PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my Dad, please UPDATE P 2 #22

Freedom
01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I likely won't be on posting so much for a few days.

Dad was in the primary doc's office yesterday and that doc sent us off to the ER.

Dad is in hospital, for 3 nights, and then to rehab for one to two weeks. He can barely stand, can't walk without someone holding on to him. In addition, he has a UTI (urinary tract infection) and is on IV antibiotics. This infection "may" be the reason for losing the leg ability; but it may just be the progression of the Alzheimer's, or it may be another issue, nothing is certain as yet.

He will come home with a walker for sure, perhaps a wheelchair.

All this happened rather quickly, last Friday he was able to walk down the driveway and pick up the newspaper, by Tuesday he needed a wheelchair. (I borrowed one for a few days from the senior center while we got appts made etc.)

I left the hosp after midnight, so still a bit blurry myself. The ER doc gave me the above info. Of course now Dad is admitted he gets another doc who may change things. I've had one phone call this morning with the hospital case manager, and with the rehab. They think they can get his legs working again, not clear how much. And it will take some time.

The hospital is full, they are using all 3 overflow holding areas. Dad is in one of these. They think he will get a room assignment this afternoon. He is 2 weeks shy of one year of his last hospital visit!

Prayers would be most appreciated. Although I may not be back to post for a few days, thanks for replying.

Barbara
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I am so sorry to hear this and hope your dad will be better soon. I suppose it is better if he stays for some days- they can see better how to help him.

Randi
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm sending positive thoughts for your father, and for you to cope - I know how hard it is. :( I hope he will feel better and be able to walk again.

Lilith Cherry
01-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Lots of prayers for you and your Dad!

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Sandie, I will keep you and your dad in my thoughts. ((Hugs)) to both of you.

Karen
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
He will be in our prayers, as will you.

Grace
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Prayers for both of you.

Anikaca77
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Prays for you both.

Melissa

Catty1
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Prayers for your dad - I hope he is more comfortable soon.:love:

moosmom
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way, girl!! Kisses to Dad!

pomtzu
01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Gosh Sandie - I'm so sorry to hear this.

Prayers for both you and Dad coming from us here in Delaware. Hopefully, he will bounce back without too much effort.

gini
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
You have my prayers as well. I hope they can assist him to walk again. This must be so hard on both of you.

Cinder & Smoke
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
* Stuff a Fluff * into your purse and go visiting.

Bound to make ole Dad *perk up*!

:D

Scooter's Mom
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Sandie, I will keep you and your father in my prayers. All my love to you both.

Felicia's Mom
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Both you and your dad will be in my prayers.:love:

ChrisH
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way. {{hugs}}

phesina
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Prayers and healing energies and good wishes for your father and you both, Sandie.

A candle for you both: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9934143

Love and hugs and purrs from Pat and cats

krazyaboutkatz
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to your dad. I hope he'll start feeling better soon. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

3Catcondo
01-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Sending good thoughts for you both. May he have a speedy recovery.

Medusa
01-08-2010, 08:46 PM
You know it, Sandie. Many prayers going up for you and Dad right now.....Keep the faythe. :love:

chocolatepuppy
01-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Many prayers for your Dad Sandie.

Freedom
01-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Wow, I am in tears at how long this thread of good wishes has become! Thanks so much for your kind thoughts, everyone.

Dad will come home Sunday morning. He is incontinent, and can no longer walk or even stand. They have run tests and found nothing new, so conclude this is all part of the normal process of the Alzheimer's. They don't hold much hope for improvement for him. They will arrange for some VNA services (Visiting Nurse), to include, nurse, CNA to help him bath and dress, and also some physical therapy.

I wish the news were better.

pomtzu
01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Sandie - we all wish that the news was better. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease.

You and Dad are still in my prayers.

Catty1
01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
{{{{hugs}}}} Sandy. I have watched my dad and sister decline with two chronic illnesses, and it is almost indescribable to put into words. Frustration, desperation and tears are some of what I remember.

I hope your dad gets the best care, and that the home care will give you some breathing space for yourself.

Prayers for your dad and for you. :love:

Marigold2
01-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Sending you the best wishes, may all be as you wish for your dad.

Medusa
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I wish that the news were better, too, Sandie. I'm really sorry. We'll prop you up whenever you need it as best we can. Keep the faythe. :love:

Karen
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Wishing you the best, and your Dad, too. Just wanted to ask, have you considered joining any support group of caregivers of Alzheimers patients?

krazyaboutkatz
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear the latest update.:( I hope he'll receive the care he needs and just remember we'll all be here for you for emotional support. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both of you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catlady711
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I hope things go smoothly with the visiting nurse and you don't have any more problems. My thoughts are with you and your dad.

Freedom
01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Karen, I've been in a caregiver support group for over a year now. Most of the folks in there are coping with Alzheimer's, although a few are dealing with other issues. I have received so much help form them in the past, getting Dad into the adult day program, finding funding, getting the shuttle bus, all sorts of things. Thanks for thinking of me!

Well, the hospital sent him home Saturday evening! Seems they couldn't get him qualified under the Medicare rules, for needing a hospital level of care. If that had happened, then he could stay 3 nights and go into rehab. They were only able to have him in as "under observation," and that requires that they bill Medicare at a lower rate. So they bumped him home! LOL

The VNA started this afternoon with the initial evaluation, but has to come back in the morning as Dad was completely out of it and uncooperative. :rolleyes:

My brother came over today and got roped in to giving Dad a shower. I don't know who was more awkward! :p

We are managing at this point.

3Catcondo
01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Still sending positive thoughts to you and your family.

cassiesmom
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Prayers for Sandie and dad. Sandie, holler if you need anything.

phesina
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Prayers and good wishes, Sandie, for you and Dad again.

And another candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9947340

Love from Pat and cats

cassiesmom
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Freedom, how are things going?

Freedom
01-14-2010, 06:44 PM
For now, we are trying to work into some sort of routine. The evaluation nurse from Visiting Nurse Assoc came on Sunday and again on Monday. She arranged for a CNA (certified nursing asst) to come in to help him shower, shave and dress. The first visit was Tuesday, and that was great. She also signed dad up for physical therapy and occupational therapy, but I have not heard about those starting as yet. These services will run for 160 days, and then with luck he will be able to return to the adult day program.

"Thelma" is the name Dad gave to his walker. Thelma seems to have a mind of her own, as I routinely find her in a completely different room to where Dad is. :rolleyes: Seems Dad still doesn't want to use a walker, so he hangs on to tables, chairs, dressers, and other furniture instead.

Many thanks for all the well wishes. I was in a bit of shock to say the least at the start of all this. But as we move into a routine, things seem to be settling and calming a bit -- for all of us.

phesina
01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
A candle for Thelma the walker, to help her and your dad get together soon! http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9975794

And another for you and your dad: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9975808

I'm glad to learn what a great help the Visiting Nurse is and that things are smoothing out some for you folks. :love::love:

anna_66
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before now.

I'm very sorry things have progressed like this for your dad. It must be so hard, hard for all of you.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

K9karen
01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Sorry I've been late in seeing this too, Sandie.
My heart goes out to you, as I've been in this situation more times than I care to count. I'm almost in tears remembering the frustration. It's an all consuming situation. I keep an eye on my 91 y.o. aunt, who's in a nursing home, near me, for UTI's and often find myself telling the facility what the problem is. My folks suffered from them often.

Oops...didn't mean to hijack. I just want you to know that my heart and prayers are with you. You are not alone and I wish I was closer to give you a hug. You are a good daughter. Bless you.

Scooter's Mom
01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Sandie, I'm keeping you and your dad in my prayers.
Hope you get your routine worked out soon.

orangemm
01-15-2010, 05:28 AM
(((hugs))) and prayers for your dad and you, Sandie.:love::love:

Just now read this and am praying things improve soon for both of you.

We are always here for you.:love::love:

cassiesmom
01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
A candle and a prayer ...
hugs hugs hugs,
elyse

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=10005024

lvpets2002
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
:( Oh no Sandy I am so sorry that I just now have read this about your dad.. I have so Admired & Respected you for taking care of your dad.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Keep us posted ok..

gini
01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I offer you my prayers. Your task is so difficult and you are a saint for accepting it head on and dealing with things one day at a time.

carole
01-19-2010, 03:13 PM
May you find the strength you need to get you through this tough time , I am thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome, HUGS.