PDA

View Full Version : a kitty question....re my Ash...

carole
12-28-2009, 01:35 AM
As you all know my Old Boy Ash is in the later stages of renal failure, however lately he has just started pulling his fur out, was a big pile there last night and we just saw him doing it again a few moments ago, has anyone any ideas as to why he is doing this, is it a dementia type thing? or stress related, he does not appear to be stressed though, and Ash has always been a very laid back kitty, nothing worries him too much.

Any clues? your input appreciated , thanks.

Medusa
12-28-2009, 07:00 AM
When cats are in late stage CRF, they do things like pull out their fur, lick cement floors, etc., according to my vet. W/my Puddy, subQ fluids stopped that behavior for a while anyhow. It's a form of dementia and Puddy later went on to do other things and had to go on meds for dementia but the subQ's helped a lot. :)

Freedom
12-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I am glad Mary had some info for you. Poor Ash, chin rubs for the sweet boy.

slick
12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, Mary is right. Max is not pulling his hair out (I might be though...:rolleyes:) but he is displaying what I believe to be dementia. If I open up the fridge, he's in there licking the veggie drawers. Sometimes I find him on the window sill licking the inside of the window - giving it a good clean, I might add. He seems to love licking objects that are cold. One time I found him licking the mirror on the outside of my closet door. I suppose I could put him on drugs for it but why bother. He's a menace to pill and I don't believe it would make his quality of life any better. I am watching for signs of hair-pulling though.

It's so hard to see this isn't it Carole? Prayers on the way for dear Ash.

catmandu
12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
It is so very hard when Our Cats get older and start to behave in odd ways.
My Older Cats Moose the MagnfiCat and Bodacious Bo Bo became so reclusive that it was hard to find them and see if they were all right.:(:(
We are adding prayers for Your Senior Kittyzen Ash :love::love: that hes not in pain, and can be with you as long as possible, and as long as his health is good.:love::love::love:

Catty1
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I know Ash is getting the best of care possible, but I seem to recall he is not getting the fluids under the skin (SubQ). That is certainly worth a try, even if the vet does it the first time. Then you can see if it makes a difference or not.

Hugs and prayers for Ash. :love::love::love:

carole
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I had discussion with the vet re Ash today,at the moment he is not displaying any other signs of dementia, infact he is quite with it other than that,I am not going to medicate him for it,I am with Slick on that one, he has enough meds as it is,it is about quality of life now not quantity i guess, and the vet is simply amazed at how long he has gone, almost 18mths,it is not typical of a cat in the stages he was to begin with, he is a hardy old boy.

I just was curious about the fur pulling, and thought it probably was some signs of dementia related to the renal failure.

As i said other than that he is doing remarkably well, and is really with it,time is probably nearly up for my ole guy, but he keeps bouncing back time and time again, and i just have to keep hope, he made with us till xmas and i had my doubts, so now we are hoping for the new year, at the moment he is eating quite well and seems happy enough.

He loves to lie on the driveway on the stones, not my idea of comfort, but he loves it ,either it is the warmth or the coolness,not sure, but that is where on a fine day you will find Ash, enjoying soaking up the rays of sunshine.

Slick glad to see Max is hanging on in there,thoughts are with you too, thanks for the support.

phesina
12-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Good wishes and prayers for Ash, and a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9867385

Medusa
12-30-2009, 06:58 AM
While looking something up for Slick, I remembered that Ash has been pulling out his hair. Take a look at this link, Carole:

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/cats/mutilators.html

Perhaps talk to your vet about it and see what s/he says. My RB Puddy had BMS among other things and I gave her B vitamin injections directly into her subQ fluids. I know that you aren't giving subQ's but perhaps your vet can give him the B vitamin injection. It helped Puddy tremendously. It's worth a shot. (Pardon the pun.) It might not be Ash's teeth at all but perhaps his tongue that is giving him the problem. From what I've read, BMS can be painful and quite annoying. If Ash's fur pulling happens again, I'd definitely take a look, if I were you. :)

carole
12-31-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the link Mary, i read it, but it does not apply to Ash IMO, he does not really do any of the behaviours mentioned, it probably is more likely to be dementia, caused by CRF so I am told, he just pulls fur out from his hind legs and lower part of his body, he did it quite a bit yesterday, luckily he has a lot of fur and you cannot really see where he is pulling it out.

I am interested in the vitamin B injections though, although a we had looked at another option to help his mouth , it is only temporary , two weeks worth of treatment that helps a little,Ellie has it with her chronic gingivitis from time to time, so that is an option i will probably pursue shortly, it will just give him some comfort,which is my ultimate at the moment.

He really displays no other signs of dementia and is really very with it in every other way,so it may not even be that,however will just keep an eye on it for the time being, he has other much more pressing matters, like keeping him eating and drinking, which for now is going quite well.

Thank you Phesina for your lovely candles, they always warm my heart and bless you for being so kind.

Thanks to everyone here for their love and continued support for Ash and I.

Medusa
12-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the link Mary, i read it, but it does not apply to Ash IMO, he does not really do any of the behaviours mentioned, it probably is more likely to be dementia, caused by CRF so I am told, he just pulls fur out from his hind legs and lower part of his body, he did it quite a bit yesterday, luckily he has a lot of fur and you cannot really see where he is pulling it out.

I am interested in the vitamin B injections though, although a we had looked at another option to help his mouth , it is only temporary , two weeks worth of treatment that helps a little,Ellie has it with her chronic gingivitis from time to time, so that is an option i will probably pursue shortly, it will just give him some comfort,which is my ultimate at the moment.

He really displays no other signs of dementia and is really very with it in every other way,so it may not even be that,however will just keep an eye on it for the time being, he has other much more pressing matters, like keeping him eating and drinking, which for now is going quite well.

Thank you Phesina for your lovely candles, they always warm my heart and bless you for being so kind.

Thanks to everyone here for their love and continued support for Ash and I.

There was an immediate turnaround w/Puddy's dementia after the B complex shots. Immediate. It's certainly worth a try. :)

moosmom
12-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Carole,

I'm so sorry about Ash. She's going through exactly what my Mollie Rose (RB2009) went through several months ago. It broke my heart watching her wilt away to nothing (she lost 4 pounds in less than 6 months).

It was then that I had to make the ultimate decision (my heart still aches) to let her go. The vet told me there was nothing left that could be done that would make her whole and healthy.

My baby lived 16 years. I break out in tears just thinking about it.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Go with your heart, Carole. And ask yourself if it's fair to Ash to keep her in a state that she is uncomfortable in. It's a difficult decision and one that is not easily made.

:love::love: and hugs,

Donna and fur crew