PDA

View Full Version : Not happy new year...

Catty1
12-31-2009, 11:35 PM
It's 10:30, and I have done with a computer I have been fighting to fix for several days. Of course, things decided to get worse once I started working on it. It's a Gateway...YUCK!!!!

I have been in tears twice...have written up a refund cheque and am driving over in -27 weather to return the computer to the client.

This is the first time I have had a client angry with me. Everything went so well with the computer today - I was on it all day - and now it won't even boot into the newly installed Windows. :(

I think the motherboard is gone.

A couple of prayers, please.

ty:(

blue
12-31-2009, 11:58 PM
I can see how that would bring the suck, I have a job on a netbook that wont boot come monday, need to backup all pics on the HD and restore the OS.

I came home today after a week and within an hour my main comp had a virus/malware, causing all sorts of pop ups and system usage. Avast and Spybot didnt catch it so I wound up with a format reinstall, good thing it didnt get onto my home server. Since I dont save anything on my PCs I didnt lose anything from the format/reinstall and all is once again well.

I remember when my MoBo went TU and yall talked me down from the edge.

Can you boot the comp from a CD/DVD or a thumbdrive to recover the data if the MoBO isnt toast?

Catty1
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
I recovered the data the other day, Blue. SO that part is ok. What I should have done was called it 2 days ago when the computer was shutting down and restarting after I had been there to clean out a virus the previous day. Then the motherboard could have been diagnosed.

Just finished a yelling session with the client. I was prepared to let him vent and listen...I had his refund cheque made out and the number of a tech friend who could give a second opinion at my expense.

He kept yelling - of course he was upset - we talked about him borrowing my laptop til his computer was fixed, but he wanted to borrow the laptop AND have his Gateway back to where it was working before I wrecked it. (strongly implied).

My eyes are swollen, have shut off cell, can't get to sleep. I am sooo upset. :(

It's not the computer that bothers me it's the yelling.

Sorry you are having such a time.

Lilith Cherry
01-01-2010, 12:25 AM
<<<<Hugs>>>> for you Catty! Don't let the a$$hole get to you . Yelling never solved anything and those that do it are usually bullies!

Your advice to me the other day worked a treat thank you so don't lose heart, honey, and keep your confidence high.

Happy New Year!

blue
01-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I recovered the data the other day, Blue. SO that part is ok. What I should have done was called it 2 days ago when the computer was shutting down and restarting after I had been there to clean out a virus the previous day. Then the motherboard could have been diagnosed.

Just finished a yelling session with the client. I was prepared to let him vent and listen...I had his refund cheque made out and the number of a tech friend who could give a second opinion at my expense.

He kept yelling - of course he was upset - we talked about him borrowing my laptop til his computer was fixed, but he wanted to borrow the laptop AND have his Gateway back to where it was working before I wrecked it. (strongly implied).

My eyes are swollen, have shut off cell, can't get to sleep. I am sooo upset. :(

It's not the computer that bothers me it's the yelling.

Sorry you are having such a time.

If you recovered his data, you did your job! If his computer/MoBo was FUBAR its not your fault! Do not give him your laptop as a loaner!!@!

ETA: I wont know till monday afternoon what type of time I will have recovering pics off of a netbook that wont POST or BOOT.

Catty1
01-01-2010, 01:09 AM
I just took the computer back, along with the documents, and parked a few houses away with the car running...went through a few yards, and put the stuff on the doorstep.

I then came home (client is only 5 min from my house) and texted him that the stuff was there. He had texted "will publis in paper" but I ignored that. I am a Better Business Bureau member, and told him he could report me. I gave him the phone #.

A Facebook pal read about my wandering through snowy yards to sneak the computer back, and declared "Stealth Computer Repairs R Us" LOL!

I feel better now...I have literally dumped it off my plate, and left a note re: who could give him a second opinion.

Thanks for the support, guys. {{{hugs}}}

Medusa
01-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh for Pete's sake! This guy needs to get a grip already! You didn't commit murder, for crying out loud! These things happen. No one and nothing works perfectly every time. I know you're upset, Candace, but try not to let it color your new year. If it'll help, the planet Mercury, the winged footed messenger, went retrograde (it appears to be going backwards in the sky) right around Christmas day. Mercury is the planet of communication, movement, commerce, etc. and when it goes retrograde, (3 times a year for approximately 3 weeks at a time) everything goes wonky. Computers going haywire are almost the #1 complaint during this time. I burn my calendar in the fireplace every year at the stroke of midnight but before I do, I review the year. This year, every time Mercury went retro, my pc guy was here fixing my computer. Cars break down, cell phones lose info, mail gets lost, we say and hear the wrong thing. (That's probably why he said what he said and why you took it so hard.) It's "plod through" time. Flick this guy off your shoulder like the irritating little gnat that he is. Wishing you a much better day and definitely a much better 2010, Candace....

A candle for you: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9885072

Queen of Poop
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Totally not your fault. He's an idiot. Chalk it up to that and wipe the memory from your mind. My hard drive went belly up, my computer geek buddy managed to save my photos and documents for me and installed a new hard drive. I am eternally grateful to have those photos. Including the last ones I had of Sasha. He should be glad you were able to save his stuff, not like he could have done it.

Catty1
01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Ok, now he is really over the top. I texted him that I was looking for another computer for him. Not any more. He texted me saying he will sue me for damages and write the paper(one of our two local papers, they come out once a week).I am a BBB member, and gave him the phone # for it.He said paper is better, since "everyone should know you don't know what you're doing." I have many happy clients;I told him to go ahead.
I also said I was willing to work something out with him but not now, as he is sending threats. I told him to go ahead and sue. Then I did pull out my ace (which I didn't want to do earlier).

He was a worker at a glass place who had replaced my car windshield. I had to go back because the wipers didn't work - the boss guy found they had not been tightened down at all. Also, another client had come in that day with a door screen in a frame - it was new, and the frame was bent. The worker talking to him smiled and said "Ah, that's our rookie," and took the frame from the man, intending to make it right.

So..I added to my reply text 'should I write about loose windshield wipers or bent screen frames?' I said he could find someone else. I had hoped to take the high road, but this guy needed a wee smack upside the head, if only to realize that everyone makes mistakes, including him. Yes, this was a huge mistake. But it's a COMPUTER.

Meaning - people have had loved ones die over the holidays. Yes, this is upsetting for him - but get the big picture buddy!

Haven't heard a word since! (mind you it's been only 10 minutes lol).

DJFyrewolf36
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
You should tell him to get a better computer in the first place...OR since he is so high and mighty he can see if GATEWAY would be willing to help with his old POS.

Ive always told clients that any time something goes wrong with an off the shelf unit it is pot luck wether or not its going to be in any way fixable because you just can't get parts for old off the shelf machines and computers usually arent in any way covered by the manufacturer if they are over two yrs old.

Tell him to not buy a gateway next time...and shooting the messenger just means that in the future, NO ONE will look at his computer!

Catty1
01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah...even if the paper did print a letter, every tech in town is going to see it. He will NEVER be able to get help again.

This guy admitted he was computer illiterate...explaining low-end motherboard will just be Greek to him.

Thanks, all...

DJFyrewolf36
01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah...even if the paper did print a letter, every tech in town is going to see it. He will NEVER be able to get help again.

This guy admitted he was computer illiterate...explaining low-end motherboard will just be Greek to him.

Thanks, all...

I dealt with a client that threatened to howl to the moon when his $5000 paperweight refused to work because against the advice of three techs he got a mobo and paired it with a video card that was listed specifically not compatable. No shop in the area would even touch the thing after all of his complaining.
People who don't know computers tend to feel like they are being ripped off because its hard as a tech to actually SHOW that you are spending hours upon hours fixing something that is most likely the users fault...and if it isnt the user its the manufacturer. Both problems are equally annoying and almost equally impossible to fix! *HUGS*

Catty1
01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
After buddy there settled down, he said all he wanted was a working computer with his files in it. So I got a refurbished one, put his files in, dropped it off, and there we go. It cost about $50 more than what he paid me, including a 2 year replacement warranty, but it is SO worth it!

I will drop off a Windows disc and Dell drivers for him in the next day or two so he can take the whole mess to someone else if something happens!

Whew....will take me a few days to not fear my cell phone....

KYS
01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I think you went beyond the call of duty on this one.
I hope he is finally satisfied!!
Let him find somebody else in the future.
Not worth the aggravation!

phesina
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Well done, Candace. This guy sounds like a nightmare, and you are to be commended for your strength and professionalism in dealing with him. You have more fortitude than I would have had in such circumstances.

Now.. onward to bigger and better things. That bozo is SO last year! Last DECADE, even!!

A candle for you too: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9895088

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

carole
01-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Oh dear Candace, so sorry to hear about your troubles and woes, hopefully all is going to settle down now and you will feel happier and calm,thinking of you and wishing you a better start to the new year, take care and HUGS.:):love: