PDA

View Full Version : I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

Marty
01-01-2010, 08:51 PM
My dogs have shelter, fresh water, food and shade... and don't forget love daily so whats the big problem?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/AKAanddaddy.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/DSCN1447.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/finaleBest.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/4inone2.jpg

My dogs are not neglected in any way... they don't live in the mud and are very much loved every day, dogs have lived on a chain for 100's of years with no problem till the AR "animals rights nuts " got involved LOL

Marty
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Few more pics...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/amanhisdog2jpg.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Reddy/01-11-07-071.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Reddy/01-11-07-067.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Reddy/01-11-07-066.jpg

I hope your not gonning to respond with negativity because it won't happen ;)

luvofallhorses
01-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Well I don't like it, but I know you take AWESOME care of your APBTs and do everything for them and still they are a part of your family, Marty. :D What I don't like is people who get a dog, throw it in the back-yard and chain the dog with no proper shelter, food, or water and no attention what-so-ever. :mad: AND I know that's not you! :) Your pups are beautiful BTW - I LOVE Lil' Bit.. she has always been a favorite of mine. :D

Marty
01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I know neglect goes on... but not on my watch!

I have to much money/time invested in my dogs, hell there my kids I never had :eek:

Karen
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
As in most things, there's a good way and a wrong way. I have always felt sad for dogs that were stuck on chains, unloved and neglected. Yours are obviously neither, and look happy and healthy! We would let our dog out on a chain in the yard, and the chain always reached the door, so they could come in when they wanted. We only ever had one at a time, though, so dog on dog aggression was never an issue.

Freedom
01-02-2010, 08:17 AM
I had to laugh at that first picture. While you are hugging and playing with one dog (sorry I don't know their names by sight yet), there is another one in the back just sitting waiting patiently for you to get to him / her.

SITTING WAITING PATIENTLY? Goodness, I just LOOK at one of mine and the rest are up and rushing to me, ha haaa. Patience is not in their vocabulary, here.

trayi52
01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't like it much, but it is much better than putting them in a cage with no room. It looks like you are taking care of your dog, and giving it lots of love.

By the way, your dog is very beautiful, thanks for posting your very nice pictures of you, and your dog.

Willie:)

Alysser
01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I will admit, I won't ever be 100% happy about a dog being chained outside. Never have and never will, it's just the way I am I suppose. But I absolutely CANNOT stand owners who get a dog, throw it on a chain, and leave it to rot in the yard with no food, water, shelter, socialization, training, or love. I can see you are far from that owner though, your babies are absolutely gorgeous and I can tell you love them with all your heart. :love: While I will never approve of the chain, I accept your choice and know you will continue to care for your cuties and that you truely love them. The first picture is so cute.

kokopup
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
While I would never chain my dog, I can understand your need to chain your dogs. I had a neighor with an APBT that they kept in a 8 foot high fence. The dog learned to climb the fence and roam the neighborhood. This went on until one day it climbed his fence and then another neighbors fence and killed 2 of his goats. After this another neighbor bought the house, which was a rental, just to ensure our neighborhood was safe. He renovated the house and my son ended up buying it. This dog was loved by an 8 and 10 year old and was the the picture of the perfect pet, at least on the surface. It had attacked me on 2 occasions and if it were not for my Koko I would have been hurt on the last attack. IMO APBT can not be trusted unrestrained no matter how much they are socialized. They were bred as rat killers and the killer instinct will surface if allowed to roam especially in a pack. IMO you created this thread just to get another confrontational discussion on the poor misunderstood APBT.

sasvermont
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Just another confrontation thread. The end.

Karen
01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
No, I don't think he's trying to create controversy, and this being Pet Talk, we can do our best to have a thoughtful, discussion, and if we disagree, do it with respect.

Think of chained dogs reminds me of my beloved uncle's much treasured Border Collie, Molly. I have spoken of her on Pet Talk many times in the past. Molly was a working dog, every ounce a Border Collie. She worked the farm with Mac, herded anything she could, and was, as I said, much loved. However, whenever Mac was going to be gone for a while and he couldn't take Molly, she'd be on a chain in the yard. As a kid, of course, I asked why!

Turns out her herding instincts overruled everything. If they left her in the house by herself, she'd destroy a door (dig at the wood until it gave way, hurting her paws in the process) or window to get out and either look for them, or herd anything that moved. That included cars, which was of course, dangerous to both Molly and any drivers. So she had a chain outside the kitchen door, and would run in circles trying to herd something - airplanes passing overhead? and wore a circle into the dirt.

But by being chained when Mac wasn't home, she was kept safe, and lived to a ripe old age.

MonicanHonda
01-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I don't agree with chaining. The only instances I've ever had with chained dogs is that they became territorial and aggressive. One neighbor kept their german shepherd chained to the inside of the garage, but could reach the grass to potty, and it had shelter food and water in the garage. He was very territorial and would only become friendly once he was used to you. He ended up biting the mail man and needing to be put to sleep or they would be sued.

My husband's old neighbor keeps their dog on a chain. I feel so bad for this thing... they do not care for him at all. He walks in his own feces which they never pick up. Well, the dog never used to be aggressive, but one day I was walking up their shared driveway (The dog used to be able to get somewhat in the driveway), and there was a car in the way. I went around it and the dog lunged and snapped at me. He caught my jeans with his tooth and left me a nice red mark with some ripped jeans. I was severely p*ssed off. Haha But now, the poor dog lunges and barks at everything that moves. And, something happened to the poor dog, and his little tail is missing the end now. They're horrible owners, and not so nice people. :-/

It does seem that your dogs are happy and healthy. They definitely look like they love you so you're doin' something right. :)

Indigo Bully Connection
01-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I really don't have a problem with tethering your dog. I know you love the bajesus out of your dogs marty and they never go without your love and attention. I think as an owner you need to be watchful for any anxiety issues that may occur. Some dogs live happy lives being tethered, and some just cannot cope with it. Just like some dogs aren't good for crates or kennels. You just have to know what will work for you and your animal. Ultimately, your animal will live however/wherever you chose for it to, but as a responsible owner we need to find out the propper confinement for our individual dogs.

EDIT: BTW, everyone I know those look like huge chains, but they are not, Marty uses the lightest weight chain possible. He is well aware of the damage that can be caused by impropper tethering.

pomtzu
01-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Just another confrontation thread. The end.

I agree 100%. Check out his first thread in Introductions. :eek:

Asiel
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I never chained my children outside in the yard and since I consider my dogs family I don't chain them outside either.....

Taz_Zoee
01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Growing up we had our dogs chained outside. When my sister was old enough to get "her own" dogs we got kennels. The dogs that were chained were not aggressive at all. They got multiple daily walks out in the grove, off leash.
The dogs my mom has now never really go in the kennels. Pepsi will stay in the back yard, and Little Bit stays in the house in a crate if my parents are gone (which is hardly ever since they are retired). But my dogs and my brothers dogs do go in the kennels when someone is not home with them. Which, again, is not often since my brother works from home.

KYS
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
My dogs have always been soley house pets.
(this has nothing to do with how much you love or how well cared your dogs are.)
I understand for safety, when you show and breed certain breeds, they are usually kept separated by kennel/runs and let out in a separate area for exercise.

Just not my cup of tea.

Queen of Poop
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
To me, it looks like you're being a responsible pet owner. Particularly for the breed you've chosen to love. They look happy and healthy. I am particularly moved by the photo of you and the sweet dogger putting her/his head under your chin. That's just sweet. Clearly there is alot of love there.

I've used a tie out before for my RB dogs. When they had to stay in the yard and the yard could not be fenced. There is a photo of them below in my signature.

lizbud
01-02-2010, 04:48 PM
In my city it's against the law to chain a dog 24/7. Doing so means
a fine and,or jail. I want my dogs around me. I enjoy their company.:)

blue
01-03-2010, 01:50 AM
When done properly, like Marty and others have done, chaining is a viable option for caring for a large number of dogs where special care needs to be taken. The Valley has alot of mushers and the state has even more, the most economical and safest way to care for a large number of sled dogs is chaining/tethering.

luvofallhorses
01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new. :rolleyes: His intentions weren't to create controversy. He just asked opinions. Like I said, I don't agree with chaning, but your dogs obviously aren't neglected, they are well taken care of. :)

animal_rescue
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
My neighbor has a pit bull they keep chained 24/7. He has food, water, and sometimes shelter... but his doghouse is broken they are contently putting it together and he retakes it apart. But other than that he is just there to bark and it absolutely kills me. He is such a sweet boy, well he doesn't like strangers, but I've been going over there forever giving him treats, toys, and lovings. He's such a big baby whenever I go over there. He just loooooooves when I play tug or "fetch"(not really fetch when he's on a chain) with him. He also is really good with my dogs since they have gone over there to visit him before too he immediately starts play bowing and wanting to run around with them. We've asked them if we could have him but they said no, it's sad because when I asked they had some friends over who were agreeing with me that I should have him since they don't do anything with him but they still said no. However I'm still allowed to come play and give him attention whenever I like so I do. Often times when I buy my dogs rawhides and pig ears I include him in that too.

stace1319
01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I think that chaining your dog (if done properly) is just fine. They look well cared for and loved. Like others have said, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and you have obviously chosen a the right way. It is against the law here now for anyone to chain their dogs outside. I like to have my dogs inside with me, but as many problems that can occure, I can also understand why people have their dogs outside. I too have had dogs outside and never had a problem.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-03-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new. :rolleyes:
No one is picking on him. They are only saying they do not agree with it. There was no bashing involved.

Genny
01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't like to see dogs chained either, but your dogs look really happy in the pictures-and they look healthy so I don't see anything wrong w/ it as long as they are loved and taken care of.

We have a lab/golden mix. We have a large fence we keep him in, but he digs holes and can get nder the fence. We even have an electric wire going all the way around, but he takes the shock and still gets under. So just recently we've been having to keep him chained :( which I hate doing. When he's out one of our neighbors calls and complains about him coming over there and getting in her yard/garden. Plus he chases our cats really bad-when he's out they are up a tree or something just about the whole time. He won't hurt them, but they don't know that!

We've been thinking about finding him a home. We love him to death-he's a sweet boy and so lovable...but we can't keep him chained all the time and he won't stay in the fence-and when he's out it only causes problems w/ our neighbors ;/

But don't think he doesn't get any love or attention...actually right now he's out on the front porch. He got off the chain which happens a lot!

Twisterdog
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new. :rolleyes: His intentions weren't to create controversy. He just asked opinions. Like I said, I don't agree with chaning, but your dogs obviously aren't neglected, they are well taken care of. :)

Planned controversy thread, step two. Quite transparent. :rolleyes:

No one is "picking on" anyone. We are answering a question that we were asked. And where did this "PT hates pit bulls" thing come from all of a sudden? Seriously? This site is one of the most friendly, calm, kind sites on the internet, IMO. I have never seen anyone breed-bash on this site, and I've been on here for almost a decade. This is a really silly bit of drama lately, and this site doesn't deserve it.

However, for the sake of the OP's question, I'll ignore the obvious set-up and give my opinion.

I HATE to see a dog chained up. Obviously, some situations are worse than others, and no one is implying that every chained dog is neglected and unloved. However, I think chaining a dog is a terrible thing to do. We do not chain other animals - no one chains their horse to a fence for fifteen years, or their cat to a tree. Why do dogs have to suffer this unique fate? Because they are compliant and want to please? How sad.

I have no problem with an indoor dog who is put on a tie-out to do potty business, none at all. I have a problem with dogs who live outside on a chain all the time. Even if they have a nice doghouse and a long chain, I still hate it. I could chain my kids to their comfy bed on a chain long enough for them to reach their desk and the toilet ... would that make it right?

My children fight with each other sometimes. They also make have messy rooms and bad table manner once in a while. Never once did it occur to me to chain them to their beds.

My sister has eight Siberian huskies of her own, and always numerous foster and rescue Siberians. Anyone who has owned Sibes or knows much about them knows that they can be extreme escape artists. However, my sister took the time and made the effort to make sure all her dogs were in secure, escape-proof yards, and the ones that need to be separated are. She didn't just throw up her hands and chain them up.

I own a twenty-five kennel boarding kennel. I made escape-proof runs. I have nine dogs of my own. My RB Jindo could climb trees and get on roofs. My IG's can get in, on or through just about anything, I swear. I always have a least one or two rescue dogs. I did what I had to do with fences, concrete, etc. to provide a secure yard system for them. No dog of mine has EVER been chained up. I just don't buy the excuses a lot of people give for chaining.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM

No one is "picking on" anyone. We are answering a question that we were asked. And where did this "PT hates pit bulls" thing come from all of a sudden? Seriously? This site is one of the most friendly, calm, kind sites on the internet, IMO. I have never seen anyone breed-bash on this site, and I've been on here for almost a decade. This is a really silly bit of drama lately, and this site doesn't deserve it.

You said it my friend....... *claps hands*

blue
01-04-2010, 12:23 AM

:rolleyes: Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread.

I agree this thread should be and been left to the OT, chaining. Not....

IMO APBT can not be trusted unrestrained no matter how much they are socialized.

However, for the sake of the OP's question, I'll ignore the obvious set-up and give my opinion.

I HATE to see a dog chained up. Obviously, some situations are worse than others, and no one is implying that every chained dog is neglected and unloved. However, I think chaining a dog is a terrible thing to do. We do not chain other animals - no one chains their horse to a fence for fifteen years, or their cat to a tree. Why do dogs have to suffer this unique fate? Because they are compliant and want to please? How sad.

So your opinion on chaining is at least partially based on your emotional response to seeing a dog chained regardless of the circumstances or how well the dogs are cared for. Fair enough, cant blame you for that.

Ive seen horses confined to stalls for most of their lives, only being let out when their owners wish to work them. Cats being confined to a single room only getting interaction when their owner wishes it. Not the same as being chained to a tree but close.

My sister has eight Siberian huskies of her own, and always numerous foster and rescue Siberians. Anyone who has owned Sibes or knows much about them knows that they can be extreme escape artists. However, my sister took the time and made the effort to make sure all her dogs were in secure, escape-proof yards, and the ones that need to be separated are. She didn't just throw up her hands and chain them up.

I own a twenty-five kennel boarding kennel. I made escape-proof runs. I have nine dogs of my own. My RB Jindo could climb trees and get on roofs. My IG's can get in, on or through just about anything, I swear. I always have a least one or two rescue dogs. I did what I had to do with fences, concrete, etc. to provide a secure yard system for them. No dog of mine has EVER been chained up. I just don't buy the excuses a lot of people give for chaining.

Professional mushers may have a hundred dogs or more, not 8, + fosters or a 25 dog boarding kennel that I can only assume is a for profit business (Im sure you will correct me if my assumption is incorrect, and if I am I apologise).

As long as the mushers dogs are healthy and well socialized, chaining is an economical solution where concrete, fencing, and escape proofing would be cost preventative.

My main problem with chaining is that the dogs arent protected from predators or other wild animals. Over the last few years wolves have been preying on dog yards because there isnt enough wild prey for them to subsist on. Moose getting into dog yards can also do alot of damage to the dogs.

IRescue452
01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd rather see them kenneled. Those heavy chains take their toll over the years.

Obviously they are in good physical shape, but what do they have to bond with when isolated 23 hours a day? Its primitive to think animals have no feelings and emotions, just as we used to think animals couldn't see color until recently when we figured out they have rods and cones in their eyes.

Another thought, what if you get in a car crash and die? Who's going to want to adopt an un-houstrained dog? How will 20 dogs not housetrained find homes? You should definately work on house manners with them even if its one at a time. They should also experience things like hard floors and stairs and such. You can't predict your future.

pomtzu
01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd rather see them kenneled. Those heavy chains take their toll over the years.

Obviously they are in good physical shape, but what do they have to bond with when isolated 23 hours a day? Its primitive to think animals have no feelings and emotions, just as we used to think animals couldn't see color until recently when we figured out they have rods and cones in their eyes.

Another thought, what if you get in a car crash and die? Who's going to want to adopt an un-houstrained dog? How will 20 dogs not housetrained find homes? You should definately work on house manners with them even if its one at a time. They should also experience things like hard floors and stairs and such. You can't predict your future.

Excellent point. I imagine that's something a lot of people would never think of. Of course - that's JMO!

Asiel
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
:rolleyes: Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread.

Professional mushers may have a hundred dogs or more, not 8, + fosters or a 25 dog boarding kennel that I can only assume is a for profit business (Im sure you will correct me if my assumption is incorrect, and if I am I apologise).

Musher country out here and none have 100 dogs or more. At the most SOME have 12-15 in case some should be unable to race. None of their dogs are ever chained. They have kennels with well insulated dog houses but never spend 24/7 alone outdoors. They are kept in the house 4-5 at a time so each have their turn and can socialize with the owners. they all eat raw so all are fed outside but that's it. Even properly chained dogs run into accidents if that chain happens to get twisted up and a leg caught in it while the dogs are playing , Not a pretty sight. Any dog will look exuberantly happy if chained outdoors 24/7 and the owner comes out to give them attention. What about the rest of the time, what do they have to keep them mentally stimulated or feel part of a family and loved? JMO also.

Husky_mom
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I have nothing against chained dogs.. WHEN done properly.. and you seem to have done so

having several dogs in kennels is not always good.. especially if they canīt tolerate each other.. or have dog agression.. in my own case.. I donīt have them chained but my husky girls have to be separated 24/7 or itsīblood shed.. literally.. one of them is in a small space, due to my house availability to separate areas.. (they get switched every now and then but still)..

what if i crash and die?.. most likely.. it would take a while for my dogs to adjust to another person.. Ninja is good with kids but you have to be wary as she tends to get overexcited... China would be so freaked out it would take years for her to come out of her shell... just as any other dog.. work would do wonders.. and no, they are not housetrained.. they live outside.. they have food, water, shelter and lotsa love.. when i lived at my parents I wasnīt allowed to get them inside.. and when i moved they would just not do it for their life.. they freak and want out and fast...

if i didnīt had a fenced yard.. nor an option to separate.. I would either not have a dog.. or have it tethered/chained for itīs safety.. sometimes thatīs the option you have.. but you have to do it in the RIGHT way

oh... and if you seek for something youīll find.. I never saw this as a I-want-controversy thread.. if anyone does.. then donīt start it.. IMHO

Twisterdog
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
:rolleyes: Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread..

I didn't quote Marty as starting the controversy, did I? Check my post again.

Ive seen horses confined to stalls for most of their lives, only being let out when their owners wish to work them. Cats being confined to a single room only getting interaction when their owner wishes it. Not the same as being chained to a tree but close...

And that's not right, either. One wrong does not justify another.

As long as the mushers dogs are healthy and well socialized, chaining is an economical solution where concrete, fencing, and escape proofing would be cost preventative.

My main problem with chaining is that the dogs arent protected from predators or other wild animals. Over the last few years wolves have been preying on dog yards because there isnt enough wild prey for them to subsist on. Moose getting into dog yards can also do alot of damage to the dogs...

I don't live around professional mushers, so I obviously am not an expert on the topic. The person we really need to ask is Glacier. But a hundred dogs? Really? Is that common? Sorry, but I do NOT consider someone who owns a hundred staked-out dogs a good example of why chaining up dog is ok. How can a hundred dogs ever be "well-socialized" when they are chained up alone? Why would anyone ever need to own a hundred dogs to run a sled team? Again, not claiming to be an expert on sled dogs, but that sounds like a terrible situation to me.

redog
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd rather see them kenneled

would you beleive he has already made plans in case something would happen to him? these are show dogs, not chained messes. and deffinately the best representative of the breed. therefore extra care is taken on a daily basis to ensure the best care and attention. ,ive seen many yards and folks who thought they were keeping there dogs safe in kennels have gone to the chain set up you see here in this post. I would for sure rather see his dogs in the house on the couch but these are not that kind of dogs.

and for the negative stuff
I never once saw this thread as anything other than wanting opinions. this is a great forum and i dont understand the animosity tossed around here. someone always has to mention "pt hates pitbulls" or "rabid pitbull people" . just stick to the op or dont respond. OPPINNIONS ON CHAINING not theres one of those threads that i can be an ass on.

luvofallhorses
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I didn't say people hated 'pit bulls'. I LOVE them not everyone loves the same things. Maybe that's why I get so defensive? So I am sorry about that my love for them will never change and I will never not speak up for them and responsible owners like the OP.

It's not the whole forum that hates them just some people don't care for them and they make that clear in their posts. :( As for starting controversy, I wasn't!! I have been here for years and you should know by now I am not one to start it and the OP certainly wasn't either. Some things never change. :( Back to the original topic.

redog
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I didn't say people hated 'pit bulls'. I LOVE them not everyone loves the same things. Maybe that's why I get so defensive? So I am sorry about that my love for them will never change and I will never not speak up for them and responsible owners like the OP.

It's not the whole forum that hates them just some people don't care for them and they make that clear in their posts. :rolleyes: As for starting controversy, I wasn't!! I have been here for years and you should know by now I am not one to start it and the OP certainly wasn't either. Some things never change. :(

he he i actually was talking in general. I actully love your encouragement and well thought posts. just that most times i stop by something always catches my eye and is in need of a kick in the a**

Grace
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
. just that most times i stop by something always catches my eye and is in need of a kick in the a**

I’m guessing you didn’t read Karen’s earlier post?

No, I don't think he's trying to create controversy, and this being Pet Talk, we can do our best to have a thoughtful, discussion, and if we disagree, do it with respect.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
My dogs are in their room for most of the day. I cannot have four dogs roaming around the house with doors being open, they can bolt out and no one notice. Though sometimes I do let them free-roam and I do spend time with them, not to mention walk them daily. I cannot chain them outside however....Florida heat, thief, posion, ect...comes to mind. Plus they like the outdoors, but they don't like being outdoors for too long. Me personally I can't have a chain dog, but I don't shun those who choose to.

Alysser
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
This is a controversial subject, therefore, there is bound to be controversy. I, personally, don't believe the initial post was created to cause controversy, but I can understand why some people chose to view it as that. I agree with Twisterdog, whole-heartedly, on the chaining issue and some of the issues brought up in posts about PT.

PT is what you make it, and I am aware I've said this before. New members are always welcomed here, but we also demand respecfulness - which is one of the main reasons I stay on PT. It is one of the few places I've seen where there is a steady stream of respect, and if there is a disagreement, it can be worked out rather easily and usually is in some way, shape, or form. When a member decides to "kick some a**" for example ( :rolleyes: ) I believe we are within our rights to get defensive. Opinions can be shared without getting fired up, and there are many threads around to prove that. It's not a problem, sharing your views respecfully, but I personally am tired of seeing some rude posts/remarks, pointing fingers, and excuses by newer members and older ones alike. I, myself, am not perfect and have said some things to others on here I am not proud of - and I am slowly growing out of my previous short temper. I hope other members will do the same.

Back to OT - We use a tie-out for Mikey when he goes potty, because he WILL run away and our yard is not totally escape proof. I am leary of it, and don't like it, but until the summer and until he gets to training classes (which we've already signed up for) it'll have to do. Regardless, I ALWAYS watch him or someone is always watching him while he is outside. I can never picture chaining a dog outside, it's just not something I can do.

anna_66
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Marty I'm very interested in you and your dogs way of life before I make my thoughts on chaining. Would you care to indulge me?

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

For starters, my initial response to seeing an APBT in Lowes where I live would be to look for the nice little blue or red bandanna around the pup's neck under the camo sweatshirt.

My second response would be to call the manager to get the dog and owner removed from store property. (Yes, I know, just the attention they wanted)

Not because the dog is an APBT, but because there's a high likelihood that the dog and owner aren't there for good purposes.......

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

Anytime someone starts talking in catch phrases like "breed of choice", it sends red flags up. My breed of choice is whatever mutt happens to catch my attention when I'm looking for a pup (right, Lady?). The phrase is itself is nothing more than a challenge. It's MY CHOICE, what right do YOU have to disagree with me.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

If the threads continue, my ignore list is going to go back into use.

Love the pics of the pups, hate the blatant trolling that's behind them.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
My second response would be to call the manager to get the dog and owner removed from store property. (Yes, I know, just the attention they wanted)

Not because the dog is an APBT, but because there's a high likelihood that the dog and owner aren't there for good purposes.......

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

:eek:

What is your problem? What the owner is in a gang or something because it had a bandana and is a pit bull?! LMAO. I live in a gang related neighborhood and they have whatever sort of dogs, from rotts to poodles. Really, that is sooo stereotypical. And honestly 'snitching' on a gang member, especially because of their dog (whom they probably won't even be in Lowes WITH their dog to begin with) is just ASKING for trouble.

Wait I dyed my dog blue, am I a crip?! :p

And 2nd its Lowes, doesn't even contain food...I dunno because I live in South Florida and it might be more dog friendly than most places, really its not that big deal for a person to be in Lowes with a dog, or atleast understand in most places its not 'out the norm'. What problems is a dog going to cause at Lowes to call the manager for? I don't know about you but I like to take my dogs as many places that allow them, ever thought that was the same for other people who take their dogs to Lowes and rather now leave them in the car or at the house?

What if the dog was a golden with a cameo jacket? What would be your first thoughts? Report the manager, or oh it must be a therapy dog of some sort?

And FYI pits need thick collars, becasue they have thick necks, not because they can't be contained. Just like its better to have a toy dog on a harness so they won't slip out of collar or choke on it on walks.

dixieland
01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

For starters, my initial response to seeing an APBT in Lowes where I live would be to look for the nice little blue or red bandanna around the pup's neck under the camo sweatshirt.

Anytime someone starts talking in catch phrases like "breed of choice", it sends red flags up. My breed of choice is whatever mutt happens to catch my attention when I'm looking for a pup (right, Lady?). The phrase is itself is nothing more than a challenge. It's MY CHOICE, what right do YOU have to disagree with me.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

WOW!I guess I can pack my bags and leave then,since I am one of the so called APBT owners that are here just to cause issues.
I don't think Marty started this thread to cause issues.He has asked opinions about this very same thing on several APBT websites.Why would he not want ya'lls opnions as well?
I did not join because of anything that has to do with Lowes thread.Why are you even bringing that up in this thread?What does that have to do with chaining dogs?I joined to talk about my pets whom I love with other people that love their pets too.Just because I also belong to gopitbull does not mean I came here to talk trash or start stuff.I belong to 3 other pet websites as well.
Why does someone saying they have a breed of choice send red flags?
Actually nevermind.It will just make it seem like I'm trying to "cause issues" in your eyes.

Marty no I don't chain my dogs or think I ever would.But I've never been in your situation before.So who can say what I would do if I were you.
Love your dogs!

Candy317
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM

I know Marty, he's far from confrontational...I dunno maybe if you actually sit back and listen, you might get educated on a few things and the breed.

You've never been in his shoes. You're probably one of those people that would call the ASPCA on him and get his dogs taken away from him, because you see that he has pits, keeps them chained, uses spring poles, ect....and everything the HSUS and whatnot has to say about pit bull fighters have and look like and so he MUST be fighting his dogs, and thus why he comes on here and shares to the public about WHY his dogs are kept the way they are.

This could be your neighbor and many many pit bull owners have to deal with this problem, just ONE call and their dogs taken away from them and be PTS. This is why education on dog/pet forums is KEY, so these dogs and owners don't have that fate.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Why does someone saying they have a breed of choice send red flags?

I own small dogs! Red flags, red flags, I must be Paris Hilton! :eek: Yes ankle-biting, yappy, purse dogs!

blue
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I didn't quote Marty as starting the controversy, did I? Check my post again.

I dont need to recheck your post, I rolled my eyes because you contributed to an imagined controversy.

And that's not right, either. One wrong does not justify another.

I didnt say it was right, nor did I try to justify chaining a dog to a tree. But wait, Marty isnt talking about chaining dogs to trees is he? Properly chaining a dog isnt inherently any more evil then keeping one kenneled its whole life.

I don't live around professional mushers, so I obviously am not an expert on the topic. The person we really need to ask is Glacier. But a hundred dogs? Really? Is that common? Sorry, but I do NOT consider someone who owns a hundred staked-out dogs a good example of why chaining up dog is ok. How can a hundred dogs ever be "well-socialized" when they are chained up alone? Why would anyone ever need to own a hundred dogs to run a sled team? Again, not claiming to be an expert on sled dogs, but that sounds like a terrible situation to me.

I live in the Home of the Iditarod, Ill try and get some pics from professional mushers dog yards in the area.

My understanding of the need for a large number of dogs is limited but here we go anyway...

Not every race is going to run the same team, shorter races will run dogs that sprint, longer races will run dogs that have endurance. Not every pup is going to be suited for racing, I dont know how many mushers have their own breeding program but I would bet about half do. As for socializing, I cant say but some of the larger mushers have volunteers and interns who help take care of the dogs upkeep and socializing. Some kennels also do mushing tours for tourists winter and summer, if a kennel does 4 or more tours in a day Ild assume they wouldnt run the same team for every tour day in, day out.

Since this thread is about chaining, I cant say that chaining a dog with water, food, proper shelter, and plenty of attention is any worse then a dog kenneled under the same conditions.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Wait no, no, no....ok had it be me and my obviously in a gang afflication, would you report my dogs in Lowes too? :D The horrors of me 'wanting attention' and my 'bad intentions' in a Lowes store with my dogs, hehe.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/248008400.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/248007954.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs193.snc3/20037_106498946031460_100000140658956_154740_26479 27_n.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/229795835.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/229795851.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/RazzleDazzleGlitter/39093a15.jpg

Even have matching motorcycle gang jackets...shame.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/262455006.jpg

The bad intentions......gang inititation!!
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/262455260.jpg

Lucky, the pup, failed however and was not welcomed in the gang.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/262455026.jpg

Candy317
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
The horrors, the carebear gang!! Everyone be afraid, be very afraid!
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs193.snc3/20037_106498949364793_100000140658956_154741_26521 96_n.jpg

Its ok Pepe will pray for us, lol.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/248007938.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL984/5031751/17548290/248007947.jpg

Sorry for the thread-hijack, couldn't resist...hope you enjoy the pics though! :p

Twisterdog
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I dont need to recheck your post, I rolled my eyes because you contributed to an imagined controversy.

Is it imagined? Or has it simply not come to a full-blown head yet? Hmmm ....

You are correct ... this thread is phrased in a civil manner. However, did all of you happen to catch the OP's introduction thread? You can read it here, (http://test.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157905) be sure to read it all.

Perhaps it's just me ... and we are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we ... but this introduction did not strike me as friendly. It struck me as defensive and inflamatory. Marty, my apologies if that's not the tone you intended to take ... but like you said, you are not a newbie. You know your way around message boards, right? Therefore I believe you knew exactly the tone you were taking.

I don't by any means agree with all of Lady's Human post, by I do agree with this, sadly:

Want to be welcomed?

So there are a few people on here that don't care for the APBT breed. So what? I'm sure there are people on here who think JRT's are obnoxious little yappers with ADHD. So what? I love my JRT; you don't have to, she's not your dog. I don't get angry about it. In general, the people on this board are open-minded, friendly and kind. That's a rarity on the web. And most of us on here are not newbies either, but we are nice to them. We may not own ABPT's, but we admire and like them. What's the problem? :confused:

blue
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
in my own case.. I donīt have them chained but my husky girls have to be separated 24/7 or itsīblood shed.. literally.

My understanding that is the case with husky b!tches.

Is it imagined? Or has it simply not come to a full-blown head yet? Hmmm ....

Yes it is. The controversy probably started at post #9 but more likely post #10.

You are correct ... this thread is phrased in a civil manner. However, did all of you happen to catch the OP's introduction thread? You can read it here, (http://test.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157905) be sure to read it all.

Ive read it a few times and for the life of me I cant figure out why you would object to it or find it offensive, nobody who posted there did.

Perhaps it's just me ... but we are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we ... but this introduction did not strike me as friendly. It struck me as defensive and inflamatory. Marty, my apologies if that's not the tone you intended to take ... but like you said, you are not a newbie. You know your way around message boards, right? Therefore I believe you knew exactly the tone you were taking.

Perhaps you should have posted that in his introduction thread. In this thread Marty wasnt confrontational, unlike some other posters.

I don't by any means agree with all of Lady's Human post, by I do agree with this, sadly:

Want to be welcomed?

So there are a few people on here that don't care for the APBT breed. So what? I'm sure there are people on here who think JRT's are obnoxious little yappers with ADHD. So what? I love my JRT; you don't have to, she's not your dog. I don't get angry about it. In general, the people on this board are open-minded, friendly and kind. That's a rarity on the web. And most of us on here are not newbies either, but we are nice to them. We may not own ABPT's, but we admire and like them. What's the problem? :confused:

So APBT owners are trolls?! Am I a troll because Verde is likely a APBT X? Granted she may be a Plott Hound X but that aint bloody likely.

MonicanHonda
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I am just throwing it in here that I did find this thread confrontational.

But, I did just answer the question that was asked and went along my merry way. :)

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 10:16 PM
You've never been in his shoes. You're probably one of those people that would call the ASPCA on him and get his dogs taken away from him, because you see that he has pits, keeps them chained, uses spring poles, ect....and everything the HSUS and whatnot has to say about pit bull fighters have and look like and so he MUST be fighting his dogs, and thus why he comes on here and shares to the public about WHY his dogs are kept the way they are.

Nice assumption.

I never mentioned the breed when talking about Lowes. Assumption #1.

The automatic assumption is that because I'm disagreeing with pitty owners, I hate pitties.

And you are all completely and utterly incorrect.

There are two breeds I dislike as breeds, they aren't, however, pit bulls.

As far as snitching on a gang member getting me in trouble, how in heck do you think gangs gain their power? Besides, how are they going to find me or do anything? While there are quite a few gang issues in the area I work in, the area I live in is another issue entirely.

If a dog is wearing service dog attire, I don't even really notice them. However, with the exception of service dogs, I don't believe dogs should be in stores other than pet stores. Were it a business I owner, it would have a big sign at the door stating that while service animals are welcome, pets are not. I love dogs, but they have their place, and in a store isn't it. Poodle, rottie, pit or chi, I don't care. If it's not a service animal, leave it at home or in the car.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
If a dog is wearing service dog attire, I don't even really notice them. However, with the exception of service dogs, I don't believe dogs should be in stores other than pet stores. Were it a business I owner, it would have a big sign at the door stating that while service animals are welcome, pets are not. I love dogs, but they have their place, and in a store isn't it. Poodle, rottie, pit or chi, I don't care. If it's not a service animal, leave it at home or in the car.

Well thats where you and I will just have to agree to disagree. As long as the dog is well contained, groomed, and well-behaved, I see no problems.

I've gotten my nails done or my hair done with a dog on my lap. They're are by no means therapy dogs, but by taking them with me to get my hair done, its very relaxing having them there and I'm more patient about being under the blow-dryer.

There's even a human waterpark that once a year has a doggy day where they open the park for dogs.

When I use to live in South Beach, its the most dog friendly place I've seen. Lincoln Road Mall is a big place to walk your dog and dogs are allowed in stores and most resturants (sp?) have doggy water dishes outside. Many of the store owners bring their dogs to work. I remember taking Princess with me to get my nails done and she got a doggy treat, her own chair, and they even had a water bowl for dogs.

There's a Mcdonalds store located there, that doesn't have a drive-thru, but has a doggy 'drive-thru' window for customers that have dogs. It was polar opposite of 'no dogs allowed'...people would try to order from there, because inside was pack, and I just thought it was too funny when the Mcdonald's employee told the people without dogs, that they only serve people who have dogs from this window.

I use to be a club promoter and my boss had a dog that looked like Princess, and would take her to have playdates with her dog at the club I worked for, and she would help me promote on the beach somedays or sometimes at night even along the walkside where the clubs would be.

I dunno maybe its just me, but I like my dogs company, not just in the home. And as for leaving them in the car? Under the Florida sun? I DON'T THINK SO.

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 10:28 PM
So APBT owners are trolls?! Am I a troll because Verde is likely a APBT X? Granted she may be a Plott Hound X but that aint bloody likely.

Read what I wrote, not what you want to want to read.

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I dunno maybe its just me, but I like my dogs company, not just in the home. And as for leaving them in the car? Under the Florida sun? I DON'T THINK SO.

So leave them at home.

I've known people with serious animal allergies. They should not be subjected to animal dander in stores for your convenience.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 10:39 PM
So leave them at home.

Um no, I have my rights and as long as they're allowed, I'll do with my dogs as I please.

I've known people with serious animal allergies. They should not be subjected to animal dander in stores for your convenience.

I have dogs with very low pet dander and I doubt they'll have a reaction unless they're very close to me which I doubt it since they should no better than be close to a dog if they have allgeries. I've never had a problem with my dogs and people with allgeries, even my cousin who is allergic to everything and at only 5 years old has been to the hospital for allergic reactions plenty of times, can be around my dogs no problems....other people's dogs is another story though.

blue
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Read what I wrote, not what you want to want to read.

I reread it, my question hasnt changed. I can imagine that greyhound owners would be called trolls if a number of them joined a anti dog racing forum, but wait! PT isnt anti APBT, just a few members are.

I do agree with you on dogs in private businesses, but wait! This thread isnt about pets in private businesses.

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Nowhere in any of my posts did I state or even imply that all APBT owners are trolls.

blue
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Nowhere in any of my posts did I state or even imply that all APBT owners are trolls.

Just the ones that recently joined this forum?

Lady's Human
01-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Yes, the ones who joined between 1201 and 1310 pm on 26 december 2009 from IP address 56.38.123.90-99

Candy317
01-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Yes, the ones who joined between 1201 and 1310 pm on 26 december 2009 from IP address 56.38.123.90-99

That is some creepy ish. Are you a mod or something? :confused:

blue
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM

This forum has 2 mods, and LH isnt 1 of them. Either he has some insider info or he has some ninja intraweb skills.

Candy317
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
this forum has 2 mods, and lh isnt 1 of them. Either he has some insider info or he has some ninja intraweb skills.

lol!!

Candy317
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
As for disliking breeds. I can't dislike ANY dog, I like them all...from the ones I'll personally never own to the down right FUGLY ones. They all have a place in this world :love:

redog
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Nice assumption.

I never mentioned the breed when talking about Lowes. Assumption #1.

The automatic assumption is that because I'm disagreeing with pitty owners, I hate pitties.

And you are all completely and utterly incorrect.

There are two breeds I dislike as breeds, they aren't, however, pit bulls.

As far as snitching on a gang member getting me in trouble, how in heck do you think gangs gain their power? Besides, how are they going to find me or do anything? While there are quite a few gang issues in the area I work in, the area I live in is another issue entirely.

nice assumption yourself!:p

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
I dunno, I think I find a breed that is ugly... but that is normally not ugly. Lol I'm not a big fan of Bedlinton terriers for one reason. They look like sheep. I've had to work with all different farm animals and for some reason I JUST DO NOT LIKE SHEEP. hahaha So therefore, the bedlingtons look too much like sheep. :)

Candy317
01-05-2010, 12:19 AM
My children fight with each other sometimes. They also make have messy rooms and bad table manner once in a while. Never once did it occur to me to chain them to their beds.

WOAH..apples to oranges there. Your kids might fight, but do they fight till the death? Do you get your human boy neutered because you don't want him to knock up a girl? Sorry not a very good example........dogs shouldn't be treated as humans and kids never should be treated as dogs. Just common sense there.

http://lh3.google.com/Nitro2k/R5iK9ONSvvI/AAAAAAAAAxo/rGoH5muEbkk/s400/1026.jpg

http://placesyoudontbringababy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Baby_on_Leash_Walmart.png

Marty
01-05-2010, 03:18 AM
Marty I'm very interested in you and your dogs way of life before I make my thoughts on chaining. Would you care to indulge me?Sure I'll answer anything you have to ask, you did ask nicely didn't you?

As far as all the others as to why the are separated have you ever saw two pit bull's fight?

I don't allow it to happen, some people know me all over the world and know what I'm about and starting Sh*t is not one of them :D

Read this and then cast stone's if you will...

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t38419/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t36546/

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t39599/

User name Gamedogs over there ;)

My son's blog....

http://www.pit-bull.org/2009/12/pit-bull-containment/

anna_66
01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
I guess what I want to know is what's an average day for your dogs. Do they stay on the chain all day? What sort of human interaction do they get daily?

When I think of dogs on a chain I see them outside never getting attention, walked or any of the normal things most house dogs get. Just neglected.

With my dogs they're here in the house with me when they want to be and outside when they want to be. They're constantly being petted, talked to and played with and loved.

Marty
01-05-2010, 04:23 AM
I guess what I want to know is what's an average day for your dogs. Do they stay on the chain all day? What sort of human interaction do they get daily?

When I think of dogs on a chain I see them outside never getting attention, walked or any of the normal things most house dogs get. Just neglected.

With my dogs they're here in the house with me when they want to be and outside when they want to be. They're constantly being petted, talked to and played with and loved.Try this and tell me if it works...

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=99ffa4158619dd6d2f56f5&skin_id=601

anna_66
01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Try this and tell me if it works...

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=99ffa4158619dd6d2f56f5&skin_id=601

It worked. Nice looking dogs. Doesn't answer my question and from reading some of the threads you posted it doesn't really look like I'll get my questions answered straight out as it seems you skirt around what you don't want to answer. Which you have every right to do. I just wondered what an average day consisted of for them and you.

So...I'll just stick to looking at pictures you post because as I said, your dogs are beautiful.

Marty
01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
It worked. Nice looking dogs. Doesn't answer my question and from reading some of the threads you posted it doesn't really look like I'll get my questions answered straight out as it seems you skirt around what you don't want to answer. Which you have every right to do. I just wondered what an average day consisted of for them and you.

So...I'll just stick to looking at pictures you post because as I said, your dogs are beautiful.How about you come and spend the day with us and see what we do all day long ;) I'm in Ga and thats not to far away :D

Marty
01-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Here ya go a pretty pink coat on my dog will that help?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/4-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/3-2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/2.jpg

Enjoy :D

Marty
01-05-2010, 06:22 AM
How about this...

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/?action=view&current=d543dc72.flv

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/?action=view&current=6de4e5f1.flv

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/Lilbit-04-19-08-006.jpg good looking dog or NO?

apbtmom76
01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
OMG this thread, and I am a bit wierded out that someone who is NOT a MOD here has my IP addy and thinks that I cam ehere to start problems when my thread was bashed cause I took my dog to Lowes'. lmaoooooooooo, you people can't seem to leave stuff alone.

marty - I have never chained my dogs, Phoebe is tethered for part of the day at ehr house when it is nice outside, butt hat's it, now when I eventaully get more dogs then yes I will have to put some one a chain set up outside, which if done properly I have no problem with as I exercise my dogs everyday and give them all the love they could possibly need. You have a good set up and your dogs are all happy :D

Candy - I love those pics, I am terrified of crips, lol, btu omg those pics are too cute :D

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Thank you LH for your posts. I agree 100+%.

I said I wasn't going to publically post in response to any other post here, and in keeping with that, I sent a PM to one of the OP's friends, explaining in a rational manner, why I, and a lot of others, see him as confrontational. I shouldn't have wasted my time and energy, because in the end, I was told that I was rude and bashing the OP. I still have the PM's, and would be glad to forward them to anyone who might want to view the conversation, then you can tell me if I was rude and a basher.

This OP started out looking for issues in his Introduction. He admittedly "opened a can of worms", and when no one took the bait, he started this tread with the same intention. Not a lot of folks read Intros - thus the lack of response - IMO of course. So he starts a new thread (same subject) here - makes it a one sentence post ending with "so what's the big problem?" HUH????? Nobody had a chance to even say if it was a problem, since he chose to make it one on his own, and in only one sentence. Is it any wonder that people view him as confrontational? If someone says to me "so what's the big problem?", or "have you got a problem with that?", and the like, then I know "words" will probably follow.

I have nothing against the OP, his dogs, his friends, etc. Perhaps if he would change his approach and soften up just a little, people might see him in a different light. I'm not saying to be sweet and syrupy, but tone it down a notch or two. Again - this is my opinion for what it's worth.

luvofallhorses
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I said I wasn't going to publically post in response to any other post here, and in keeping with that, I sent a PM to one of the OP's friends, explaining in a rational manner, why I, and a lot of others, see him as confrontational. I shouldn't have wasted my time and energy, because in the end, I was told that I was rude and bashing the OP. I still have the PM's, and would be glad to forward them to anyone who might want to view the conversation, then you can tell me if I was rude and a basher.

and do you think Karen will appreciate any of that? Ridiculous. Love the pink coat, Marty! :D

anna_66
01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
How about you come and spend the day with us and see what we do all day long ;) I'm in Ga and thats not to far away :D

I would absolutely LOVE to do that!

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 09:49 AM

If everyone had thoroughly read LH's posts, they just might have gotten a clue! :p

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Nevermind... If the shoe fits, wear it.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Alright, after reading all of the pages on the forum threads Marty posted... I have come to the conclusion that...

Yes, he does answer vaguely to annoy people and then they start fighting with EACH OTHER and it blows up into big fights. Apparently, they talk about dog fighting on his forum. They also laugh about getting everyone on other forum websites to fight...

I gave the benefit of the doubt that you guys were really trying to educate people about pitbulls, but seeing two forums blow up over pitbulls because of something ONE person... the SAME person, wrote and how he writes it...

someone's up to no good. :p

Oh, and also the fact that he doesn't answer questions... how can you educate if you don't open up and share your information... ??? We are open to learning... believe me... but if someone isn't sharing the information that is needed to learn... how do we learn? I usually have a whole text book of information in my classes that I learn from. And powerpoints. And I ask questions, and they get answered.

And Blue, why are you standing for this guy when you kept telling him that he had a stick somewhere in one of his body cavities on the other website???? (Not trying to argue here, but I'm just asking because I want to know if he posted somewhere else and it made more sense or not)

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
So, I'm going to try and rephrase a question I have from Anna's post... and one you never answered on the forum thread you posted...

My previous dalmatian had excellent definition in her hind quarters... they have very strong legs, hence why they can run for miles. She acquired these amazing muscles (because she didn't have them when I had her) by running her with me on my bike every day for a very long time.

Yes, genetics has something to do with it... but...

I know that you cannot get a dog that looks like that from genetics. How, exactly, do you get your dogs in amazing shape for showing them?

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

So why did you delete what you originally posted? :confused:

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Not if it's ugly. Lol! :D

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I didn't want to add fuel to the fire Pomp. I lost my temper and what I said wasn't worth the time it took to type to be honest with you. It's not my style to contribute to these kinds of posts, but i listened to my inner bad side lol. If anyone has any questions on APBTs or Am Bullies in general, we can start another thread.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Not if it's ugly. Lol! :D

lol I really don't care WHAT it looks like with this cooold weather, even if it's made out of straw I'm gonna keep my feet warm!

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Lol, TRUUEEE. It is quite chilly here. :) So much in fact that I don't have my deep freezer yet, and don't have room, so Delta's whole chicken is kept frozen on my balcony. HAHAHA!

Indigo Bully Connection
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Lol, TRUUEEE. It is quite chilly here. :) So much in fact that I don't have my deep freezer yet, and don't have room, so Delta's whole chicken is kept frozen on my balcony. HAHAHA!

Good lord that is coooold! We think we're freezing to death here in Florida... we're comparing this week to the longest cold streek ever lmfao and we're only getting to the mid twenties at night.

pomtzu
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I didn't want to add fuel to the fire Pomp. I lost my temper and what I said wasn't worth the time it took to type to be honest with you. It's not my style to contribute to these kinds of posts, but i listened to my inner bad side lol. If anyone has any questions on APBTs or Am Bullies in general, we can start another thread.

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty. I believe that I speak for a lot of folks here when I say we don't like to argue over petty crap. I think all that anyone is asking for, is an attitude more conducive to promote a friendlier atmosphere among posters, whether they be new to the forum, or have been around for a while.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
FLORIDA!!! haha Sometimes I wish I was there. *sigh* only in a dream. Hahaha But I will do without the creepy bugs and REAAAALLY hot summers.

Grace
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Alright, after reading all of the pages on the forum threads Marty posted... I have come to the conclusion that...

Yes, he does answer vaguely to annoy people and then they start fighting with EACH OTHER and it blows up into big fights. Apparently, they talk about dog fighting on his forum. They also laugh about getting everyone on other forum websites to fight...

I gave the benefit of the doubt that you guys were really trying to educate people about pitbulls, but seeing two forums blow up over pitbulls because of something ONE person... the SAME person, wrote and how he writes it...

someone's up to no good. :p

Oh, and also the fact that he doesn't answer questions... how can you educate if you don't open up and share your information... ??? We are open to learning... believe me... but if someone isn't sharing the information that is needed to learn... how do we learn? I usually have a whole text book of information in my classes that I learn from. And powerpoints. And I ask questions, and they get answered.

And Blue, why are you standing for this guy when you kept telling him that he had a stick somewhere in one of his body cavities on the other website???? (Not trying to argue here, but I'm just asking because I want to know if he posted somewhere else and it made more sense or not)

Thanks for doing the research, Monica. Find that one paragraph very interesting.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Candy - I love those pics, I am terrified of crips, lol, btu omg those pics are too cute :D

Thanks!

Oh and its 54 degrees in Florida!! As much as I complain about wanting snow, I want the cold to go away soon! But it looks like its going to be 70 on friday, so hopefully I can go to the beach on Saturday!! Yay for beach weather all year long! As for bugs, I don't know, I never had a problem with them? :confused:

And omg did you guys even read the threads? He does NOT fight his dogs. Sigh.

apbtmom76
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks!

Oh and its 54 degrees in Florida!! As much as I complain about wanting snow, I want the cold to go away soon! But it looks like its going to be 70 on friday, so hopefully I can go to the beach on Saturday!! Yay for beach weather all year long! As for bugs, I don't know, I never had a problem with them? :confused:

And omg did you guys even read the threads? He does NOT fight his dogs. Sigh.

lol girl it is about 38 right now and that is really cold for here but I am with ya on it getting warmer and soon, I would much rather have the 105 degree days than this, lol, and bugs are not a big deal is what bug spray is for, lmaooo

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
You're welcome Grace. :)

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
He most likely doesn't. I don't think someone goes around flaunting that. But they do talk about it on his website. People brought it up on the forum he posted. You're right, I only glanced at his game dogs website. I did see stuff about dog fighting, but did not look into it. :) And just because I said they TALK about it... doesn't mean I meant that he did it. *Edited to add this*

As for the bugs... they REALLY creep me out. Like... I'm a BABY when it comes to spiders. I'm getting BETTER, but big ones still creep me out Eww eww eww.

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
He most likely doesn't. I don't think someone goes around flaunting that. But they do talk about it on his website. People brought it up on the forum he posted. You're right, I only glanced at his game dogs website. I did see stuff about dog fighting, but did not look into it. :) And just because I said they TALK about it... doesn't mean I meant that he did it. *Edited to add this*

As for the bugs... they REALLY creep me out. Like... I'm a BABY when it comes to spiders. I'm getting BETTER, but big ones still creep me out Eww eww eww.

Aww I love spiders, except the colorful ones. They tickle when the walk on you. If I see a roach I pick it up by its antenna and give to my dogs to kill. I dunno I'm just weird haha. Only things that creep me out are frogs/toads, sharks, crocs/alligators, and anything posionous.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh, man. Your post gave me the creeps! hahaha I don't mind froggies, they're cute. :) I don't like sharks though... they're really cool creatures, but I know if I go in the ocean, a shark will pick me out and eat me. hahaha

Candy317
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Oh, man. Your post gave me the creeps! hahaha I don't mind froggies, they're cute. :) I don't like sharks though... they're really cool creatures, but I know if I go in the ocean, a shark will pick me out and eat me. hahaha

When I lived with my ex, I was the one who would take the lizards that would come in outside. I always use to tell him stuff about roaches to scare him too, haha, like how many babies they produce in a month and how they can live a couple of months without their head.

MonicanHonda
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
When I lived with my ex, I was the one who would take the lizards that would come in outside. I always use to tell him stuff about roaches to scare him too, haha, like how many babies they produce in a month and how they can live a couple of months without their head.

:)... THANKS. Hahaha. I'm fine with lizards though. :) I love them. ahaha

Aidan
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
When done correctly and for the proper reasons like Marty has done I see absolutely nothing wrong with chaining up your animals. I myself would never be able to keep my dogs chained on a constant basis but I am not against those that have to.

KYS
01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Marty;2223864:How about you come and spend the day with us and see what we do all day long ;) I'm in Ga and thats not to far away :D>>>>>>

Well I live out in CA. so how about indulging me and answering Anna's questions. You said you wanted to educate us! Now I am curious about your dogs. Do you have a web site that explains about you, your training and breeding program etc.? I have seen plenty of fabulous pics.:D

blue
01-05-2010, 09:26 PM

This thread is about chaining, and from what Ive seen Marty is doing it properly and correctly, not what Chazhound feels about him or his dogs.

Im banned from Chazhound so it makes searching over their imposible, but if I remember right, the way Marty and others from Game-Dog where treated I dont blame him or them for being vague in their answers.

Aidan
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Yea, I have read a lot of threads from over there where Marty was involved and while he was educating and showing he did the best for his dogs, a lot of people still had other ideas and did not present them in the best ways.

Marty
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Confrontational? yes I am and its because I've done this same thing for many yrs with the same type of forum's and member's as this one, can you say foresight?...

Thank you LH for your posts. I agree 100+%.

This OP started out looking for issues in his Introduction. He admittedly "opened a can of worms", and when no one took the bait, he started this tread with the same intention. Not a lot of folks read Intros - thus the lack of response - IMO of course. So he starts a new thread (same subject) here - makes it a one sentence post ending with "so what's the big problem?" HUH????? Nobody had a chance to even say if it was a problem, since he chose to make it one on his own, and in only one sentence. Is it any wonder that people view him as confrontational? If someone says to me "so what's the big problem?", or "have you got a problem with that?", and the like, then I know "words" will probably follow.

I have nothing against the OP, his dogs, his friends, etc. Perhaps if he would change his approach and soften up just a little, people might see him in a different light. I'm not saying to be sweet and syrupy, but tone it down a notch or two. Again - this is my opinion for what it's worth.So you thought you would get some different answer's from my friend's?

Why not come to me?

So, I'm going to try and rephrase a question I have from Anna's post... and one you never answered on the forum thread you posted...

My previous dalmatian had excellent definition in her hind quarters... they have very strong legs, hence why they can run for miles. She acquired these amazing muscles (because she didn't have them when I had her) by running her with me on my bike every day for a very long time.

Yes, genetics has something to do with it... but...

I know that you cannot get a dog that looks like that from genetics. How, exactly, do you get your dogs in amazing shape for showing them?dalmatian and APBT's are two different breeds, Lilbit is 100% natural nothing but love and a bed to sleep on all day long, my dogs are taken off the chain and shown in ADBA conformaition show's and win Best of show and Best of opposite...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Dog%20shows/winners-circle-2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Dog%20shows/marty-lil-bit-brian-closer.jpg

Brother and sister winning both Best in show and best of opposite in a ADBA point show....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Dog%20shows/BIS--Best-of-opposite.jpg

Marty;2223864:How about you come and spend the day with us and see what we do all day long ;) I'm in Ga and thats not to far away :D>>>>>>

Well I live out in CA. so how about indulging me and answering Anna's questions. You said you wanted to educate us! Now I am curious about your dogs. Do you have a web site that explains about you, your training and breeding program etc.? I have seen plenty of fabulous pics.:DCheck out Game-dog.com, Pitbull-chat.com

Why not just Google "Marty's lilbit" were known all over the world LOL

Game-dog.com is more geared to the history of the breed and yes it lintels the talk of dog fighting... do I agree with dog fighting? heck no!

If everyone had thoroughly read LH's posts, they just might have gotten a clue! :pWhy are you derailing my post with what went on in another post?

This thread is about chaining dogs and what pet owners think about it!!!

Mod's please delete off topic post's :)

As for the bugs... they REALLY creep me out. Like... I'm a BABY when it comes to spiders. I'm getting BETTER, but big ones still creep me out Eww eww eww. I only glanced at his game dogs website. I did see stuff about dog fighting, but did not look into it.So you took a glance and your going to condemn me to hell cause we talk about the history of the breed?

I'm a very busy man so if I don't get right back to you don't think nothing of it ;)

MonicanHonda
01-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Hmm, did I say I was going to condemn you to hell? No... I don't think I did. Thank you very much.

As for your dogs, then I do feel sorry for them if they don't even get a walk. Get them out once in awhile, dogs love it.

MonicanHonda
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a few more things to say, and I'm going to be nice, so I am expecting your comments back to be nice.

-Upon googling Marty's Lil Bit as you have asked me to, it seems you have a big following and you must be proud. Something must be RIGHT about this dog. :)

-I was not claiming that you fight your dogs, or that anyone does. I was simply stating you talk about it because someone else brought it up. So thank you for telling me that you guys are talking about the history of the dog. I was figuring that you would give us an answer for it.

pomtzu
01-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Hey Marty - it seems that there's a lot of "off topic" posts in this thread - so don't tell me that it's ME derailing your thread. Go back and re-read and you shall see!

What I find puzzling, is that you start a thread, and then don't answer any of the questions that are put to you. You just keep referring folks to other sites. Why start a thread here in the first place if you're so busy that you don't have the time to answer??? Check out XXXXX.com, and why not GoogleXXXXX????? Maybe the people that want answers prefer "one stop shopping" here at PT, and don't care to go searching other places for the elusive answers.

Daisy and Delilah
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I have very little time to be on PT anymore for family illness and other things. I really miss PT. I have a few spare minutes today so I decided to visit. Question:

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING ON THIS BOARD ALL OF A SUDDEN????

Where did this whole slew of new people come from that CONTINUE to cause trouble? We have lost so many of our older members for things like this. If you people are here to create controversy, MOVE ON!!! Go back to the boards that enjoy this ridiculous bickering.

If any of you were experiencing the life I'm experiencing right now, you would put aside this nonsense and find something to be productive about. This trivial garbage is insane. Get a life!!! If any of you have seen a family member or friend degrade from Alzheimer's or cancer, you wouldn't think of acting like this. This is what I'm living every day and I don't want to see these kind of threads again. I believe in a spirited discussion just like everyone else but this one has been done for sport and hatefulness. It's nasty, unnecessary, and downright volatile.

Don't sit there and act like you're dumbfounded at the reaction you got. You expected it from the beginning. You knew where it was going. I am flabbergasted at how you have a whole "team" of helpers on board "all of a sudden" to back up these displays of pettyness. STOP IT!!

Your dogs are gorgeous. Do what you have to to train them or keep them healthy and happy. If they must be chained, so be it. Stop daring people to complain about it. Keep it to yourself. No one here needs to know about it, especially when you know it's a hot point to make here.

As someone else said; When did Pet Talk start hating Pit Bulls? Did I miss that trend???

Another comment::::For those asking questions and acting shocked that some folks think some of you have attitude problems......your posts are screaming attitude problem and confrontation. Perhaps some of you can't see it but most of us can.

Aidan
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
I completely disagree. With a thread like this I believe intentions are to show there are right ways to go about doing things such as tethering an animal for a good part of its day. Confrontational, how? Because its a topic that can cause confrontation? Thats not the OPs fault, thats those who respond in a negative way. Threads like this are needed to educate, to help people realize that set ups like this do not always mean irresponsibility, and even worse, some would see things like this out in the real world as someone who mistreats his dogs and maybe even fights them. I am new here, correct me if I am wrong, but are forums such as this not used to help educate and to discuss certain aspects of ownership?

I also think its down right disrespectful to say "slew of new people that continue to cause trouble", as you are speaking about the influx of APBT and bully people who have joined the boards. I think it comes down to an idea people may already have when it comes to things these new people discuss and don't want to discuss. Intentions are never to stir the pot, if you see the topic that way you already have some pre conceived notions towards the idea and see it that way from the get go.

pomtzu
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you Terry (Daisy & Delilah for those that don't know her) for this post. You've pretty much covered all bases here, and I can only hope as you do, that some kind of peace and order can be restored to this board.

It's true, we have lost a lot of older members recently due to unnecessary conflicts - members that have been around a lot longer than I have. This place just isn't what it used to be. I'll be the first to admit that at times I tend to spout off more than I should, but I've been working on resolving that problem. I just get so aggravated at some of the nonsense that goes on at times, and I add my 2 cents worth when I should just keep my opinions to myself. But as I've said repeatedly - it's only my opinion for what it's worth.

That being said, I'll try to make this my last post in this thread, and any other thread that involves potentially explosive material. I intend to do my part to put an end to all this nonsense. If it means leaving this community, so be it.

And to EVERYBODY - if you want to be part of restoring this board to what it used to be - then DO NOT comment on this post.

And yes - I realize that this post is "off topic", so I'm guilty as charged this time.

Thanks again Terry - I'll be in touch thu email. :)

Asiel
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I have very little time to be on PT anymore for family illness and other things. I really miss PT. I have a few spare minutes today so I decided to visit. Question:

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING ON THIS BOARD ALL OF A SUDDEN????

Another comment::::For those asking questions and acting shocked that some folks think some of you have attitude problems......your posts are screaming attitude problem and confrontation. Perhaps some of you can't see it but most of us can.

Thank you for a well written and great post. ( shortened here as anyone can read it above) Ditto for me .

Grace
01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank you for a well written and great post. ( shortened here as anyone can read it above) Ditto for me .

Another in agreement.

Lady's Human
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Threads like this are needed to educate, to help people realize that set ups like this do not always mean irresponsibility, and even worse, some would see things like this out in the real world as someone who mistreats his dogs and maybe even fights them. I am new here, correct me if I am wrong, but are forums such as this not used to help educate and to discuss certain aspects of ownership?

Yes, these forums have an educational bent. However, the boards have never been anti APBT, and have been rabidly anti BSL as long as I've been here. The OP, as stated in his last post, wanted a confrontation. There's no reason to be confrontational here, as very, very few here have a bias against pitties.

I also think its down right disrespectful to say "slew of new people that continue to cause trouble", as you are speaking about the influx of APBT and bully people who have joined the boards. I think it comes down to an idea people may already have when it comes to things these new people discuss and don't want to discuss. Intentions are never to stir the pot, if you see the topic that way you already have some pre conceived notions towards the idea and see it that way from the get go.

Disrespectful?

Disrespectful is coming here as the OP did with an intention to cause conflict. THAT is disrespect.

Disrespectful is assuming that these boards are anti-pit. No, they're not. Yes, there have been harsh responses to some of the posts, but it has nothing to do with the breed, rather it is a reaction to the attitude of some of the people who have posted. If you were to actually LOOK at some of the past threads about pitties, you'll find that the anti-pit posts have been met with nothing but disgust in most cases. Again, it has nothing to do with the breed, it has to do with the attitudes of some of the people. Frankly, I prefer dogs to people most of the time, and people who come onto a new forum knowing nothing about it and start arguments are one of the many reasons I think dogs are better than people.

Candy317
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I completely disagree. With a thread like this I believe intentions are to show there are right ways to go about doing things such as tethering an animal for a good part of its day. Confrontational, how? Because its a topic that can cause confrontation? Thats not the OPs fault, thats those who respond in a negative way. Threads like this are needed to educate, to help people realize that set ups like this do not always mean irresponsibility, and even worse, some would see things like this out in the real world as someone who mistreats his dogs and maybe even fights them. I am new here, correct me if I am wrong, but are forums such as this not used to help educate and to discuss certain aspects of ownership?

Agreed. For those who don't like it, simple, don't read and don't respond :D

If these are truely 'trolls' as so many of you put it, then a mod would of said something to address the issue. And a mod has yet to said anything so thus there is nothing to address!

I find it hard to 'pity' some of the people who say the forum isn't what isn't what it use to be, when some of these same people are sending nasty PMs. I don't see how thats any better or welcoming for our newcomers.

Don't like a person? Don't like their post? There's a little something called ignorning their posts ;) Problem solved.

Marty
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
You think your site is really doing me harm?

I been under the spot light for many yrs, I got all the hatters after me...

http://cravendesires.blogspot.com/

I don't run away scared LOL

I'm a fighter not a lover, I fight for what I believe in :D

Lady's Human
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
The point you're missing is that minus your attitude there's no fight here.

caseysmom
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
The point you're missing is that minus your attitude there's no fight here.

But the attempt is still being made but for the most part ignored, that why pettalk is so special.

Marty
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't have to be here in the first place!!!

As I've said i'm very busy with other hatters LOL

Lady's Human
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Then please, don't let this board be a bother to you and use your time for other pursuits.

Have fun, now. kthanxbai.

Cinder & Smoke
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Then please, don't let this board be a bother to you and
use your time for other pursuits.

See ya ... B-Bye!!

:rolleyes:

Marty
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
See ya ... B-Bye!!

:rolleyes:Later Hun!!!

caseysmom
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey Phred you got a new nickname now okay Hun:D, seems kinda fitting for a retired firedude:D

Cinder & Smoke
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey Phred you got a new nickname now okay Hun :D,
seems kinda fitting for a retired firedude :D

>snikker<
:p

So, who *retired*?

:D

Marty
01-07-2010, 12:08 AM
>snikker<
:p

So, who *retired*?

:DI retired.... after reading some of these post :eek:

caseysmom
01-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Ooops sorry hun I didn't realize you were still an active firedude!

Cinder & Smoke
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
... I didn't realize you were still an active firedude!

;)
SEMI-active firedude.

:cool:

blue
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Marty, if you wanna be a d!(k take it back to Chaz.

This could have been a good thread, and Ive tried to make educational posts from my limited observasions with chaining, but if your gonna pull this carp you are not helping your cause or your breed.

For the PT crowd....

Many people have succesfully chained dogs for years if not decades without problems or damaging their dogs, and not just pit bulls, but sled dogs as well.

I know the anti chainers have all their reasons on why its bad but many of the same problems can crop up with kenneling under the same conditions that damage dogs on a chain, ever look into the conditions racing greyhounds are kept?

Marty
01-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Marty, if you wanna be a d!(k take it back to Chaz.

This could have been a good thread, and Ive tried to make educational posts from my limited observasions with chaining, but if your gonna pull this carp you are not helping your cause or your breed.

For the PT crowd....

Many people have succesfully chained dogs for years if not decades without problems or damaging their dogs, and not just pit bulls, but sled dogs as well.

I know the anti chainers have all their reasons on why its bad but many of the same problems can crop up with kenneling under the same conditions that damage dogs on a chain, ever look into the conditions racing greyhounds are kept?Got to keep face I guess, dude I have no idea what your talking about but Ok I'm gone, this is not the site I thought it was anyway :rolleyes:

sasvermont
01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I wish you would take a few others with you.

redog
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=sasvermont;2224719]

Please edit my quotes from your posts.
Thank you

sasvermont
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
There have always been new members here, and for most, they are welcomed with open arms.

Not everyone here gets along, as I am sure is true about any forum.

When you roll in, thinking you own the forum after having been here only a few days, it rubs people the wrong way. It has nothing to do with the pet, but the owner.

I have never been banned from a forum or been asked to leave. I try to fit in and yet I still find myself getting into arguments from time to time.

If the socializing part of the forum is something you need to brush up on, please do take the time and then come back with better people skills.

We have members with thousands of posts after many years .... and then someone comes along to tell us how they are here to educate us. We have lots of members who have let us come to know their pets and their solutions to problems. We don't need people to ram information down our throats.

So, if this forum doesn't fit for you, move on and do yourself and us a favor. The upset just isn't worth it and it is dragging down the morale of the forum.

pomtzu
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
look at this link and see the excuses made by op. every single suggestion was shot down.http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2222534

Just for your information - redog (not that it's any of your business) but - I made another call to AC this a.m., and they have agreed to come out and investigate and patrol for this dog. So the squeaky wheel really does get the grease!

And they specifically told me NOT to try to approach him. Obviously they agree with the fact that he could be anything but friendly.

caseysmom
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
There have always been new members here, and for most, they are welcomed with open arms.

Not everyone here gets along, as I am sure is true about any forum.

When you roll in, thinking you own the forum after having been here only a few days, it rubs people the wrong way. It has nothing to do with the pet, but the owner.

I have never been banned from a forum or been asked to leave. I try to fit in and yet I still find myself getting into arguments from time to time.

If the socializing part of the forum is something you need to brush up on, please do take the time and then come back with better people skills.

We have members with thousands of posts after many years .... and then someone comes along to tell us how they are here to educate us. We have lots of members who have let us come to know their pets and their solutions to problems. We don't need people to ram information down our throats.

So, if this forum doesn't fit for you, move on and do yourself and us a favor. The upset just isn't worth it and it is dragging down the morale of the forum.

Very well said.

k9krazee
01-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Some people happen to like pet talk just the way it is. We may not have many "professional" dog people, but we do have a sound network of caring, passionate people. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

I haven't seen any slamming of APBT people here. It just gives the wrong impression when one poster posts and thread meant for confrontation and then a whole slew of backup joins to defend. And it just happens that the back up was APBT people. It has nothing to do with the breed of dog you own but the way you carry yourself on the boards.

Pinot's Mom
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Okay, I tried my best to stay out. I am an absolutely non-confrontational person, but PT is taking a hit, along with some people that are very special to me and I just can't take it anymore.

FIRST: Out of respect for the original poster and question, I will answer it. I HATE CHAINING DOGS BY THE COLLAR. Do you want to know why? Go see this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157118&highlight=NIKATA I understand there are some dogs who pose a threat, or for other reasons need to be restrained. Use a harness or proper dog runs, and don't leave them out to annoy or frighten those around them. I grew up with my family breeding Irish Setters who could jump six foot fences from a standing position. They had runs.

SECOND: PT is a wonderful 'board' (I think that's the proper term) with seriously caring, loving, and accepting PET people. You want proof? Go see the same thread (among many others). They have been very helpful and knowledgeable towards my issues, and those of others; I hope they continue to do so.

There's my two cents. Now (and I have said this before), I'm going back to the kitty threads where I belong. It's much happier there.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Okay, I tried my best to stay out. I am an absolutely non-confrontational person, but PT is taking a hit, along with some people that are very special to me and I just can't take it anymore.

FIRST: Out of respect for the original poster and question, I will answer it. I HATE CHAINING DOGS BY THE COLLAR. Do you want to know why? Go see this thread: http://http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=157118&highlight=NIKATA I understand there are some dogs who pose a threat, or for other reasons need to be restrained. Use a harness or proper dog runs, and don't leave them out to annoy or frighten those around them. I grew up with my family breeding Irish Setters who could jump six foot fences from a standing position. They had runs.

SECOND: PT is a wonderful 'board' (I think that's the proper term) with seriously caring, loving, and accepting PET people. You want proof? Go see the same thread (among many others). They have been very helpful and knowledgeable towards my issues, and those of others; I hope they continue to do so.

There's my two cents. Now (and I have said this before), I'm going back to the kitty threads where I belong. It's much happier there.

Pinot, this is not intended to be sarcastic nor nasty by annny means. I just felt the need to step in on this note in a nice way. A harness and dog runs are not suited for these types of dogs. My dogs are confined durring the day while I'm away from home, some are outside and some are inside. I have a kennel set up, as well as a chain/cable set up. Most Game Bred dogs will eat through a kennel just to get to another dog that catches it's eye... also, even for my not game bred dogs... I tried tethering them with harnesses, and they ate through both the nylon and leather. When we chose to own these kinds of dogs we need to step up the responsibility in order to preserve our rights as animal owners. I cannot afford the vet bills if my APBT got off the chain, ate the kennel. Even when inside my home my APBT girl has to be seperated by a closed door from all other animals. We have to rotate to keep the vet costs as low as possible! haha To do this right your animals, especially dogs who has been bred specifically for sports/jobs needs the exercise of it's mind just as much as it's body...if this is not done they do become distructive to themselves personally as well as to anything withing paws reach. Very similar to GSD dogs who have been bred, trained, worked for law inforcement, then they become retired... it is very difficult, if not impossible to make them house dogs. I'm sure it's the same way for a greyhound.

EDIT: it has been bred and ingrained into these dogs for hundreds of years to need a purpose in life, and that is where we as a bully community come into so many troubles because they are not dogs for everyone by any means. It takes a certain kind of owner to do this breed any kind of justice... or stay out of the media. The "Pit Bull" (and I hate that term, because it's such a loose generalization) has become more of a fashion statement for people and when prospective owners browse the classified adds they do not realise it is a life style, not just a dog.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I tried to look at your link, but this blasted computer loses internet connection when I do. Weird, anyway. I'm sure it's a prime example that there is a right way and a wrong way to tether a dog, there are certain kinds of collars that should be used to safely contain your dog, as well as there should be a clear path so the dog cannot get caught up on it's tether or anything around him/her.

MonicanHonda
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Pinot, this is not intended to be sarcastic nor nasty by annny means. I just felt the need to step in on this note in a nice way. A harness and dog runs are not suited for these types of dogs. My dogs are confined durring the day while I'm away from home, some are outside and some are inside. I have a kennel set up, as well as a chain/cable set up. Most Game Bred dogs will eat through a kennel just to get to another dog that catches it's eye... also, even for my not game bred dogs... I tried tethering them with harnesses, and they ate through both the nylon and leather. When we chose to own these kinds of dogs we need to step up the responsibility in order to preserve our rights as animal owners. I cannot afford the vet bills if my APBT got off the chain, ate the kennel. Even when inside my home my APBT girl has to be seperated by a closed door from all other animals. We have to rotate to keep the vet costs as low as possible! haha To do this right your animals, especially dogs who has been bred specifically for sports/jobs needs the exercise of it's mind just as much as it's body...if this is not done they do become distructive to themselves personally as well as to anything withing paws reach. Very similar to GSD dogs who have been bred, trained, worked for law inforcement, then they become retired... it is very difficult, if not impossible to make them house dogs. I'm sure it's the same way for a greyhound.

EDIT: it has been bred and ingrained into these dogs for hundreds of years to need a purpose in life, and that is where we as a bully community come into so many troubles because they are not dogs for everyone by any means. It takes a certain kind of owner to do this breed any kind of justice... or stay out of the media. The "Pit Bull" (and I hate that term, because it's such a loose generalization) has become more of a fashion statement for people and when prospective owners browse the classified adds they do not realise it is a life style, not just a dog.

I told myself I wasn't going to post anything in this thread anymore if I couldn't be nice, but...

Thank you so much for being so informative. :) You make the idea of chaining a "pit bull" seem very reasonable to me. I'm sure you take extra care to make sure they are safe when they are. :)

EDIT:

Oh, and I believe you too because just watching rescue shows on the tv and when they get dog aggressive "pit bulls" on there, they really mess themselves up with cages and such. They didn't really show the damage being done to this one dog, but when he was trying to get to the other "pit bull" the end result was blood EVERYWHERE.

Basically Pinot's thread was about a family who could no longer walk their dog (very nice family it sounds like) and their dog was on a long lead outside, ran after something and snapped it's neck. The dog had neck damage. So, if you are taking precautions as to something like this happening and being responsible about it... I suppose I could see this being better than a kennel or cage where they could hurt themselves and probably another dog once they got out of it.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I told myself I wasn't going to post anything in this thread anymore if I couldn't be nice, but...

Thank you so much for being so informative. :) You make the idea of chaining a "pit bull" seem very reasonable to me. I'm sure you take extra care to make sure they are safe when they are. :)

EDIT:

Oh, and I believe you too because just watching rescue shows on the tv and when they get dog aggressive "pit bulls" on there, they really mess themselves up with cages and such. They didn't really show the damage being done to this one dog, but when he was trying to get to the other "pit bull" the end result was blood EVERYWHERE.

Basically Pinot's thread was about a family who could no longer walk their dog (very nice family it sounds like) and their dog was on a long lead outside, ran after something and snapped it's neck. The dog had neck damage. So, if you are taking precautions as to something like this happening and being responsible about it... I suppose I could see this being better than a kennel or cage where they could hurt themselves and probably another dog once they got out of it.

No problemo, I welcome any questions. I have had to mend many bloody noses because of fence fights with the neighbors dog with Neela lol. Breaking up a "scuffle" with these dogs is much more of chore than it is with any other breed I've worked with. After the second go round between my older girls, I broke down and got the break sticks. I, like many other people truely believed "if you raise them right you won't have any problems".... boooy was I WRONG! lol

amberlynn
01-10-2010, 03:34 PM
i dont like chains...that is my personal opinion but i don put my dogs on their but only in the summer time and only for a couple of hours (dogs get cabin fever too)....but i see that they get alot of love....o and ummm if i may ask were did u get those chains cuz i need to get some like that for my pits...my female she breaks chains like crazy.......and i think it would b cute to see a lil chihuahua on one...lol jk jk

amberlynn
01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
No problemo, I welcome any questions. I have had to mend many bloody noses because of fence fights with the neighbors dog with Neela lol. Breaking up a "scuffle" with these dogs is much more of chore than it is with any other breed I've worked with. After the second go round between my older girls, I broke down and got the break sticks. I, like many other people truely believed "if you raise them right you won't have any problems".... boooy was I WRONG! lol

ya i kno wut ya mean....my female and male are the fighting kings they do not stop and that is y we have the fight stick.....(police baton) wen they see that they stop rite then and there.....

luvofallhorses
01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Do you mean a break stick? :) I think that's what it's properly called.
http://www.pbrc.net/shop/bsticks.html

For anyone that doesn't know what a breakstick is - it is only to be used on bulldogs, not any other breed when they get in a fight with another dog and it doesn't mean you fight your dogs it seperates them faster without you getting hurt and every responsible APBT 'bulldog' owner should have one. :)

Breaksticks -

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

amberlynn
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
well ummmm that is wut we personally call it and they are pits not bulldogs...well mine at least

luvofallhorses
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Same thing. ;) APBTs are infact bulldog breeds. Hence 'bully' breeds still the same thing. :D

amberlynn
01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
ya i kno wut ya ment....it jus eerks me wen people say bulldog cuz bulldogs look more like the bullies.....dozer is british staffordshire....with a lil american to...that is y he has the bulldog look....but to me bulldogs are small and husky....

luvofallhorses
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
That is not what I meant at ALL about bulldog. :) I did not mean American Bullies. It's used as a term if you know what I mean. Of course APBTs are lean and medium like the OP's dog. :)

amberlynn
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
im sry....but anyway back to the chain thing...another reason y i dont like chains is because people can come into ur yard and having nice dogs like mine u dont kno that they come in the yard.....i almost lost my female pit because some punk kids poisend her.....i almost lost my baby...ever since then i dont let my dogs out unless im out there and i dont chain them up no more........

Indigo Bully Connection
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
It's a pet peeve of mine, but I don't like the terms Pits, or Pit Bulls. They are not breed specific. They lump a large amount of dogs together and add to the confusion to the general public. Bulldog is the original name of the American Pit Bull Terrier... They added the Terrier dogs to the Bulldog for "gameness" they introduced Terriers to the Bulldogs to have smaller, tenacious, quicker dog for fighting...They added the word "pit" when it became an underground sport ;) held in a "pit" also known as the "box".

*LabLoverKEB*
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Good post, Indigo. Very true!:)

A lot of people think that American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Bull Terriers are all 'pit bulls'. This is not the case! American Staffordshire's, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and the APBT are all closely related breeds, but they are in no means the same breeds.
The APBT is shorter, and leaner.
The AST and the APBT look very similar.
and Staffordshire Bull Terriers are much shorter, wider, and have a totally different face then the others.
The Bull Terrier is best known for it's egg-shaped head. Not very common, but the color mostly seen is mostly white or white w/ some brown patches.
and the American Bulldog, (seen in the movie Homeward Bound, 'Chance') is a taller, and leaner breed. I like the type of American Bulldog seen in the movie, I feel like people have bred them to be bigger, and heavier....

amberlynn
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
yes i kno that aswell...i did some research yesterday cuz i was more interested in the breed (and im having health issues with my older male) but it has jus been a habit for me to call them "pits"....im sry if i offended you in anway.........

Indigo Bully Connection
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Don't worry about it Amber you didn't offend me at all. I'm an all mighty nerd of the APBT lmfao. If you ever want any good links or forums on the breed let me know :) I certainly don't know it all, but I've had my heart set on an APBT since i was like 7 so I started my research about 10 years of age when the glory days of AOL were around lmfao.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
yes i kno that aswell...i did some research yesterday cuz i was more interested in the breed (and im having health issues with my older male) but it has jus been a habit for me to call them "pits"....im sry if i offended you in anway.........

Oh my post was not in any way directed at you, Amber.:) Just general information!:)

amberlynn
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
lol nice........yeah i have been starting to do research.....i guess im a nerd like that..........i have always like the breed but my dad always told me bad things about them........but we i got together with my fiance' he has two of them and they are the total opposite of what i have heard and well i have been doen some research and because of that research i have even convinced for my mom to keep the one that she "rescued"(longer story)......