PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Humane Society to resume adoptions

Catty1
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091231/canada/canada_toronto_humane_society_adoptions713

Toronto Humane Society to resume adoptions

Thu Dec 31, 2:36 PM

CALGARY (CBC) - The Toronto Humane Society will resume animal adoptions on Monday, six weeks after the shelter was closed down and several senior staff members were arrested on charges of animal cruelty.

About 100 cats and 20 dogs will be available for adoption next week, the society said in a release Thursday.

We are excited to be restarting adoptions at this location and that these animals are being given the opportunity to find new ... homes, Ian McConachie, a spokesman for the society, said Thursday.

The society's River Street headquarters is being investigated by the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA). The shelter was opened to about 30 employees on Tuesday after the society obtained a court order last week saying it could resume operations.

The shelter had been closed since Nov. 26, when OSPCA officials raided the facility. It is unclear when the OSPCA's ongoing probe will conclude.

We will continue to work with the Ontario SPCA to place as many animals as possible up for adoption, McConachie said in a statement.

The OSPCA alleges many of the animals were neglected, including dozens left to die in their cages without proper care and nutrition.

During the November raid, society president Tim Trow, general manager Gary McCracken, head veterinarian Dr. Steve Sheridan, supervisor Andy Bechtel and manager Romeo Bernadino were charged with animal cruelty.

Charges against Trow, McCracken, Bechtel and Bernadino also include obstruction of a peace officer.

The Toronto Humane Society has dismissed the OSPCA's charges, calling them politically motivated. There has been a long-running feud between the two animal-care organizations.

The humane society has also decried the public nature of the OSPCA's investigation. The OSPCA has been very public in its investigation, holding news conferences, providing regular updates to reporters and conducting a media tour of the shelter.

phesina
12-31-2009, 07:04 PM
I hope everyone will be watching them like hawks, to make sure they are running it properly this time.

Catty1
12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Pat, the old "they" are not running it now...they are the ones facing charges! I think SPCA volunteers are still there...not sure how they are restructuring the place.

phesina
01-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm glad the old "they" are out and are facing charges (if too late for the animals that suffered because of them). Are there some dependable, trustworthy people running it now?

Catty1
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Here's an update, part of another article (click link):

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Toronto+Humane+Society+reopens+adoptions/2402100/story.html

Some staff were permitted to re-enter the building on Dec. 29 after an Ontario Superior Court judge ruled that the employees must be allowed back in. Animal care and treatment at the shelter, however, remains under the direction of the Ontario SPCA.

phesina
01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Candace. Please keep us posted as to how things go there now. I trust that the five employees charged with animal cruelty are not among the ones who are allowed back in there.. ? I'm glad that the Ontario SPCA is running things.

Catty1
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I believe that the "underlings" were allowed back in. They also had serious concerns, but I guess it took a bit of leaked info to get the OSPCA to raid the place.

SO tragic for the animals before...but now things are better, and let's hope they stay that way!:love:

catmandu
01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
The saddest story was the Poor Stray Cat who got out, was caught in a humane trap and then starved to death.
You would think that didnt happen over night, and I wonder why noone heard this poor Cat crying out in fear , pain and hunger and thirst.
No one deserves to die like that.:(:(:(