PDA

View Full Version : Leather couches

bobsmom
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
OK... so our kids are pretty much grown and our dogs are fairly well trained and also older now, so it seems time to replace some of tattered furniture. We are thinking of going LEATHER. A new Sofa, Loveseat and Recliner - all leather. We have NEVER had leather before and although the dogs are pretty good at staying down, Ginger will sometimes take the opportunity to jump of and snuggle on Daddy's chair when we are out and about. And my son sometimes invites her up (which makes me really mad, because it sends such mixed messages) - as I am always correcting her to get down and in her own bed. OK... rambling... HERE IS MY QUESTION. DOES ANYONE HAVE LEATHER FURNITURE and do the dogs damage it by scratching it by either jumping up or putting their paws on it. Will it eventually look like a scratch board (even if it is not physically torn)?

prechrswife
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
We have cats, not dogs, but they have damaged our leather furniture by jumping on and off of it. The damage is from back claws--they aren't scratching it intentionally.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I've went PLEATHER lol. I have no problems with it, and I even wipe them down with some Orange Glow to keep the doggy furs from sticking to it. I know it's different than leather, but it's similar! My mom has had a leather couch for years without any problems with the bullmastiff, but she isn't roudy anymore lol. I do have a friend who went leather and did have some scratches in it, but she doesn't give the dogs A) enough concrete action and B) clip their nails because she's scared.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
We have a leather sectional we got from Macy's in June of 08', right before my high school graduation, actually! It's a GREAT couch! We jokingly call it 'dangerous' because you can literally not lay down and not fall asleep! I'm sure you've seen leather that when you scratch it with anything- either your fingernails, buttons from jeans, etc. it scratches the leather. Don't get this kind! We have the type that it does not scratch.
My two Labs are not allowed on the furniture. Although Rita is allowed to have her two front legs in our lap, she does this quite often and it's very cute. She sometimes tries to sneak one of her back legs up, LOL! But anyway the couch has held up VERY well!
Good luck!!

Asiel
01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
We have all leather furniture. Only our small dog somehow thinks she's allowed on it , she's so tiny we let her. She always sits on the top so she can look outside. At night she snuggles with me in the lounger or on the couch with hubby. We've had the furniture 6 yrs now and not a mark on it, no scratches or marks of anykind.

MonicanHonda
01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
This really has nothing to do with dogs because Honda wasn't allowed upstairs at my mom's house. But we have a leather couch there. And when you sit or lay on it... if you're prone to getting hot like my family, you sweat all the time. LOL! :) Just throwin' that out there. Haha

Twisterdog
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
We had a Pleather chair. Zeke ate it. Does that count?

Seriously, though, I don't like leather furniture, or car seats. I find it to be cold in the winter and sticky-hot in the summer. It's certainly nice looking, though.

Our living room furniture is that micro fiber stuff. It's made to LOOK just like nice old broken-in leather furniture ... but it's soft and cozy, and so easy to clean.