PDA

View Full Version : How much is your dog food?

Candy317
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
how many dogs do you have?
what do you feed?
cost?
how many pounds?
how long does it last?

Candy317
12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
what do you feed? innova small bite dry kibble /might switch to taste of the wild or california natural
cost? $25 for innova/ it'll be $22 for totw and $27 for cn
how many pounds? 15lbs
how long does it last? a month and a half

Indigo Bully Connection
12-29-2009, 02:38 PM
6... for a week I'll have a 7th
what do you feed?
Blue Buffalo... not too happy with it I'm thinking about switching back to Dick Van Pattens
cost?
how many pounds?
how long does it last?
1 week

caseysmom
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I have been feeding Kirkland chicken and rice because the ingredients are great for the price.

Costco recently got a new dog food made especially for them called Nature's domain, its a salmon and sweet potatoe. The dogs are doing well on this and they love it since it is stinky:D

Animalhouse26
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
We JUST Switched to Premium Edge.. Salmon, Potato and Vegetable formula.
35lb bag
35$
And I feed 3 dogs. This is my first bag..So I am not sure how long it will last..as it is higher quality as what I was feeding before. And so I feed less. :)

caseysmom
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I just realized I didn't really answer the question

The kirkland chicken and rice is 21.99 for 40 lbs
The Nature's domain is 27.99 for 35 lbs.

Freedom
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
You need to keep in mind that a high quality food is going to cost more; AND keep your pet healthier which will save you in vet expenses down the road. It will also save you in those travel costs to and from the vet and save you the worry when something goes wrong.

A good food is not going to prevent anything every happening to your pet, though.

The foods I use ARE expensive. I see improvement in my dogs' coats, eyes, and activity level.

Dr Harvey's Veg to Bowl, a 5 pound bag feeds my 4 for a month and costs close to $50. (It is dehydrated, you add water, so they eat much more than the 5 pounds).

To that I must add the protein and the oil.

Marlin's eyes cleared up in 3 weeks once I made the switch.

apbtmom76
12-29-2009, 03:30 PM
how many dogs do you have? four
what do you feed? Phoenix, Phoebe and Orion all get Diamond Lamb & Rice, Penny gets Canidae ALS Grain free
cost? a 20lb bag of Diamon Lamb & Rice is $16.00, the 40lb bag is $27.00, Penny's is more expensive, a 5lb bag of her Canidae is nearly $12.00, a 15lb bag is $30.00
how many pounds? I usually buy the DIamond in 20lb bags at a time and the Canidae in the 5lb bag
how long does it last? The 20lb bag for the boy, Phoenix & Oroin, it lasts right at 3 weeks, Phoebe a 20lb bag lasts almost 6 weeks and penny a 5lb bag of her Canidae lasts about a month.

good questions :D

Taz_Zoee
12-29-2009, 03:38 PM
how many dogs do you have? 2
what do you feed? Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice
cost? $40 but I try to get it on sale
how many pounds? 35
how long does it last? about 6 weeks

pomtzu
12-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I feed 2 and the same brand as Freedom. I just started it fairly recently, and my first 2lb bag lasted almost a month. Since then I have bought the 5lb bag and they are still on that one.

In addition to that, you have to figure in the cost of your protein such as chicken or hamburg or eggs. I buy the meats at Sam's and try to get them when they are reduced for quick sale and have to be sold by a certain date. I get real bargains that way.

The pups have also shown improvement in their coats and general overall activity. No more itchies either.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I have 2 dogs.
I feed them both Nutro Natural Choice, Sadie senior formula, Rita Lamb 7 Rice
A 35lb bag costs about $40
It lasts for about 6 weeks for the both of them (2 seperate bags)
ETA: I also add 1 pump of salmon oil to their dry kibble. Makes their coat really soft and shiny!

amberlynn
12-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Atta boy 14.99 for a 50 pound bag with four dogs it last bout 2-3 wks

MonicanHonda
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Before raw,

Chicken Soup for the Puppy Soul
I bought the 18lbs bag but don't know the price. The 35 lbs costs about 32 dollars (39 at Pet Supplies Plus). I honestly don't know how long it lasted. Hahaha...

As for raw, for a month, it should cost us about 32-40 dollars depending on how expensive I go with meat...

*LabLoverKEB*
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
You need to keep in mind that a high quality food is going to cost more; AND keep your pet healthier which will save you in vet expenses down the road. It will also save you in those travel costs to and from the vet and save you the worry when something goes wrong.

AMEN!!!
I used to work at a grocery store as a bagger when I was in high school (all of two years ago) and it really saddened me to see customers buying foods like 'Kibbles N Bits', 'Iams' (although I'm not sure if that's a bad one??), 'Ole Roy' etc etc. I've actually looked at the ingredients on the bags of each different brands, and it doesn't look good.:(
So moral of the story is grocery store brands although are dirt cheap, have dirt for ingredients.:(

MonicanHonda
12-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, Iams is icky. They used to do creepy tests on animals... these animals could have lived after these horrible tests, but they killed them anyways. :( Plus the ingredients aren't anything to be happy with.

If you want a good book to read, "Food Pets Die For". I got it for Christmas. It'll really open your eyes...

Seravieve
12-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Three Dogs
Blue Buffalo: Chicken and Brown Rice or Fish and Sweet Potato (Eli loves fishy kibble!)
30lb bag... Lasts 3.5 weeks or so.
Costs $43 on sale at Petsmart... but we've been using manufacturer and store coupons to get it cheaper... Got them down to $27.50 a bag last time we bought 4 bags.

kokopup
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
one dog
Nutro Chicken ,rice, & Oatmeal (sensitive stomach formula)
35 lb
$44 at Petmart
3 weeks

mruffruff
12-30-2009, 07:28 AM
I have two dogs. I feed them Precise with a spoonful of canned. A 15 lb bag lasts about a month. It costs $26 a bag.

One dog weighs 20 lbs and gets 1 cup; the other weighs 50 lbs and gets 1and 3/4 cups once a day. Both are over 12 years old so their activity level is less than young dogs would be.

cloverfdx
12-30-2009, 08:17 AM
how many dogs do you have? 4
what do you feed? RAW
cost? About $20 to feed 4 for the week. Maybe a bit more when i need to stock up on Tinny's Kangaroo. I always have food in th freezer & use that too so i am not always buying dog food.
how many pounds? Hmm i go by Kilo's, i get 4kg's (2kg's of each) of chicken necks and beef chunks for $12.
how long does it last? 4 Kilo's last 4 days :).

AllAmericanPUP
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
how many dogs do you have? 4
what do you feed? Diamond for the big dogs, wellness for henry
cost? diamond is $26, wellness is $15
how many pounds? diamond is 40lbs and wellness is 8lbs(i think,maybe 6)
how long does it last? both last about 2 1/2 weeks

wolfsoul
12-31-2009, 01:31 AM
how many dogs do you have? 2
what do you feed? Orijen Regional Red
cost? Expensive, $65
how many pounds? 29 lb
how long does it last? If I were to feed it alone, about a week. I mix it with 'slump' so I can get two weeks out of it. I'd like to find another food but am so sick of switching kibbles lol. I wish I could afford to feed just raw, but here in this valley it's just impossible when my dogs eat as much as they do and the food just isn't available in bulk. I've spent hundreds a month trying to feed raw to just one dog.

wolf_Q
12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
how many dogs do you have? 3
what do you feed? Wellness lamb and salmon
cost? I think it's about $54 and I get it for around $44 with my discount
how many pounds? 30 lbs
how long does it last? About a month? It seems to not be lasting as long right now, the dogs like to eat more in the winter.