PDA

View Full Version : Dog Shampoo

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I have been meaning to come ask this question here. Then I saw the "how often do you bathe your dog" thread and decided to actually come post my question, finally.

Zoee has the thick, thick coat like most Aussie's do. Twice now after we've bathed her at home she has licked herself raw and got all matted up. Bruce seems to think it's the shampoo we're using. I always have used an oatmeal shampoo on her. And I personally think it was because she didn't get rinsed well enough.

So my question is what is a good shampoo to use on her here at home? I do not know the name of what we used. It was just something I picked up at PetSmart or something.

Bruce bathed them this last time so of course that's why he thinks it's the shampoo now. So I forgot I had some John Paul (Paul Mitchell) dog shampoo I got free from the shelter. It is also Oatmeal and for sensitive skin. I put that out so he can bathe her again with that to see if it is in fact the shampoo. Of course he hasn't done it yet.:rolleyes:

pomtzu
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I use Hartz "Infusions" on the pups. It's an oatmeal shampoo with aloe micro beads in it. It leaves their fur really soft and silky, and it smells good too. I picked it up at Walmart.

They only get a bath about once a month - in between trips to the groomer. Of course if they get into something stinky outside, then I am forced to give an unscheduled bath - like the time Sparky found a dead frog to roll around on just a couple of days after a trip to the groomer. :eek: Brat!!!!! :p

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I use Hartz "Infusions" on the pups. It's an oatmeal shampoo with aloe micro beads in it. It leaves their fur really soft and silky, and it smells good too. I picked it up at Walmart.

They only get a bath about once a month - in between trips to the groomer. Of course if they get into something stinky outside, then I am forced to give an unscheduled bath - like the time Sparky found a dead frog to roll around on just a couple of days after a trip to the groomer. :eek: Brat!!!!! :p

They're good at that aren't they? Luckily my dogs don't do that. My mom's dog (that I think is a Bichon Poodle mix) does the same thing. And she wears her coat so it has to be washed all the time too.

Thanks for the feedback Ellie!! :D Unfortunately I refuse to go to Walmart, but maybe I can find it somewhere else.

pomtzu
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback Ellie!! :D Unfortunately I refuse to go to Walmart, but maybe I can find it somewhere else.

You should be able to pick it up anywhere that carries pet products.

caseysmom
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I have always used johnson's baby shampoo with no problem.

MonicanHonda
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been recommended Tropiclean. I've seen it at PSP... dunno about the other spots. A good shampoo actually does make a great difference in your dog's skin and fur.

Anyways, everyone loves it, but I haven't used it yet. I had a cheap shampoo and it made Delta itch. I have to go buy this new one...

kokopup
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Koko has had skin issues in the late summer into fall that is caused by inhalant allergies. I cleared up her skin problems last year with Virbac etiderm and now keep it under control with Virbac Allergroom on her body and johnsons Baby shampoo on her head. Virbac has a whole
line of products from shampoos, flea control, to nutritional suppliments. There web site also gives advice in bathing frequency and a whole list of advice. Most of there product can be bought online or a Petco.
www.virbac.com/

Candy317
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I have been recommended Tropiclean. I've seen it at PSP... dunno about the other spots. A good shampoo actually does make a great difference in your dog's skin and fur.

Anyways, everyone loves it, but I haven't used it yet. I had a cheap shampoo and it made Delta itch. I have to go buy this new one...

Ditto.

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Great! Thanks you guys for the advice and links. :D

Shelteez2
01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
For dog shampoos I like Bark 2 Basics brand. They have several different varieties, including an oatmeal.
If Zoee has had that shampoo before and not had issues with it then I would bet that she wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough. Leaving suds in the coat can really irritate their skin.

Taz_Zoee
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
If Zoee has had that shampoo before and not had issues with it then I would bet that she wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough. Leaving suds in the coat can really irritate their skin.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it is. It is so bad now. If Bruce doesn't do something about it tomorrow I'm taking her to be groomed. Even though I can't really afford it. I can't stand to see her like this. And when I did it before I took care of it. I wish he would. :( Maybe I can talk him into going with me to the pet wash place and we can do it together. I can't do it here at the house in the tub, it KILLS my back.