PDA

View Full Version : Rose Parade survey?

RICHARD
01-01-2010, 01:04 PM
I was wondering about the Rose Parade coverage across the world and was curious.

No, I never have been, not really interested, it is close and I have thought about it.....

In the years past people would bring couches and chairs to the sidewalks, set up tents, make bonfires, throw tortillas and marshmallows at each other along the route and just have fun- no alcohol on the streets either!

We also had a local radio DJ who would tell his fans to watch the parade on a certain channel, mute the sound and listen to him on the radio, he would do a really raunchy and funny spoof of the event!

We have some channels that are commercial free and others that replay the parade four or five times in a row!:eek:

So..

Do you watch?

Do you follow the parade to see if any local/state floats or bands will appear?

Do you watch a certain channel for the coverage?

Do you have a favorite channel or announcer?

Freedom
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
WOO HOO oh Richard, I can't BELIEVE you are "close" to such an American icon and have NEVER been! But then, you do enjoy it more from home.

I LVOE parades, always have. Yes, I watch! I planned my morning around it. First thing I did when I got up this AM was find out what time and channel. Then I had to
- make sure dinner was started and would be ready AFTER the parade ends
- make sure Dad (who is diabetic) had a large enough breakfast to tide him over to a later than usual dinner
- shovel the driveway
- take my shower
do a few odds and ends, play with the pups, etc.

Once the parade starts, do NOT interrupt me! I am NOT available!

I DO listen for a band from nearby. Although I have lived in RI over 15 years, I still consider Mass my home (I lived there for the first 32 years of my life). Yup, Danvers Mass. Falcons Marching Band appeared in the parade this year! I went WILD! He hee. Especially funny as I would never admit to even "knowing" of Danvers if I was talking wtih another Mass resident. Danvers who? He he heee.

They had a wonderful blind band and explained how the band watchers could let them know to move left or right, run left or right. (1 or 2 hand on left shoulder, right shoulder) . Quite an honor for that band!

A terrific float honoring organ donors, highlighting an 8 year old boy who went on vacation with his family to Italy and died in an accident such a tragedy. His organs helped 8 people. The donors were done up in flowers, portraits really, but all flowers as the parade requires.

Several other floats were worthy of note but ALL were fantastic! What can be done with flowers, grasses, seeds. Super job!

boomersooner
01-01-2010, 01:59 PM
We live in Texas, and went out there for the Rose Bowl several years ago when OU played Washington State. We didn't go because we just were just not interested in parades, but we did get caught up in it trying to get to the stadium. As for watching it..I might flip over there a couple of times, but I usually don't even do that....I don't even go to the parades around here unless my kid is in it or something. I remember we had the Cotton Bowl Parade here in Dallas for most of my life, but I never had an interest in going.

DJFyrewolf36
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm way more interested in the game...especially this year!!! :D

I did see a thing on the news that said all the parade floats had to be made from or at least covered in organic material. Its good to know that everything is biodegradable!

pomtzu
01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I watch bits and pieces, but don't usually watch the whole thing. I had it on ABC this morning when I was watching it - just because that's the station I had on earlier, not because of a specific announcer.

When I was in high school in RI (back in the dinosaur age), my school was in the parade. I can still remember all the hoopla and fund raisers it took to get them all the way across country to participate. That's one time I wished I had played a musical instrument - it would have been so cool to be a part of that.

The A.I. Dupont Marching Band from Wilmington, DE, has been there 5 times that I can remember, as well as to London, bowl games, NASCAR events, etc. They are known as the most televised high school band in the U.S.

Daisy and Delilah
01-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I love this parade!! I wait for it every year. This year, I wasn't able to watch all of it due to other obligations. Was it just me or were they not naming the flowers used on the floats like they usually do? That's my second favorite part next to looking at the work that goes into them. I was watching the one with Al Roker.

Please note that Al Roker was on the Today Show this morning. Which Al Roker segment was pre-recorded? Could he have flown out there that fast? I doubt it.:confused:

Grace
01-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I watch - on HGTV, with NO commercials :)

I love the floats, and the bands, and the horses - everything.

When I was in high school in RI (back in the dinosaur age), my school was in the parade.
That was New Years Day 1960 - my brother's senior year at Vets. He didn't play an instrument, but it sure was fun hearing about everything.

Freedom
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I love this parade!! I wait for it every year. Was it just me or were they not naming the flowers used on the floats like they usually do? That's my second favorite part next to looking at the work that goes into them. I was watching the one with Al Roker.

Please note that Al Roker was on the Today Show this morning. Which Al Roker segment was pre-recorded? Could he have flown out there that fast? I doubt it.:confused:

Oh yes, Terry, they most definitely WERE telling the flowers used. One float had 131 different varities of flowers, seed, herbs. Just amazing!

The Rain Forest float used buffalo grass on the 9 gorillas, it really did seem like there were alive as the grasses were flowing. The folks working that float had renamed it "gorilla grass" during the prep. :D

And one float had something which is only grown commerically at ONE farm in the country, in Indiana. They said the location and name of that farm was a highly guarded secret. ;)

The China float had many things flown in from China AFTER Christmas so it would be fresh.

Freedom
01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I did see a thing on the news that said all the parade floats had to be made from or at least covered in organic material. Its good to know that everything is biodegradable!

That is the requirement. Exceptions can be sought, they are few. This year, the Boy Scouts had a "fly line" authorized, and had 2 scouts crossing a ravine on it.

Did anyone catch the float with the dogs snowboarding?! Hilarious!

cassiesmom
01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Do you watch? Yep

Do you follow the parade to see if any local/state floats or bands will appear?
Yes, the float and band from the Big Ten school and any other local band or float in the parade.

Do you watch a certain channel for the coverage? No

Do you have a favorite channel or announcer? I liked when HGTV ran it without commercials.

As I get older it seems like every marching band and float get me choked up. However, I was laughing while watching the snowboarding dogs this morning and thinking about all my PT friends!

Daisy and Delilah
01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Sandie. I must have watched the only part where they weren't naming the material used. I love to hear it every year so much!! When I was watching, Al Roker was making alot of jokes and that was about it.

moosmom
01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
*Yawn* I'd rather watch back to back Three Stooges marathon.

davidpizzica
01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I watched most of the parade. I was in on a couple activities here at the Home so I missed the beginning. I do remember way back when my dad owned a t.v. repair shop and sold new televisions. Every New Years day we would go down to the shop and watch the parade on one those new -fangled inventions, COLOR T.V.!

RICHARD
01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
When we were kids we went to every parade in the area. Dad would drag us there. ;)

I personally have warmed many a street curb in my childhood and believe that is the reason I have no rear end today, it was slowly worn down over the years.:)

I caught about 5 minutes total of the parade, LOL, I boycott the rest for political and social issues.:confused:

I used to go to business meetings in Pasadena a few times a month and would drive by the area where they set up the massive grandstads, so I considered that attendance.:eek::D

Daisy and Delilah
01-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I always(still do)imagined what it would be like to be in the float building areas. :)

RICHARD
01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I always(still do)imagined what it would be like to be in the float building areas. :)

They will begin, in a few days, to start designing for the 2011 parade.

------------------------

The company I worked for would ask for volunteers to put the the flowers on about the beginning of October. You go to a warehouse and they put you to work either sorting, tearing or pasting flowers, seeds, branches onto the floats, it is supposed to smell really good.

If you suffer from allergies and happen to die from them, onsite? Your body is used as ballast so the float won't tip over in curves. J/K

For a few days you can go to a park and see the floats in person, You do have to pay a fee..
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-rose-parade-viewing2-2010jan02,0,4739406.story

And in the past few years they began to recycle the flowers for potpourri...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-floats3-2010jan03,0,5780884.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+%28L.A.+ Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories%29

Here's an old, but descriptive obituary about the 'death' of a float!

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jan/05/local/me-float5

pomtzu
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
It was interesting to read about the demise of the floats after the parade is over.