PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Lady's Human
12-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I really shouldn't be reading John Ringo's writing and having "March of Cambreadth" running through my head while at work.....

(Add your own, and have fun!)

joycenalex
12-29-2009, 05:29 AM
google is my friend in this case....library here i come....thanks LH

Lady's Human
12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
If you're going to check out his books, I'd suggest "There Will be Dragons" for starters, or the Posleen series.

It's Sci-Fi, heavy on the military. The Vorpal Blade series is heavy on HARD science and military.

His books tend to be on the rough side, definitely not PG-13 rated material.

Karen
12-29-2009, 08:11 AM
But he's a fairly nice guy in person! :)

Random thought - with my hearing impairment, it's often hard to tell whether that noise is wind outside, or an airplane going overhead

smokey the elder
12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I had a random thought but it went to get coffee; it's COLD here!:D

Cataholic
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I just ate...am I really still hungry?

pomtzu
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I really should go try to start my car that I haven't run in almost 2 weeks, but it's too windy and cold to walk out to it.........

ETA: I had to do it afterall. I didn't want any surprises when I finally need it. Started right up - no hesitation!
Dang - it miserably bitter cold outside.........

Catherinedana
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
My Florida fingers are not happy in 43 degree weather. . .

Can't get my hands warm!! I keep getting up from my desk to run the hot water over them!! :rolleyes:

Freedom
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
HOW do I explain to 4 demanding doggies that 26 degrees with a wind chill of 3 :eek: is NOT a day for walkies? :rolleyes:

Catherinedana
12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
26 degrees with a wind chill of 3 :eek:

Oh my, time for a trip to FLorida. 43 degrees is not so bad after all.

Freedom
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
43 degrees is not so bad after all.

One of the great things about PT - we aim to help one another feel better! :D:D

Karen
12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
My Florida fingers are not happy in 43 degree weather. . .

Can't get my hands warm!! I keep getting up from my desk to run the hot water over them!! :rolleyes:

I recommend mittens. If you NEED to type, you can get the split mitten/gloves - though they don't work for me, because as Paul has long maintained, I have "chickadee hands" - I always thought they were plenty big, but apparently not!

If you must do gloves, put a penny in each one. Then it gets warm from the heat of your hand, and you can then slide it into each finger for warmth!

I am North of Freedom, so our "feels like" temperature is supposed to be well below zero tonight. The winds were gusting impressively today, though an inexperienced driver didn't know how to handle it and nearly overcompensated into my lane. When I figured it was safe enough to pass him, I glanced over and realized it was a teenage driver, maybe the first time on the highway - he looked sufficiently panicked!

Asiel
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I wonder if this cold snap will break anytime soon and if we might have a balmy winter for a change.

CountryWolf07
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm currently thinking... the Kennedy Center Honors is pretty good night!

Grace
12-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm currently thinking... the Kennedy Center Honors is pretty good night!

It was wonderful!! This is one show neither of us wants to miss. Such memories -

For Johnny Carson - the University of Nebraska Marching Band

For Jacques d'Amboise - his son and daughter danced

Jimmy Stewart - the Air Force Academy Glee Club

Grace
12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Speaking of dragons -

From the book - The Dragons Are Singing Tonight - by Jack Prelutsky

Once They All Believed In Dragons

Once they all believed in dragons
When the world was fresh and young,
We were woven into legends,
Tales were told and songs were sung,
We were treated with obeisance,
We were honored, we were feared,
Then one day they stopped believing--
On that day, we disappeared.

Now they say our time is over,
Now they say we've lived our last,
Now we're treated with derision
Where we once ruled unsurpassed.
We must make them all remember,
In some way we must reveal
That our spirit lives forever--
We are dragons! We are real!

Lilith Cherry
12-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I love the poem - but then I love Dragons and living in China , see plenty of them!

DJFyrewolf36
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Im currently thinking about my car...and hoping beyond hope that its an easy fix. And the 3 miles to and from work that I get to ride on a bike for three weeks and how much wieght Ill loose!

And the Rose bowl...definately the Rose bowl...lol

Suki Wingy
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm really feeling sort of down because of complications that have arisen concerning my trip.

RICHARD
12-31-2009, 07:51 AM
As usual, the weather will be pretty good for New Year's day, prompting everyone to wonder about the weather here for the rest of the year.

Let me remind you!
Earthquakes, wildfires, winds, car chases and really good looking women.;)

Lady's Human
12-31-2009, 08:31 AM
I was out in california (once, never again!)where I hear they have it all
They got riots, fires, mud slides
They've got sushi in the mall
Water bars, brontasaurs, chinese modern lust
Shake and bake life with the quake
The secrets in the crust

:p

RICHARD
12-31-2009, 08:37 AM
I was out in california (once, never again!)where I hear they have it all
They got riots, fires, mud slides
They've got sushi in the mall
Water bars, brontasaurs, chinese modern lust
Shake and bake life with the quake
The secrets in the crust

:p

LOL,

We had two shakers near the border in the last few days.:eek:;)
And yes, we do have dinosaurs!

http://www.cabazondinosaurs.com/CabazonDinoHistory.html

Karen
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Did you know we (Massachusetts) have the only dinosaur tail print fossil? We do!

Dang, dang, dang, I hate this. My pupils are still very dilated, I had an eye exam today, they must have out the drops in at about 10 am - I wanna be able to focus again, now!

Karen
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Yay, just FYI - I can see again, and my pupils are finally back to normal!

Lilith Cherry
01-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Good for you Karen, I loathe that inability to focus!

I got my foster dog Fifi ( a poodle?) shaved yesterday.... now she is sulking and shivering even though I turned on the heater and bought her a beautiful new jacket! Poor Fifi:rolleyes:

blue
01-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks to a guitar thread on another forum I decided to pull out my bass gear and tune up my Ashbory bass and see if I can still do a decent walking bass line. I got the amp and cabinet out but I could only find one cord, I need 2.

Lady's Human
01-08-2010, 02:56 AM
I love living out in the boonies.

Just before I went to bed this morning there were about 50 turkeys out in the yard, just passing through.

Lady took exception to them.....

joycenalex
01-08-2010, 04:59 AM
i'm gonna need thermal underwear under my sweatpants to shovel out the driveway this morning......i am soooooo over snow

smokey the elder
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
It's snowing here, very lightly.

joycenalex
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
.... shovel out the driveway this morning......i am soooooo over snow....
took me an hour to do the sidewalk, front porch and driveway. we got by my measurement 5 inches (in the middle of the driveway).
i'm really over it! :p

Lady's Human
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
You know hot dogs are BAD when:

The dog refuses to touch them.

Even WITHOUT the pills. :eek:

Karen
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow, that's bad! Peanut butter do the trick?

Lady's Human
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Nope. Had to pill the puppy the hard way. PB and Cheese both fail.

I thought it was sad, though, that she wouldn't touch the hotdogs without the pills. AFTER she had the pills!

Karen
01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Awww, poor Lady. Give her a snuggle from me, okay?

Random thought - how annoying is it that both Home Depot and Lowe's carry the exact same product, with only one choice of manufacturer in a whole category? Neither had the pneumatic door closer with the right measurements, never min the kind of closer I wanted. Gonna hafta call other stores tomorrow. What's the point of a store that huge carrying such little choice? Sheesh!

Suki Wingy
01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
I am in Wales. :)

RICHARD
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I thought it was sad, though, that she wouldn't touch the hotdogs without the pills. AFTER she had the pills!

Try this...When you stand over the dog and do the "Good Googie" schtick they KNOW something evil is afoot. :eek:

I had some practice with this method.

Chunk up the dog, the one from the fridge, not Lady!, hide the pill in one of the chunks and sit down.

The scent should entice her to check out what cooks. Hold your hand out with the spiked chunk mixed in with others.

OR?

Hold off on feeding her and MAKE her hungry. I know she's a 'Lady' and may not wolf down her food?:eek::confused:

Good Luck!

pomtzu
01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Some supposedly intelligent people make the most ridiculous statements. :mad:

kokopup
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
i have no experience with giving pills to any dog other than Koko. I did not know that giving pills was a problem. I usually have a hand full of pills that I have to give her every morning. I usually just walk up pry her mouth open and dump about 5 pills on the back of the tongue and then I close her mouth. Every once in a while I have to give a pill or two an assist because they stick on her tongue. While holding her mouth open, I push the pill on down her throat, with my finger, then close her mouth. I usually hold her mouth shut for a few seconds to make sure she swallows. If I give her Rimadyl or aspirin I usually have a palm full of food that I ask her to eat. Sometime I have to plead with her before she finally eats the food.

Lady's Human
01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeast farts. Making bread rise since the dawn of civilization. :p

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
But, there is nothing better than the smell of yeast pharts in a warm cozy kitchen.:D

Karen
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Random happy thought: I was in Whole Foods the other night and made a happy discovery - blueberry preserves that do NOT have citric acid in them! Nearly every jelly or jam seems to have citric acid added in, I know it's a preservative and all, but this one, imported from France and on sale even, doesn't!

I had blueberry jam on toasted bread - that was also Karen-safe - another happy discovery, and it was quite yummy!

Bonne Mamman Wild Blueberry Preserves - yum!

kokopup
02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I have been finishing my basement for some time. I have finished a Home Theater, bathroom and office. I have a kitchen and bedroom to go. The room that will be the bedroom has been catching everything that we don't know what to do with. It was so fully of stuff you couldn't even get into the room. I decided it was time to clean out the room so I could make it usable some time this spring. I really did open a can of worms. I have made two trips to Goodwill and have burned old work reference manuals all day. I have found things that I had been missing for some time. I can still only barely get into the room. I have an old couch and chair that I finally convince my wife that we need to haul it to the dump. I hauled out 4 old computers , 2 monitors and a misc box of stuff like keyboards ,mouse, Plus 3 old TV's. I have an old desk that needs to come out but it weighs 2 tons so it will be tricky. I have my Wagon loaded with another load for goodwill that will start my day tomorrow. Are we having fun yet:confused:

smokey the elder
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Bonnie Maman jellies and preserves rock!

Killearn Kitties
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I am in Wales. :)

And how are you liking it? Tell us all!

kokopup
02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I know this will bring a chuckle to some of you up in the northeast that are axxxole deep in snow but our local prognosticator is saying we may get 2" of snow tomorrow. South of here they may get 5" or more. When they say the "S" word around here everyone rushes to the grocery and cleans out the bread and milk. I have never really understood the bread and milk thing but I can remember when I was a kid, working in a grocery, if the "S" word was mentioned the store owner would double his order for both. They were always cleaned out.:confused:

Lady's Human
02-12-2010, 01:48 AM
If the coffee in the pot is the consistency of used gear oil, is that a bad thing?:confused:

Cataholic
02-12-2010, 06:35 AM
^^ if there is a V8 in your chest cavity, its all good.

Cataholic
02-12-2010, 06:38 AM
I wonder if the VERY noisy furnace is indicative of anything costly and cold? :(

happylabs
02-12-2010, 07:11 AM
As income tax time approaches, did you ever notice: When you put the two words “The” and “IRS” together, it spells ”THEIRS”?

Lady's Human
02-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Why is it that when a vehicle decides to die (and you're your own mechanic for the most part) it does it when it's in the middle of a blizzard?:rolleyes:

Lady's Human
02-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Speaknig of blizzards, you know the storm is really bad when they cancel the Pirohi sale at the local church!

wombat2u2004
02-26-2010, 03:44 AM
As income tax time approaches, did you ever notice: When you put the two words “The” and “IRS” together, it spells ”THEIRS”?

HAH !!!! I never looked at it that way....very clever !!!!! :p

kokopup
02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
My basement cleaning "can of worms" has turned into a "bucket of worms". I have "STUFF" all over my garage, office, and home theater, that I have pulled out of "THE ROOM". I have piles of different stuff everywhere. One pile is bike parts, one is computer parts and another is car parts. The list goes on and on with no ending place. I have found long lost things that I had forgotten existed. I have found some valuable antique tools that belonged to my father. I looked some of the items up on Ebay and found I have some real keepers.

I found a box full of old photographs of my family going back over sixty years. One photo was of me taken when I was going through Navy Boot camp training. This photo was taken 51 years ago. I have changed just a little, I am much more extinguished looking now. :D

wombat2u2004
02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
So, do we get a peep at the photo ???? :D

My basement cleaning "can of worms" has turned into a "bucket of worms". I have "STUFF" all over my garage, office, and home theater, that I have pulled out of "THE ROOM". I have piles of different stuff everywhere. One pile is bike parts, one is computer parts and another is car parts. The list goes on and on with no ending place. I have found long lost things that I had forgotten existed. I have found some valuable antique tools that belonged to my father. I looked some of the items up on Ebay and found I have some real keepers.

I found a box full of old photographs of my family going back over sixty years. One photo was of me taken when I was going through Navy Boot camp training. This photo was taken 51 years ago. I have changed just a little, I am much more extinguished looking now. :D

kokopup
02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
wombat2u2004

So, do we get a peep at the photo ????

I was planning on scanning some in for another thread. I have one of my first
grade class "Tom Thumb Wedding".

kokopup
02-26-2010, 05:48 PM
wombat2u2004

So, do we get a peep at the photo ????

Kokopup

I was planning on scanning some in for another thread.

Attached are some of the photos I scanned in of me and part of my family over the ages.

First.. is age 18 bootcamp (51 years ago)
Second.. is me and my son Mike when he was 6months I was 22
Third.. is Mike age 18 and me age 40
Forth.. is My dad at about my age now 69, my stepmom, Celia my wife age 30,
and lower is my youngest sister Susan age 24 and me age 41.

caseysmom
02-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Nice pictures kokopup...very nice looking family.

wombat2u2004
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanx for sharing that mate. They're great pics. You have a wonderful family there.
So what made you want to become a seaweed sucker ???
Wom;)

kokopup
02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
wombat2u2004

Thanx for sharing that mate. They're great pics. You have a wonderful family there.
So what made you want to become a seaweed sucker ???
Wom

Well I guess it's because I'm from a long line of Seaweed sucker's as you mate's
call us. Actually I was not in the seaweed division, I was an Airdale. I was aboard the USS Essex an Aircraft carrier. I was the plane Captain(crew) for the
ships COD.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/carriers/histories/cv09-essex/cv09-essex.html

http://www.theqam.org/photos-projectnews/CODTow2cleanS.jpg

wombat2u2004
02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
An interesting read mate. That ship has been thru a bit of action eh ???
I spent a few days on the USS St. Paul, that was a real eye opener for me.
No thanks....I'd rather keep my feet on dry land....not up in the sky or on the water. :p

kokopup
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
wombat2u2004

An interesting read mate. That ship has been thru a bit of action eh ???
I spent a few days on the USS St. Paul, that was a real eye opener for me.
No thanks....I'd rather keep my feet on dry land....not up in the sky or on the water.

Actually leaving your home on water is not to bad, its coming back home that's the real stopper. Everyone loved to see us coming home because we had the mail:D

pomtzu
02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Great pics Bill - and a nice looking family you have there. Oh - you too BTW. :p

I never did find those old pics of the Essex and Champlain (or was it Skywatcher??) docked at Quonset. I believe they probably got sent off by mistake to my ex when he asked for old pics. I haven't given up all hope of finding them tho - you just never know...

RICHARD
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.theqam.org/photos-projectnews/CODTow2cleanS.jpg

Cool.

I've always loved that plane and the Viking, too!

neat!

kokopup
02-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Richard

Cool.

I've always loved that plane and the Viking, too!

neat!

My plane actually only had a single horizontal stabilizer on the tail. This is a
plane that was resident at Quonset Point ,RI during the same period that I was flying in and out and the carrier was home ported there. i think this plane is in a museum in RI somewhere. We had a lot of the same craft onboard built as Anti Submarine craft. It was the S2f tracker. Every once in a while we had an AWAC version that carried the big Saucer on top.

pomtzu
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Richard

My plane actually only had a single horizontal stabilizer on the tail. This is a
plane that was resident at Quonset Point ,RI during the same period that I was flying in and out and the carrier was home ported there. i think this plane is in a museum in RI somewhere. We had a lot of the same craft onboard built as Anti Submarine craft. It was the S2f tracker. Every once in a while we had an AWAC version that carried the big Saucer on top.

Wom - just don't ask him about his plane in the blizzard........:eek::D

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Wom - just don't ask him about his plane in the blizzard........:eek::D

Ok...I'll bite :D
It was that saucer thingy on the roof that got full of snow, and he crash landed....right ????

pomtzu
02-27-2010, 11:07 AM
It was that saucer thingy on the roof that got full of snow, and he crash landed....right ????

No - you have to get off the ground to crash land. :p

Come on Bill - you can add more humor to it since it was your "incident".

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
No - you have to get off the ground to crash land. :p

Come on Bill - you can add more humor to it since it was your "incident".

You mean.......the wheels fell off ????

kokopup
02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Actually we came into Quonset from Norfolk where the ship was having some repairs. I ended up going with out proper permission. We landed in Quonset that evening and parked the plane, and folded it's wings. During the night they received the worst blizzard that they had recieved in 56 years. There was 36" with 10 foot drifts. Needless to stay we were stuck in Quonset and I was there without permission from my Unit leader. It took over a week before we could defrost the plane enough to unfold the wings. Luckily I had a great relationship with my Unit leader and he covered for me while I was AWOL. He couldn't fly and Navigate so I usually flew and Navigated for him when he had the fly duty. The Navy says that all shipboard Naval aviators have to be able to fly & navigate the COD. So I was covering for him since he really couldn't fly the plane. I even had to start the stupid thing for him.:rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Hahahahaa, and he was your boss ????
Well mate, sounds like he owed you a few eh ????

RICHARD
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM

I would have thought the cup for the saucer had blown off?:confused:;)

----------------

The MIA/AWOL story made me laugh and remember a Chuck Yeager story in his biography-a wonderful read should you happen to.

I don't remember the exact details but?

Yeager was in charge of a bunch of planes and had to account for the whole lot.

One the commanding officers had a huge bug up his rear about them-how many there were and what their condition was.

Yeager, because of the toll that combat was taking on his ships and he could not account for them? He came across this idea to fool the CO-who would go by the tail numbers on the planes.

Yeager would have the crews paint the numbers of the missing craft on newer craft, then insert them into review!

No missing planes? No problem!:D

--------------

Koko,

Kinda sad when your boss can't do anything simple like 'turning a key" to start a plane?;)

kokopup
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
richard
Koko,

Kinda sad when your boss can't do anything simple like 'turning a key" to start a plane?

Well it was just a little more involved than that but it's not reassuring to start a plane for a pilot then a few minutes later have to be cataputed from the ship with him flying.:eek:

RICHARD
03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
richard

Well it was just a little more involved than that but it's not reassuring to start a plane for a pilot then a few minutes later have to be cataputed from the ship with him flying.:eek:

LOL,
Oh, You have to click the clicker to disarm the alarm, beforehand??:eek:;)

wombat2u2004
03-02-2010, 02:02 AM
LOL,
Oh, You have to click the clicker to disarm the alarm, beforehand??:eek:;)

Or check the oil dipstick ???

kokopup
03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Richard

LOL,
Oh, You have to click the clicker to disarm the alarm, beforehand??

Wom

Or check the oil dipstick ???

Did I miss something or is my Senility kicking in today. I am not grasping the meaning behind either statement. I often miss the meaning of Richard's post but in this case I'm missing the meaning on both. Would you mates humor an old guy and explain.

RICHARD
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
:)
Richard

Wom

Did I miss something or is my Senility kicking in today. I am not grasping the meaning behind either statement. I often miss the meaning of Richard's post but in this case I'm missing the meaning on both. Would you mates humor an old guy and explain.

Starting a plane, from what little I know about it, is not a key/clicker-nor as Wom says, a simple dip stick operation!:eek:;)

My comments were meant as a little barb toward your Unit Leader for not taking the time to start a plane! I am sure that if it was as simple as turning a key, checking the oil or clicking a clicker, he would have done it himself and not relied on the most important part off getting the plane of the deck-YOU!

--------------

In Australia, some guy took a 1200 cc Harley Davidson motorcycle and jumped it 183.7 feet. wow.

kokopup
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Richard

Starting a plane, from what little I know about it, is not a key/clicker-nor as Wom says, a simple dip stick operation!

My comments were meant as a little barb toward your Unit Leader for not taking the time to start a plane! I am sure that if it was as simple as turning a key, checking the oil or clicking a clicker, he would have done it himself and not relied on the most important part off getting the plane of the deck-YOU!

Thanks for humoring an old fart. Richard some of your humor is over my head
so just bear with me. I have to say you nail it perfectly sometimes but other
times I just miss your intent. The nude library takeoff on the Dr. Seuss "Green eggs and ham" poem was priceless. :D:cool:

RICHARD
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
The nude library takeoff on the Dr. Seuss "Green eggs and ham" poem was priceless. :D:cool:

Sorry, sometimes I over think a joke, When I have so many people screaming inside my head? I have to tell everyone to shut up!:rolleyes::eek:;)

They caught the naked man! :eek:

Yesterday was Dr Seuss' 106th b-day. He's rolling in his grave.

He heard about the Green Eggs and Ham guy!;)

wombat2u2004
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Richard

Wom

Me to. I was having a shot at your boss for relying on you so much.
Maybe YOU should have been the boss (then you could have sacked him...hee hee):D

wombat2u2004
03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry, sometimes I over think a joke, When I have so many people screaming inside my head? I have to tell everyone to shut up!:rolleyes::eek:;)

They caught the naked man! :eek:

Yesterday was Dr Seuss' 106th b-day. He's rolling in his grave.

He heard about the Green Eggs and Ham guy!;)

I wonder if the book he stole was "Green Eggs and Ham".
The media always leaves out the good bits.:rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I am not grasping the meaning behind either statement.
I often miss the meaning of Richard's post ...

Richard some of your humor is over my head so just bear with me.

Don't feel bad, KP ... You're not the only one that needs to see
the drawing to understand a "RICHARD".

But we all :love: him!

;)

kokopup
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Cinder & Smoke

Don't feel bad, KP ... You're not the only one that needs to see
the drawing to understand a "RICHARD".

But we all :love: him!

Thats good to hear, I thought Senility was kicking in early.

I think :love:is overstating it just a little for me.

Cinder & Smoke
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I think :love: is overstating it just a little for me.

RICHARD?
Nawh, he'll grow on ya after a few years.

;)

wombat2u2004
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
RICHARD?
Nawh, he'll grow on ya after a few years.

;)

Just keep him well watered :p

kokopup
03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I signed up to be a volunteer at Barber Motorsport park again this year. I have been going now for about 5 years and have seen a lot of good car and motorcycle races. This year they have added the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama. The Porsche 250 will be run on Saturday the day before the Indy race. In the Fall there will be the AMA Superbike championship and later in the fall the Vintage and Wera Motorcycle Regionals. The last few years I have had it real hard :D because I get to be in the VIP hospitality suites overlooking the track. I get to rub elbows with all the racers, owners and other VIP's. I usually have a great time and meet a lot of neat people. The last few years Patrick Dempsey has been there for the GT races.

Edit:I forgot to mention that Danica Patrick will be at the Indy race on April 11.

kokopup
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
My Mtn bike club is having a 2 day trail building push to build two miles in two days this weekend. This is going to be difficult on part of the trail because the terrain is very steep and difficult. The trail will follow the contour (same elevation) however just standing is difficult so building a foot wide trail through this section will be very hard. I GPS mapped this trail section a few months back and then flagged it for building a couple of weeks ago. The weather is suppose to be close to 70 for the weekend so I'm hoping for a good turnout of volunteers.

This is our club site: www.bump.org

wombat2u2004
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Got a pick and shovel ???? :p

kokopup
03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
We would love to put you and your tools to work, but I think our work day will be over before you can get here. If you should find a portal or maybe can find a way to warp your way here you will be a real asset. Don't worry about getting that shovel through the portal, we have one here that will fit you just fine.:D

wombat2u2004
03-04-2010, 11:50 PM
I was thinking about giving you all a hand....but...I don't want to !!!:p

Lady's Human
03-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I really need a GPS for my work keys........

wombat2u2004
03-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I really need a GPS for my work keys........

I think you'll find them.......where you left them. :p

Lady's Human
03-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Thank you for your support! :p

(And they were right where I left them.......inside a sorting machine, thankfully they were un-sorted)

Lady's Human
05-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Is it bad Karma to use a Ranger Rick magazine to kill a yellowjacket?

Karen
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Only if it is an issue on "our insect friends!"

Random thought ...

It's sad to have fresh dandelions blossoming in the yard, and no one to feed them to - dandelion flowers were a favorite seasonal delicacy of Miss Hoppy's!

DJFyrewolf36
05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Something I saw on Facebook:

The Fourteen Precepts of the Order of Interbeing by Thich Nhat Hanh

1.Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology. All systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

2.Do not think that the knowledge you presently posses is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice non-attachment from views in order to be open to receive others’ viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

3.Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

4.Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, by all means, including personal contact and visits, images and sound. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.

5.Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy and material resources with those who are in need.

6.Do not maintain anger or hatred. Learn to penetrate and transform them while they are still seeds in your consciousness. As soon as anger or hatred arises, turn your attention to your breathing in order to see and understand the nature of the persons who have caused you anger or hatred

7.Do not lose yourself in dispersion and in your surroundings. Practice mindful breathing in order to come back to what is happening in the present moment. Be in touch with what is wondrous, refreshing, and healing, both inside and around yourself. Plant the seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in yourself in order to facilitate the work of transformation in the depths of your consciousness.

8.Do not utter words that can create discord and cause the community to break. Make every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

9.Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things that you are not sure of. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety.

10.Do not use the religious community for personal gain or profit, or transform your community into a political party. A religious community should, however, take a clear stand against oppression and injustice, and should strive to change the situation without engaging in partisan conflicts.

11.Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature. Do not invest in companies that deprive others of their chance to live. Select a vocation that helps you realize your ideal of compassion.

12.Do not kill. Do not let others kill. Find whatever means possible to protect life and prevent war.

13. Possess nothing that should belong to others. Respect the property of others but prevent others from enriching themselves from human suffering or the suffering of other beings.

14. Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies for the realization of the Way. Sexual expression should not happen without love and commitment. In sexual relationships, be aware of the future suffering that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings.

From the book "Peace is Every Step." by Thich Nhat Hanh (http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Every-Step-Mindfulness-Everyday/dp/0553351397)

Karen
05-04-2010, 11:47 PM
This evening I drove into Brookline (just one town over, but I rarely get there) to buy gas at a station that's part of the grocery store program that discounts gas ten cents per gallon for every however much of whatever ya buy over the course of a month. I had over 600 "points" so it was 60 cents off per gallon, well worth the 5 mile drive.

Anyway, as I pulled into station, and noticed the attendant was standing a few feet away, aiming his phone toward the sky. I didn't mind waiting, it was really just a few seconds. He came over and after he began pumping the gas, she said, "Sorry for making you wait, I was just trying to get a good picture of that sunset over those buildings."

We had a nice little conversation about how pictures never seem to really capture sunsets well, but we (he and I at least) are compelled to try.

He was a small older man, of African ancestry, and by his accent, he was born and raised somewhere far south of here (likely one of the islands in the Caribbean), and I wondered as I drove away how a Boston sunset over buildings on a busy street even compared with any sunsets he may have seen growing up, but I just thought it was sweet that, even in his thankless job as a gas station attendant, he not only took the time to notice a sunset, but appreciate it, and share it.

Suki Wingy
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
This movie called Blue Velvet was just on tv. It was weird but I wish I had payed attention, I think it was good. I want to go to Jewel today so I can buy pop for cheaper than at 7-11.

I want a job, man. Over two months of searching and no leads.

caseysmom
05-05-2010, 10:20 PM
This evening I drove into Brookline (just one town over, but I rarely get there) to buy gas at a station that's part of the grocery store program that discounts gas ten cents per gallon for every however much of whatever ya buy over the course of a month. I had over 600 "points" so it was 60 cents off per gallon, well worth the 5 mile drive.

Anyway, as I pulled into station, and noticed the attendant was standing a few feet away, aiming his phone toward the sky. I didn't mind waiting, it was really just a few seconds. He came over and after he began pumping the gas, she said, "Sorry for making you wait, I was just trying to get a good picture of that sunset over those buildings."

We had a nice little conversation about how pictures never seem to really capture sunsets well, but we (he and I at least) are compelled to try.

He was a small older man, of African ancestry, and by his accent, he was born and raised somewhere far south of here (likely one of the islands in the Caribbean), and I wondered as I drove away how a Boston sunset over buildings on a busy street even compared with any sunsets he may have seen growing up, but I just thought it was sweet that, even in his thankless job as a gas station attendant, he not only took the time to notice a sunset, but appreciate it, and share it.

Thats a very lovely story Karen, things like that really put everything in perspective don't they?

cassiesmom
05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
My nephew got engaged! It's a good thing, too, because I've already been introducing his now fiancee to everyone as my niece-in-law. It's just too hard to explain that she's his girlfriend, but it's kind of a serious relationship, and ...

cassiesmom
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM
It's sad to have fresh dandelions blossoming in the yard, and no one to feed them to - dandelion flowers were a favorite seasonal delicacy of Miss Hoppy's!

I'll bet there are other bunnies in need of a home who would love them, whenever you decide to adopt another.

CountryWolf07
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I need to pick up a graduation card for Mike's sister before we head up to Toledo tomorrow for her graduation day from U of Toledo.

happylabs
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I dislike the idiot drivers that come out of hibernation when the weather turns nice. :mad:

kokopup
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
happylabs

I dislike the idiot drivers that come out of hibernation when the weather turns nice.
What do you expect, even by Punxsutawney Phil's schedule, it is way past time to be hibernating.:D

Scooter's Mom
05-08-2010, 04:36 AM
I dislike the idiot drivers that come out of hibernation when the weather turns nice. :mad:

That just means you have them until the weather gets cold again. Then they come back down here (AZ) to make my life miserable. :D

cassiesmom
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't like that today's weather in Chicago is more like mid-March than early May. I wish it could be nice out for Mother's Day.

kokopup
05-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Our temperature here is below nornal for this time of year but 70 degrees and sunny is nice.:cool:

Lady's Human
06-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Why is it that all week I've been wearing long sleeved shirts to work, and the plant has been a sauna, but tonight I wear just a t-shirt and the place is colder than an icebox?

I love Murphy!

Lady's Human
06-15-2010, 11:04 PM
It takes a special level of mechanical skill to misalign an assembly held together with roll pins.... :rolleyes:

kokopup
06-16-2010, 12:13 AM
You neglected to say what the roll pin aligned. If the roll pin is the proper size then alignment should be correct since in most cases this is their function. A
to small or damaged pin can cause misalignment. A good Mechanic would have been aware of either case and would not have chanced a misalignment.

Cinder & Smoke
06-16-2010, 11:06 AM
It takes a special level of mechanical skill to misalign an assembly
held together with roll pins.... :rolleyes:

Nawwww, It's EASY!
I remember a few "techs" at IBM who regularly screwed stuff up ...

1) Just REMOVE a few pins - allows wide "adjustments" to alignment.

2) Not "adjustable" enough --- pull out the B_H (Big Flippin Hammer)
. . and *speak* to the assembly ... all roll pins *BEND* (or break) - eventually.

:rolleyes:

mruffruff
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
For the past month I have been trying to get several contractors to do some minor work for me. After an initial visit and price quote, we set up a time for the work to be done. Either they call and postpone or just don't show up at all and don't return phone calls.

I called a collection agency to get them to contact some of the businesses past due accounts. They never called me back.

Last night I had an appointment to meet with a realtor at a house I wanted to buy---the agent was a no show.

Doesn't anyone want to WORK?

Karen
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
For the past month I have been trying to get several contractors to do some minor work for me. After an initial visit and price quote, we set up a time for the work to be done. Either they call and postpone or just don't show up at all and don't return phone calls.

I called a collection agency to get them to contact some of the businesses past due accounts. They never called me back.

Last night I had an appointment to meet with a realtor at a house I wanted to buy---the agent was a no show.

I'd love to work, but am a bit far away for contractor work for you!

Pinot's Mom
06-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Simple answer-no. I know I don't! ;)

snakemama
06-16-2010, 02:54 PM
it's 104 flipping degrees out. I can't wait to move out of this desert.

CountryWolf07
06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Should I take a nap, if I do, I'll sleep outside in the backyard on the swing.. perhaps Hank will join me.

Catherinedana
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I wanna go home.

MoonandBean
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I have one of those new shape plastic bracelets all the kids are wearing; mine is a cat :). I make it wide to look like Moon and thin to make it look like Bean :)

Lady's Human
06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
You know it was a BIG moth that hit your windshield when it's an audible THUD.

smokey the elder
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
There was an earthquake in Ottawa Wednesday, and a tornado in Bridgeport, CT yesterday!

pomtzu
06-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Why can't the bathroom clean itself????? :(

Suki Wingy
06-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I love the song True by Spandau Ballet, and now it will be associated with the time in Ashes to Ashes that Gene and Alex almost kissed. Not a bad association.

Lady's Human
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
What happened to actresses like Doris Day, Ginger Rogers, and the like?

Cataholic
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Why am I the only one that sees the irony in the statment, "I can't meet with you until after 5 pm, I can't miss worK"????? Guess what? I can't "miss life"! If your matter isn't important enough to schedule time out of your busy day, it can't be important enough for me to schedule, either. :eek:

Karen
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
It is raining, after much distant, high-up thunder. I am happy.

kokopup
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm about to be a Great Grand Father. My son's daughter Samantha is about a week away from her expected delivery date. We are looking forward to spoiling our Great Grand Son. :):)

g

Randi
07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Doesn't cats' need a varied diet like people do? Vets' often seem to tell us to feed them only one kind of food. :confused: I would think a varied diet is healtier.

Randi
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a bit tedious... today I'm cooking cow meat that take two+ hours, while some days I cook cow meat that take two minutes. It all taste good though! :)

cassiesmom
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I heard this song by Sara Bareilles on my way to work today ... wish I could play it every day because it made me smile...

Keep drinking coffee stare me down across the table
While i look outside
So many things i'd say if only i were able
But i just keep quiet and count the cars that pass by

You've got opinions man
We're all entitled to 'em
But i never asked

So let me thank you for your time
And try not to waste any more of mine
Get out of here fast

I hate to break it to you babe
But i'm not drowning
There's no one here to save

Who cares if you disagree? you are not me
Who made you king of anything?
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died and made you king of anything?

You sound so innocent
All full of good intent
Swear you know best

But you expect me to
Jump up onboard with you
Ride off into your delusional sunset

I'm not the one who's lost
With no direction oh
But you'll never see

You're so busy making masks
With my name on it in all caps
You've got the talking down
Just not the listening

All my life i've tried
To make everybody happy while i just hurt and hide
Waiting for someone to tell me it's my turn
To decide

Let me hold your crown babe

kokopup
07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
For the many years I remember, this time of year, the weather forecast was always "chance of afternoon thunder storms. All those years usually mid to late afternoon the thunder storms would roll through and cool things down some before passing on as quickly as they came. This year we have the THUNDER every afternoon but for some reason that's all we get, THUNDER. I'm ready for some rain!!!

cassiesmom
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm getting a haircut this Thursday at a new place. I waited too long to make an appointment - I need a haircut BAD!

Kokopup, are you a great grandfather yet? :D

kokopup
08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
kokopup is the proud Great grandfather to a handsome boy named Lyric. I didn't get to see my grandkids very much growing up because they lived 2000 miles away. It is going to be nice having a Great Grandson next door.

pomtzu
08-25-2010, 06:05 AM
kokopup is the proud Great grandfather to a handsome boy named Lyric. I didn't get to see my grandkids very much growing up because they lived 2000 miles away. It is going to be nice having a Great Grandson next door.

Congratulations Bill. Lucky you! I have 2 great grandkids that I've never seen.........:(

cassiesmom
12-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Can I just rant for a moment? I'm tired of being really cold, and I'm tired of driving a dirty car! But every time it warms up enough for a car wash, it snows. This December has been more like mid-winter than late fall.

Vette
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
^ I love mild winters :D but the dirty car part does become a drag. when youre on your way home make a pit stop in the car wash? its a quick fix an ends up almost as dirty as it was when you first washed it. but it beats nothing. LOL

---
seems this month has been one thing another.
first my chest hurt super bad to take in a deep breath or move around. finally that went away after a few days. now my wrists hurt like crap an im coming down with a sore throat.

i cant help but think whats next?
ugh.

lizbud
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Wondering why some members of this community would chose to not
publicly acknowledge the death of another long time member with so much
as a RIP, if nothing else.

pomtzu
02-09-2011, 07:58 AM
My son absolutely HATES tomatoes and beans. So why does he love and pig out on my homemade chili - which is probably 90% tomatoes and beans??? :confused:

Lady's Human
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Dear Ford,

Would a drain plug on the tranny pan be too much to ask for?

Sincerely,

Irate mechanic.

PS: Tranny fluid does not make a good coffee mixer.

kokopup
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I assume you are referring to a drain plug on an Automatic transmission. If your transmissin fluid needs replacing so does your filter. All manufactures
take the same approach. If you make it easy to replace fluid then the filter is neglected which over time will bring you to a halt. All manufactures, not just Ford, make you drop the pan if you are replacing fluid.

Live with the mess of dropping the pan and get that filter while it is off. I have fixed many transmissions for friends just by replacing fluid and filter.

My sons first car a 69 Charger was found sitting in a guys back yard with grass growing up around it. My son bought the car for $100 and with the investment of another $50, for fluid and filter, became the envy of the every kid in school. This was back in 1980 so the car had become hot hot hot because of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Lady's Human
08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm well aware that the filter needs to be changed along with the fluid, however, in the previous editions of this tranny, there was a drain plug that allowed you to drain the fluid without needing a 3 1/2 foot diameter catch pan. I really dislike wearing tranny fluid. Really looking forward to doing the truck this fall, that's going to be a true joy.

Vette
08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
When is Tera online coming out?

thats been a random frequent thought of mine for a while now... LOL

finn's mom
08-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Wondering why some members of this community would chose to not
publicly acknowledge the death of another long time member with so much
as a RIP, if nothing else.

This community? As in PetTalk? Who passed away?

Karen
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
That's from last December, and so I'm guessing she's talking about our beloved Phred there.

Lady's Human
08-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Dear packaging designers......

If you want me to purchase more products from your company, how about listing additional parts needed to complete the job on the OUTSIDE of the package, instead of inside? Stores get annoyed when you open clamshell packs in the store.

Thank you,

Consumers.

sana
08-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I am eating WAFFERS!! Hazelnut ones! I need some water now...

happylabs
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
I am eating WAFFERS!! Hazelnut ones! I need some water now...

I wish I had some hazlenut wafers to have with my coffee.. :D

Bring some over and I'll give you water. :p

lizbud
08-21-2011, 10:23 AM

If you want me to purchase more products from your company, how about listing additional parts needed to complete the job on the OUTSIDE of the package, instead of inside? Stores get annoyed when you open clamshell packs in the store.

Thank you,

Consumers.

I'll bet the product was not made in the USA. I hate those clamshell thingies. I bought a smoke alarm two weeks
ago & still don't have it put together & mounted. The paperwork was all inside the pkg. It's harder to assemble than
I bargained for.

pomtzu
08-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Thank you,

Consumers.

How about just banning clamshell packs??? When you have arthritis and/or limited sensation in your hands, these things are a nightmare. Whoever invented them needs to be tarred and feathered!

sana
08-22-2011, 01:04 AM
I wish I had some hazlenut wafers to have with my coffee.. :D

Bring some over and I'll give you water. :p

Haha!! :D I'll mail you some :)

dab_20
08-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Why do car mechanics always try to rip you off (ESPECIALLY when your female!)? Why can't they just be truthful?

I guess because I'll believe anything they say. Not like I can go look and check myself. Aghhh!

happylabs
08-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Why do Mondays have to start so early?

sana
08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
.... :eek: .... .... :eek: .... .... :eek: .... .... :eek: ....

Schooollll....

Its starts on 8th September.....

MY O' LEVELS IS STARTING!!! Its like GRADE 9! :eek: AND THE NEW TEACHER IS SUPER STRICT! I SURE HOPE THAT SHE LOVES ME, AND I GUESS I LIKE HER, SO SHE DOESN'T SCOLD ME AND I REALLY HOPE THAT NOBODY NEEDS A REASON TO SCOLD ME AND THAT NOBODY DOES SCOLD ME! :eek: And that my class fellows are sweet and nice! :)

Alysser
08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
I hope work goes by very FAST today. I absolutely hate what I'm going to be doing, so please please make it seem fast!

pomtzu
08-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Why do Mondays have to start so early?

So they will be over and done with faster.........:p

Lady's Human
08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Why do car mechanics always try to rip you off (ESPECIALLY when your female!)? Why can't they just be truthful?

I guess because I'll believe anything they say. Not like I can go look and check myself. Aghhh!

Pick up a manual for your car, a code reader and start reading. Even if you don't fix it yourself, you'll be better informed going to a garage. If you think you're getting ripped off every time you go to one, you need to look around for a new mechanic.

happylabs
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Why does my coffee cup seem to be empty so fast?

pomtzu
08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Why does my coffee cup seem to be empty so fast?

Because it's Monday and the day started earlier, so you started drinking the coffee earlier. :D

Am I being helpful yet.........:rolleyes::p

happylabs
08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Because it's Monday and the day started earlier, so you started drinking the coffee earlier. :D

Am I being helpful yet.........:rolleyes::p

LOL! That has to be it. Thanks. :D

kokopup
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Why is it that when I organize my stuff, then I can't find anything?

Vette
08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Wish itd rain

sana
08-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Wish itd rain

TAKE SOME OF OURS!! OUR ROAD WAS FLOODED TODAY!! You couldn't see it, SERIOUSLY! :eek: There was a huge lake of brown water and the worst part is, our roofs leak, so we have to put newspaper under the cracks. There are windows on the top, and some of them have teeny tiny holes, so the water comes down drop by drop, and the side windows leak because of small openings in them, so the walls were wet. And some genius had the window opened and the stairs became all wet. The Kitchen window was open so, the sink and the plates had dirty water on them. The windowsill had dirty water on it too, because the rainwater was splashing inside... :( The carpet got wet because of the leaking water :( :(

The water has drained a lot now. :) Phew* Thank God, the water is less now, I can see the road now. :D

happylabs
08-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Why is Eggplant purple?

lbaker
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
If pecans come from Pecan trees and walnuts come from Walnut trees etc - why don't we call them oaknuts or oakcorns instead of acorns?? I've never heard of an A tree :confused:

Karen
08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Why is Eggplant purple?

It isn't always! This time of year, I walk past white eggplant, purple eggplant, purple and white eggplant, and even odd little green eggplant in the local fabulous produce market. But some are kind-of egg-shaped ... some more tubular, some more pear-shaped - there's an amazing variety. And I am allergic to them all, sadly!

And besides, in other parts of the world, they call them aubergines, which fashion now uses for a particular shade of purple ...

Karen
02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I so love that Search is working again, so I could find this thread instead of posting anew one!

Okay, the moment's random thought -

How ironic is it that the latest two messages in my email are a recipe for Potato and Cheddar Soup (from Cooking.com)
and immediately underneath that, spam for
"Cleveland Clinics: "Live Chat Heart Health"!

Lady's Human
02-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Not only did I fat finger the withdrawal amount from the ATM, I then hit correct instead of cancel (the keypad doesn't line up with the screen).

Never use an ATM before sufficient caffeine has been introduced to your system!

Karen
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Not only did I fat finger the withdrawal amount from the ATM, I then hit correct instead of cancel (the keypad doesn't line up with the screen).

Never use an ATM before sufficient caffeine has been introduced to your system!

Especially if you happen to be one of MY relations! We all learned early, when Dad was working rotating shifts, to put the coffee pot on as soon as we heard his feet hit the floor, regardless of what hour of the day it was!

pomtzu
02-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Why can you sometimes see the moon during the day in daylight, but can't see the sun at night when it's dark? :confused:

RICHARD
02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Why can you sometimes see the moon during the day in daylight, but can't see the sun at night when it's dark? :confused:

Now I am going to sit here all day wondering about that.;)

LOL,

It has to do with the moon not being a 'light generating' body. The reason you can see it during the day is that it has 'albedo', the ability to reflect light, so when the sun is opposite, it reflects off the moon and voila'. Moon over you house!

pomtzu
02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Now I am going to sit here all day wondering about that.;)

LOL,

It has to do with the moon not being a 'light generating' body. The reason you can see it during the day is that it has 'albedo', the ability to reflect light, so when the sun is opposite, it reflects off the moon and voila'. Moon over you house!

Thanks - that makes sense! I was never much for the sciences - I was a numbers cruncher! :)

pomtzu
02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Please make it stop!!! That "laugh" is driving me nuts! It's somewhat of a combo giggle and cackle, and it just grates on my nerves. It goes right thru me - like fingernails across the blackboard. Once in a while I can handle it, but when you watch a show that isn't the least bit funny, and have to laugh at least once every 30 seconds ~~~~ well that's way more than I care to listen to. I guess earplugs are needed! :(

happylabs
02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Please make it stop!!! That "laugh" is driving me nuts! It's somewhat of a combo giggle and cackle, and it just grates on my nerves. It goes right thru me - like fingernails across the blackboard. Once in a while I can handle it, but when you watch a show that isn't the least bit funny, and have to laugh at least once every 30 seconds ~~~~ well that's way more than I care to listen to. I guess earplugs are needed! :(

I hate canned laughter on television shows.

pomtzu
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I hate canned laughter on television shows.

But this is being broadcast live in my living room by a person sitting right by my desk!! :mad:

Alysser
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I PASSED A MATH TEST WORTH 20% OF OUR GRADE!!:eek: MIRACLES HAPPEN!!!:D:D:D:D

Karen
02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
I PASSED A MATH TEST WORTH 20% OF OUR GRADE!!:eek: MIRACLES HAPPEN!!!:D:D:D:D

Excellent, congrats! ;)

happylabs
02-23-2012, 08:28 AM
But this is being broadcast live in my living room by a person sitting right by my desk!! :mad:

Oh...I totally missed that! Sorry about that. :D
You need a different kind of a remote with a special mute button for that situation. :p

pomtzu
02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh...I totally missed that! Sorry about that. :D
You need a different kind of a remote with a special mute button for that situation. :p

A gag might help too. Oh - I am so bad!!!!! :p

happylabs
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
A gag might help too. Oh - I am so bad!!!!! :p

Hmmmm...I know it isn't appropriate for children but I think in this case you could get away with duct tape! :D :p ;)

cassiesmom
02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Got this in the members' e-mail from Brookfield Zoo...

International Polar Bear Day
February 27
Join us in celebrating International Polar Bear Day on Monday, February 27th, by turning your thermostat down two degrees to lower carbon emissions and help save Arctic sea ice. Show your support for action on climate change by bundling up in your favorite sweater or parka on that day.

sana
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
sick......sooo sick...been sick since wednesday... :(

beeniesmom
02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Get well soon sana.
Nervous about next week.

Roxyluvsme13
02-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Feel better, Sana *hugs*

I'm so very happy that it's Friday.

happylabs
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
sick......sooo sick...been sick since wednesday... :(

Oh no! That is no fun. Hope you feel better soon. Buddy sends some purrs and head bumpies for you. :)

pomtzu
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
More crazy darn "winter" weather - we're in the middle of a summer like thunder storm. At least it's rain and not snow, since we have had thunder-snow on occasion. :cool:

Asiel
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
After the mildest winter we've ever experienced, only a few ft of snow we were happy to see everything melting and the temperatures rising....until last night when the snow started coming down hard. It stopped tonight after supper and we have more snow than we had last year at this time. Almost feels like a disaster , this is what we would normally get in December. We can only hope that the sun will shine for the next few days and that some of this will melt. :(

sana
02-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Get well soon sana.
Nervous about next week.

Feel better, Sana *hugs*

I'm so very happy that it's Friday.

Oh no! That is no fun. Hope you feel better soon. Buddy sends some purrs and head bumpies for you. :)

Aw thanks guys! :love: :love:
Feeling a lot better Thank God :)

happylabs
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Aw thanks guys! :love: :love:
Feeling a lot better Thank God :)

I'm sure it was Buddy's head bumpies that he sent. They are truly medicinal.

pomtzu
02-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Another brilliant :rolleyes: commercial for the brain dead among us - this one from Pizza Hut: "the $10 pizza dinner box is just 10 bucks". DUH!! - ya think???? Well, I suppose there are some individuals who would ask the price. :p

Roxyluvsme13
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Another brilliant :rolleyes: commercial for the brain dead among us - this one from Pizza Hut: "the $10 pizza dinner box is just 10 bucks". DUH!! - ya think???? Well, I suppose there are some individuals who would ask the price. :p

LOL! Their $10 pizza boxes are ehhh...

I'm about to go take a math test and I'd really rather not. Darn you, calculus :p

happylabs
02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Pizza!!!!!!! Now I MUST have it tonight.

pomtzu
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Pizza!!!!!!! Now I MUST have it tonight.

Are you gonna get the $10 box? You're not gonna call the order in and ask how much it costs, are you?? :eek::p:D

Alysser
02-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Contact lenses are so freeing. :D

Karen
02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Contact lenses are so freeing. :D

I'd be jealous, but my prescriptions is so weird, I stick with glasses - and besides, I've worn glasses so long I have no blink reflex left, so it'd be dangerous!

Alysser
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Karen, my prescription is kind of weird to. It's just enough that I notice if I put the wrong contact in the wrong eye! My left eye is worse than my right eye. I thought the same thing to, I've been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old, so I figured I couldn't do it, but it works for me!!:D I am sure you could too :)

Karen
02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Karen, my prescription is kind of weird to. It's just enough that I notice if I put the wrong contact in the wrong eye! My left eye is worse than my right eye. I thought the same thing to, I've been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old, so I figured I couldn't do it, but it works for me!!:D I am sure you could too :)

Thanks, but as well as being extremely nearsighted, I have a different astigmatism in each eye, a cataract (tiny) in one eye, need bifocals and with the history of eye problems and allergies in my clan, I think I'll leave things alone. Besides, I would't recognize myself in the mirror anyway, I bet, and I had one discerning friend tell me years ago, after looking at me critically with and without glasses "You look better with them, no question!"

cassiesmom
02-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Hello, Pizza Hut? I'd like the ten dollar pizza dinner box to go please. Now, how much will that cost again? ;)

Oh, pizza! Yummmm! The next question is ... deep dish or thin? There's a new place right by my house that sells sandwiches, burgers, and pizza by the slice. I like to get it that way because I can purchase just enough for one meal without having to store the remaining three quarters of the pizza for later.

cassiesmom
02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I'd be jealous, but my prescriptions is so weird, I stick with glasses - and besides, I've worn glasses so long I have no blink reflex left, so it'd be dangerous!

Me too. Amblyopia (lazy eye)... 20/200 on the left, 20/30 on the right. Thank goodness for polycarbonate lenses or I'd be wearing very thick glasses!

happylabs
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Are you gonna get the $10 box? You're not gonna call the order in and ask how much it costs, are you?? :eek::p:D

LOL! No. I was going to get from my favorite hometown pizza place but then I decided to wait until another night.

Karen
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Me too. Amblyopia (lazy eye)... 20/200 on the left, 20/30 on the right. Thank goodness for polycarbonate lenses or I'd be wearing very thick glasses!

Oh, yes, I was very excited when the compressed lenses came out, so I didn't pick a frame style and get told, "Oh, honey, not with YOUR prescription, sorry!" time after time. Of course, now I need bifocals, so that limits it some, but still, I don't have the dents on my nose previous generations ended up with from heavy lenses.

pomtzu
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
I cracked up when I heard that Pizza Hut commercial last night. But since it was during the Daytona 500 race, maybe it was geared toward some of the "slower" good old boys. :D

cassiesmom
03-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm very thankful for all the wonderful people and their dogs, cats, and pets on Pet Talk! (I don't say this often enough.) :love:

Karen
03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
The little juncos scattering delicate prints in the light snow after yesterday's storm made me smile, as did seeing them, in their somber dress and bright yellow beak, enjoying the seed I threw out there for them!

Alysser
03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I am pretty sure I am failing this midterm...actually almost positive. :o

Roxyluvsme13
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Midterms are the worst, Alyssa. I don't have any this semester, thank goodness, but I might as well since I have two exams, a lab communication, and a crap ton of math homework due before I go on Spring break :(.

I'm sort of studying for a biology test now, but I'm finding no motivation. I have a headache, so it's hard to not wanna just sleep.

pomtzu
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
It just doesn't make sense to me, that 2 pair of sheer swag valances for my bedroom windows, cost almost as much as the new bedspread. Something's wrong with that picture! :mad:

Lady's Human
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Who turned on the cloaking device in my truck, and could someone PLEASE tell me where the damned switch is so I can turn it off?

It's big, it's white, and evidently bloody well invisible to other drivers.

pomtzu
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh no! You know the state is anticipating a big mosquito crop this year with the much warmer than normal weather already. They're out here today and spraying by helicopter in the wooded areas where there is standing water - and it's still March!!!! UGH!! - mosquitoes, gnats, fleas, ticks - not at all pet friendly. :mad:

Roxyluvsme13
03-22-2012, 05:13 PM
I think I'm getting a cold and I highly disapprove. Now I can't hang out with my friend this weekend :(

Alysser
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I may have to go jump out of the window of this classroom right now. Being in classe that suck when it's do beautiful out kills me inside. Ahhh 5 more weeks!! :(

Lady's Human
03-31-2012, 07:57 PM
What, praytell, does Band-Aid mean when they say something is waterproof? It's certainly not the same as my definition.........

Roxyluvsme13
03-31-2012, 08:29 PM
I think I might be a little sunburnt... Guess it's good to get it out of the way early in the year so I have my base tan going :D

Alysser
03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I love looking at Real-estate and HGTV...I really need a life;:rolleyes:

pomtzu
04-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Happy birthday my dear departed friend. :love: I could never forget an April Fool's birthday, tho you certainly were no fool!

pomtzu
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank you neighbors, for adding 3 beautiful horses to your yard. Now in the hot summer months, I can enjoy horseflies and that fragrant aroma of horse crap that comes as part of the package. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Why does Pizza Hut send me a message saying "Bills over $20 will not be accepted for online purchases"

I didn't know there was a bill slot in my laptop?

Why, when you log out of Facebook, immediately after clicking "logout" do you get a message saying Please log in to Continue?

Karen
05-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you neighbors, for adding 3 beautiful horses to your yard. Now in the hot summer months, I can enjoy horseflies and that fragrant aroma of horse crap that comes as part of the package. :rolleyes:

Maybe they will give you some of the "fertilizer" for your gardens? ;)

I always smile when, living in the city, I walk past piles of carefully packages and wrapped up manure at the farmer's market or produce market bragging about where it's from - chickens, horses, cows, etc. Poop is indeed poop! And guess what - it all IS organic!

Cataholic
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Maybe they will give you some of the "fertilizer" for your gardens? ;)

I always smile when, living in the city, I walk past piles of carefully packages and wrapped up manure at the farmer's market or produce market bragging about where it's from - chickens, horses, cows, etc. Poop is indeed poop! And guess what - it all IS organic!

Karen, is that true? I mean, I know all poop is poop, and it is an organic material...in that it isn't inorganic, but I thought there WAS something special about horse/cow manure, and that was why we didn't fertilize with dog/cat poop. ???

Karen
05-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Karen, is that true? I mean, I know all poop is poop, and it is an organic material...in that it isn't inorganic, but I thought there WAS something special about horse/cow manure, and that was why we didn't fertilize with dog/cat poop. ???

Yes, the different manures have different contents, horses and cows are herbivores, and each one's contains different nutrients that get returned to the soil. Cats and dogs are meat eaters, so not nearly as useful for our gardens, and more unhelpful bacteria in it. It depends on what crop you are fertilizing, too. For Dad's rhubarb patch, he's get a wheelbarrow of bunny droppings from the family up the hill once a year, and the rhubarb is the envy of everyone around!

Edwina's Secretary
05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I've always heard elephant manure is the best for the garden....

But when I was a teenager and my mother had horses...people would come by for some manure for their gardens. Always pleased me as that meant that much less to scoop up!

Alysser
05-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I passed math!?!? I may have gotten a C, but I passed! AND it doesn't count toward my GPA (it's a basic skills class..but next semester I need to get serious). AND It's summer!! AND I am getting a much needed vacation to Canada and Disney World in July....ahhh life is good. More hiking this summer as well :)

Sorry, that was extremely random and childish but I am so happy!

ETA: AND this continues my record of never failing a class!

Karen
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Congratulations! See we KNEW you could do it! :)

Roxyluvsme13
05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I passed math!?!? I may have gotten a C, but I passed! AND it doesn't count toward my GPA (it's a basic skills class..but next semester I need to get serious). AND It's summer!! AND I am getting a much needed vacation to Canada and Disney World in July....ahhh life is good. More hiking this summer as well :)

Sorry, that was extremely random and childish but I am so happy!

ETA: AND this continues my record of never failing a class!

Congratulations, Alyssa!!! :D

Gotta toot my own horn for a minute...

I made an A in Food history, a B+ in musicology, a B in calculus, a B- in animal reproduction, and a C+ in biology!

I am so excited I could scream over the B- in repro. That class kicked my butt to the max and I am so proud for making a B-! And for my second time taking Biology, I am completely happy with my C+. It'll replace that awful D I had in the class the first time.

This better boost my GPA a ton. I have to have a 3.0 by the end of next semester to get my scholarship back!

Alysser
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Congratulations, Alyssa!!! :D

Gotta toot my own horn for a minute...

I made an A in Food history, a B+ in musicology, a B in calculus, a B- in animal reproduction, and a C+ in biology!

I am so excited I could scream over the B- in repro. That class kicked my butt to the max and I am so proud for making a B-! And for my second time taking Biology, I am completely happy with my C+. It'll replace that awful D I had in the class the first time.

This better boost my GPA a ton. I have to have a 3.0 by the end of next semester to get my scholarship back!

Thanks guys, and Bri congrats to you! That is a wonderful accomplishment :)

Karen
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I tried Turkey Hill Farms Sun Tea because I had a coupon. It is very weak tea, I was expecting something stronger from the color. So if you like your iced tea strong, skip it! My little public service announcement.

pomtzu
05-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Why are so many unpleasant memories surfacing lately - 99% of which are of the ex and our crappy marriage. This has passed and I want it to stay in the past. Leave me alone! I don't like living on the dark side! :mad:

pomtzu
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I hate that t.v. commercial for ASPCA, where they show the caged/neglected/abused dogs and cats, and the background music is Willy Nelson singing "You Were Always On My Mind". It's so sad, and always makes me teary-eyed. I wish I wasn't such a marshmallow...............:(

happylabs
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I hate that t.v. commercial for ASPCA, where they show the caged/neglected/abused dogs and cats, and the background music is Willy Nelson singing "You Were Always On My Mind". It's so sad, and always makes me teary-eyed. I wish I wasn't such a marshmallow...............:(

I know! I do not have the strength to watch it. I have to either mute it and not look or change the channel. I know I am weak. I wonder if those commercials help?

Lady's Human
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Those commercials are needless, and mainly support the ASPCA hierarchy, not local animal groups.

On another topic entirely, I bought a small pruning saw.

On the package? Warning: Blade is sharp.

I certainly hope so, it's a saw!:confused:

Alysser
08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Burn Notice has stumped and shocked me time and time again...but this episode takes the cake. :(

RICHARD
09-03-2012, 08:14 AM
What, praytell, does Band-Aid mean when they say something is waterproof? It's certainly not the same as my definition.........

Isn't Band-Aid is a fund for needy musicians?

---------------------

If you arrange to be creamated and you are overcharged, are you burned twice?

When you drive downs the street and see a "SLOW CHILDREN" sign, does that mean the kids in the neighborhood are not that bright?

Why is there a sight on my NERF gun?

Why are 'easy opening' packages hard to close and "Reclosable" packages hard to open?

Why is it when I adjust the 'brightness' level on my TV, I still get the channel the Kardashians are on?

Karen
09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Just got sent a "Recipe of the Day" for homemade potato chips. Why in God's name would anyone want to make their own potato chips, given the amount opt effort, work and precision that goes into make a good, crispy chip, when any supermarket offers a plethora of choices with no more effort than picking a bag and paying for it?

Lots ands lots of things are better when homemade, but potato chips? Nah!

RICHARD
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I do not understand why people complain about customer service all the time.

I spoke to a gent behind the counter today that was so professional it was scary.

Maybe it's the AHs that walk into businesses w/an attitude are the real problem?:mad:

Lady's Human
09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
If you had been a fly on the wall with my last round of chats with Directv you'd understand why people complain about customer service.

Don't put me on hold then say "you weren't on hold, you were just waiting for our rep. The rep was still on the line". For 20 minutes? No, sorry, nothing takes that long for a simple issue that you told me you'd take care of a month ago.

Karen
09-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Under the subcategory of weather oddities ...

We had thunderstorms yesterday, and the humidity and heat are still here, so are expecting another round today. The air is thick. I just had looked out the window, and noticed the wind was picking up, so decided to walk over and check the mail, and then move the car before the rain started. Mail hadn't come yet, moved the car, and then as I was shutting the car door rain started, big fat drops. I scooted inside, and walked to the back of the place to see if I needed to shut the screen door ... and it's not raining behind, just in front! How's that for a localized shower!

Louie and me
09-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Just thinking..... the Republicans and the Democrats together raised well over 500 million dollars in the last three months. I wonder what the election would look like and which party would be elected if they both donated all these funds to a worthy cause or even the deficit, rather than spending them on negative advertizing?

Alysser
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
I have class in an hour and a half and I'm still laying in bed. Ohh, college problems.

cassiesmom
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Tomorrow is the anniversary of September 11, 2001 - date and day. I was thinking that today has been a lot like that day -- sunny, clear and warm. A beautiful September morning. I had started a new job the previous week, and was getting ready to go train with a co-worker who worked from home. I remember Katie Couric saying on the Today show that there was a strange incident involving a plane in Manhattan. I drove out to my co-worker's house and somehow we got through the day. When I got back to the office in late afternoon, they had news streaming on one of the computers and they had followed it most of the day. That's how I found out all that had taken place. Then all the planes were grounded. I live under a busy northbound approach to O'Hare, so no planes overhead was extremely weird and quiet. Big prayers for our world.

Alysser
09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I am running on 3 hours of sleep from last night, because I was up doing math homework. I still have to study for bio and wake up at 6 AM to get there on time. Why does anyone care? I don't know. I just don't get how I am not half dead right now. The weekend couldn't come soon enough.

Karen
09-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I am running on 3 hours of sleep from last night, because I was up doing math homework. I still have to study for bio and wake up at 6 AM to get there on time. Why does anyone care? I don't know. I just don't get how I am not half dead right now. The weekend couldn't come soon enough.

Keep plugging away, kiddo! You can sleep on the weekend! We're pulling for you, you know that!

mon
09-14-2012, 12:57 AM
My dead old grandpappy said, " You can do whatever you want, grow a pair ", he was quite right.

Alysser
09-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Karen, your post made me really happy:) It's nice to know that. Sometimes, I just sit here wondering if all the stress is worth it, but this helped - thanks. I got a 90% on one quiz I had today, don't know about the 2nd on yet!

Karen
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Very good! We knew you could do it! ;)

Karen
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Today's random observation - stale mini Triscuits are REALLY popular with the squirrels and chipmunks - I have a box I had forgotten I had opened earlier this summer, so they are quite stale, but worth running off with to stash for winter, apparently!

RICHARD
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
The younger you are, the less traffic signals mean to you.

---------------

Why are the commercials you really detest are the ones that you always see?

------------

How do they fit the talking woman into the dashboard?

------------

I have all the lids that belong to your plastic storage-ware.

-------------

Why is when I look for tape (or anything else) I can't find it, I go buy another and the first roll appears later?

-------------

Why are egg rolls stuffed with meat/veggies?

Karen
09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Why are egg rolls stuffed with meat/veggies?

They are called "egg" rolls because the wrappers are traditionally an egg-based pastry. But they are also called "spring rolls" depending on where in the world you are from, and are found in many, many cultures worldwide now!

Alysser
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Just aced my second math quiz out of 6 for the semester, not to bad:D

BUT, I have a huge Bio and math test on Wednesday morning. I-AM-GOING-TO-DIE. But after, I'll be in the clear for a while ;) So hopefully I do well and ace both and well...not die.

At least this is prepping me for next semester, when I'll have 3 labs. Fun. Spring break and florida cannot come soon enough!

Karen
10-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Woo hoo - congratulations, we knew you could do it! Now if the approaching math test were addition and subtraction, I am sure Mikey would help! Example: 1 puggle + 10 cookies = 0 cookies!

Karen
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Completely random thought - the fact that I am no longer allergic to cucumbers, and can have pickles in a sandwich, makes me very happy! I had forgotten what a tasty addition they can be!

Freckles
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Dill pickles and sweet pickles? Oh that's right, they're all cucumbers.

Karen
10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes, which is something that would slip my mind when I saw the pickle dish at family holidays, I'd go to reach for it and then think, "Dang! They're all cucumbers! I can't have 'em!"

Catty1
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I sometimes hear at AA meetings: "You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber." ;)

Karen, how wonderful you can eat pickles! How many foods can you eat now? I hope you're starting to lose count!