PDA

View Full Version : Enough screaming, already!!!!

pomtzu
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I usually have the t.v. on all day - just for background noise - since silence drives me crazy.

In the afternoon, if I don't switch stations. it's usually the "idiotic" shows that are on. Ok - we all know the Jerry Springer Show is about as bad as they come, with Maury coming in a close second. Sometimes they are actually comical if you can get past the ridiculous! But what's with the screaming guests? Is that supposed to keep you interested? All it does is annoy the crap out of me! And now the Steve Wilkos Show. He's a pompous a$$, but some of his shows were almost half way decent, if you could get past his holier-than-thou attitude. Now he has screamers too!!! :eek:

What gives? Is this supposed to keep your interest? All it does for me, is make me change the channel. They must have to pay these "guests" big money to go on national t.v. and make total a$$es of themselves. I think for the most part, that they are repulsive. They sure don't have any self respect!

smokey the elder
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I work so I don't see those shows. What irritates me is the overly-loud commercials, and repeated commercials.

Cinder & Smoke
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Another example of "The Screamers" at work ...

I too leave the TV on - the Mutts are goofie enough to lie on the BigBed
and let the Idiot Box lull them into Zzzzz-land (as if they need help to sleep!)

The "4th Hour" of the NBC TODAY Show "features" ?? the "Two Dizzies" -
Hoda and KathyLee - who seem to :eek: SCREAM their entire show ?? -
and most often they SCREAM at each other at the SAME Time =
Stereo Screaming - with neither of them being understandable! :mad:

I've seen the Mutts wake up - STARE at the SCREAMING TV - then *shake* their heads and retreat to the peace & quiet of the living room.

If the on-air SCREAMING gets bad enough, I'll go in and punch the OFF button.
The *silence* becomes almost deafening. :p

Freedom
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Why not just have a radio on instead? There are some lovely channels, all classical, all opera, all 1960's - 70's (that's what I have on), all Jazz. And saves your TV picture screen / tube whatever you have!

pomtzu
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Why not just have a radio on instead? There are some lovely channels, all classical, all opera, all 1960's - 70's (that's what I have on), all Jazz. And saves your TV picture screen / tube whatever you have!

I can never find any decent radio stations that I like around here. Maybe I should just try some of the music channels that we have on cable.

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I can never find any decent radio stations that I like around here. Maybe I should just try some of the music channels that we have on cable.

Bruce is the same way and always has the TV on a music channel, ALL day long. We have dish network and they have a little bubble that tells you what you are listening to that slowly moves around the screen, sorta like a screen saver.

lizbud
12-28-2009, 05:01 PM
What irritates me is the overly-loud commercials, and repeated commercials.

Believe it or not, there is a law coming to require commercials to
lower the volume. (Make it the same as the program airing).:)

sparks19
12-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Believe it or not, there is a law coming to require commercials to
lower the volume. (Make it the same as the program airing).:)

seriously?

Thank GOD. I mean.. it's kind of sad that they need to tell these people to keep it at the same volume and not blow our ear drums out everytime a commercial comes on. Unless it's some conspiracy by otologists lol

But nothing annoys me more than loud commercials that scream at you. If anything it makes me refuse to buy their product.

Grace
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I totally agree about the screaming - and it isn't just young kids doing it, it's all ages.

I'm another one who turns on the radio instead. We have DirecTV and there is lots of good music on. I have WKAR-FM (Michigan State University) programmed on my kitchen radio. Lovely classical music.

If I'm on the computer, I tune into Sirius Classical Pops.

chocolatepuppy
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
I can't stand the car commercials on the radio! Non stop screaming! :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
There is a good free internet radio program I like. It's called
www.pandora.com

You get to pick the sort of music you like and can make your own stations. :)

lizbud
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
seriously?

Would I kid you? :) The bill passed a House vote already, but with so
many pressing issues to deal with, it might sit around for a while.:rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/23/loud.commercials/

Catlady711
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
This screaming thing goes way back, like 10 years or more, America's Funniest Videos winner. The audience voted that a kid screaming out the alphabet was worthy of $10,000.:rolleyes: The tv producers, station owners, and others took notice and gave the people what they obviously liked to hear.

sparks19
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
sweet

I liked this line from the article

Suddenly you're jolted from your couch potato demeanor by a commercial break.

LOL this is exactly what it's like... they just forgot the "and praying it hasn't scared your child out of their slumber down the hall" :eek:

I'm not DEAF I can hear what you are selling just fine at regular volume and unless your goal is to MAKE me deaf so I CAN'T hear your offer ... well ... it's working lol

Medusa
12-30-2009, 07:24 AM

That's what I was just going to suggest. During the holidays I found a channel that plays all the old traditional Christmas songs and it was really nice to listen to while I was cooking or wrapping gifts.

RICHARD
12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Stereo T.V.s are partially to blame!;)

There are times when I turn it up when I work in the kitchen and I hear things that make me think someone is either walking into the yard or opening the front door.

Some of the newer sets have a volume control that auto sets the volume across all the channels.....

kokopup
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Because I hate Commercials , I will not watch live TV. I use my DVR and record every thing that I watch. Even If I want to watch the show near real time I just start watching it 15 minutes after it started. When I fast forward through commercials the show will end at the same time . There is always at least 15 minutes of commercials per hour. If it is a 2 hour movie I wait 30 minutes before starting. Most of the time though I watch them days later. A lot of the time I will do the same for Football games and Nascar races.

Asiel
12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm the opposite, I thrive on silence so I never have the tv or radio on. If I do want music to rest by I put on a favourite disc . The tv is never on before evening around here, I find it too distracting if I'm researching something or just trying to talk to someone.

redbird
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I work so I don't see those shows. What irritates me is the overly-loud commercials, and repeated commercials.

I can't stand those loud commercials either. I did hear tho that they are going to stop that but I'm not sure just when. The commercials will not rise in sound, I hope this happens very soon.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/hats01.gif