PDA

View Full Version : I might get a job at GoodYear, but I'm not sure.

Genny
01-11-2010, 10:53 PM
So...yea..I don't really know for sure...but it's possible... My dad has worked there for about 30 years now. He brought home an application for me the other day (they're hiring) and I filled it out and he carried it back Sunday night. I mean I really highly doubt they'll even consider hiring me...cause I've never had any kind of experience doing any kind of work like that, but the lady who does the hiring talked to my dad and asked him some things about me..so maybe she's thinking about it? Who knows... I kinda think it would be cool if I worked there, but I dunno..it's pretty hard work involved. I've been trying to find something though...I work at Chickfila right now and my boss doesn't give me enough hours! I have a car that needs worked on right now and I don't have the money to get it done. If I had more $$$ (more hours) then I could... I'm really comfortable w/ Chickfila. It doesn't feel so so much like work-it feels more like school...I go and hang out w/ my friends till time to leave. I mean ofcourse it's work but still...I enjoy it (sometimes) and I'm not so sure I want to quit working there...but I guess I'd be pretty crazy if I were to maybe get a job at Goodyear and didn't take it, huh???? Plus I do need more money which I am not getting where I'm at now... Well I don't know ;/ I just wanted to share this w/ ya'll... Who knows...they might now even call me from Goodyear. If they don't then I guess I'll still be searching for a better paying job if things stay the same at Chickfila ;/

Laura's Babies
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I had a job just fall in my lap one time, not sure I wanted it or could do the job but I ended up keeping that job for 21 years. Sometime, life surprises you and how things work out....

Who knows, the Goodyear job might not be the one so you hang in there at Chickfila and end up the manager there one day... You just never know.

kokopup
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't know if you live near the Decatur or the Gadsden plant , but I see where they are investing, in plant upgrades, at the Gadsden plant for producing some of their high profit tires. Because of lawsuits at Goodyear concerning pay, for female employees, it looks like you can get a good paying job, if you get an offer. If you do get an offer you need to go for it. You are very limited at chickfila for future advancement.

pomtzu
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
My 2 cents worth for what it's worth - after many years in the work force.

No offense intended, but your job with Chick sounds like a typical job for school kids looking for a little money, or even for retirees looking to supplement their retirement pay. Of course there are some possibilities for advancement, but they are usually few and far between.

It sounds like a job with Goodyear would be with good pay, and the way the economy is right now, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at the potential that would be available there. The work will definitely be something that you are not used to, but remember, that the good jobs aren't ones that make you feel like you're still in school and hanging out with your friends.

Best of luck to you, regardless if the Goodyear job pans out or not. If not, then just keep looking. You'll find a good job, or it will find you, when you least expect it.

Cataholic
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Go to school. Go to school. Go to school. These jobs you are looking at are probably not life time careers.

Lady's Human
01-13-2010, 05:28 PM
School, especially college, isn't for everyone. Trust me. And it has nothing to do with intelligence.

A career job at Goodyear could open up a lot of doors, go for it!

Cataholic
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Statistically speaking, education wins out over a career at a fast food restaurant or in a position that she is speaking of.

I would much rather a young lady prepare for the future with an education than hope that doors are opened for her some how at goodyear.

Lady's Human
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
It all depends on how you define education, and I'll let it be with that comment.

BTW, young lady? So education isn't for males, just women?

lizbud
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
It all depends on how you define education, and I'll let it be with that comment.

Aren't you overlooking business schools, or schools that offer tech
training for a 2yr degree in many trades?.You are right that everyone
should not go for a 4yr college degree, but there are other options available.

Cataholic
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Isn't genny a girl? My apologies if she is not. I presumed that based on her name and some other things she said about some boys in her life!
She was the OP, and my comments were directed to her. Like I mentioned fast food and good year...kind of making it specific?

Trust me. Plenty of men need an education. Plenty.

Genny
01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey ya'll, thanks for your input on everything! They haven't called (Goodyear) and I've been talking w/ my dad about it and even though it's a very well paying job I'm not 100% sure I wanna do it (even if they do call) which I doubt they will ;/ I just don't know if I could do the work unless they gave me an easy job that doesn't require lifting heavy HEAVY things, cause *yea, I am a girl* ;] lol and I'm only 105 pounds!!!

I really have thought about going to school....and I want to....but I don't know...it just seems and sounds hard. My mom tells me that I can do it and that I'd be glad I did it once I'm done and have a good job. She really wants me to go to college. I just don't know if I want to. I need to figure something out though. I've gotta either go to school or get a beter job for now. I can't keep working and not make anymore than I do. I'm glad I still live at home, cause if I was living on my own there's no way I'd be able to make it. I just need $$ to be able to put back and safe for the future incase I need anything or ever decide to move out (which I don't plan to until I get married) but still...it's nice to know you've got it, you know?

Oh well, we'll see :p

Medusa
01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Is it possible to go to school and work a job even if part time? That's what my son did.

A friend of mine was hired here at Goodyear a couple of years ago but she's being laid off permanently on Feb. 1. She's in management, though.

Genny
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Is it possible to go to school and work a job even if part time? That's what my son did.

A friend of mine was hired here at Goodyear a couple of years ago but she's being laid off permanently on Feb. 1. She's in management, though.

I'm sorry about your friend. That's tough. my dad has been laid off several times. It's never any fun ;/

I'm sure I could probably do that. I could probably even stay at Chickfila and do that. They are pretty good at working around your schedule (sometimes)

pomtzu
01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
You sound like you have talked yourself out of working for Goodyear even if they do want to hire you.

Do you know what kind of job it is, or are you just assuming it would involve heavy lifting? At least if they call you, you should go for the interview to get more info.

And there are many schooling options other than a 2 or 4 year school. I see tech schools advertising all the time on t.v. There's a lot - especially in the medical field: medical office, massage therapy, pharmacy technician, etc.

Sure - college or advanced schooling is "hard", but you have to want to better yourself. If you want an "easy" job, then you should probably stay where you are now, and the longer you wait to go to school or get a better job, the harder it will be.

Genny
01-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Well..ok..guess what? My mom's friend is a Pharnacist and he needs more help. He told my mom he'd hire me to work for him full-time 9-5 Mon-Fri and 9-5 every other Saturday and I'd be off every Sunday. He would pay me $8 an hour. but...he needs me to know by the end of this week. He said if I don't take it he's got to hire someone else. Would I be crazy not to take it? Would you do that? Or do you think I'd be better off to stay at Chickfila and go to school for 2 years to be an X-ray tech?

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
To me, that seems like a ton of hours. You would have no opportunity to persue any schooling with that sort of schedule. Even if you found a program that fit in with that sort of work schedule, you would be burned out.

I would stick with where you are- for the time being- and get into school. Focus on that aspect full time, and let work be your part time job.

Oh, yeah....this applies to men, too. :rolleyes:

Genny
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
That's kinda what I want to do. But some of my family tell me that I'm crazy if I don't take this job at the pharmacy...I don't know what to think...

A different manager started making the schedule out last week and so I got 20 hours this coming week. I don't know...maybe I'll start getting more if I stayed here.

I know right now the pharmacy job would be best, but yea like you said lots of hours and there wouldn't be any way for me to go to school if I wanted to. In the long run-years from now if I go to school now then that would be the best thing, huh? Decisions Decisions....it's hard!!!

pomtzu
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
You keep saying things are "hard". Yup - life is hard unless you were born into a wealthy family and have everything handed to you. :(

As I said before - if you want easy - then stay at Chick. If you want better than that, then you need to seek it out, because it won't come looking for you.

Somehow I have the feeling that if you stay at Chick and don't take the pharmacy job, that you still won't go to school - simply because you view it as "hard". :(

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 04:30 PM
There are many things I am thankful for when it comes to being parented. One of them was the fact that college was never an option for any of us 8 kids. It was never, "if you go...", it was always, "when you go...", or "where will you go..".

I really don't get the "college isn't for everyone..." type of reasoning. What is the disadvantage of obtaining more education past high school? It buys you 4 [I]constructive[I] years of maturity, has the potential of opening up ones eyes to things beyond what the local high school might have taught, and still, from a statistical perspective, offers you much more in career options (including, but, not limited to, income potential).

Sure, there ARE jobs out there for the high school educated individual. And, there are people that luck out, or through ones connections, land the J.O.B. But, it just doesn't seem that secure, IMO, to rely on those things.

Having an education does not grant you anything other than a college diploma, there still must be work on your end to make things happen. In my experience, having that degree makes it easier to make things happen. I look at my friends, their education, and their career options. I prefer my degree.

Genny, how old are you? When did you graduate? Are there local community colleges in your area? Did you take the SAT/ACT? Do you even have to take those anymore? LOL. And, can you get into a community college without either test? Will your parents pay for your education (a huge bonus, IMO, LOL).

Which member of your family actually disuades you from persuing an education? It sounds a bit like you are flip-flopping, which is so normal, presuming you are as young as I think you are. You can still flip-flop, just do it while taking classes. :)

Karen
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Not everyone will benefit from a standard 4-year degree. There are people who incur debt without getting any skills that relate to what they want to pursue. Sometimes military service is an alternative - and can involve training for skills that will lead to good jobs once you leave, sometimes an apprenticeship or internship in the field of your choice is a better option ... It all depends on what direction you want to go!

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Not everyone benefits from anything at all. A military service can leave you dead, wounded (physically or mentally disabled), and unemployed when you leave.

There can be an argument presented for and against most things in life. I am talking about the more sure 'bet', if you will.

pomtzu
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm one of those that believes that college isn't for everybody.

I never went to college - never regretted it - and always had a good paying job and making more than some of my college educated friends were. In the customer service department of the company I worked for, there were several college graduates working there. Some decided that what they went to college for, they didn't want to do after graduation. Others couldn't find a decent paying job in their field, and others couldn't even find a lousy paying job in their field.

Neither of my brothers ever went to college, and both ended up as engineers, making more money than I would ever have imagined.

There's plenty out there for those who choose not to further their education with 4 more years. To me, it just sounds like Genny doesn't want to go to school and is content with her present job if she gets more hours, and there's no motivation to move ahead since she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.

ETA: There are also many companies that offer a college reimbursement program. You can work and be taking a couple of courses at a time. Sure - it's going to take longer to get a degree, but in a program like that, you can have the best of both worlds.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Genny - what I find troubling is the age you are, and the indecisiveness you display. I honestly thought you were about 14 years old!

My suggestion is to stay at home and take 1 year of college, community or otherwise. Stretch yourself for a year. Then look at a bigger decision...it will likely come to you during that year.

hugs!

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Pomtzu-I would never ask you your age, but, I got the idea that you were a little bit older than Genny. In today's world, things are much different than they were 30 years ago. Again, I don't know your age, and if I have presumed you were older than you are, please forgive me.

I think I saw elsewhere your post about your two brothers being engineers. I don't know what kind of engineers they are/were. I can't think of any engineers today that are not college trained (civil, electrical, mechanical, chemical(in fact, my dad is a chem e, with a phd in it...and he is O.L.D. :)). A good friend of my mother's earned his engineering degree (civil), and this was prolly 20 years ago! It was, simply put, a requirement for any sort of advancment. My friend at work, her husband is STILL struggling through a 4 year program to earn his degree for surveying. I say struggling as he has a wife, and 2 beautiful girls, as well as a full time job. No way will he advance without it. See, someone encouraged him to just get a 2 year degree. And, he did 12 years ago. The market changed. I can't imagine that we will go backwards from here in terms of technology. With CSR jobs being shipped off to who knows where, it is a scary time for many.

Today, entering the job market, your chances of a good career path are limited without a 4 year degree. To encourage a young person like Genny of any other notion seems short-sighted. If she were MY daughter, I couldn't do it in good faith. I know with my son, it won't be an option.

Karen
01-17-2010, 07:33 PM
My Dad is a retires stationary engineer, and didn't go to college. My nephew is a nuclear engineer, and attended one year of college, but then entered the Navy, where he is getting all his training and engineering certifications.

The military isn't all infantry, guns and getting shot. In fact, if Genny is really interested in being an Xray tech, and would consider military service, they might train her, and she'd be getting paid while she learned. Something to speak to a recruiter about, if that's something that might interest you.

Cataholic
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
My Dad is a retires stationary engineer, and didn't go to college.

Well, since I know how old- near abouts YOU :D are, I know your father is near my dad's age...and, again, things were much different back then. Much.

Genny
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey, you've all given me stuff to think about... I'm actually 21 for those of you wondering :rolleyes:

Alright, my mom talked to her friend today and he's gonna hire me part time (Mon-Fri) 9am-2pm. I'm gonna talk w/ Chickfila and see if they can let me work nights there till I can figure out what I wanna do for sure. ;/

Pembroke_Corgi
01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Today, entering the job market, your chances of a good career path are limited without a 4 year degree. To encourage a young person like Genny of any other notion seems short-sighted. If she were MY daughter, I couldn't do it in good faith. I know with my son, it won't be an option.

I agree, it seems like anymore, having a degree is a necessity. I would also encourage you to go to school- you may even like it! There are lots of opportunities for students. You could take interesting classes to figure out what you want to major in, or study abroad. Starting at a community college would probably be a good idea, or a smaller private school, because in my experience you get better student services there.

My parents couldn't afford to pay for my schooling, so I took out financial aid, but I've never regretted my education. It's not just having the degree that I think is really important, but also what you learn and the experiences you gain.

Good luck with your decision! :) If you do decide to go school in the near future, you should fill out an application for federal aid, which will give you opportunities for grants and loans. Their website is here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and the application is free.

Catty1
01-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey, Genny - how about just looking into the military thing? Talk to someone at the recruiting office - it might be just the ticket for you! :D

Genny
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey, Genny - how about just looking into the military thing? Talk to someone at the recruiting office - it might be just the ticket for you! :D

No offense to anybody in the military, but I just don't think I could do it.

kokopup
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
While I agree that the military is a viable choice for getting an education it is not the only choice. I spent 6 years in the Navy and got some terrific training while in there that carried me over until i completed my education with the aid of tuition assistance (GI BILL) after discharge. There was a time that I was working full time going to school full time and managed to be a Scout leader on the side. My company was giving me tuition assistance in addition to what I was getting from the Navy. There are many large companies and I'm sure Good Year is one of them that gives tuition assistance to employees.

I believe some of you are putting undue pressure insisting that Genny must be in College or she will not get ahead. There are many many paths to a good education and it doesn't have to happen right now. There are also some very good paying careers that DO NOT require a College education. You need to check out the top paying jobs for the future and none of them require a degree. My son has a degree but is doing a job that he trained himself to do and it pays more than he can make with his degree. The medical field or computers/internet will be the best fields to consider in our new world.

pomtzu
01-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Yes Cataholic - I'm a lot older than Genny. My oldest granddaughter is 21! :eek:

Of course I realize that things are different now than when my brothers and I were growing up, and it was a lot easier to get a good job way back when. My oldest brother worked in aerospace design for many years, and then in some other fields too, but I'm not certain which. He also holds a few patents for mechanical items he designed. Granted - neither of them would get a foot in the door today without a degree.

It just seems that Genny doesn't know what she wants to do in life, and that's what's holding her back from making a move. And maybe she just never liked school and doesn't want to continue on. I don't know - only she knows that. But I can't see her going to college when she keeps saying everything is "hard", and wants the easy way out. Those two things just aren't compatible.

I think a company that offers a college reimbursement program would be great for her, but unfortunately that's not offered by all companies. The company I retired from had it, and it was not even considered a big business since it only employed around 400 people. You paid for your courses upfront with the school of choice, and the company reimbursed that money upon completion with a passing grade. A lot of people took advantage of that program.

I just hope that Genny will make a move in the right direction. As I said before - the longer you wait, the more difficult it gets.

Genny
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I talked to one of my managers today (he's my favorite manager and we're pretty good friends) and I told him everything... I told him about me going to be working 9-2 mon-fri and he was really happy for me and was really cool about it and said that I should def. take this job at the pharmacy. I'm gonna go ahead and work the rest of this week at Chickfila since I'm already down on schedule, but I'll start my new job monday! My manager said for me not to say anything about this to anyone and he'd talk to our boss and then after he talks to her he said we both can talk with her and he said he'll try to smooth things out w/ her and get me where I can still work 2-3 nights at Chickfila... That's what I'd really like so I hope everything works out ;]