PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Returns Dogs to Wrong Owners

happylabs
01-01-2010, 07:19 AM
OMG I cannot believe this story! Black Labs were given to the wrong owners. This upsets me knowing these owners didn't have a clue they had the wrong dogs!

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/12/30/kennel-returns-dogs-to-wrong-owners/?icid=main|aim|dl5|link1|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnatio n.com%2F2009%2F12%2F30%2Fkennel-returns-dogs-to-wrong-owners%2F

Pinot's Mom
01-01-2010, 09:36 AM
They thought the dog was acting aloof?? Come on! All black labs aren't identical!:rolleyes:

Catlady711
01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
The really weird part is that NEITHER owner realized they had their dogs switched. I'd have thought at least one owner would have known and for it to have gone on for 3 weeks is unbelievable!

I've only had to board a cat once and aside from the fact Dusty had VERY distinctive physical traits making it darn near impossible to mix her up with anyone, but she had a collar on when I took her that had her ID on it.

Taz_Zoee
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Exactly! What, the dogs didn't have collars on? Or did the kennel get those mixed up too?
I am so glad my dogs are very distinctive in their features. I would be so upset if this happened to me.

Indigo Bully Connection
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
What the heck?! I for darn sure would know any of my dogs! There's a little different glimmer in each one of their eyes. The way they walk, the way they bark, and get excited. Each one of my dogs are different. I'm with you Labs... how do you as an owner not know?!?!?!?!

happylabs
01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Exactly! What, the dogs didn't have collars on? Or did the kennel get those mixed up too?
I am so glad my dogs are very distinctive in their features. I would be so upset if this happened to me.

Yes! I didn't even think about that when I posted this. You would think they surely would have had their own collars on. I only boarded Casey once when she was about a year old. She came home smelling like urine and had a couple scratches on her. I never boarded her again. I got my brother to keep her when we went on vacation.

Taz_Zoee
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes! I didn't even think about that when I posted this. You would think they surely would have had their own collars on. I only boarded Casey once when she was about a year old. She came home smelling like urine and had a couple scratches on her. I never boarded her again. I got my brother to keep her when we went on vacation.

I had to put Zoee in a day care for two days when she was younger and Bruce was out of town. She didn't eat, drink or potty the entire time and she drooled buckets. She does the same thing at the groomers, but that's not very often. I've never put her in a kennel since. My brother also watches them when we go out of town. And if they can't my mom does.

pomtzu
01-01-2010, 01:30 PM
It's pretty bad when a vet does this..........

My son had taken his cat to be neutered. When he went to pick him up, they brought the cat out in his carrier. My son took him home and put the carrier in the bedroom and opened the door to let kitty come out on his own. A short time later he went in to check on him - he was out of the carrier, but hiding somewhere. He and his wife called and looked for him, but he wouldn't come out of hiding, so they let him be, not wanting to stress him out any more than he already was from his day at the vet. Finally a little later they decided they really needed to find him to make sure he was okay. Found him hiding under the bed. Problem was - it wasn't his cat - looked very similar - but not his.

Panic time - quick call to the vet. His cat had been picked up by the owner of the cat that was now in his possession. After a few phone calls, the problem was taken care of, and both parties were reunited with the proper cat.

Needless to see - my son found a new vet after that fiasco.

Casper
01-01-2010, 01:37 PM
How in the world...?! :confused:

I have worked at a kennel (cleaning the runs and exercising the dogs) where we had multiple labs boarding at once. At one time we had three black labs --all similar size and build-- boarded at once, and it only took me a day to learn how to tell them all apart. Its just unfathomable that this could happen....

I, too, am glad all of my dogs have distinctive looks about them.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow that is just unbelievable! Bad on the kernels part, but come on owners. I realize that many labs look almost identical, but have such different personalities. I would be able to pick out my girls from a sea of Labradors!

IRescue452
01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
At the kennel I worked at, collars were taken off so dogs didn't hang or strangle themselves. They were only put on when the dog was out of the kennel. However, only one dog per handler was taken outside the kennel at any given time and collars are put back on when taken out. There has never been a mixup no matter how many labs we had.

Twisterdog
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
That's ridiculous. Irresponsible of the kennel, no doubt ... but the OWNERS??? Holy. :eek:

I actually had some lady come to pick her schnauzer up from grooming. We generally have several schnauzers in the shop at once. She paid and heads over to a kennel to get her dog. I say, "Oh no, Ma'am, that's not Gidget. Gidget is over here." She actually argued with me, and implied that I was stupid and irresponsible to not know her dog! I had to actually take the other dog out of the crate and hold it up and say, "Ma'am, Gidget is a girl. This dog is clearly a boy." before she would take her own dog home ... and she was looking at both of them side by side.