PDA

View Full Version : It can be frustrating!

Medusa
01-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I left the shelter on my patio after LBK was placed in her new home in case the other cats would come around. This morning I saw tiny paw prints in the snow but not to or from the shelter but from underneath my tarped patio furniture. The shelter has blankets in it and, until yesterday, a heating pad. It's covered w/a tarp to protect it from the wind and it's raised off the cold concrete. The tarped patio furniture is directly on the cold concrete and yet that's where the tracks led. Honestly, you'd think the cats would want to be where it's warm and snuggly, wouldn't you? :confused:

Anikaca77
01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
True. Maybe they are scared to go in or something. I know when I found that kitten this morning instead of going in the cat carrier that the owner put out he was underneath car inside the car someplace.

Poor thing but at least he warm at my place.

Melissa

mruffruff
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I truly understand!

I have 5 well-insulated boxes with blankets and Snuggle Safe heaters on my front porch. The stray cats prefer to sit on the cement steps for hours and sleep elsewhere. Go figure.

catmandu
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I have boxes set up and old carriers with blankets and dry food.:love::love::love:
And then the Porch Cats eat the food up, and then sit in the snow or on the step.
:confused::confused:
Even the Porch Cats who by now must know me as the bringer of food run when I come out.
Poor Cats must have been treated roughly if they dont recognize a Friend!!!
:love::love::love:

katladyd
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
It's so sad when they run from you, I know. There is a little tuxie at my apartment complex that is kind of taken care of buy a few of us. He still doesn't completely trust any of us, but he's slowly getting coming around.

Freedom
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Can't you just hear them?

"Those crafty sly humans are at it again! Stay clear!!" :D

Prairie Purrs
01-06-2010, 03:45 PM
The most successful shelter I've had for feral cats (in terms of frequency of use) was something I cobbled together from three small thick-walled styrofoam containers. They were used to ship food items, so they were much thicker than the average cooler. I duct-taped them together with holes cut in between so kitties could get from one "room" to the next, and I cut "doors" in the ends with strips of plastic over those.

I think the occupants liked having two exits/escape routes. And the center area was probably pretty cozy, with that thick styrofoam holding in the body heat. A little feral gray and white girl had her kittens in there, and I was able to get mama and babies to a rescue group.