PDA

View Full Version : Wierd food combo's

sparks19
01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
So what wierd food combo's do you like?

For me....

I LOVE fried eggs (dippy is the best) with toast with strawberry jam on it. Dip the toast and jam into the yolk... mmmmm heavenly. or just make a sandwich out of the egg, toast and jam. I just love the total opposite flavoring paired together.

Brian thinks I'm nuts lol

Lady's Human
01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Funny, we were just chatting about odd food on another forum. :p

sparks19
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
lol maybe I knew that... I could be following you :O

So... what is your wierd food :D

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I like the toast inthe drippy egg yolk. Not sure I could add the jam...

I like grilled cheese with peanut butter. Sounds weird at first, but do you eat cheese crackers with peanut butter?

sparks19
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Hmm grilled cheese with PB and you are right I DO eat crackers with PB on it :D that maybe one I need to try lol

Pinot's Mom
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
One of the ultimate weird food combos - and it IS really good!

Barbecued Fritos dipped in soft serve vanilla ice cream. I haven't had it since I was MUCH younger, but can remember that hot/cold taste like it was yesterday. Really good!:)

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
One of the ultimate weird food combos - and it IS really good!

Barbecued Fritos dipped in soft serve vanilla ice cream. I haven't had it since I was MUCH younger, but can remember that hot/cold taste like it was yesterday. Really good!:)

Not too far off from Frech fries dipped in Wendy's Frosty. That is pretty common around here. I just don't know about the BBQ part.

Chocolate covered potato chips is another good one.

sparks19
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
oooh along the lines of the frosty and french fries. you HAVE to try this one

McDonald's French Fries dipped in their honey sauce :) DELICIOUS

DJFyrewolf36
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Chocolate and bacon!! :D

Pinot's Mom
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
...and that brings up an all time classic in my book...

PEANUT BUTTER AND BACON SANDWICHES!! :)

pomtzu
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I love bananas with peanut butter.
Also cream cheese with olives chopped up in it - on crackers.

My niece puts mayo on french fries. YUK!

RICHARD
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Stop.

You all want to admit that BBQ potato chips, catsup, mustard on white bread is what you all want.

Go gourmet, toast the bread and add a piece of that fake cheese that comes individually wrapped, inside.

Just admit it.

-------------

Doritos dipped into cottage cheese with slices of sharp yellow cheese and pickles on the side..

sparks19
01-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh french fries with mayo is SOOOOO good :D

anyone ever heard of french fries with mustard? there is a country song out right now that mentions that and I just can't wrap my head around that one lol

Grace
01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I love bananas with peanut butter.
Also cream cheese with olives chopped up in it - on crackers.

Bring back the memories! My mother made us cream cheese and olive sandwiches for our school lunch - many years ago :D

RICHARD
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Bring back the memories! My mother made us cream cheese and olive sandwiches for our school lunch - many years ago :D

Oh, cream cheese, olive loaf with spicy mustard....

And BBQ potato ships on white bread.;)

Lady's Human
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
A food some find weird is pickled herring, love it.

Bananas and peanut butter sandwiches.

Apple slices with PB

Salmon, peas, and mashed potatoes.

pomtzu
01-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Same here!!! Cream cheese and pineapple sandwiches too.

Ok - just thought of another - fried green bell pepper sandwiches. Boy - could my Dad devour them! :p

Grace
01-12-2010, 04:54 PM

So do I!! Always have a jar in the frig :)

caseysmom
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh french fries with mayo is SOOOOO good :D

anyone ever heard of french fries with mustard? there is a country song out right now that mentions that and I just can't wrap my head around that one lol

I second that, I learned that from Paua Dean.

Medusa
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Dill pickles dipped in ketchup.

Medusa
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
anyone ever heard of french fries with mustard?

Sling Blade liked that snack. :p

Cinder & Smoke
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I like grilled cheese with peanut butter.

Sounds weird at first, but do you eat cheese crackers with peanut butter?

OK ... so how do you cook one without the P-Butter flowing out
into a frightful mess??

:confused:

Pinot's Mom
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
into a frightful mess??

That's a REALLY good question!!

By the way, Ellie..really crispy french fries with mayo is very good - and VERY British!!:)

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
into a frightful mess??

Practice? Ralph doesn't like cheese, but sometimes I will make him a grilled peantu butter sandwhich. If you get too much PB it does get messy, but usually it isn't too bad.

For the grilled cheese, I actually prefer to make the cheese sandwhich, grill it, then smear PB on top and eat with a fork.

cassiesmom
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Holy Swiss cheese, I guess I do have some weird food combos!

Pickled herring is a New Year's Day tradition on my dad's side (Ukrainian/Russian Orthodox). I don't like it; though I wanted to purchase some for my dad, and this year I could only find large jars of it. Vita used to make about a 3-4 ounce jar which was just enough. Maybe I waited too long to get it, though.

And I love French fries with mayonnaise. Also half mayo/half catsup, which I learned from a co-worker who grew up in Wyoming.

I like toasted cheese sandwiches with a slice of tomato, too. I put it on when I flip the sandwich over, so it's not too mushy.

On the Food Network I saw an example of a grilled PB-nanner sandwich (Unwrapped had a show about different sandwiches). Butter on the outsides of the bread, PB on the insides, slices of banana on just one slice; then cook it like a toasted cheese sandwich.

Karen
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I sooooo miss peanut butter and banana sandwiches. And Dad regrets not getting his dad's pickled herring recipe, but I am allergic to fish now, so couldn't have it anyway.

I don't think anything I eat now is a weird combination, but because of my admittedly odd food allergies, simple is safer for me. Sigh.

My sister's friend used to like peanut putter and potato chip sandwiches, or peanut butter and pickle - neither which ever appealed to me!

caseysmom
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Not a wierd combo but just have to say the new nestle hot chocolate in the brownish container is so freaken good I have to drink it every night.

AdoreMyDogs
01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Bologna and ketchup sandwiches.

Oh, and I love fries dipped in mayo, especially the thick steak fries. Yummy!

krazyaboutkatz
01-13-2010, 01:11 AM
I don't think that this is weird but some may. My mom used to always make us grilled cheese sandwiches made out of velveeta cheese and then she'd also add sweet pickles to them. Yummy!:)

I also grew up with fluffanutter sandwiches. It's peanut butter with the marshmallow cream called fluff. Very good but sweet. One of my friends thought I was eating peanut butter with mayo. Yuck!

My roommate used to eat spaghetti with ranch dressing on it instead of spaghetti sauce. Yuck!

Has anyone ever had vinegar pie? It's made from left over pie crust and then you put cinnamon and sugar on it with some vinegar. Then you bake it. It tastes great and is nice and chewy. My mom used to make it and so did her mom.

I also like white rice with cinnamon mixed in it. It then tastes like a dessert.

Blueberry pancakes with vanilla icecream instead of syrup. Two small waffles with vanilla icecream in the middle. It's like an icecream sandwich.

I'm sure I have others but I can't think of any more at the moment.

DJFyrewolf36
01-13-2010, 02:57 AM
I just had bacon and applesauce for dinner...(bad for my diet I know but applesauce is a fruit...right? :D )

Which got me to thinking somehow of peaches and cottege cheese. When I was in military college it was the best thing the dining hall ever had for breakfast lol. Way better than powdered eggs...

anna_66
01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I also grew up with fluffanutter sandwiches. It's peanut butter with the marshmallow cream called fluff. Very good but sweet.

My mom made something similar only it was peanut butter mixed with syrup them marshmallow cream and banana. Super sweet!

I don't think this is weird but many do, I put peanut butter on my waffles and pancakes. Soooo much better than butter:D

Trinityagain
01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Before my lactose intolerance got so bad I was fond of PB and swiss cheese sandwiches...not even sure why I tried it one day but it was really yummy....

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Before my lactose intolerance got so bad I was fond of PB and swiss cheese sandwiches...not even sure why I tried it one day but it was really yummy....

LOL, late night snack-no cooking involved?:)

Lilith Cherry
01-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Sparks, my middle son just loves runny egg yolks dipped in toast and strawberry jam! And we thought he was the only one LOL! Must be a Canuck thing!

Having lived in China no food or combination of foods seem strange any longer - I will try just about anything from water beetles with sugar cane juice to 5 snake wine!:rolleyes:

One guy at a party I held years ago ate cold salmon with sherry trifle bite for bite and said it was wonderful:eek:

jennielynn1970
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm... let me think.

French fries dipped in strawberry shakes

Peanutbutter, banana and fluff sandwiches

Toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches

Pierogies and sour cream (is that weird?? or just a PA thing?)

Shrimp and tuna on pizza, lol.

Pinot's Mom
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Toasted cheese and tomatoe sandwiches

Pierogies and sour cream (is that weird?? or just a PA thing?)

One of my favorite sandwiches is grilled provolone on rye with fresh summer tomato - it's not weird! How can cheese and tomato be weird??

Oh - Pierogies and sour cream I don't think is weird, either, it's good!:)

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Dill pickles dipped in ketchup.

For real????? Blah!!!!

OK - I love pickled herring too. Haven't had it in ages - guess I'll pick some up next shopping trip.
Also like sardines in mustard sauce.
And anchovies on my pizza.

smokey the elder
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Sparks, my middle son just loves runny egg yolks dipped in toast and strawberry jam! And we thought he was the only one LOL! Must be a Canuck thing!

Having lived in China no food or combination of foods seem strange any longer - I will try just about anything from water beetles with sugar cane juice to 5 snake wine!:rolleyes:

One guy at a party I held years ago ate cold salmon with sherry trifle bite for bite and said it was wonderful:eek:

OK, I'll bite. What's "5 snake wine"?

My dad (RIP) ate peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches...yuk! I did like Fluffernutters on toast, though.

krazyaboutkatz
01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
So what are Pierogies? I've never heard of them.:confused:

I also forgot to mention that when I put cinnamon on white rice I also put some milk in it and then heat it up in the microwave. Nice dessert.:)

jennielynn1970
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
So what are Pierogies? I've never heard of them.:confused:

I also forgot to mention that when I put cinnamon on white rice I also put some milk in it and then heat it up in the microwave. Nice dessert.:)

OMG... you poor thing!! You've never had a pierogie?? The outside is a thick, bland dough, circle shaped, then you put a spoonful of filling on one side and fold it in half, crescent like. Fillings vary from mashed potato and cheese to sauerkraut, to potato with jalepeno peppers in them. You can deep fry them or serve them fried in butter with onions. YUMMMMMM.... Look for Mrs. T's pierogies in the frozen food section of your grocery, or any POLISH/SLAVIC DELI!!!

Pierogi Recipe (http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm)

Your rice sounds a lot like rice pudding to me!

sparks19
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I used to LOVE balogona and ketchup sandwiches when I was a kid but if I ate one now I'd probably throw up LOL.

One that people often find wierd is celery and cheez whiz. Celery and peanut butter is supossedly normal but not cheez whiz. When I was pregnant this was my staple food. I'd alternate between dipping in cheez whiz and PB. mmmmm

I like ketchup with my mashed potatoes :D

LOL Lilith maybe it is a canuck thing. I know my hubby thinks I'm crazy.

jennielynn1970
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I love ketchup on my home made mac and cheese!

Karen
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
My bother-in-law used to put catsup on scrambled eggs - I couldn't even stand to look at it! Yuck!

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
One that people often find wierd is celery and cheez whiz. Celery and peanut butter is supossedly normal but not cheez whiz. When I was pregnant this was my staple food. I'd alternate between dipping in cheez whiz and PB. mmmmm

Nothing strange about Cheez Whiz - that's yummy. If you like cream cheese - try it that way too. That's my favorite - even over CW and PB. :) Of course a sour cream based dip is still the very best.

sparks19
01-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Of course... it's just NOT mac and cheese without ketchup :D

I will have to try that with cream cheese pom :D

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
My bother-in-law used to put catsup on scrambled eggs - I couldn't even stand to look at it! Yuck!

That's yummy!!!!! :D

Trinityagain
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I've started putting mild taco sauce on my scrambled eggs...give them just a little kick, very yummy...and the cream cheese celery thing is a completely normal thing in my family. For holidays and stuff we would put out a platter of that along with the pickles and stuff....sigh...another thing I haven't had in forever because of the flippin' lactose issue.....grumble, grumble...

and nobody has mentioned SPAM! SPAM and mayo sandwich...YUUMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
and nobody has mentioned SPAM! SPAM and mayo sandwich...YUUMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!

People think I'm nuts, but I like Spam too, but only at room temp when the can has first been opened. It just doesn't taste the same after it's been refrigerated - altho the pups like it any way they can get it.

Spam, swiss or provolone cheese, spicy brown mustard and pickle sandwich. Very tasty!

Something disgusting that my ex used to cook - tuna omelet. I like tuna, but the smell of that cooking was enough to turn anyone's stomach.

Lilith Cherry
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Smokey, Snake wine is an alcoholic beverage produced by infusing whole snakes in rice wine or grain alcohol. The drink used in China during the Western Zhou dynasty and considered an important curative and believed to reinvigorate a person according to Traditional Chinese medicine:eek::p. It can be found in China, Vietnam and throughout Southeast Asia.

The snakes, preferably venomous ones, are not usually preserved for their meat but to have their "essence" and snake poison dissolved in the liquor. However, the snake venom is denatured by the ethanol; its proteins are unfolded and therefore inactivated.
The more snakes the better so I am told!

Alysser
01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
My parents think it's nasty when I have ketchup with Chicken Cordon Bleu, it's sooo good. I love ketchup on almost anything, even alone.

Asiel
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Peanut butter and pickle sandwich.

Peanut butter and jam sandwich with sliced bananas in it.

krazyaboutkatz
01-14-2010, 12:24 AM
OMG... you poor thing!! You've never had a pierogie?? The outside is a thick, bland dough, circle shaped, then you put a spoonful of filling on one side and fold it in half, crescent like. Fillings vary from mashed potato and cheese to sauerkraut, to potato with jalepeno peppers in them. You can deep fry them or serve them fried in butter with onions. YUMMMMMM.... Look for Mrs. T's pierogies in the frozen food section of your grocery, or any POLISH/SLAVIC DELI!!!

Pierogi Recipe (http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm)

Your rice sounds a lot like rice pudding to me!

No, I've never had one and I was even born in PA but we moved to S.C. when I was 8 years old. I do like sauerkraut and mashed potatos and cheese so I'd probably like that kind. Yes, the rice does sound like a quick version of rice pudding.

I thought of another one that I do which also involves cinnamon. I like to put cinnamon on top of acorn squash instead of butter.

I also love cream cheese on celery.

I knew this guy in college and he'd put pepper on his cottage cheese. He put so much pepper on it that he turned it black. Yuck!

Cinder & Smoke
01-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Practice?

If you get too much PB it does get messy, but usually it isn't too bad.

For the grilled cheese, I actually prefer to make the cheese sandwhich, grill it,
then smear PB on top and eat with a fork.

NOW she tells me! :rolleyes:

Yup - too much PB sure does make a MESS! :eek:
Ya need a SPOON to eat it!

OK ... second attempt ...

* Do it Open-Faced - half at a time

1) Cheese half: Butter down, cheese side up - WATCH the cooked side!

2) Remove cheese half; "Toast* the other half - Butter down, PLAIN side up

3) REALLY watch this one - fine line between "toasted" and BURNT to a CRISP!

4) Remove second half and apply P-Butter to uncoated side.

5) Assemble sammich halves - P-Butter side to Cheese side.

6) BRIEFLY re-heat assembly - B-Butter side down - WATCH for SMOKE!
(SMOKE indicates sammich was done 30 seconds before SMOKE was seen.)

What this needs is BACON!!
Gotta get me sum PRE-Cooked Bacon!

:D

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 03:13 AM
The more snakes the better so I am told!

LOL...

Three snakes to the wind?

"Officer, I shouldn't have had that last snake....":eek::rolleyes::D

"No, IT'S A BOTTLE of snakes in my pants."

Lilith Cherry
01-14-2010, 06:23 AM
You would love it here Richard, there is so much to giggle at!:D

smokey the elder
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I had to ask...:p I shouldn't be surprised, though, that it is exactly what I thought it was! Snake extract!:D

RICHARD
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
You would love it here Richard, there is so much to giggle at!:D

Oh sure,

American arrested for violating China's anti-fun laws.

:D

What is it with the powdered privates from animals that are supposed to give you "vigor"?

"Don't throw that away, that's the best part!":eek:

------------------

I am keeping my eye out for anyone posting on the 2010 Get Fit thread and submitting sinful food combinations...

Momto4FemaleFelines
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Miracle Whip (or store brand salad dressing that is equal to Miracle Whip) on lima beans.

I've always put ketchup on scrambled eggs.

I'm one of those ones that says "I like a little red meat with my ketchup"...I put ketchup on burgers, meatloaf, all steaks, even good filet mignon in restaurants!

sparks19
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm one of those ones that says "I like a little red meat with my ketchup"...I put ketchup on burgers, meatloaf, all steaks, even good filet mignon in restaurants!

OMG me too.... all meat actually LOL. well other than lunch meat stuff. but I need ketchup with my meat :D

Asiel
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Mashed potatoes with Mushroom soup instead of milk.

Fried green tomatoes with onions and mushrooms.

K9karen
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey! I'm willing to try anything. Nothing seems odd to me since I met John, who, as an Aquarius, is not from any known planet and had turned me on to things I never imagined.

OK, peanut butter on celery seems yukky to me, but I tried it and it was awesome. I usually dipped my stalks in mayo. Luckily, we both LOVE mayo on amything and buy Sam's Club's hugest jar.

Jam on scambled eggs made me laugh. My 96 y.o uncle, who I care for, told me that , while in the service, the only way to tolerate powdered scrambled eggs, was to add jam. He does that to this day. The other day he added peanut butter to the toast of his poached egg.

Although my "background-or whatever" prob. calls for it, herring in sour cream was something I said "CUT" to. But, I had it on homemade pumpernickle bread at a party and it was great. Who wooda thought?

My mom's dad used to eat "fat" (the stuff that accumilated in a pan if it's been in the fridge) sandwiches. Yeah, well, no wonder he died of heart problems. He also used to suck raw eggs. My Polish side adores pierogies. I can live on them.

To me, anything with mayo, salsa, or ketchup on it is eatable.

I'll try anything once. My mom used to roll her eyes and claim I was adopted! :p:D

Oggyflute
01-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Wow! pierogies! Haven't had those for a good 20 years. Had a Polish friend who was sharing a house with myself & a few others. (things you do in your youth) His mother use to load him up with bags of them, which made a pleasant change from ordering a pizza after a nights activities. :D

Karen
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
As a kid growing up in a town with a sizeable Polish population, most big "events," like weddings or potlucks had pierogies and galumpkis by the panful! It just doesn't - in my mind - seem like something one could buy in a small quantity and still be good! Of course, now I'll allergies to cabbage and some meats, and other veggies, so I couldn't eat them anyway, but ... I see the sad little frozen packages with two or four pierogies in the supermarket, and just think it's pathetic!

smokey the elder
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
You could make "a few" galumpkis, but why would you want to?;):p

RICHARD
01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Why does 'galumpkis' sound like something out of the Grapes of Wrath?

The Mexicans were weak and fled, they had the Galumpkis. They could not resist, because they wanted nothing in the world as frantically as the Americans, who wanted to be rid of the malady.

Then, with time, the squatters were no longer squatters, but owners; and their children grew up and had children on the land got the galumpkis as it spread. And the hunger was gone from them, the feral hunger, the gnawing, tearing hunger for land, for water and earth and the good sky over it, but the Galumpkis also afffected the swelling roots.

:rolleyes:;)

Originally Chapter 19 from the GOW.....

The Mexicans were weak and fled. They could not resist, because they wanted nothing in the world as frantically as the Americans wanted land.

Then, with time, the squatters were no longer squatters, but owners; and their children grew up and had children on the land. And the hunger was gone from them, the feral hunger, the gnawing, tearing hunger for land, for water and earth and the good sky over it, for the green thrusting grass, for the swelling roots.

sirrahbed
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Pizza and ranch dressing:D I had this years ago while visiting my best friend and laughed but tried it - now I always want a little puddle of ranch dressing to dip my pizza in - especially the crust!!

My mom, aunt and grandmom made the best golumpki - now I am wanting some - need to get some cabbage from the store - but is that a weird food combination :D ?

sparks19
01-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Pizza and ranch dressing:D I had this years ago while visiting my best friend and laughed but tried it - now I always want a little puddle of ranch dressing to dip my pizza in - especially the crust!!

?

OMG yes pizza dipped in ranch is AWESOME

orangemm
01-18-2010, 07:13 AM
I am addicted to Frank's Hot Sauce, put it on everything!

My one strange combo is mustard on my green beans. :confused::D Have done it since I was a kid.

Jeff had a friend who put french dressing (the Kraft orange kind) on potato salad. Whatever.