PDA

View Full Version : PT prayers for my Hobbes; He's gone

kitten645
12-30-2009, 12:55 AM
:(Woke up this morning to Hobbes howling on the floor at the base of my bed. He always sleeps on the bed. Picked him up and put him on the bed and it was obvious he was in pain. Felt him around and he howled when I touched his right back leg. Didn't seem like the hip. Hobbes is um..portly so I thought that might be it. He's not a climber at 18lbs but I always feared when he jumped down from any height it would be his front skinny legs to be the problem.
Waited till 9am for the vet to open. He drank some water and I took him to potty but he couldn't stand. Vet couldn't take me (damn holidays!) and suggested other possible solutions. I went to another vet that told me I could see me at 1. Possibly earlier if I wanted to wait in the waiting room. Hobbes was clearly in pain as he didn't eat and let me pick him up and put him in his carrier which normally requires towels, gloves and the element of surprise.:(
Long story short, xrays (I didn't think it was brokken as he doesn't climb). Ankle swollen (who knew cats had ankles?) Bad breathe. Diagnosis..abcessed tooth infected. Bacteria in the blood steam. First affected is the joints. Sort of an arthritic thing. Got to take a fluid sample from the joint now that he is sedated for the xray. So far totaling $700. They don't do dental at this vet and call my original vet to schedule the tooth removal. End of day, $900 to figure out what's wrong and a likely $1000 to remove the offending tooth.
My real sadness is how puny my baby feels six hours later. He's still in his carrier. Unheard of!:eek: He's not eaten, drank or pee'd since last night. Not a purr to be heard. :( From my big purr monster. :(
I just want him to full Hobbsterness. :( Talk about bad timing. There's never a good time but rent is due in two days and I'm just scraping by with really crap credit. They were nice enough to do a three month payment plan but that's big bucks I don't know where it will come from.:confused:
LOA do your stuff.
Thanks for your positive thoughts! :love::love:

Medusa
12-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Oh dear, poor Hobbes and poor you, too. I know, it's as though cats' bad timing is built right into their DNA; they get sick on weekends and holidays. At least you were able to get it handled, though, poor guy. So, is it $1000 on top of the $900 or $1000 total?

A candle for Hobbes: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9870397

catmandu
12-30-2009, 09:30 AM
We are praying for Poor Hobbes.:love::love:
We wish you had Our Vet who often reduces the cost for the Found Ctas as he owns his own clinic and can set his own prices.
We are praying that Big Hobbes is home soon.
The Vet Bills may be high , but Our Pets are worth their weight in gold.:love::love:
Everyone says I am a fool for bothering wioth Michael at 18, but like Hobbes , hes a Dear Friend and worth it.:love::love::love:

Karen
12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Poor Hobbes, prayers on the way.

Anikaca77
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Prays on the way for Hobbes!

Melissa

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh no! :( I am so sorry Hobbes is not feeling well, and that it happened right when you didn't need it to. But when do we "need" our babies to get sick? NEVER!!
Taz had a tooth pulled about 4 years ago. I don't remember how much it cost, but maybe you should check out other vets. I know our vet in Concord is much cheaper than the one we were going to in Walnut Creek. I don't know which vet you go to, but what about just asking at Bishop Ranch? I'm not sure of their pricing, but I've heard it is a good vet. Or I could even ask my vet. I'm not too far from you. Let me know what I can do to help you.

Hugs to you and Hobbes.

slick
12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm so very sorry about Hobbs. No, there's never a good time for them to be sick and in pain. The last time Max had a dental was in 2008 and it was only about $400 and some change for the full dental - he didn't need any extractions at that point. Then again, I'm in KA-NA-DA!

Prayers on the way for dear Hobbs and you Kitten.

astrid
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Prayers for little Hobbes and for you as well, I hope things get better soon..

katladyd
12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I have spent between $1,200 and 1,500 on both my cats when they have been sick in the past. People who say you shouldn't spend that much on your cats have obviously never loved, or been loved by, one.:love: You really have to pity them. Prayers for Hobbes are being sent.

Pinot's Mom
12-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Prayers for poor Hobbes! :love:
Hope this can be worked out quickly! Let us know!

Cataholic
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Prayers for Hobbes! Let us know how he is feeling afterwards.

GILL
12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Poor baby. our prayers are with you and Hobbes. I know the feeling last spring we went through 3 vets and over 1300.00 to find out too late that ET had cancer.

kitten645
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you for all your good wishes. Please keep them coming as we are not out of the woods yet by a long shot. I can't stand to see my baby so miserable. :( I think the infection has gone too far. What a way to end the year/decade. $2000 in the hole and WORSE a puny kitty that I love with all my heart :(

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Aww, I am so sorry Claudia. I lit a candle for you and Hobbes.

phesina
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Prayers and good healing wishes and energies coming from us to Hobbes and you. And a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9875045

Catty1
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Hobbes, take your meds like a good boy and get well soon. Your Mom is so worried and loves you tons!:love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
12-31-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Hobbes.:( I know too well how expensive a dental can be for cats. Storm had an abscessed tooth in Oct. and also had to have some teeth extracted. Sunny had to have a few teeth extracted in Dec. and he also had a dental. I also thought that he had an abscess but it was cancer.:(

I hope that Hobbes dental and extraction will go well and that he'll recover quickly and start feeling better very soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

kitten645
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Well he made it thru the night and day. He just looks miserable. They upped his meds. He can't go under anesthia with such a big infection. He won't eat or drink or go potty nearly 36 hours now :( The vet said we'd have to just wait and see. What a sucky NYE :( I just hope he pulls thru. I was a wreck at work today. I'm glad I'm off tomorrow and will spend the whole day with him. My poor big guy. :(:love:

slick
12-31-2009, 08:41 PM
LES....I'm so, so sorry. I don't know what else to say except keep the faith. My heart goes out to you on this very special night. :love::love:

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh Claudia, my heart is breaking for you. :( I will just hope Hobbes pulls through for you. And may 2010 bring you happiness.

krazyaboutkatz
12-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Claudia, I'm so sorry to hear that your boy is so sick.:( I hope that he'll start feeling better soon. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
01-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I was hoping for a good update this morning. How is our dear Hobbes doing and how are you?

Catty1
01-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Prayers for dear Hobbes and for you! Have you tried the usual food stuff - stinky salmon or baby food?

HUGS!:love::love::love::love:

Randi
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear Hobbes is so sick. :(

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts that he'll get better soon.

(((hugs)))

phesina
01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Prayers and love for Hobbes and you.

momcat
01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear that Hobbes is so sick. Many prayers are being prayed for your sweet boy to recover quickly and completely. Sending him lots of get well lovies if he's up to receiving them. Please keep us updated on how Hobbes is doing?

DJFyrewolf36
01-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Prayers on the way for Hobbes! *gentle pets* to him and *HUGS* to you!

kitten645
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. A day of LES here. No change. He's just sleeping. Giving him lots of loves but trying not to bother him. :( I love him so much and it's breaking my heart to see him like this. Please send continued prayers for my big guy (vet weighed him at 18lbs!)
Claudia

krazyaboutkatz
01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that there's been no change.:( I'm hoping for a New Year's miracle and sending lots more prayers and positive thoughts his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catty1
01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I hope sleep will help him heal, and that the meds kick in soon. Hugs and prayers to you and to sweet Hobbes. :love::love:

kitten645
01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Hobbes went to the Bridge this morning :( My heart is broken and shattered to a million pieces. I can't type much LES. Fate is cruel. 1/2/2010 1AM. RIP my big guy, my Hobsty, It's alright now mama. I loved you more than you could know. :(:(:(:(:(

Medusa
01-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Hobbes went to the Bridge this morning :( My heart is broken and shattered to a million pieces. I can't type much LES. Fate is cruel. 1/2/2010 1AM. RIP my big guy, my Hobsty, It's alright now mama. I loved you more than you could know. :(:(:(:(:(

I'm so sorry. Try to think of it as a kindness that his illness is finished and he's now at peace. (((HUGS))) :love:

moosmom
01-02-2010, 08:02 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Hobbes. You and Hobbes will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I've lit a candle for you. I'm sure there are MANY people here that know exactly what you're going through, including myself.

Moesha
01-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh dear! I am so sorry and so sad for you. Please accept the comfort and support from those around you that care, including here at PT. It does help. Hugs.

Randi
01-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm so sorry you have lost your beautiful Hobbes! :( You did everything you could for him and I'm sure he knew that. Please take comfort in that he lived a long, happy life with you. :) He is at peace now, and not suffering. I know you are, though. :(

Rest in peace, dear Hobbes - you will never be forgotten. :love:

(((hugs)))

Pinot's Mom
01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP dear Hobbes, Godspeed to the Bridge, and Peace to your Mom.:(

Barbara
01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Hobbes. It all went by far too fast:(

catmandu
01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
We are so sorry to hear that Hobbes has passd away.
Its always sad when Our Ctas are no longer with us, but Hobbes is now getting his wings of silver and gold and will jhoin the Awesome Angels Army and travel the world over in love and comapnionship.
He will drop by and see how you are doing, he will never forget the love that you shared.
That is Forever.
And Hoibbes will fing just the place in Paradise where you will reunite and see all the best places on Earth with you, toogether once more Furrever.
One Fine Day.:love:

Cataholic
01-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Know that our hearts break with you. I am so very sorry. RIP, big boy, you are much loved.

jennielynn1970
01-02-2010, 01:20 PM
So sorry to be reading this. Play hard at The Bridge, dear Hobbes. You are all better and healthy now.

HUGS to you!

Taz_Zoee
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh no! Claudia, I am so so sorry. I am sure Taz met him up there and is showing him around.
Please let me know if you need anything. Hugs to you...

RIP Hobbes

phesina
01-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh, I am so very sorry to read this. My deepest condolences to you, Claudia, who love Hobbes so much and have shared so much with him.

Rest in peace, dearest Hobbes. You are free of pain now, and you and your Meowmie will be together furrever. God be with you all.

slick
01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss Kitten. :(:(:(

pomtzu
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
RIP dear Hobbes. :love: You will be missed by many.

astrid
01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Oh no!! I'm so sorry about Hobbes :(
Big hugs and peace to you Claudia.

RIP Big Guy:love:

katladyd
01-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, I know only too well your pain.:( The love you shared with Hobbes will never die and he will always be with you in spirit, still loving you and watching over you. I am so sorry that Hobbes had to leave, I hope you feel peace very soon.:love:

Queen of Poop
01-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Hugs.:love:

Catty1
01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I am SO sorry to hear about Hobbes. How sad! I hope his passing was peaceful, and that the vet can give you some answers as to what happened. :(

Huge prayers for you and your baby.:love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
01-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Claudia, I'm so sorry to hear about Hobbe's passing.:( Now he's at peace and pain free up at the Bridge. I'm sure that both my RB Pepper and RB Starr were there to greet him. RIP sweet boy.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Vermontcat
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your Hobbes has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.:(
Sending hugs your way.

Donnaj4962
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I am so sorry to read this update. May Hobbes play hard and painfree at the RB bridge. He will be met by many other PT babies who will show him around.

Hobbes, let your Meowmie know she did all that she could for you and that you miss her also. Keep watch over her as she is hurting real bad.

God Bless. Donna and her furbabies, Tabby and Sashie

kitten645
01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm still so distraught. Four days of LES takes it's toll. I blame the vet, myself and the almighty dollar for all this. I'll try to come back and explain in case it helps anyone else to hear what happened. It was all too fast and all too slow. At least there's peace in knowing he's not suffering. That was the worse part. miss you my Hobster :(
Claudia

Catty1
01-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Claudia, I am sure we want to hear what happened - but only when you are ready.

I gather that the vet might have done some things if more money was available earlier, and that time ran out on getting the extra to help Hobbes. And that it totally totally unfair and hurts the worst, I think.

How old was Hobbes? I have looked for stats and pics of him, but didn't find any. Calvin must be devastated.

HUGS to you!!!:love::love::love:

catmandu
01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
At the Eternal Babies Angels Fly In Movie Party Hobbes was given the best seat , and was first in the Snack Bar and Warming Tables!
Hes going to have a Great Job as a Awesome Angels fiding Delis so all the Awesome Angels Army would have a place where All will have enough to eat.:)
Its a tough job, but we have faith in Hobbes!!:cool:
And you will have Great Meals together in Paradise when you are reunited.
One Fine Day.:love:

Kirsten
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm so very sorry! :(

R.I.P. beautiful Hobbes!

Kirsten

trayi52
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
So sorry to hear about Hobbes, he must have been a very special cat. I know it is so hard to lose one of our beloveds.

My heart is with you.

Willie:(

Killearn Kitties
01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
I am so sorry that you have lost your precious Hobbes. :(

kitten645
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Miss you every minute of every day my angel Hobbes:love:

phesina
02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Big hugs to you. I am so sorry you are suffering so much from your grief.