PDA

View Full Version : Cat Purse?

Tora Oni
12-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Okay so I'm wondering how many of you guys would want a purse made of your cat's trimmed fur, You know from a grooming session? I knit so and anyone who knows about knitting and Felting, which is the technic they used on the purses on Animal Planet's Cats 101 it was for Persians one of the first 3 episodes I think. I love watching Cats 101 and Dog 101.

If you did want one would it be only one cat's trimmings or combination of two or more cat's trimmings.

For the "eww" people, why is it a turn off? I mean we as people wear wool, alpaca, leather and even some who wear fur coats.

I don't have an issue with wool or alpaca because its shavings not the hide of the animal. I also think getting a purse made from my cats own fur would be wonderful especially if I can make it myself. Since one that fur would go to waste if left at the groomer's and now I can turn it into a keepsake. Though I know many people think its a bit creepy if I thought my hair would be any good, I might think that be cool too.

Oh you knitted that purse? What kinda yarn did you use?

Stormy's

...Stormy's?

My cat's fur.

:eek:

I forgot I meant to add the LINK:
Cat Purse (http://cattyshackcreations.com/09/)

Please look under About for Photo Gallery

GILL
12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
I think that it would be a great keep sake. And you are right, I know with our CREW you could make a sweater. Bart alone could give you enough for a pair of gloves, every time he is groomed.
What a great way to remember them after they have passed. For us it would truly be a coat of many colors.

RICHARD
12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
can you post a pic of your purse?

that sounds like it takes some work!:)

moosmom
12-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Sure, why not? I have clippings of the cats who have passed though my doors and stayed. It's not an "eewwww!!!" thing to me. If I could afford it, and had enough fur to have one made, I'd do it in a heartbeat!! What a conversation piece it would be!!!!

Of course, I'd have an issue with MooShoo, seeing that he has no fur. Hmmmmmm, that I'll have to think about.

happylabs
12-31-2009, 09:02 AM
I saw that on Cats 101 and thought it was soooo COOL! What an awesome way to recycle. The purses were gorgeous. I saved a bunch of hair from my crew back in the fall and have it in a ziploc baggie. Not sure what I am going to do with it or why I even saved it. :D There definitely is not a pet hair shortage in my house with 4 cats.

catmandu
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe a little Blanket made of Found Cat Furr, as it would keep the memory of Our Cats who passed away in the memories of the Found Cats.:love::love:
Or would the scent fade away!!
:love::love:
A purse would be a good idea, or a Photo Album for the men.:love::love:

Tora Oni
12-31-2009, 10:15 AM
can you post a pic of your purse?

that sounds like it takes some work!:)

I'm sorry I don't have one yet, I was just mimicking if I did. I have been taking knitting classes and they do offer classes for spinning...so you can make you own hand spun yarn. I have looked at the prices of hand spun yarn and even though I would really like to buy some...12 bucks per skein is too much for me since to make a nice scarf it takes me about 4 with the pattern, width and length. So it rack up to 48 just for the yarn itself. So I don't doubt the 280-500 buck purse, felting is a lot of work. Though Since I know some people and if I ever want to pursue it I think I could work it out making my own.

Tora Oni
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
You know I'm not sure if any one would want to felt a blanket or sweater, probably leave it un-felted so its not stiff, But a cat fur I bet it be so soft and warm. Now I might be able to kinda feel what my cat's coat would be like.

Unfortunately for me my last cat never got any trimmings, no groomers he was a fine domestic short hair, who I just never needed that, though my hair was donated to locks of love one time, the lady I got to said that my hair was really fine and since its considered "virgin" hair meaning no dyes or anything besides simple shampoo and conditioner, that my hair was acceptable. So, that being like 5-7 years ago I think their has to be somebody with my black hair. I donated twice so hopefully there are 2, and black hair is probably not donated as much since its probably not as common, plus I have tons of African Americans using relaxers to get the type of hair I've got, which is all Indian. Not to mention teens/young folk dying their hair black.... :p

Some day for sure I will have Long hair cats which I will have groomed so I might have a keepsake of their glorious coat.

slick
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think I would want a purse, but I would love a scarf made from Max's fur. I have a whole bag of it but I need to find someone who can spin it first. Know anyone?

Tora Oni
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Slick

I was reading It looks like they prefer people to put the shavings in a box they said the bag can make the fur get tangled. I bet that goes for transportation.

If you look up for a Yarn Shop, just a store completely dedicated to yarn may have some information about some locals who may do spinning and may do it for you for a fee, and probably not charge you as much for the work since its only spinning and then that means you would be able to personalize it.

http://www.dailyknitter.com/shops.html

Husky_mom
12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
that would be so cool!!.. IŽd love one...

although it would be a dog fur one..lol... you could make a kingsize throw with my crew.. lol

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm with Isabel on this one. I have/had shorthair cats. But my dogs have enough fur to clothe an army!! And with Zoee's coloring I'd probably get a nice grey out of her fur. :D I'd love to have a scarf made of her fur. I guess I should start keeping the fur I brush off of her. Bruce is going to think I'm crazy! LOL But once she's not with us anymore I will cherish it. Ok, this will be my New Years Resolution.....to save dog fur. Oh my, I think I'm losing it! :D :D

Medusa
12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm w/Slick on this one. I would've loved a scarf of my RB Puddy's fur. It was so soft. She was a long hair Calico who never let me groom her and yet she remained tangle free all her life. My RB Pidge was a long hair tortie/Maine Coon mix and her fur was a tangled mess even w/regular grooming but I still would've liked a scarf made w/her fur. Unfortunately, it's too late now. Specs is a long hair Maine Coon who has very soft fur, too. It's definitely something to think about. It would give me comfort to wear it after he's gone to the Bridge, which hopefully won't be for many, many years to come. What a great idea! :)

Medusa
12-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok, this will be my New Years Resolution.....to save dog fur. Oh my, I think I'm losing it! :D :D

It's about time you crossed over to "our" side. LOL ;)

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2009, 06:41 PM
It's about time you crossed over to "our" side. LOL ;)

Oh, I've been there. I come and go. :p

Tora Oni
12-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah the reason why short hairs animals don't work is because you need to be able to clip the hair off them and not brush it. Like I would say spring would be best right when their fur starts to shed more...then you just bath them shave them down and then you get the clean fresh fur, that is what they want, but I'm thinking on the whole brushed idea and if its possible to wash the fur after its been removed, though I can see how hard it would be to keep from tangling. They really like the fur to be clean, I think its something to do with the spinning process though I don't know much about it.

The easiest is to find a local cat/dog groomer and see if they would just put that cat's/dog's fur in an old shoe box and seal that up until you get to making it..

I think the scarf Idea is so cool too.

columbine
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Smudge's fur is so long and soft that I've been saving his combed fur for a few years now. I want to keep collecting it until there's enough to spin and knit into a scarf. But it won't smell like him, it'll smell like cedar, because I keep a cedar-oil-soaked cork in the container to keep clothes moths away.

Love, Columbine