PDA

View Full Version : Blocking a board (forum)

kuhio98
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Is there a way to block a board so that you don't see it when you click on New Posts?

I don't want to see anything in the Dog House board. I don't want to see the thread titles alluding to some awful, depressing thing in the news. I just don't want to see them. I'm so tired of the negative things that get picked up in the press. I want to concentrate on positive things.

Yes, I know that those awful things are out there, but I want to pick and choose when I feel like I can handle them. Yes, I know I may miss some (probably very few) uplifting stories posted there.

Now I know that I don't have to visit the Dog House to read the postings, but my habit is to click on "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" to see what's happening. I'd like to continue to do that if possible -- just not see the titles in the Dog House.

Is that possible?

Karen
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I will check with Paul, and he will look into it, okay?

Randi
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
You mean blocking a specific Forum!? You can click on those arrows in the right side under each forum, then that forum you won't see. ;) I have done the same - and I also always open Todays Posts first.

kuhio98
01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I will check with Paul, and he will look into it, okay?
That would be great.
If it's not an easy thing to do, please don't spend a lot of your valuable time. I was just wondering.

kuhio98
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
You mean blocking a specific Forum!? You can click on those arrows in the right side under each forum, then that forum you won't see. ;) I have done the same - and I also always open Todays Posts first.
Yes, a specific Forum. (Sorry if I didn't use the right terminology).

I didn't see the arrows on the right side like you mentioned.

Do I click on Today's Posts first and then I'll see the arrows? Or.....?:confused:

Karen
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Paul is looking into it, Randi, when I do that, for example, I still see the posts from, for example, the General forum under "Today's posts," and there's no way to just not see one under a group, like the General forum contains General, Town Hall AND the Dog House.

Randi
01-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Kuhio, it's actually the Forum above that will get closed when you click those double arrows. Try!

Karen, I am able to "close" each and every Forum by clicking all the arrows, but now I see what you mean. In Todays Posts, I see all Forums, even Dog House.

In this case I closed Dog Forum - not sure if the .pdf can be viewed, I had some problems.

kuhio98
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Randi. I was able to view the pdf and I see what you're getting at, but that's not exactly what I'm trying to do.

When I click on either New Posts or Today's Posts, I was hoping to see the title of very post -- except those in the Dog House.

Hopefully, the attachment explains it better. I made up the entry about Animals being tortured. If it's possible, I would not want to see any thread titles in the Dog House. I could always choose to go to the forum itself to view them later.

The Dog House is a valuable forum. I just feel that sometimes we're bombarded with negative, distressing news. Though I may not read the thread, just the title itself puts mental images in my head that I would rather not see if possible.

Thanks for looking into it. I can always go back to click on the forums one at a time -- except the Dog House -- to read thread titles.

gini
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't know how to help you on this matter, but I wanted you to know that I agree with you. Just this morning I saw a new thread that refers to some horrific news I just don't want to see it here on Pet Talk.

I can read it online, or turn on the tv, or read the newspaper if I want that type of information.

Another possibility is to use the "ignore" feature for those who post
this type of news.

Randi
01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Lisa and Gini, I also never open thread titles with horrible news. That kind of news is normally all over TV and newspapers anyway, and is already difficult to avoid. No need for it on PT, in my opinion.

Grace
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
When you sign on to PT, you don't have to check the New Posts or Today's Posts. You can just look on the left side and see where there are new topics. Just stop scrolling down before you get to the bottom (Dog House)

And Kuhio, you very recently posted a topic in the Dog House :confused:

kuhio98
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
When you sign on to PT, you don't have to check the New Posts or Today's Posts. You can just look on the left side and see where there are new topics. Just stop scrolling down before you get to the bottom (Dog House)

Yes, I know this. That's how I used to do it and I can go back to doing that way. I'm just wondering if there is a way for a user to customize their account to not view thread titles for a specific forum.

And Kuhio, you very recently posted a topic in the Dog House :confused:

Not sure what point you're trying to make. :confused:
I will probably continue to post in the Dog House from time-to-time. Like I said, it is a valuable and much enjoyed forum. I just prefer to choose when I see headlines about animals being tortured, children being drowned, acts of violence and cruelty that are in the news, etc.

Everyone here is great ensuring that those kinds of stories are posted in the Dog House. I'm just wondering if there is a way to limit exposure to these nightmare inducing headlines (for me, anyway). Most of the time, I don't read the thread, but the title is disturbing enough.

Grace
01-10-2010, 02:24 PM
[SIZE="3"]Not sure what point you're trying to make. :confused:
I will probably continue to post in the Dog House from time-to-time. Like I said, it is a valuable and much enjoyed forum. I just prefer to choose when I see headlines about animals being tortured, children being drowned, acts of violence and cruelty that are in the news, etc.

Everyone here is great ensuring that those kinds of stories are posted in the Dog House. I'm just wondering if there is a way to limit exposure to these nightmare inducing headlines (for me, anyway). Most of the time, I don't read the thread, but the title is disturbing enough.

I was confused, that's all. You don't want to see the titles, yet you were in there posting. Why would you go in, if the titles upset you?

I often see titles that make me cringe in Cat General or Dog general, or the Health forums. I don't go into these topics, but I know the feeling you are describing. If I didn't want to see any of them, I guess I'd have to give up PT all together.

kuhio98
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I was confused, that's all. You don't want to see the titles, yet you were in there posting. Why would you go in, if the titles upset you?

I often see titles that make me cringe in Cat General or Dog general, or the Health forums. I don't go into these topics, but I know the feeling you are describing. If I didn't want to see any of them, I guess I'd have to give up PT all together.

Ok, the last thing I'll say on the subject. It occured to me at lunch that it's kind of like the Creepy Crawly warning that sometimes appears on the Pet of the Day. The pet it is still there. You can click on it to view it and read it, but it's not thrown in your face in case you have a phobia or something.

You can go into a forum and post without reading the titles of the threads already there. I do it all the time.

The Dog House is a valuable and appropriate board. It's full of lively discussion and debate. I will continue to visit it and post there. I have no issue with anything there. Once again, I'm just asking if there is a way for a member to customize their controls to see only the forums that are of particular interest to them. If there is, I would like to take advantage of it. If there isn't, I'll go back to the way I used to do things. (Clicking on the forums I want to view one-by-one).

I am not, in any way, finding fault with the Dog House forum. I don't find it objectionable at all. Simply asking if a setting exists that I didn't know about that might increase my PT-viewing pleasure. :)

Cinder & Smoke
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
If I didn't want to see any of them,
I guess I'd have to give up PT all together.

I think she was looking for a little less *drastic* remedy.
;)

lizbud
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
To each his own I guess. I just "customize" my viewing with my own 10 fingers.:D

blue
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Simply asking if a setting exists that I didn't know about that might increase my PT-viewing pleasure. :)

Cant hurt to ask. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Cant hurt to ask. ;)

Can't hurt ... too much. :eek:
As long as you can live through a little bit of "lip".

:p

caseysmom
01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Good question Kuhio and you have every right to ask it.

kuhio98
01-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Can't hurt ... too much. :eek:
As long as you can live through a little bit of "lip".

:p

I know I posted that I was through discussing this, but I wanted to thank you and blue and caseysmom. I thought I was just asking a simple question. Maybe I used the wrong terminology. Maybe if I had asked if you can filter the thread titles instead of blocking some folks wouldn't be so snarky.

Maybe I went into too much explanation, but I thought by giving some detail it would help Karen and Paul figure out what I was trying to say. I've never understood the whole subscribing to a forum option so I was just asking if there was a way to do what I described (since I don't know the right terminology).

I think I'll go back to the way I used to read the forums. For the first 2 or 3 years, I don't think I even knew the Dog House existed. :rolleyes: Not the the most observant....... :p

I don't want to block certain member's posts -- I think that was one suggestion. That's not what I am trying to do.

Sheesh! I'm beginning to think this thread belongs in the Dog House! ;) Still not sure why some folks continue to think I'm criticizing something. I love it here at PT and have not plans to leave anytime soon.

gini
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I love it here at PT and have not plans to leave anytime soon.

We would come and get you if you did!!!!:love::love:

kuhio98
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
FYI to those to suggested using the Ignore option.

I tested it out. It doesn't work. I still see thread titles started by the ignored member, but when I open the thread, I don't see their post.

Didn't work as I had hoped. So, I removed my test subject off of my ignore list. I don't really want to ignore anyone.

For those of you who have PM'd me interested in my questions, I've been advised that Paul is not feeling well so he hasn't had a chance to look into it. It may also require a lot of code revision.

Grace
02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
You know, it's not just topics in the Dog House that may need blocking.

I recently went to a new topic in Cat General - title was rather innocuous. But the subject matter was extremely disturbing. It sometime seems that it's not safe to read anything.

Karen
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
You know, it's not just topics in the Dog House that may need blocking.

I recently went to a new topic in Cat General - title was rather innocuous. But the subject matter was extremely disturbing. It sometime seems that it's not safe to read anything.

Tell me, send a PM, and I'll move it to the Dog House, that is where anything "upsetting" goes.

Grace
02-01-2010, 10:39 PM
It was moved. My point being that disturbing topics are not always apparent based solely on title.

Edit: You can't judge a book by it's cover.

smokey the elder
02-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I think that's why well-run forums can't be democracies, but "benevolent dictatorships". Having said that, this is one of the most polite (for the most part!) groups online, but I think a little "engaging the brain before putting the fingers in gear" would go a long way!:)