sure he would never send his kid out by himself to hand out supplies or -ood.

There's plenty of work to be done at the aid centers. Unloading boxes, packing supplies? Working in a food kitchen? Packing meals? cooking?

There are TONS OF THINGS that do not demand '-ront' line participation.
Every rescuer, doc, nurse and aid person stands on the shoulders of the little people that are packing supplies here in the states, flies them down, unloads and coordinates the distribution.....

So, I do see your point about a young kid going down to help, but how many people will go and come back with out any problems?

I'd think that -f there was a problem with adults participating, they would be the -irst people pulled out.

------------------------

I hope we get to hear about what this kid thinks about his trip when he comes back. IT would be very interesting.

JTOL.

pomtzu
01-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Good point Richard, but until I hear the complete story regarding why he went and what he did while he was there, then I'll refrain from further judgment.

However, there's still plenty that he could have done right here at home to help the cause, and he'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind, not to see the carnage and chaos that he will most likely see. With all the t.v. coverage, I think that is more than enough to subject a young person to. He has a lifetime ahead to experience or get involved in the "dirty work" that will always be around.

He's a teenager - let him be one now, and don't make him grow up ahead of his time. He has his whole life ahead of him to witness and act upon the misery that man and nature will surely continue to dish out.

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 04:34 PM
All good points...I honestly don't know anything about why he went or what he and his father would be doing.....My son just came home and told me he was going.

pomtzu
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
All good points...I honestly don't know anything about why he went or what he and his father would be doing.....My son just came home and told me he was going.

If you find out - let us know please. I for one would be interested to hear the why and wherefore. It just seems a little odd to me to take a kid into that hell on earth. But....there may be a good reason behind it. :confused:

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, I will.....and they may have decided to keep him home....He wasn't at school on Friday, though....I really hope he didn't go....

RICHARD
01-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I was on the phone with my sis earlier.

She was yelling at my 13 year old niece.

---------------

Imagine spending ANY TIME with a 14 year old, in a place they did not want to be.:rolleyes:;):eek:

After he drove me crazy?

I'd make him to walk home.;)

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Mine doesn't drive me crazy very often, thank the good Lord, but I've threatened the walk home thing!! LOL

RICHARD
01-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Mine doesn't drive me crazy very often, thank the good Lord, but I've threatened the walk home thing!! LOL

From an island?:eek:;):D

boomersooner
01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Not yet...but there's time.....:p

Marigold2
01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
My co-worker's eldest son is collecting medical items for Haiti. One of the students in the class has a dad that is flying out there on Monday morning. So Friday we went and collected itmes from some of the doctors in the building. My own Dr was very generous as was my neighbor who is a physican. We collected 4 huge boxes. It felt really great to help, I am so glad my coworker asked me to do that.

RICHARD
01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14304041

----------------

I am interested in what the 10 people in jail, in Haiti, were doing with the 30 kids.

Really now.....

Catty1
01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
They were suspected of being part of the illegal adoption schemes. I guess they are being overly cautious.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=abWDWCsGSN00

Idaho Church Group Arrested in Haiti With 33 Orphaned Children

By Adriana Brasileiro

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Haitian police yesterday arrested 10 American Baptist Church members as they tried to bus 33 orphaned children across the border into the Dominican Republic allegedly without proper documentation, a spokesman for the Central Valley Baptist Church said.

The church said the group was “falsely arrested” and that steps were being taken to clarify the “misunderstanding” involving their members, according to a statement on its Web site.

“The goal was to rescue orphaned children who needed help,” Drew Ham, a member of the Meridian, Idaho-based church, said in a telephone interview today. A Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti killed more than 150,000 and left an estimated 800,000 homeless.

The group was detained because the children lacked necessary adoption papers from the Haitian government, Laura Silsby, the group’s leader, said in an interview with the Associated Press yesterday. Ham said he has not been able to contact Silsby and is in touch with U.S. State Department officials to obtain information about the legal proceedings in the case. He said he doesn’t know if the group has been charged with any crime.

Haiti’s Social Affairs and Labor Minister Yves Christallin told Agence France Presse the Americans were suspected of being part of an illegal adoption scheme and had “stolen” the children aged 2 months to 12 years-old. Christallin said the Americans did not have a government document authorizing the children to leave Haiti. Calls to the Ministry in Port-au-Prince were not answered today.

Silsby was planning to build an orphanage in the Dominican Republic to save Haitian children from the hands of human trafficking groups, a plan that pre-dated the earthquake, Ham said.

“This has been a dream of hers for quite some time,” Ham said. “Now it looks like her group was arrested for exactly the crime she wants to help combat.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Adriana Brasileiro in Rio de Janeiro at [email protected]
Last Updated: January 31, 2010 14:10 EST

RICHARD
02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35243272/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake

oops!;)

Catty1
02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
BIG oops! FAIL

RICHARD
02-04-2010, 11:58 PM
BIG oops! FAIL

A few kids @ 25K a piece?:o:mad:

I looked at this as a test run for the following group.

RICHARD
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/14/2819083.htm

Double Oops?

Smarties
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM

The first substantial quake will keep you awake for weeks. Every creak of the house and heavy truck theat drives by puts you on edge and you get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Every aftershock is an adventure.

Your butt cheeks clench, you get up on your arms, if you are sitting and start to think about which way to run.-then it's over.

I have been on the pot when an afterschock hit and for a split second thought about being found in the pile of rubble with me pans around me ankles!

That's bad................................... Very. Bad. VERY BAD..........

RICHARD
02-17-2010, 02:48 PM
That's bad................................... Very. Bad. VERY BAD..........

No fun at all......