PDA

View Full Version : GPS-Go Play in the Snow?

RICHARD
12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/john-rhoads-and-starry-bush-rhoads-stranded-three-days-after-gps-leads-them-astray/19296062?icid=main|main|dl4|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .sphere.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fjohn-rhoads-and-starry-bush-rhoads-stranded-three-days-after-gps-leads-them-astray%2F19296062

Hehehehehehe

What should that couple get for Christmas?

A 1:63,360 map, a lensatic compass and a few brain cells.

The woman inside the dashboard don't know any better.:rolleyes:

Hellow
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
How can you be so completely and utterly devoid of common sense as to blindly follow a piece of technology's directions into 1 1/2 feet of snow?

No technology is perfect, and it's suicidal to follow what it says without hesitation and/or without stopping to think about the logicality of following it.

Karen
12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
But the GPS company should have had the Forest Roads labeled "danger, do not travel" for at least December through April. Anyone with a lick of sense around those parts knows that ...

Lady's Human
12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
It isn't the GPS company's fault.

If a road is called "Forest service road XX" you're pretty safe assuming it's a seasonal road only.

I'll stick to paper maps, thank you, especially after having my GPS flake out in the middle of St. Louis traffic.

Medusa
12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Ok, this thread is scaring me. I just got a GPS for Christmas. I'm so directionally challenged that I wonder if even a GPS will help me. :confused:

pomtzu
12-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Too bad the GPS knows nothing of road construction and detours too.

My brother got hopelessly lost while trying to get me to the train station from his house at 2 a.m. one time. He had to do that very uncool, unmanly thing, and find an open convenience store and ask for directions! :eek: He had only lived in that area for a short period of time, and was still learning his way around.

He was really p.o.'ed at his "b*tch on the dash" as he fondly calls her. :p

Medusa
12-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Too bad the GPS knows nothing of road construction and detours too.

My brother got hopelessly lost while trying to get me to the train station from his house at 2 a.m. one time. He had to do that very uncool, unmanly thing, and find an open convenience store and ask for directions! :eek:

He was really p.o.'ed at his "b*tch on the dash" as he fondly calls her. :p

Ok, now I'm really scared. LOL

pomtzu
12-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok, now I'm really scared. LOL

You'll do fine! ;)

I swear by (not at) Mapquest - it's never failed me yet. I just print it out and pretty much have it memorized before I even leave the house. Of course I take the copy with me - just in case. :p

smokey the elder
12-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I have a GPS but still prefer printed directions!

caseysmom
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I love love love my gps. When I bought my daughter a car I made sure we bought one with gps for her. She has never gotten lost. She drives all over and feels secure knowing she has her gps.

Karen
12-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I have had Mapquest fail on me - it thought a street connected to another when in fact it ended in a round-about, no connection to anywhere. I like to use Google maps, and check the satellite photos as well as the maps.

RICHARD
12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a GPS but still prefer printed directions!

OR

"Just because your GPS tells you to jump off a cliff, are you going to follow?":):D

GILL
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I travel all over the US. The GPS is great, BUT you have to use common sense too. I also Mapquest as a double check. Between the two no problems for me. Yes GPS and Mapquest has failed, but by using both I don't.

caseysmom
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I travel all over the US. The GPS is great, BUT you have to use common sense too. I also Mapquest as a double check. Between the two no problems for me. Yes GPS and Mapquest has failed, but by using both I don't.

Exactly how I feel. I can't really sit and read a map while I am driving, particularly when I go into the san francisco areas, there are a lot of rapid freeway changes, etc, how can you sit and read direction through that?

Medusa
12-29-2009, 02:57 PM
OR

"Just because your GPS tells you to jump off a cliff, are you going to follow?":):D

As dain bramaged as I am, yes, probably. ;)

Pinot's Mom
12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm a tad directionally challenged myself, but have always relied on Mapquest and good old fashioned paper maps.

pomtzu
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm a tad directionally challenged myself, but have always relied on Mapquest and good old fashioned paper maps.

Mapquest is how I found my way to your house, Maggie. I didn't get lost till I couldn't find your street once I got onto the main street in your development. :p You gotta' admit - it is pretty well hidden.............:(

RICHARD
12-29-2009, 05:04 PM
As dain bramaged as I am, yes, probably. ;)

You just have to remember this little adage....

Nose to north, back to the south
Right is west and the east is what you have "left".

North is ALWAYS off your nose.;);):confused:

--------------------

http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/128976710204721099.jpg

RICHARD
12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Wheeeee!

Another couple got stuck on the SAME ROAD a few days ago.....same thing happened to them, GPS sent them there.

LOL, I have to use the saying I hate the most- They just stayed the course.

Again, cell phone tech saved their lives.:eek::o:D

-------------------

How many of you have an emergency bag inside your car for situations like that?

happylabs
12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh my... Their first mistake was driving a Toyota LOL!

I like my printed directions from Rand McNally website. My sense of direction ain't what it used to be. :D

pomtzu
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
-------------------

How many of you have an emergency bag inside your car for situations like that?

Interesting question. Let me think for a minute...............

Okay - I don't drive in bad weather.
I seldom drive at night - even in good weather.
No mountain roads around here. I think the highest point in DE is a hill about 60' above sea level. :p
ETA: I stand corrected. It's a dizzying 448'.:eek:

What kind of emergency survival kit should I have with me to go to the mall???? :eek::D

Cataholic
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I love my GPS. I have had many a diasters with online map services.

I would make the "turn left" directional come on a bit earlier than it does currently. If I am flying along at 45, I need more than 10 feet to safely execute a turn.

Asiel
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I find it handy since I'm very directionally challenged. I have to adapt my left for my right and vice versa which gets me lost many timmes . The GSP has gotten me out of many situations but if I were to drive totally unknown territory I'm not sure I would trust it, probably would follow up with the good old fashioned road maps.

DJFyrewolf36
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
My mom worked as a surveyor and map maker for many years...I grew up knowing my arse from true north lol. I also competed in orentering (sp?) in high school so I can has read a map! :D I don't trust home GPS units any more than I can throw them because the civilian GPS satalites are NOT the same as the ones the government uses and the accuracy isn't verified nearly as well.
Google Maps on my phone works well...even when I know the directions are bogus I can look at the provided map and figure my way out of most situations. If Im in a remote area that Google doesn't cover, Ill trust a good paper map.

If a paper map fails there is always bread crumbs!

Lady's Human
12-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't trust home GPS units any more than I can throw them because the civilian GPS satalites are NOT the same as the ones the government uses and the accuracy isn't verified nearly as well.

Same satellite cluster, different signal with that used to be munged, but the built in accuracy error was removed by executive order during the Clinton administration.

DJFyrewolf36
12-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Same satellite cluster, different signal with that used to be munged, but the built in accuracy error was removed by executive order during the Clinton administration.

Good to know! Satelites aren't perfect though and it would be just my luck to get one with some sort of janky error...:rolleyes:

RICHARD
12-31-2009, 08:32 AM
My mom worked as a surveyor and map maker for many years...I grew up knowing my arse from true north lol.

Do you remember the movie, "The Jerk"?

I always think of the scene where Steve Martin's brother pulls out the can of Shinola from his pocket.:)

A few years back some guy got lost with his daughter on the way back from Lost Vegas. because his GPS gave him directions down a dirt road. He got stuck in some dirt and waited hours for a tow truck.:D

Morons.

Lady's Human
12-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Good to know! Satelites aren't perfect though and it would be just my luck to get one with some sort of janky error...:rolleyes:

That's one reason why GPS is so reliable.

To get an accurate 3D location, you need known distance and angle from three points. When I've used my GPS I've rarely had fewer than 7 satellites in "view", which means even if one or two are flaky, there are 5 others that it can use.

RICHARD
12-31-2009, 08:47 AM
That's one reason why GPS is so reliable.

Saddam got to see how accurate they were first hand.:eek:

Great to know exactly where you are. Getting there is half the problem?:confused:;)

Lady's Human
12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Saddam got to see how accurate they were first hand.:eek:

I'm still mildly amused that the USAF took out his GPS jamming equipment with a JDAM..........which is a GPS guided bomb.

gini
12-31-2009, 06:19 PM
My client's son was getting married and I was invited to the wedding. The location is about 45 minutes from my home - but I left giving myself two hours travel time.

I plugged in the address of the church and off I went. I followed to the letter every turn my GPS gave me. It took me onto a freeway - took me off the freeway - traveled surface streets for a while and then had me on another freeway.

I still am carefully following the instructions and turn left when told. I ended up in the hills in an all residential area. It clearly tells me as I pull up in front of a beautiful home - YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR DESTINATION.

I must have done something wrong - made a wrong turn - didn't pay attention - I was really beating myself up and time was running out.

So I went back down the hill and started over - and ended up at the same house. Just then a woman pulled into the driveway -and I quickly got out of the car to talk to her. No, she wasn't having a wedding at her home that day - but where was I trying to go??..........I told her and she laughed - I had to go back down the hill and go across the highway.

The address I used was correct - but the GPS sent me left rather than right.

So what should have taken me 45 minutes on a Saturday took me almost my entire allotted time of 2 hours.

You DO NOT ARRIVE LATE AT YOUR CLIENT'S SON'S WEDDING!! I made it into the Church just minutes before the bride walked down the aisle.

PHEW!! So even if they can be wonderful - they can also be not so wonderful if you have a time problem.

RICHARD
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm still mildly amused that the USAF took out his GPS jamming equipment with a JDAM..........which is a GPS guided bomb.

You know tech cancels itself out eventually.:confused::o:(

Do you know what kind of watch the pilot was wearing? You know, for Time Over Target?:eek::o:D

You DO NOT ARRIVE LATE AT YOUR CLIENT'S SON'S WEDDING!! I made it into the Church just minutes before the bride walked down the aisle.

PHEW!! So even if they can be wonderful - they can also be not so wonderful if you have a time problem.

LOL, I dedicate this song to you!

Never gonna fall for
Modern Love walks beside me
Modern Love walks on by
Modern Love gets me to the Church on Time
Church on Time terrifies me
Church on Time makes me party
Church on Time puts my trust in God and Man
God and Man no confessions
God and Man no religion
God and Man don't believe
in Modern Love!

-Modern Love, D Bowie

Barbara
01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Nose to north, back to the south
Right is west and the east is what you have "left".

Things are even more strange in your end of the world than I thought.
Here west will be left if your nose points to the north ;)

(Written by a directionally challenged woman who is proud of it ;))

lizbud
01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Things are even more strange in your end of the world than I thought.
Here west will be left if your nose points to the north ;)

(Written by a directionally challenged woman who is proud of it ;))

Same here Barbara.:) Maybe it's different in fantasyland.;)

Karen
01-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Same here Barbara.:) Maybe it's different in fantasyland.;)

He could have just misremembered it!

During the day it's easy, sun rises in the East, sets in the West. At night, a compass is more helpful! :) We live on North Street, and funny enough the longer part of it is pretty directly North-South pointing, but then the street takes a 90-degree left turn, so who knows why it got its name!

RICHARD
01-03-2010, 09:34 AM
He could have just misremembered it!

During the day it's easy, sun rises in the East, sets in the West. At night, a compass is more helpful! :) We live on North Street, and funny enough the longer part of it is pretty directly North-South pointing, but then the street takes a 90-degree left turn, so who knows why it got its name!

LOL,

You all were paying attention.....It works if you are standing on your head.:D

Its a GPS joke.;)

smokey the elder
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Make sure the time setting on your GPS is accurate! I was trying to get my "current location" and it was off by about 20 miles; it turned out my time was off by about 4 minutes.

catland
01-05-2010, 12:05 PM
LOL - there is a street a few miles from my house called - (drumroll please...)

South West North Dakota.

at least I know I'm not East.:eek: