PDA

View Full Version : Meowing, lots to say or a problem??

Queen of Poop
01-09-2010, 06:21 AM
You all know that I left my husband the middle of October, big changes for the cats and I. About the middle of December Diego (my boy cat) started meowing alot. He sits on the tub and meows, on the counter and meows, on top of the fridge and meows, on the back of the couch and meows, in the window and meows, on the floor and meows. He does this randomly and whenever he wants. Even in the middle of the night. Does he just have alot to say or does he have anxiety? We saw the vet last night and both kitties checked out healthy. I just don't know what's up with all this cat chatter. Any ideas?

moosmom
01-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Gayle,

You KNOW cats don't like change. I would take him to the vet just to rule out any underlying problem.

Good luck on your new life, girl.

Pinot's Mom
01-09-2010, 07:11 AM
...any chance of a hearing loss? It doesn't have to be complete, just possibly a slight change in hearing could cause that.

Queen of Poop
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
We saw the vet last night to rule out any health issues. He's perfectly healthy. I was thinking he was stressed because of all the change. Maybe he's missing Sasha too. So much has happened in the last couple of months.

catmandu
01-09-2010, 09:30 AM
And sometimes a Cat will MEEEEOOOOW just because hes got to MEEEEOOOW!!:cool:
If Sasha and Diego were close , he might be looking for her, hoping that the sound of his MEEEOOOW will bring her out so hey can play together again.:)
I know that the Found Ctas dont Meeeoooww unless they want food, but Juke Joint Joseph cried a lot after Handsome John Hancock became An Awesome Angel, as he missed his Balinese Buddy so much:(
We are praying that Diego adjusts soon.
Maybe a New Kitten for Diego to bond with!!
:cool:

Medusa
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I was thinking he was stressed because of all the change. Maybe he's missing Sasha too. So much has happened in the last couple of months.

This is probably closer to the truth, although the hearing loss did stand out for me. When Coco Puff suddenly went deaf, that's what he did for a while. He regained most of his hearing, though. Is Diego louder than usual or just more vocal?

Randi
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
How old is Diego? I'm asking because Fister has started meowing a lot, and the experts say that older cats meow more. It's certainly true in Fister's case. All I have to do is cuddle with him for about 15 min. and he settles down.

Of course, it could also be all the stress and changes going on in his life.

Queen of Poop
01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
This is probably closer to the truth, although the hearing loss did stand out for me. When Coco Puff suddenly went deaf, that's what he did for a while. He regained most of his hearing, though. Is Diego louder than usual or just more vocal?

Just more vocal. He was never much of a talker, Cali was the chatty catty. Although, since I've posted this today he's been completely quiet. I don't get it.

Queen of Poop
01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
How old is Diego? I'm asking because Fister has started meowing a lot, and the experts say that older cats meow more. It's certainly true in Fister's case. All I have to do is cuddle with him for about 15 min. and he settles down.

Of course, it could also be all the stress and changes going on in his life.

Diego turned 2 on September 1, 2009.

phesina
01-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Do give him lots of extra loving and attention. He is most likely still undone by all the changes and stresses in his life recently.

Catty1
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Little brat! lol He KNEW you posted this problem to Pet Talk, and is just being a cat! ;):)

moosmom
01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I guess he wanted to make sure you were paying attention to what he DID have to say!!:rolleyes:

bowlkat
01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I'll second what a few folks have said: a relatively-young, apparently healthy cat who does what you describe, is (a) somewhat stressed or upset about something (separation anxiety, his missing friend, the population change?), (b) Anxious to tell YOU, the apparent source of consolation and/or solutions, ALLLLLLL about it in meticulous detail, and (c) anxious that you should LISTEN to him about it all! He's got a lot to say about a less-than-desired-level-of-perfect situation, and wants you to hear about it and DO something about it. Pay extra attention to him and it should pass...... in time. BIG changes for the pride, and as many have said, cats don't dig changes at all..... surprises do nothing for them.

krazyaboutkatz
01-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Cats don't like change so I'd say that this is most likely the cause. Even though my RB Starr and my Pearl weren't really buddies, ever since Starr's been gone Pearl has been extra clingy and needy towards me and it's been a little over 6 months now. She's always been very vocal so this sure hasn't changed. As my Storm has gotten older he's found his voice and he's also much more vocal especially about feeding time.

orangemm
01-10-2010, 06:56 AM
A couple of years ago my family came for a week-long visit (all 6 of them plus one more!). Binky is scared of strangers and slinks and hides when they come in the house.

He stayed in our bedroom the entire time, not venturing out unless everyone was asleep and then only for a quick look-see.:rolleyes:

The day they left he finally came out to inspect and began meowing (he hardly EVER made any noise before). He meowed for days on end until he finally figured out they were gone for good and his territory was safe.

Yes, any upset to normal routine will probably trigger a lot of "talking".:confused:

cassiesmom
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I'd vote lots to say. Cassie has become quite the blabbermouth when I come home from work on these very cold days. Meows back at you, precious Diego!

Queen of Poop
01-11-2010, 07:49 AM
He's also become something of a bathroom companion when I am getting ready in the mornings. He's up on the counter rubbing on me and everything else. I give him a gentle combing and he starts to purr. I think he's becoming something of an attention seeker!!