PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in stores

IRescue452
01-05-2010, 12:49 PM
This topic came up on the now out-of-control dog chaining thread, so I thought I'd move it to another thread. Here is my reasoning for dogs not being brought into stores with the exception of service dogs:

1: The store owners have a choice whether they want your dog in there. You need to respect that choice. If you opened a store, you would want your rules respected. Its common curtesy.

2: The store owner would need to purchase additional insurance if they allowed dogs. That is there choice, but when you sneak dogs in, you are doing them a disservice. What if you just opened a store and couldn't afford the extra insurance?

3: The store is responsible if somebody sneaks in a dog and it pees on the floor. What if a customer slips and falls?

4: The store can be sued if your snuck-in dog bites another customer.

5: Dogs just don't belong in food stores, period. If there is open food in the area are you going to cover your dog with a hairnet when you sneak it in?

6: I've seen a small dog carried into a furniture store. When I buy brand new furniture, I assume it hasn't had a dog sitting on it already. That's the joy of buying brand new. Its what you expect when you buy brand new and what you deserve for paying the price for brand new. Little dog owners shouldn't get to ruin that for people. Who gave them that power? What if somebody is allergic and here's a store selling soft-surface merchandise that sucks up allergens? What if this store is going out of their way to improve air quality to keep their merchandise in good shape and have low amounts of dust on the show floor and you just came in and ruined it for them? Would you like that if you were the store owner?

I personally think stores should be able to not only kick people out, but fine them for sneaking in dogs, especially if they cause damage. You put that store and its merchandise in jeopardy by breaking their rules. Not only that, but if you think you somehow deserve to break rules set up for everybody and sneak your little dog into a store, you're just rude and childish as hell. That's my opinion though.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
From the other thread.

Well thats where you and I will just have to agree to disagree. As long as the dog is well contained, groomed, and well-behaved, I see no problems.

I've gotten my nails done or my hair done with a dog on my lap. They're are by no means therapy dogs, but by taking them with me to get my hair done, its very relaxing having them there and I'm more patient about being under the blow-dryer.

There's even a human waterpark that once a year has a doggy day where they open the park for dogs.

When I use to live in South Beach, its the most dog friendly place I've seen. Lincoln Road Mall is a big place to walk your dog and dogs are allowed in stores and most resturants (sp?) have doggy water dishes outside. Many of the store owners bring their dogs to work. I remember taking Princess with me to get my nails done and she got a doggy treat, her own chair, and they even had a water bowl for dogs.

There's a Mcdonalds store located there, that doesn't have a drive-thru, but has a doggy 'drive-thru' window for customers that have dogs. It was polar opposite of 'no dogs allowed'...people would try to order from there, because inside was pack, and I just thought it was too funny when the Mcdonald's employee told the people without dogs, that they only serve people who have dogs from this window.

I use to be a club promoter and my boss had a dog that looked like Princess, and would take her to have playdates with her dog at the club I worked for, and she would help me promote on the beach somedays or sometimes at night even along the walkside where the clubs would be.

I dunno maybe its just me, but I like my dogs company, not just in the home. And as for leaving them in the car? Under the Florida sun? I DON'T THINK SO.

And btw I don't sneak my dogs in anywhere, the owners of the store know the dog is in the store, and if they don't have a problem with it, I don't see the problem really. And why the bias assumption of little dogs and their owners? I see big dogs in stores too. My dogs walk on a leash in a store, not carried in a tote bag. If they make a mess, I pick it up simple as that, I'm not irresponsible. just like if I had a kid and he threw up or spilled his ice cream on the floor.

The horrors :eek:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/67/l_2b8a069060a75ce5daecab354da5fb2d.jpg

I'm a part of a dog meet up groups and they often meet-up in resturants (sp?) to dine with their dogs. Of course outside the resturant.

And of course if a dog is NOT allowed, I'm not going to bring them in the store, obviously.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the OP is just talking about people who sneak their dogs in. At least that's what I get. Which I agree if you sneak your dogs in. If the place allows you to bring the dog then, then they let you.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I think the OP is just talking about people who sneak their dogs in. At least that's what I get. Which I agree if you sneak your dogs in. If the place allows you to bring the dog then, then they let you.

Well the whole allergy thing could be noted for any dog period in a store, snuck in or not.

And I find her/his last statement of 'sneaking your little dog' very rude. I have to deal with that BS all the time, oh because I have a little dog I think I'm special and am allowed to do things big dog owners can't do. I just get this whole rerun of the witch from the Wizard of Oz, which scared the bejeebus out of me watching it as a kid when people say 'your little dog'. *Shivers*

How about just MY DOG, not my little dog, not my fro fro dog, MY DOG.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
lol! My friend is terrified of it, but my mother loves it. The movie of course. Hahaha "And your little dog tooo!"

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Great topic! It's a toughy really. I think if the store has a "No pets" policy on the door it should be abided... a fine, good idea, the rules being infoced...even better!, if not...shame on the business owner... as a business owner myself there are certain things I know happen in my line of work so I take every step to cover my @$$ to prevent law suites. I don't run retail, but the fundamentals are all the same in any line of business... Set the standards and they will be followed, if they aren't followed its your responisbility to step up to the plate and inforce them. As a business owner you have to for see the unexpected especially when you deal with the public.

What is even harder... is if you go to a pet friendly place, how to you turn down one dog and allow another in? I would personally not put my own @$$ on the line for someone else. Not everyone is as responsible with their dogs as I am with mine...heck, it's not even responsibility, it's more about thoroughly knowing the body language of dogs. I cannot stand going into the vet and watching the owners who have their dogs on retractable leashes and let their pets approach another dog to sniff noses. When pressure is applied to a stressed/dominant dogs neck it kicks in those fight or flight issues and that is why there is so many freaking face snapping incidents while waiting in the lobby.

Oooh, I could go on and on about ignorance. I believe that is ignorance because dogs body language is something everyone should know before getting a dog... after all how else are they going to talk to us?

Taz_Zoee
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree it's not okay to sneak a dog in. And if the store doesn't allow it then don't bring the dog. Simple as that. If the place (nail salon or whatever) allows it then that's on the store owner.

We went to Alcatraz Island last month and as you walk around on the audio tour you tend to be with the same people all the way through. There was a woman who appeared to be with her mother and her young son. I saw them several times and finally almost toward the end of the tour I noticed she had a small black dog in her jacket with it's head peaking out. I never even noticed it most of the time. And me being the dog/animal freak I am would have noticed that right away. But because it was so tiny, black (it blended in with her sweatshirt), and didn't make a peep I didn't see it. But after I did notice it I just kept thinking....she brought that thing over on the boat. She's walking all over this island with it. Mind you, the island doesn't even allow you to eat or drink in certain areas. I kept watching her to see if she let the dog out to potty. Never saw it. That bothered me a little. I'm sure the staff never even saw the puppy either. I can't imagine they'd allow it.

But I did see a person with a puppy in the shopping cart in a Safeway. I thought it was cute, but I can see how that shouldn't be allowed. Then again, I saw a woman who was training a service dog (puppy) in a grocery store too. I asked if I could pet him and she made him sit first. That's different because they need to be exposed to all types of things.

Just thought of something else. I have a friend that is TERRIFIED of any animal big or small. I've posted about her here in the past. I'm sure she doesn't expect to run into a dog (other than service animals of course) in a nail salon or grocery store. I mean, she will run and hide if she see's a cockatiel!!! That's another thing to think of when allowing animals in public places, unless it's obvious they are allowed.

Wow, I was all over the place with this post. Sorry. :o

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
How about just MY DOG, not my little dog, not my fro fro dog, MY DOG.

Your little fro fro dog Valentino can sneak over to my house anytime Candy!

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
You guys are going to get it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knTRpc0kegc

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll have to watch that one when I get home from work, I didn't go above and beyond for this cheapy work computer and get speakers :(

EDIT: Cute little boy though!

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Great topic! It's a toughy really. I think if the store has a "No pets" policy on the door it should be abided... a fine, good idea, the rules being infoced...even better!, if not...shame on the business owner... as a business owner myself there are certain things I know happen in my line of work so I take every step to cover my @$$ to prevent law suites. I don't run retail, but the fundamentals are all the same in any line of business... Set the standards and they will be followed, if they aren't followed its your responisbility to step up to the plate and inforce them. As a business owner you have to for see the unexpected especially when you deal with the public.

What is even harder... is if you go to a pet friendly place, how to you turn down one dog and allow another in? I would personally not put my own @$$ on the line for someone else. Not everyone is as responsible with their dogs as I am with mine...heck, it's not even responsibility, it's more about thoroughly knowing the body language of dogs. I cannot stand going into the vet and watching the owners who have their dogs on retractable leashes and let their pets approach another dog to sniff noses. When pressure is applied to a stressed/dominant dogs neck it kicks in those fight or flight issues and that is why there is so many freaking face snapping incidents while waiting in the lobby.

Oooh, I could go on and on about ignorance. I believe that is ignorance because dogs body language is something everyone should know before getting a dog... after all how else are they going to talk to us?

I only use a flexi if we're in a park, but I gave my flexi to my sister. I don't let my dogs come close to others unless I ask if its ok with the dog owner first. But yeah I seen a lot of breed/size bias, no personally, but heard of doggy camps or groomers that don't allow pits or big dogs, such shame :(

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not going to go into depth on this and create a hassle, but unless it's a service dog, it doesn't belong in a store other than a pet/pet supply store. The size of the dog doesn't matter.
The store owner/manager is responsible for the safety of his patrons, and a dog in a store could compromise this. And I'm not talking necessarily of a dog that may bite. All a dog would have to do is slobber a little, the owner doesn't notice or clean it up, someone steps in it and and slips and falls. LAWSUIT!!! And it's the store that takes the hit - not the dog owner.
So - IMO - it is irresponsible for anyone to take a dog in a store, without good cause.
My state may be a small state, but stores here are smart enough to cover their back sides and not allow dogs in stores at random.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not going to go into depth on this and create a hassle, but unless it's a service dog, it doesn't belong in a store other than a pet/pet supply store. The size of the dog doesn't matter.
The store owner/manager is responsible for the safety of his patrons, and a dog in a store could compromise this. And I'm not talking necessarily of a dog that may bite. All a dog would have to do is slobber a little, the owner doesn't notice or clean it up, someone steps in it and and slips and falls. LAWSUIT!!! And it's the store that takes the hit - not the dog owner.
So - IMO - it is irresponsible for anyone to take a dog in a store, without good cause.
My state may be a small state, but stores here are smart enough to cover their back sides and not allow dogs in stores at random.

That is NOT the owners responsibility to do so, that is the OWNERS.

And thats whats wrong with this country, people are too sue-happy. What am I going to sue a five year old kid, because he spilled his ice cream om $50 shirt? Or wait, lets take that a step further, just sue Diary Queen for the mishap, that'll be a much bigger settlement, it was their ice cream at fault.

Did you hear about the lawsuit at an aquarium that someone slipped and blamed it on the dolphins for throwing water? What'cha expect? Or the lawsuit where three boys died because they got stuck in the back of the truck and they blamed the car company? Where were the parents watching them?!! Or the robber who falls while trying to break into the house and sues the people of the house for his fall?! Seriously if something happens, and the first thing you can come up with is 'sue', I feel bad living in such society.

I dunno, I rather live in my dog-friendly state :) I haven't heard any store gets sue because of dog stories so far.

Call me irresponsible, yet I have never caused an issue at a store with my dogs. As for my good cause, it brings people joy when they see a dog where they would not frequently see a dog. I get alot of people who tell me aw reminds me of my old dog, or this made my day, ect. Not to mention I enjoy my dogs company and they enjoy my company, thats a good enough 'cause' for me alone.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I only use a flexi if we're in a park, but I gave my flexi to my sister. I don't let my dogs come close to others unless I ask if its ok with the dog owner first. But yeah I seen a lot of breed/size bias, no personally, but heard of doggy camps or groomers that don't allow pits or big dogs, such shame :(

IMO, flexi's aren't safe for everyone... I've had their lock break one too many times. I was walking my grandmas GSD (Griz, this dog looked like he was on STERIODS lmfao) one time on this darn flexi lead.. well a Rottie jumped his little 4 ft fence and was coming at me, not the GSD. Well, Griz's instincts kicked in and he took OFF after that Rottie, the lock broke and I, like an idiot, grabbed the cord with both hands... that stupid leash kept going, my hands weren't enough of a lock for it, and I burned right through both palms of my hand, i could barely let go, and nasty burn/meat was what I had to deal with for the next 2 weeks! Eeeek! Needless to say, Griz corralled the Rottie back into his fence, and made sure he stayed there.

I think a retractable doesn't give owners much to rely on in the heat of a unavoidable incident, I know it sounds bad, but one time I had to save a mean little long hair Chi from a protective Am. Staff momma. The owner of the Am. Staff left the bathroom door open (where momma decided to have her babies). The girl was boarding the Chi this Thanksgiving because the vet refused to take care of him because no one could touch him. In the blink of an eye there was this 75 pound Am. Staff ontop of this Chi with no sound and in a split second later the Am Staffs mouth was open over top of the Chis little head. I know it sounds bad, but I did what I had to in that moment, Immediately yanked the Chi up by the nylon slip lead and hung him and ran into another bedroom to shut the door between me and the Am Staff mom. If I had a retractable leash I wouldn't have had the opportunity to save that mean little pooper lol... EDIT: by the time i locked the leash the chi would have been headless.

Okay, I know that was off topic and I'm sorry.

Back on topic:
Dogs in stores = is okay by me, but not everyone and I understand that. As business owners, they need to cover their rear ends and making the rules VERY clear before the customer steps foot into the door. Even then I can't promise it'll solve the stupidity of the general public lmfao.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
IMO, flexi's aren't safe for everyone... I've had their lock break one too many times. I was walking my grandmas GSD (Griz, this dog looked like he was on STERIODS lmfao) one time on this darn flexi lead.. well a Rottie jumped his little 4 ft fence and was coming at me, not the GSD. Well, Griz's instincts kicked in and he took OFF after that Rottie, the lock broke and I, like an idiot, grabbed the cord with both hands... that stupid leash kept going, my hands weren't enough of a lock for it, and I burned right through both palms of my hand, i could barely let go, and nasty burn/meat was what I had to deal with for the next 2 weeks! Eeeek! Needless to say, Griz corralled the Rottie back into his fence, and made sure he stayed there.

I think a retractable doesn't give owners much to rely on in the heat of a unavoidable incident, I know it sounds bad, but one time I had to save a mean little long hair Chi from a protective Am. Staff momma. The owner of the Am. Staff left the bathroom door open (where momma decided to have her babies). The girl was boarding the Chi this Thanksgiving because the vet refused to take care of him because no one could touch him. In the blink of an eye there was this 75 pound Am. Staff ontop of this Chi with no sound and in a split second later the Am Staffs mouth was open over top of the Chis little head. I know it sounds bad, but I did what I had to in that moment, Immediately yanked the Chi up by the nylon slip lead and hung him and ran into another bedroom to shut the door between me and the Am Staff mom. If I had a retractable leash I wouldn't have had the opportunity to save that mean little pooper lol... EDIT: by the time i locked the leash the chi would have been headless

Good thing you saved the little chi. But yeah have you seen the warnings on the flexi leads :eek:

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
That is NOT the owners responsibility to do so, that is the OWNERS.

And thats whats wrong with this country, people are too sue-happy. What am I going to sue a five year old kid, because he spilled his ice cream om $50 shirt? Or wait, lets take that a step further, just sue Diary Queen for the mishap, that'll be a much bigger settlement, it was their ice cream at fault.

Did you hear about the lawsuit at an aquarium that someone slipped and blamed it on the dolphins for throwing water? What'cha expect? Or the lawsuit where three boys died because they got stuck in the back of the truck and they blamed the car company? Where were the parents watching them?!! Or the robber who falls while trying to break into the house and sues the people of the house for his fall?! Seriously if something happens, and the first thing you can come up with is 'sue', I feel bad living in such society.

I dunno, I rather live in my dog-friendly state :) I haven't heard any store gets sue because of dog stories so far.

Call me irresponsible, yet I have never caused an issue at a store with my dogs. As for my good cause, it brings people joy when they see a dog where they would not frequently see a dog. I get alot of people who tell me aw reminds me of my old dog, or this made my day, ect. Not to mention I enjoy my dogs company and they enjoy my company, thats a good enough 'cause' for me alone.

Sorry - but I sure don't understand your first sentence here. :confused: It's not the owner's responsibility - it's the owners?????? :confused:

It is the responsibility of the DOG owner to clean up after the dog. If he doesn't and there is a mishap, the store owner would take the hit - not the dog owner.

Sure people are sue happy - I don't agree with it in most instances - but it happens no matter how petty the issue. If I were a store owner, I sure would do everything possible to cover my back side.

BTW - these are my opinions and observations and they obviously aren't worth a hill of beans. :rolleyes:

Candy317
01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry - but I sure don't understand your first sentence here. :confused: It's not the owner's responsibility - it's the owners?????? :confused:

It is the responsibility of the DOG owner to clean up after the dog. If he doesn't and there is a mishap, the store owner would take the hit - not the dog owner.

Sure people are sue happy - I don't agree with it in most instances - but it happens no matter how petty the issue. If I were a store owner, I sure would do everything possible to cover my back side.

BTW - these are my opinions and observations and they obviously aren't worth a hill of beans. :rolleyes:

Oh sorry I meant store owner then dog owner...I thought you were talking about the store owner.

And yes your opinion does matter, because I'm one of those 'irresponsible' people that brings dogs into stores......I want to know exactly how it makes me irresponsible?

Because OTHERS have let their dogs pee in stores? Why should *I* take them blame for that?! Why shouldn't I be allowed to bring my well-behaved dogs in a store? Its the same thing like with bully breeds, because others aren't responsible with their dogs and bites and whatnot have happened, then others who are responsible have to deal with other people's mistakes in the sake of having their breed banned or pts or not allowed in their home/apartment. Have you seen the picture of all the 'pit bulls' that have been pts, because they've been banned? And what have them done wrong? NOTHING, but be someone's beloved pet and be born the 'wrong' breed.

Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is. If a dog owner has an unruly dog in a store, then no they shouldn't be allowed in the store, but on the other hand, not everyone is an irresponsible dog owner.

Lets ban kids from stores while we're at it. I've seen more store mishaps from a kid than a dog my whole lifetime. Speaking of I never seen a dog break a store's item or messed up the shoe rack in a shoe store after I just rearranged it, grr lol minor rant there. I mean because a couple of kids are unruly and their parents allow them, should then everyone else with kids suffer the consequences? Doesn't seem fair now does it?

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Ouch for the hands with the german shepherd. That sounds horrible. Ick.That just makes my hands hurt!!!

As for suing, people do go crazy with that! It's insane!

I ONLY use my flexi leash for taking Delta outside to go potty (no fence). Then we go right back up the stairs. (I live in an apartment). If I go for a walk, definitely a regular leash....

YOUR POOR HANDS!!! Haha, that really bothers me. Lol

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Ouch for the hands with the german shepherd. That sounds horrible. Ick.That just makes my hands hurt!!!

As for suing, people do go crazy with that! It's insane!

I ONLY use my flexi leash for taking Delta outside to go potty (no fence). Then we go right back up the stairs. (I live in an apartment). If I go for a walk, definitely a regular leash....

YOUR POOR HANDS!!! Haha, that really bothers me. Lol

Oh yeah, it definitely brought a tear to my eye and made me get sick to my stomach when i finally was able to let go of the leash.

Karen
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is. If a dog owner has an unruly dog in a store, then no they shouldn't be allowed in the store, but on the other hand, not everyone is an irresponsible dog owner.

Lets ban kids from stores while we're at it. I've seen more store mishaps from a kid than a dog my whole lifetime. Speaking of I never seen a dog break a store's item or messed up the shoe rack in a shoe store after I just rearranged it, grr lol minor rant there. I mean because a couple of kids are unruly and their parents allow them, should then everyone else with kids suffer the consequences? Doesn't seem fair now does it?

The laws are the way they are for a reason. And in general, we all pay for the crimes of the few, living in society with other humans. There are laws about who can drive, who can drink alcohol, etc - because of the irresponsible minority, not the rest of the responsible majority.

And because there are irresponsible pet owners, for example, landlords are allowed to prohibit pet ownership in apartments. It is sad, but that's the way it is, and the same with dogs in stores.

Asiel
01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a dog that comes with me everywhere I go. Licenced to do so. But I don't approve of dogs in stores either. Not because they are "just dogs", but because people don't seem to care what their dogs do when in public places. I hesitate to bring my dog into our pet store because all dogs are welcomed there. And what do these dogs do? They pee on the bottom shelves of everything, even on bags of dog food. Some snarl and go for other dogs, the owners let their dogs chew and play with toys from the shelves etc., some have the runs and just let it go all over the floor. This store has clean up stations at every corner but the owners turn a blind eye when their dogs soil inside the store. I can count on one hand the responsible owners that do clean up an accident and you can tell they didn't expect their dog to do this. The others are just oblivious to anything their dogs do and the employees are stuck with cleaning up, they are not allowed to tell the owners to do it for fear of losing customers. I think this really sucks when owners take advantage of stores allowing pets to come in their store.
My vet puts her dogs in a carrier that she pushes, she doesn't let her dogs on the floor for fear of contracting a disease and she told me I should avoid taking mine inside for the same reasons. So in my opinion I vote that dogs shouldn't be allowed in any store if owners are so irresponsible.

kokopup
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I can understand here in the US why most places should not allow dogs. First the average American would not feel responsible if the animal did it's business in the store. I see kids being brats and parents looking the other way, they would do the same with a dog. Most pets are not trained well enough to go in stores especially a restaurant.

When I lived in the Netherland dogs were allow any where people were. I will say that pets, and children, were better trained and behaved there.

I have run into a few places that know me and Koko, and they have invited her in their stores. One is a bike shop that I go to a lot, and the other is a coffee shop were I go for coffee. Koko enjoys going to Petco and would have a fit if I tried going in without her.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
The laws are the way they are for a reason. And in general, we all pay for the crimes of the few, living in society with other humans. There are laws about who can drive, who can drink alcohol, etc - because of the irresponsible minority, not the rest of the responsible majority.

And because there are irresponsible pet owners, for example, landlords are allowed to prohibit pet ownership in apartments. It is sad, but that's the way it is, and the same with dogs in stores.

I get that, I'm not for bringing a dog were a dog is not allowed. But I want to know how it makes me 'irresponsible' if the dog is allowed in a store.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I used to work at a pet store. I can't remember the dog type, but this guys dog stopped RIGHT when they walked in and released a mass of diarrhea on our carpets. He just turned around and left without saying anything. We were like, "Dude, we see you. We're going to remember you." >.>

Candy317
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a dog that comes with me everywhere I go. Licenced to do so. But I don't approve of dogs in stores either. Not because they are "just dogs", but because people don't seem to care what their dogs do when in public places. I hesitate to bring my dog into our pet store because all dogs are welcomed there. And what do these dogs do? They pee on the bottom shelves of everything, even on bags of dog food. Some snarl and go for other dogs, the owners let their dogs chew and play with toys from the shelves etc., some have the runs and just let it go all over the floor. This store has clean up stations at every corner but the owners turn a blind eye when their dogs soil inside the store. I can count on one hand the responsible owners that do clean up an accident and you can tell they didn't expect their dog to do this. The others are just oblivious to anything their dogs do and the employees are stuck with cleaning up, they are not allowed to tell the owners to do it for fear of losing customers. I think this really sucks when owners take advantage of stores allowing pets to come in their store.
My vet puts her dogs in a carrier that she pushes, she doesn't let her dogs on the floor for fear of contracting a disease and she told me I should avoid taking mine inside for the same reasons. So in my opinion I vote that dogs shouldn't be allowed in any store if owners are so irresponsible.

Thats a very broad generalization in the bold.

And I find what your vet does cruel. Dogs NEED to be walked. I've seen dogs lose muscle mass from being carried a purse all day and never walked. If the dog is vaccinated I don't see the need for fear of diseases. Does it ever be allowed to take a walk down the block? There are much much more diseases on grass and in neighborhoods than the dog would contact in a store. Reminds me of the movie Bubble Boy. A vet office is a different store however.

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh sorry I meant store owner then dog owner...I thought you were talking about the store owner.

And yes your opinion does matter, because I'm one of those 'irresponsible' people that brings dogs into stores......I want to know exactly how it makes me irresponsible?

Because OTHERS have let their dogs pee in stores? Why should *I* take them blame for that?! Why shouldn't I be allowed to bring my well-behaved dogs in a store? Its the same thing like with bully breeds, because others aren't responsible with their dogs and bites and whatnot have happened, then others who are responsible have to deal with other people's mistakes in the sake of having their breed banned or pts or not allowed in their home/apartment. Have you seen the picture of all the 'pit bulls' that have been pts, because they've been banned? And what have them done wrong? NOTHING, but be someone's beloved pet and be born the 'wrong' breed.

Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is.

As I said - what I say is my opinion.

Irresponsible - because you (or anybody) is thinking of yourself/themselves, and not the safety and comfort of the patrons who do not bring their dogs in a store. People go to stores to shop. Why do dogs go to stores? Certainly not to shop - only because their owner takes them along. And yes - children go to stores but not to shop. They go with their parents or another adult because they cannot be left at home. You can leave your dog home but choose not to, so doggie tags along only because his owner wants him there. Even when I go to Petsmart, my dogs ride in a cart and do not walk beside me. I would rather be safe than sorry. And yes - I do realize that not all dogs are of a size to ride in a cart!

No one said you should take the blame for someone else's dog. If you were to sit your well behaved dog next to one not so well behaved, could I tell the difference just by looking at them. Of course not! Can a store owner tell the difference? Of course not! It would be next to impossible to judge if the dog is store friendly, and could not be done on a case by case basis. And I'm not singling out a particular breed either. I've come across a couple of very loveable pits (in my limited exposure to them), and some very nasty and ill tempered little dogs. The size or the breed is not the issue.

Perhaps it's my age showing here, and I'm not in tune to the changing times. I know that I'm a whole lot older than most here. I was brought up in a different generation that had a different set of values and a lot more respect for others. Somehow, those values have changed, and us old dinosaurs haven't. So I will stick to my beliefs on issues, but I harbour no hard feelings toward those who think differently than I do.

Just remember, there is usually no right or wrong, or black or white, but somewhere in between those extremes, there can be a happy medium.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
As I said - what I say is my opinion.

Irresponsible - because you (or anybody) is thinking of yourself/themselves, and not the safety and comfort of the patrons who do not bring their dogs in a store. People go to stores to shop. Why do dogs go to stores? Certainly not to shop - only because their owner takes them along. And yes - children go to stores but not to shop. They go with their parents or another adult because they cannot be left at home. You can leave your dog home but choose not to, so doggie tags along only because his owner wants him there. Even when I go to Petsmart, my dogs ride in a cart and do not walk beside me. I would rather be safe than sorry. And yes - I do realize that not all dogs are of a size to ride in a cart!

No one said you should take the blame for someone else's dog. If you were to sit your well behaved dog next to one not so well behaved, could I tell the difference just by looking at them. Of course not! Can a store owner tell the difference? Of course not! It would be next to impossible to judge if the dog is store friendly, and could not be done on a case by case basis. And I'm not singling out a particular breed either. I've come across a couple of very loveable pits (in my limited exposure to them), and some very nasty and ill tempered little dogs. The size or the breed is not the issue.

Perhaps it's my age showing here, and I'm not in tune to the changing times. I know that I'm a whole lot older than most here. I was brought up in a different generation that had a different set of values and a lot more respect for others. Somehow, those values have changed, and us old dinosaurs haven't. So I will stick to my beliefs on issues, but I harbour no hard feelings toward those who think differently than I do.

Just remember, there is usually no right or wrong, or black or white, but somewhere in between those extremes, there can be a happy medium.

I see in no point to even mention pit bulls after saying 'I'm not singling out a particular breed either'...you could of just said I've met very loveable dogs and some nasty dogs. Very contradicting statement there. :confused:

I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about my dogs. Socialization and not leaving them bored in the house are two reasons why. As for safety of other people. I have my dogs on a leash of which I'm in FULL control of, that alone is safety for others. As for me I know my dogs would not feel comfortable in a cart (ouchie their paws) nor a tote bag, so thats why I allowed them to walk on a leash, but thats just me and because my dogs like to walk.

You can't tell if a dog is dog park friendly either, but once the dog starts to act up, the owner is asked to leave, same rules should apply in a store setting.

Aidan
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't think I would take my dogs into a store without knowing if I could or not but I do not look down on others who do as long as their dogs are well behaved. I think they are doing it for the right reasons wanting to socialize their dogs and have them out with them at all times. Just makes for an overall more balanced dog, setting them up to be comfortable in all situations.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
As for people who have a problem with dogs being in stores for the matter of fact that they don't like dogs or whatever.....well I personally don't like looking at someone in a store with their pants sagging, but they have every right to shop there, and I have every right to not look or leave the store if it bothers me that greatly.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't think I would take my dogs into a store without knowing if I could or not but I do not look down on others who do as long as their dogs are well behaved. I think they are doing it for the right reasons wanting to socialize their dogs and have them out with them at all times. Just makes for an overall more balanced dog, setting them up to be comfortable in all situations.

Thanks for your post! :)

Candy317
01-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I've even brought my dogs to college with me on a couple of occasions, usually for a presentation, once about dog massage and another of dog therapy. They sat through the whole class, not making one peep, and some students that came in late was suprised when it was time to leave that I had a dog with me the whole time! The dean and everyone in the school loved it when I brought them.

Asiel
01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Thats a very broad generalization in the bold.

And I find what your vet does cruel. Dogs NEED to be walked. I've seen dogs lose muscle mass from being carried a purse all day and never walked. If the dog is vaccinated I don't see the need for fear of diseases. Does it ever be allowed to take a walk down the block? There are much much more diseases on grass and in neighborhoods than the dog would contact in a store. Reminds me of the movie Bubble Boy. A vet office is a different store however.

Seeing that Monica worked in a pet store and witnessed what I just said I don't think it's a generalized opinion. But it is the general owners that do act like this since everyone in the store states the same opinion.

As for my vet being cruel maybe you should pay attention to what you read. I didn't say she never allowed her dogs to walk or exercise, matter of fact they are agility champs. I said she will not allow her dogs on the floor in this PARTICULAR PET STORE...big difference.

How would you feel if you had a prosthesis and a dog lifted his leg on you? Might just change your mind about ill behaved dogs and owners.

I stand by my opinion because people today just don't care, whether it be ill behaved kids or untrained dogs. I think I must be getting old also because I remember the days where people respected others and their property.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Seeing that Monica worked in a pet store and witnessed what I just said I don't think it's a generalized opinion. But it is the general owners that do act like this since everyone in the store states the same opinion.

As for my vet being cruel maybe you should pay attention to what you read. I didn't say she never allowed her dogs to walk or exercise, matter of fact they are agility champs. I said she will not allow her dogs on the floor in this PARTICULAR PET STORE...big difference.

How would you feel if you had a prosthesis and a dog lifted his leg on you? Might just change your mind about ill behaved dogs and owners.

I stand by my opinion because people today just don't care, whether it be ill behaved kids or untrained dogs. I think I must be getting old also because I remember the days where people respected others and their property.

That's in a pet store...there is dog pee scent after dog pee scent everywhere. Somewhere were A LOT of dogs go to. In a regular store, I highly doubt it there is much doggy scent where dogs feel the need to mark or make a mess, and if the owner is responsible they have their dogs relieve themselves BEFORE going to any sort of store or not bring a dog with marking/potty issues into a store.

And btw I respect people and their property AND bring my well-behaved dogs to stores :)

And I've meant plenty of ill-behaved dogs and irresponsible dog owners, yet it will not make an impact on me, because I've also met well-behaved dogs and responsible dog owners, and I would not fault them, because of other people. I can say I've met many yappy small dogs, but doesn't change my mind that not all small dogs (including mines) are NOT yappy.

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I see in no point to even mention pit bulls after saying 'I'm not singling out a particular breed either'...you could of just said I've met very loveable dogs and some nasty dogs. Very contradicting statement there. :confused:

I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about my dogs. Socialization and not leaving them bored in the house are two reasons why. As for safety of other people. I have my dogs on a leash of which I'm in FULL control of, that alone is safety for others. As for me I know my dogs would not feel comfortable in a cart (ouchie their paws) nor a tote bag, so thats why I allowed them to walk on a leash, but thats just me and because my dogs like to walk.

You can't tell if a dog is dog park friendly either, but once the dog starts to act up, the owner is asked to leave, same rules should apply in a store setting.

Since you made reference to the bully breed, I was just going with the flow. I fail to see what is contradictory in what I said. :confused: And I don't feel the need to take my dogs to the store to socialize - they get plenty of love and attention and socialization right here at home. They probably enjoy their quiet time when I go shopping and leave them here.

I'm not here to try to change anybody's mind about anything. We all have opinions, just as we all have.......well, you know how that ends. :eek:

So this dinosaur is done here, because no matter what I say, there will be a rebuttal and the bantering will go on and on and on............

Again - as I said - it's my opinion and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. :rolleyes:

Candy317
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Since you made reference to the bully breed, I was just going with the flow. I fail to see what is contradictory in what I said. :confused: And I don't feel the need to take my dogs to the store to socialize - they get plenty of love and attention and socialization right here at home. They probably enjoy their quiet time when I go shopping and leave them here.

I'm not here to try to change anybody's mind about anything. We all have opinions, just as we all have.......well, you know how that ends. :eek:

So this dinosaur is done here, because no matter what I say, there will be a rebuttal and the bantering will go on and on and on............

Again - as I said - it's my opinion and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. :rolleyes:

I don't see the need for the attitude. And I don't see how they can be socialized in the home.

My dogs have been socialized because of dog parks and outings where they see dogs from chihuahuas to great danes and people from men, children, women, black, asian, tall people, short people ect. I've seen too many dogs having aggression towards men, blacks, big dogs, small dogs, ect because they are not use to seeing them to keep them cooped up in the house.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't understand nor will I ever understand why some people keep brining up posts and threads from the past....:confused: It done. It's over with. Lets leave it alone, and MOVE ON.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't understand nor will I ever understand why some people keep brining up posts and threads from the past....:confused: It done. It's over with. Lets leave it alone, and MOVE ON.

You know you don't have to comment/post if you don't like it :confused: Some people actually like a good debate once in a while.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok, whatever. I've stayed out of these so-called 'debates' for as long as I've been a member here.
This is more picking at a subject from a few weeks ago that went into flames... I've tried to stay out. But it's now getting old to log on PT and there is still a argument going on. Let's move on, please.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok, whatever. I've stayed out of these so-called 'debates' for as long as I've been a member here.
This is more picking at a subject from a few weeks ago that went into flames... I've tried to stay out. But it's now getting old to log on PT and there is still a argument going on. Let's move on, please.

There are plenty of other topics and picture threads to look at if you don't like it :)

GiantSchnauzer
01-05-2010, 05:53 PM
There's a time and a place for everything. Dogs don't belong in stores. I take my well behaved dogs where ever I can. However, I don't take them shopping with me. Imagine what stores would turn into if everyone was allowed to bring their dogs shopping. The major pet chains can't even keep their stores spotless. On top of that some folks can't even control their kids let alone a dog. Then you have to take into consideration that there are people out there that don't like dogs. It's beyond me why people can't leave there dogs home for a couple hours and run a few errands.

just my opinion of course. :-)

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
There's a time and a place for everything. Dogs don't belong in stores. I take my well behaved dogs where ever I can. However, I don't take them shopping with me. Imagine what stores would turn into if everyone was allowed to bring their dogs shopping. The major pet chains can't even keep their stores spotless. On top of that some folks can't even control their kids let alone a dog. Then you have to take into consideration that there are people out there that don't like dogs. It's beyond me why people can't leave there dogs home for a couple hours and run a few errands.

Thank you - and amen!!!:D

Candy317
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Well everyday I took Princess out for a walk. We walked by Lincoln Road Mall, we went by the store where the owner has a little pom to say hi, then we went to McDs through the pick-up window, and ordered some Mcnuggets and vanilla sundae to eat. After we went by the nail salon to say hi to the owner's little maltese and given the day, I would get my nails done with Princess on my lap or in her own chair. After we went on Ocean Drive and she would attract people with her VIP wristband on her neck and her cuteness, while I handed out flyers for the club. Then back home we went.

Oh I never seen one doggy mess in the whole time I was in South Beach, the locals are pretty good about cleaning after their dogs, plus there's also police and stuff around to remind those who don't abide by the curb after your dog law.

Could of I gone the day without her? Sure. Could she of stayed home alone, sleeping? Sure. I don't know about you, but it seems a lot more fun for her to go out with me than being home alone for a couple of hours ;)

I don't know, maybe South Florida is just too animal-friendly for some. I saw many people on their bikes or walking with snakes on their necks. And I doubt it many people with phobias of snakes want to see that. I've seen everything from someone walking a cat, a small monkey, even a guy and his rooster. Meh, to me there's no such thing as too animal-friendly! Maybe thats why we're known for our hospitality, because there's so much animals around! Animals do have the tendacy to make people smile!

Grace
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
. . . . Some people actually like a good debate once in a while.

As was mentioned in another post some months back, this is not the PT Debating Board. If debate is what you seek, try this. (http://www.globalpaw.com/forum/dog-debate-forum/)

Asiel
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Thank you - and amen!!!:D

Ditto for me - Thanks to both of you !! ; )

Candy317
01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
As was mentioned in another post some months back, this is not the PT Debating Board. If debate is what you seek, try this. (http://www.globalpaw.com/forum/dog-debate-forum/)

Why would you refer people to another forum? That seems sort of silly, to drive members away from a forum. Plus GP is a pretty nonactive forum. As long as people treat each other with respect, I don't see a problem with debating every now and then. Is it in the rules that we cannot debate on PT? :confused: I don't see whats wrong with disagreements. The world isn't skittles, my little ponies, rainbows, people holding hands, and having the same beliefs you know?

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Ok kids - play nice - I'm out of here. I know that will make a select few very happy.

You see - I have a couple of friends stopping over for a visit and they will have their kids with them. Maybe they'll even bring their dogs! :p See that - I don't even have to leave the house - and my dogs will get to socialize.

Nitey-nite now. :D

Husky_mom
01-05-2010, 06:53 PM
ok.. where to start... lol

if dogs are allowed.. then Iīd feel free to make mine (but wouldnīt as I know how they behave, good but not store perfect).. the thing is there are sooo many irresposible owners/parents.. just as the ones described.. turning to the other side when their pooch poops or something.. and maybe thatīs why not many places accept dogs.. and they are in their right to so do..

but I think if you have a well trained dog that wonīt harrass customers/kids, if you are responsible for his/her actions poop/eat/etc.. and itīs allowed by the store you should be able to... but, the "law" or rules should be reinforced.. you break it, you pay it.. YOU are responsible of what your kid/dog does.. and some kind of fine in case you didnīt..

also whatīs up with slipping and suing.. just get up, dust off and walk away :rolleyes:.. come on.. this is something i just donīt get..

as for bringing posts of the back and letting go.. i think this is a different topic just mentioned in another thread.. so to me is fair game..IMO..

and I didnīt saw the other as going into flames... threads donīt burst up by themselves.. itīs WE who light them up.. a thread might be about a confrontional subject.. donīt take the step forward and light it up..

and yes.. we should be able to debate.. as long as itīs politely.. not callling names or anything.. debates may get heated.. but they can be controlled.. at least i think we can control ourselves

and about the going somewhere else to debate?.. what is it with that?.. canīt we do it here?..I know this is a Pet forum... but pet relates issues are being discussed.. so why go somewhere else... if anyone doesnīt likes to debate.. then donīt and let the ones that do.. do so.. if i want to see pics I will.. if i want to debate I will.. if i want to post about something I will.. if i couldnīt then why be here at all?.. we can be nice to each other even when things get heated.. at least i know I can

Candy317
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok kids - play nice - I'm out of here. I know that will make a select few very happy.

You see - I have a couple of friends stopping over for a visit and they will have their kids with them. Maybe they'll even bring their dogs! :p See that - I don't even have to leave the house - and my dogs will get to socialize.

Nitey-nite now. :D

I've been nothing BUT polite and I have never once used mr.:rolleyes:

I don't get the whole 'it'll make people happy if you leave' where did you get that vibe off from?...seems very attention-seeking if you ask me.

And yes you can socialize in the home, I suppose....but I rather my dogs get new scents, meet new dog friends, ect.

Aidan
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
exactly, theres a huge difference in socializing a dog at home around other people and dogs, and having him out in public well behaved around new people and dogs.

Alysser
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Personally, I think dogs should be allowed in pet stores(which they are), outdoor cafes/restuarant, and maybe outdoor shopping centers - but really I don't see a need for a dog in a store. Especially a food or clothing store..I mean I just don't see the point in it. I see people walk around the mall with small dogs in purses and sometimes even strollers and I just find that stupid personally. I am not a person who would tote my little dog around, and I know nobody who would - I can't see how it can possibly be comfortable for the dog. :eek:

Dogs are welcomed many places, and the places they may not be welcome - well there are reasons and rules that need to be followed. Yes, it sucks that some people ruin it for the enjoyment of all, but that's the way it is. It happens with EVERYTHING in life. Being the owner of a medium sized dog, I also hate when people sneak smaller animals into places because of their size or because they are in a purse or something. Sure, it's cute, but really - if one dog isn't allowed neither should any. I've never thought this was fair, so even when I had Sassy, I never brought her anywhere either.

Also, to me, comparing kids and dogs is like comparing apples to oranges. There are rules that need to be followed for public safety and enjoyment and unforutnately sometimes you should just leave your pup home.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm by no mean agreeing or disagreeing because the fact is, dogs aren't allowed anywhere but petstores here, but I WOULD ENJOY IT if they were. Lol Something that just popped into my head while reading this though...

- You say there are lots of peepee smells in the pet stores because dogs frequent there. But won't that just happen to all the stores if they all allowed dogs in them?
- Pet stores stink... I wouldn't want my store smelling like that...
-I want to move to South Florida and bring my dog everywhere!!! LoL!!!

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
exactly, theres a huge difference in socializing a dog at home around other people and dogs, and having him out in public well behaved around new people and dogs.

Yup. I love the fact of dog parks, because I have a dog who is GREAT with the dogs in my home, but could be a little skittish with strange dogs, so I take her to dog parks and she's getting better at not being skittish around other dogs.

Princess my dachshund also had a fear of men, especially black men, from I guess either being abused by them or not so familiar with them, and from socalization outside the home, she no longer has a fear of them.

Its just me, my mom, and two younger brothers. I don't often have visitors over, so socialization outside the home is key for my dogs. They might be friendly with each other and my family, but that might not always be the case with strange people/dogs.

Aidan
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
This is all kind of retarded cause no one is arguing that its right to take a dog where one doesn't belong, if the store is pet friendly like some non pet stores are, then thats wonderful.

I think its just not right to see people arguing about being able to fully socialize their pets at home and thats good enough. It may be for you, but not everyone. Some of us would like our pets to be able to be out walking the town, even if its not in stores, that takes more socialization for a dog to be completely comfortable in any setting.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm by no mean agreeing or disagreeing because the fact is, dogs aren't allowed anywhere but petstores here, but I WOULD ENJOY IT if they were. Lol Something that just popped into my head while reading this though...

- You say there are lots of peepee smells in the pet stores because dogs frequent there. But won't that just happen to all the stores if they all allowed dogs in them?
- Pet stores stink... I wouldn't want my store smelling like that...
-I want to move to South Florida and bring my dog everywhere!!! LoL!!!

Well people bring their dogs to stores, but its not a daily thing nor is it like every customer has a dog in the store. Its no doggy meetup by any means, jsut once in a blue moon sort of thing. But you might see people dining with their pooches at times though. You might encounter one person shopping with their dogs, say once every two weeks. I've seen two dogs in the store I work for and so far no accidents. Oh except one day the mall had a day for the dogs to take a picture with Santa, so there were tons of dogs in the mall. They had doggy bags just incase any accidents.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
This is all kind of retarded cause no one is arguing that its right to take a dog where one doesn't belong, if the store is pet friendly like some non pet stores are, then thats wonderful.

I think its just not right to see people arguing about being able to fully socialize their pets at home and thats good enough. It may be for you, but not everyone. Some of us would like our pets to be able to be out walking the town, even if its not in stores, that takes more socialization for a dog to be completely comfortable in any setting.

Good post!!! :D

GiantSchnauzer
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
There are many ways outside the home to socialize and exercise a dog. You need to expand your horizon if the mall is your only outlet for that.:) My two get plenty of exercise and socialization even here in the cold, snowy, New England states.

Is this mall you speak of outdoors? Those are very few and far between here. The two that I know of often have people walking their dogs outside the stores, sitting on benches, etc.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Personally, I think dogs should be allowed in pet stores(which they are), outdoor cafes/restuarant, and maybe outdoor shopping centers - but really I don't see a need for a dog in a store. Especially a food or clothing store..I mean I just don't see the point in it. I see people walk around the mall with small dogs in purses and sometimes even strollers and I just find that stupid personally. I am not a person who would tote my little dog around, and I know nobody who would - I can't see how it can possibly be comfortable for the dog. :eek:

Dogs are welcomed many places, and the places they may not be welcome - well there are reasons and rules that need to be followed. Yes, it sucks that some people ruin it for the enjoyment of all, but that's the way it is. It happens with EVERYTHING in life. Being the owner of a medium sized dog, I also hate when people sneak smaller animals into places because of their size or because they are in a purse or something. Sure, it's cute, but really - if one dog isn't allowed neither should any. I've never thought this was fair, so even when I had Sassy, I never brought her anywhere either.

Also, to me, comparing kids and dogs is like comparing apples to oranges. There are rules that need to be followed for public safety and enjoyment and unforutnately sometimes you should just leave your pup home.

Just FYI, I don't bring/sneak my little dogs near supermakets or places with food, unless its an outdoor place nor do I carry them in purses/tote bags/strollers. Though I do see the reason why for some dogs, because they might be seniors who have problems walking or whatever the case is.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
There are many ways outside the home to socialize and exercise a dog. You need to expand your horizon if the mall is your only outlet for that.:) My two get plenty of exercise and socialization even here in the cold, snowy, New England states.

Is this mall you speak of outdoors? Those are very few and far between here. The two that I know of often have people walking their dogs outside the stores, sitting on benches, etc.

No its not my only outlet, its not like its the ONLY place I take them too. They also go to waterparks, dog parks, dog beaches, ect...

Actually I have a small dog/dachshund meet up to the dog park on Sunday hopefully and a dachshund winterfest meetup in South Beach on the 23rd, where hundreds of dachshunds will invade the beach!! LOL.

Alysser
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Just FYI, I don't bring/sneak my little dogs near supermakets or places with food, unless its an outdoor place nor do I carry them in purses/tote bags/strollers. Though I do see the reason why for some dogs, because they might be seniors who have problems walking or whatever the case is.

I'm aware of that, I do not recall singling anyone out.

GiantSchnauzer
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
No its not my only outlet, its not like its the ONLY place I take them too. They also go to waterparks, dog parks, dog beaches, ect...

Actually I have a dog meet up for the dog park on Sunday hopefully and a dachshund winterfest meetup in South Beach on the 23rd, where hundreds of dachshunds will invade the beach!! LOL.

The one thing I wish we had more of...Dog beaches!

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The one thing I wish we had more of...Dog beaches!

So you don't have a problem with humans and dogs mingling in the same waters/sand? :eek: :p

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm aware of that, I do not recall singling anyone out.

Just speaking out for little dog owners :D

Alysser
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Just speaking out for little dog owners :D

Okay, well I promise you I myself am a fan of little dogs. I put down my beautiful maltese, Sassy in June 2008 because of arthritis. I know the BS small dog owners sometimes go through such as "oh so you carry your dog in a purse" and the like. I just don't think it's right for people to sneak a smaller dog into a store because of the simple fact that they can hide them easily. I also don't like the fact that some places allow just small dogs and not bigger ones, now being the owner of a Pug/Beagle mix who is pretty big, I don't see it fair that because my dog is bigger he isn't allowed somewhere just because of his size. Granted, he's not very well behaved but we are working with him and just signed up for Basic Obedience courses. :D But I know many well behaved bigger dogs, and I just sort of see it as a bit unfair.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Princess says she likes her dog-friendly state the way it is, kthanxbai.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/98/l_325a1f6ca3614c73b86b4cdb52e053e3.jpg

But she wishes Dade would let her bully friends in on the fun too!!

*her pit bull impersonation, see her muscles? She says she has RE bloodline!* :p

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/62/l_57c2ede326a94c5ab83b2d9ee58b299b.jpg

cassiesmom
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I have 2 thoughts on this.

One, sometimes we have a dog in church because there is a family who is working with a puppy before she goes to helper dog training. She has to be introduced to a variety of situations she may encounter with the person she will eventually be helping, and that includes church. Some people initially got angry when they saw the dog in church, even though she was wearing her training jacket. There was an article in the newsletter, though (written from the dog's point of view) explaining that the family working with the puppy agrees to take the puppy as many places as they can, and that includes church, so please be patient and understanding, and consider the person the puppy may eventually help. There are still a few people who think the puppy ought not to be in church, but I'd say 97% of the people understand why she is there, agree with the decision to bring her, and use her as a teachable moment with children (See the dog wearing the special jacket? Guess what she is learning to do?). Everyone always wants to pet her, so the family teaches about that too - ask first and then you may pet her briefly. She's totally adorable. Once we had a brass ensemble in church, and when they were done playing, she barked! that is the only time she has ever barked in church. The whole congregation laughed and the director said, "Puppy solo!" It was soooooo cute.

The other is this - in Chicago there are some restaurants that have outdoor seating that you can use whether you have a dog with you or not. That way, if you are out with your dog (e.g., at Wiggly Field or walking along the lakefront), you don't have to take her home before you go out to eat. I went to one with some friends and we sat on the patio even though we didn't have a dog with us. It was fun! We struck up conversations with people about their dogs, and learned a lot. Also got lovely doggie kisses afterward :) The dog people were so friendly that day!

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Aww!!! How cute!!! DOGGY SOLO! :) I love it.

Genny
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't see anothing wrong w/ taking your dog into a store as long as it's ok w/ the owners/management of the store. I'd think it would be pretty gross if someone carried their dog inside a grocery store or any kind of store w/ food in it for that matter, cause then there would be dog hair all over the place...but someone mentioned carrying their dog inside Lowe's and I don't really see nothing wrong w/ that as long as the people working there are cool w/ it. I've seen people in Lowe's before w/ dogs. They were small dogs...but anyways.. Me, personally, don't ever take my dog in stores. Angel really gets nervous around people and doesn't like it much, so I normally leave her at home unless I'm just running to the gas station or something where I can leave her in the car. The only store I've carried her in is Petco...and she barked her little head off the whole time!! lol...

Twisterdog
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM

I agree.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree.

Me too.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
But she wishes Dade would let her bully friends in on the fun too!!

*her pit bull impersonation, see her muscles? She says she has RE bloodline!* :p

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/62/l_57c2ede326a94c5ab83b2d9ee58b299b.jpg

Candy, she would be a fine addition to my breeding program! lmfao

Candy317
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Candy, she would be a fine addition to my breeding program! lmfao

LOL long bullies! I love it! :D

redog
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I checked with my local home depot when I saw a lady with a macaw on her shopping cart handle. they said there is no policy against bringing animals in and they welcome them all, including pitbulls. Champ goes to work with me everyday but he'd rather sleep in the truck than come in the store with me anyways. But a pet freindly store is more likely to draw pet freindly customers.

Candy317
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I checked with my local home depot when I saw a lady with a macaw on her shopping cart handle. they said there is no policy against bringing animals in and they welcome them all, including pitbulls. Champ goes to work with me everyday but he'd rather sleep in the truck than come in the store with me anyways. But a pet freindly store is more likely to draw pet freindly customers.

Yup Yup! :love:

anna_66
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I think if dogs are welcomed into the store then it's ok to bring them in (and yes, you should pick up after your dog)

Our Home Depot also welcomes dogs. We had to stop by there once while we were out and just happened to have Roxey with us. I was going to wait outside the store and one of the managers came out and personally invited us in:)

Asiel
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=pomtzu;2224021]I'm not going to go into depth on this and create a hassle, but unless it's a service dog, it doesn't belong in a store other than a pet/pet supply store. The size of the dog doesn't matter.

I agree with all of you.