PDA

View Full Version : What doesn't kill you makes you...? UPDATE!! Post #41

Kfamr
12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Insane???

Before anyone panics, myself, my dogs, my geckos, and all of my posessions are safe.

My apartment building went up into flames this morning. They are unsure of how it happened or started. Luckily for me, it started on the other end of the building and my apartment and the one above me were "safe" to go into and retrieve our things. The others they weren't letting anyone in.

It started at around 5am this morning. I was just waking for work, pressing the snooze button more than once. I heard someone screaming and I thought it was just the people above me fighting again. It didn't sound like them though, so I threw on pajama pants and a sweater and went outside to see what was going on. My neighbor was running up and down the parking lot freaking out screaming. She had been up all night working on some things and was just about to go to bed when she heard the crackling. I looked up and saw the embers flying and flames growing.

I instantly went back in, threw Alice in a crate, leashed Mufasa, and carried the crate out. There was a neighbor that I've become friends with but lives in the buliding across from mine standing there. I handed her my dogs and went back in. I grabbed my phone, camera, phone charger and my dad's laptop as they were the closest things to the door as the fire department was yelling at me to get out. My geckos were still in there and I was trying to go and get them but they wouldn't let me. A firefighter ended up going in there and getting them for me. :)

I spent the day completely calm and keeping my neighbors sane. I stopped arguments between neighbors whose nerves were in flames as well. I comforted my neighbors and kept myself completely calm and collected. I've hugged so many complete strangers today and one guy even called me an "earth angel." I lost it after it was all over.

They ended up letting me go into my apartment at around 1pm. I called up my friends, 4 guys that live together - they ended up coming over right away and helped me pack all of my things up. My dad got me a storage room and we stuffed as much as we could in there.

Myself and the kids are at my parents for the night, I'm not sure where my life is taking me after tonight but I'm glad I'm still here and my kids are fine too. My parents neighbors are using their fireplace right now and I can't even stand the smell of it.

Karen
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Oh, dear, we are so glad you and your critters are safe! That was kind of the firefighter to get your geckos for you! Goodness, how terrible. We are very proud of you for keeping your head about you when necessary.

chocolatepuppy
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
How awful Kay.:( Thank goodness you, your dogs and geckos are ok.

pomtzu
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
How terrible, but you and your kids are safe, and that's what counts. Hopefully you'll be able to find another place to live without too much trouble.

Queen of Poop
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank goodness you all got out safely. Congratulations for maintaining your cool all day and helping those that needed it. Everything will be ok. Give yourself time to breathe now. Hugs from me, Cali and Deigo.

boomersooner
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
So glad you and your animals are safe.....glad everyone is safe.....those pictures were so scary! Fire scares the mess out of me....Good luck in getting everything straightened out.

Cinder & Smoke
12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
wow!

GOOD JOB, Kay!
You kept your :cool: and did what neeeded to be done to SAVE the Kids
and your property, AND give comfort to the neighbors!

Let us know what you need - we'll be happy to help you!! ;)

captain
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Kay - thank heavens you and all the critters are OK .....

Pinot's Mom
12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm so glad you and your pets are OK! I'm so sorry this happened! Be safe!

Grace
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm so very glad you and your critters got out safely. What a horrific experience.

Thankfully you had a safe place to go :love:

luvofallhorses
12-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Wow, Kay I am glad you got out of there in time with your pups and your geckos and you all are okay. That is my worst nightmare. :(

Lilith Cherry
12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Poor Kay! It is such a relief to know that you and menagerie are safe though... I hope everything turns out okay very soon and you find a good place to move to.

Cataholic
12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
What a horrifying experience! So glad you are safe.

cassiesmom
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Kay, I am so glad you, your dogs, and geckos are safe!

Karen
12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you ....

glad to be alive!

And we are glad you are. Did you guys have renters insurance? Do they know what started the fire?

Freedom
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Good job, Kay, keeping calm and getting yourself and your critters safe!

A Phred said get sorted, anything you need, let us know.

For now, HUGS to you, pets to the pups and good things for them and the geckos. This will leave you shaken for a few days (or more) so don't rush yourself.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm glad that you and your pets are safe.

Animalhouse26
12-28-2009, 11:06 PM
My heart Dropped when you told me this this AM. I have been thinking about you all Day! Give the babies love for me! At least your safe. Keep the family that lost there pets.. in your thoughts as the next few months wont be easy for them. I am here for you if you need me.. Know that! And Call me! I may have a roomate for you.. if u find a place and need one! :) Lub ya!

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Kay, How horrible and scary.:( I'm so glad that you and all of your kids are fine. Hopefully they'll find out what caused it. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Genny
12-29-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm so sorry about your home, but I'm glad that you and your animals are ok :love: That was real nice of the firefighter to get your geckos out safely...and that was cool of you to calm everyone while all the craziness was going on ;] I'm glad you're ok!!

Cincy'sMom
12-29-2009, 07:32 AM
How scary! Glad you and the kids are okay.

Medusa
12-29-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm so glad that what's important, you and your furkids, are safe. The rest, while it's sad that you've lost some of it, can be replaced. I'm not wealthy but if you need some financial assistance in getting reestablished, I'm happy to contribute. This is a terrible thing to happen and I don't know that I'd have the energy to start over if it were to happen to me so please let me know how I can help. Thank God you're alright! :love:

BitsyNaceyDog
12-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Oh, Kay! I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm so glad that you and your babies all got out safely.

anna_66
12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
When I first seen this on Facebook I thought your place went up too. I'm so glad to hear this isn't the case. It's not good you don't have a place to live but it's great to hear that everyone got out ok.
Best of luck finding another place!

shais_mom
12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
how scary!
I'm glad you and the pups et al are ok.
Take care!

Catherinedana
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Kay! I'm so sorry to hear this, but as everyone else said, the important this is that you and your babies are alright. You know I'm not too far away so if you need anything, please just message me and I'll help. Big hugs!!

Cathy

GILL
12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
We are so sorry. It sounds like you did every thing right, I worked with heavy rescue years ago. We are so glade that you and the kids are safe.
The best time to break down is after things have settled. Congratulations.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Ah how scary!!:( I'm so thankful that you are safe and unharmed, as well as Alica, Mufasa, and your geckos.:love: That's really awesome that you were able to maintain calm (gee I know I couldn't!), and help others around you in need- that's very special.:) I will keep you in my prayers so that the right living situations come soon.
Are any of your neighbors hurt?

Catlady711
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm glad to hear you, your pets, and your things are all ok.

This is one of the reasons I don't like apt. complexes, I can be safe with things, but I can't be sure neighbors are.

I can say this since you guys are all ok, but I've always thought that if my house ever caught on fire, I'd be shooting pix of it too. lol

Alysser
12-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Kay, I am so sorry to hear about this dreadful fire. :( I am so glad you and pets are OK though, that's one good thing that came out of this.

wolf_Q
12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh man that's so scary!! :( I'm glad you and the pups are okay! Good job at keeping your cool and helping everyone out.

DJFyrewolf36
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I am SO glad you and your furkids are safe! *HUGS* to you...I'm praying you get past this quickly.

Kfamr
12-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you all for your support.

Today I'm feeling completely worthless but I'm hoping that goes away. I need to find myself a home and soon, hopefully.

Don't get me wrong. I love my parents. I LOVE my parents. I love their home. But it's THEIR home, not mine. I grew up here, it was my home, but I never wanted to have to move back in with my parents and sleep on their couch. I just don't want to be a burden to them. I want out. I became accustomed to having a place to myself and I LOVED it. My things are all scattered amongst their home and the storage unit. I just want everything back together in life. I feel lost. :(

I have an 'appointment' tomorrow to check out a duplex that my brother's landlord has up for rent. He's willing to take the security deposit in payments and work with me. So, hopefully it's in a nice area and not a dump because I don't have any other ideas as to where to go and cannot afford much.

The part that has me most upset is the fact that I was struggling already and I had plans to get my crap together, figure out finances, getting my apartment cleaned up and more organized, etc. I had just begun this process a few days prior to the fire and was so proud of myself for doing so.

Some moments I look at this situation in a good way, a new journey... but today is just a downer. I haven't eaten today just because my nerves are a wreck and I have a terrible cold. Sorry, I'm just rambling now. Thank you all again for listening.

KYS
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
That is very scary, good thing you kept your head and did not panic.
I am so glad you and the fur kids are safe. Good luck with the Duplex
tomorrow and take care of yourself. That is a nasty cold that is going around.

Catty1
12-30-2009, 09:30 PM
You've been through a huge shock, no wonder you are so upset...your things are scattered all over, and so are you. {{{hugs}}}

Perhaps there might be some restitution for the renters who lost their home in the fire? Take care of yourself first, and then see what is happening in that regard.

Try a bit of soup or something, hon - slumping blood sugars can drag down a real downer. :love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Kay, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling lousy.:( I hope that your cold goes away quickly and that the duplex is nice and in a nice area. Good luck and take care.:)

Animalhouse26
12-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Kay, you have been through a lot the past cpl days! It will get better. Promise! Wish I had a place to offer you..But I don't. Lol I can help you look for places again..and take you to see them.. if you want me to. Just let me know. K?

anna_66
12-31-2009, 06:24 AM
It's always darkest before the light...right? I'm sure things are going to start looking bettter for you.
Good Luck on finding a place.

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
I hope you find a place soon. Hang in there.:)

Medusa
12-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Not having eaten, battling a nasty cold, just losing your home, gee, I wonder why you're down. Don't be so hard on yourself, especially w/feelings of worthlessness. All of this was outside your realm of control. I do understand how badly you want to be back in your own place and not live at your parents' but for now, allow yourself the luxury of being warm and safe and out of harm's way. The new rental that you'll see will be just the place for you to make your new start. The old has passed away in every sense of the word. New year, new home, new life. Tough? OH yeah. But you're young and strong and up to the challenge. We're praying for you unceasingly. Keep the faythe. :love:

Kfamr
12-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Guess who's holding a key to their new place? Oh... ME! :D

I just left it, I can start moving in whenever. It's 2 bedroom, potential for 3. It's a duplex. Hard to explain so you'll have to wait until I get pictures of it.

The landlord is the same guy my brother rents from and he's a really nice, workable guy. His father does the pest control and maintenance. The landlord actually buys appliances from my dad a lot.

Yay for not being homeless in the new year!!

Cinder & Smoke
12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
:)

Well, HAPPY New House!
Nice way to start the New Year - with a New House!! :D

Are the FurKids all welcome? Sure Hope so!

;)

Medusa
12-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Great news! Wonderful new start to a wonderful new year! :D You're like the Phoenix rising from the ashes, literally!

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Woo Hoo!! This is great!! :D You will have a Happy New Year after all! :)
I'm so happy for you!!

Karen
12-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Yay, and congratulations!

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
That's great news Kay! Will be looking forward to pics of your new place!:D

Catty1
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Waiting for pics, and happy you and your gang will be HOME again! :love::love::love:

beeniesmom
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Whoa, you've been through a lot!
Glad you and the critters are ok and that you've got a new place to start over.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Kay I'm thrilled that you have a new place!! Let us know how everything works out there!

Freedom
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Fantastic news! Happy New Home!

cassiesmom
12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Yay, congratulations! Happy New Year, happy new place!

krazyaboutkatz
12-31-2009, 05:56 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D It sounds great and I can't wait to see some pictures of it. Since it has more bedrooms will you have a roommate or two? This would help you with expenses.