PDA

View Full Version : Only kitty

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I have been hashing this around in my brain since I let Taz go back in July. Then when G came to stay with us I seriously thought I'd never be able to get another cat with the way Paizly reacted to him.
She was fine with Taz. However, Taz wasn't so fine with her. He was the one that growled and fussed at her. She never made a sound toward him. She even tried to play with him sometimes. She'd attack his tail when it hung over the edge of the chair.
When G came in the house she started making sounds I've never heard from a cat before. She hissed, growled and snorted (like a pig) at him. I had to keep them separate because G would attack her.

Well, G went home on December 13th. And Paizly is like a totally different cat. Today she was in my face while I was at the computer, just rubbing all over me. Nudging my hand so I'd pet her. She usually only acts like this in the morning when I do my stretches and we have our alone time. She seems much more relaxed.

This brings me to my obvious question. Do I get another cat? I'm afraid if I did Paizly would not get along with it and I don't want to upset her life again. Doing it with G was one thing, because it was temporary and it was for a friend. I keep thinking, well I'll find a cat that is very laid back and won't care about Paizly. But I don't know if that would even work.

So I wanted to see what you all thought and experienced in your life. :) Thanks!

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Well this is a tough one to answer. As I'm typing this 3 of my cats(Storm,Sky,and Ziggy) are fighting and chasing each other.:( Paizly was still a little kitten when she was introduced to Taz so all she wanted to do was to play with him. She was older when you had G staying with you but it seems like he didn't like other cats so maybe she also sensed this and this is why she hated him. I've always found it easier to introduce a younger new cat to my already owned cats because they don't seem to cause as much of a threat to them. Yes, there will still be hissing and growling but I've been lucky and it's never taken more than 1 week to stop.

The main problem with getting another kitten is that you really don't know what their true personality will be like. You'd hate to get an alpha cat. I'd also recommend that if you get another cat that it be a male. If I had 2 females like my Pearl, there would be a lot of fighting and most likely pee wars around here. I'm very lucky that Ziggy and Pearl are total opposites. Getting another cat/kitten would provide Paizly with a good play buddy and companion though. If you think she'd like another kitty then I say go for it but if you think she should be an only kitty then do what's best for her. Cats usually never get along all of the time just like kids. Good luck.:)

katladyd
12-28-2009, 12:56 AM
My Mac was an only kitty for the first couple of years I had him. I really wanted another cat, but Mac is definitely an Alpha and I did not know how he would take another cat in the house.
To make a long story short, I was in Pet Smart, looking for a scratching post, when I saw a cage full of lovely Siamese kittens. Ming stood out because of his beautiful coloring and sweet disposition. I brought him home and Mac wasn't any too happy about it, but he adjusted. Now, they are not exactly best friends, but they basically get along. They even sleep next to each other at night sometimes. Ming is my son's cat and they love each other dearly! I love having two so much, I talked my boyfriend into doing the same. Now he has two and loves it! I think most cats get along, if you give it time. I think Paizly would take to a kitten more than another grown cat. If you decided to try for two, a kitten may be nice.

Medusa
12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm probably not going to be much help w/this question but here's my experience: I smootly and w/absolutely no trouble or problems at all added Creamsicle, Yoda and Coco Puff to the Fur Posse. The transition was so smooth, it was dreamy. If all intros would go that way, it would be heavenly. However, when I added Pidge to the family, Peeka hated her. I swear you could see steam coming out of that cat's ears! It also started pee wars and yes, females do vertical spraying no matter what anyone tells you. She beat up Pidge and stalked her day and night and Pidge spent most of her time under my bed for years until I added Creamsicle to the family. For some reason, then all stalking, beatings and bad behavior stopped. It was as though Creamsicle was the tranquilizer. Pidge was the sweetest, most unassuming cat in the world but Peeka couldn't stand her. Maybe she was jealous b/c Boo and Pidge were sweethearts and Boo was Peeka's brother. I don't know. That's human thinking but it's all I've got. So....I think cats are like people in this one way, that sometimes they like other cats and sometimes they just don't and we can't know how it will go until we introduce them to each other. Sorry, Cindy. I know I probably just made it more difficult for you. :confused:

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
A big thank you to all three of you.
Tracey, I would definitely get a male cat anyway. That's my plan. Here's my criteria for another cat:
male
shorthair
gets along with dogs and cats
doesn't need a "calm quiet household"

As for the age, I was trying to avoid a kitten because there are so many adult kitties out there that need homes. The adoption counselors at ARF said the same thing, that I would probably need to get a kitten. Because older cats are more set in their ways and the shelter has no clue if that cat gets along with dogs (unless it was in a foster home with dogs for some reason).

I'd love to have the experience Mary had with Creamsicle, Yoda and Coco Puff. But that cannot be guaranteed. I also need to take into consideration the dogs and Bruce. I know Bruce isn't thrilled with the idea of another animal anyway. And I think a hyper little kitten would be even more of a problem. He does work from home.
However, my hopes would be that Paizly and the cat would entertain each other. Right now Paizly sits on Bruce's desk or in his lap while he works. Sometimes she gets in the way.

It is my dream to have two kitties curled up together like the cat piles I see here on PT.

Again, thank you guys for your input. I will definitely take everything into account. I might need to just talk to Bruce about it and tell him that a kitten is the best option. I don't know if I am ready for the activeness of a kitten though. LOL I do know I am not rushing into anything. It may be months before anything happens. We shall see......:D

katladyd
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I think true hate and pee wars are rare. They happen, but not that often. In my experience, you keep them seperated for a few days until curiosity kills them! Then, you bring the new cat out in a carrier for awhile. Next, you let the new cat roam the house for a little bit while the other cat is locked in another room. After doing this, they generally get along pretty well because they are used to each other's scents. It took a month with my two, and only three days with my boyfriend's two. His are best buddies now and will not be seperated! They have bonded deeply and are very close. We refer to them as siblings.

Scooter's Mom
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I think true hate and pee wars are rare. They happen, but not that often. In my experience, you keep them seperated for a few days until curiosity kills them! Then, you bring the new cat out in a carrier for awhile. Next, you let the new cat roam the house for a little bit while the other cat is locked in another room. After doing this, they generally get along pretty well because they are used to each other's scents. It took a month with my two, and only three days with my boyfriend's two. His are best buddies now and will not be seperated! They have bonded deeply and are very close. We refer to them as siblings.

I've experienced true hate and pee wars twice... with two sets of kitties. It hasn't stopped me from giving kitties a home where they'll be loved and cared for. I've just made accommodations to keep the kitties separated. They all get love and affection, and don't have to see one another. It's a win-win.

RedHedd
12-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I had to contact Nancy the pet psychic when I was faced with this dilemma after Mishi died. Nancy called me back SO fast because Mitzi was yelling to get her and my attention that she did NOT want another kitteh in the house. I am so glad I listened. Mitzi is so much happier as an only kitty; some cats are just like that. The household is much happier too.

Perhaps contact Nancy to get her feedback on what Ms. Paizly wants

catmandu
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
There is no set rule to having a New Cat fit in with the resident Cats.:love::love:
I was most fortunate in having such warm Older Cats like Moose, Mr Scrappy and the Siamese Six Pack to welcome New Arrivals.
Now there are Joseph and Michael and My Princess and the Kitten Trio and Tubster Panther.:love::love:
Although he and Pouncer Roccalno seem to be rather bitter enemies and that may hinder her being a Found Cat.
I would go to a shelter and look for a Friendly Mature Male and pray for the best.:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Crystal, Georgia and Gary, you all make good points. But I wouldn't want to have a cat that I'd have to keep locked in a bedroom all the time. I felt horrible that G had to stay in there like he did. It just stresses me out too much. Our house is not set up to do it any other way, except when we leave for the weekend. One cat could have their own half of the house.

How much does Nancy charge? That could be an option. Or I could just try to find a mellow male like Gary suggested and test it. But then again, if I can avoid any unnecessary stress on Paizly that would be great!
Ugh, now I'm stressing about stressing! LOL Who knows? Maybe something will fall in my lap sorta like little Ms Paizly Poo did. :p I check out the kitties at ARF all the time anyway. :)
Thanks you guys!

Moesha
12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
My Morgan was a dream cat. He was the first one and he really complained at all when any of the others arrived. Granted most showed up outside, but they still wander inside often. He wasn't crazy about Aroara coming as a kitten. But only because she would play with his tail. He was pretty laid back. Now the girls are a totally different story. Simone hated every other cat that showed up even though they were outside. She loved Morgan though. Very similar situation with Aroara. You know the situation with Schroeder. Lemon spends most of her time inside now. Aroara isn't thrilled with her, but I did see them both on the back of the couch right now. Although Lemon was here before Aroara. I am still trying to decide about a kitten. If I get another cat, which I am really considering, it will have to be a male kitten. But if you could get a laid back adult male from the rescue and try it out and it doesn't work out, ask if they would take it back. That's what they offered to do with Schroeder before I got him. I am with you about not bringing one in to live in a bedroom. Make sure to keep us posted!

katladyd
12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh, that would be terrible to have to have one live in a bedroom! I was just suggesting that, at first, the new cat would stay there. This went on for about a month with Ming. Then he just flew out of the room one day, ran into Mac, had a fight with him, and then they each went and got something to eat. I dont' think too many cats love each other on site, but most do learn to tolerate each other. Look at Gary's cats.:)

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Moe, the shelter would take the cat back without question. I just wouldn't get the adoption fee back (which for an adult cat is only $50).

katladyd, oh I know you weren't saying to leave the cat in the bedroom. Someone else mentioned they have just kept cats separated. I was just saying the only way for me to do that is to keep one in the room. As you said, I would keep the new cat in the bedroom for the transition time. That's what I did with Paizly when she came here. We have baby gates we used when G was here because he was too big to jump them. When Paizly was a kitten she'd scale two gates stacked on top of each other! :eek:

There was an adult cat at the shelter that reminded me so much of my Taz. He is considered a senior at 7 years old but I got tears in my eyes when I saw him. He was returned to ARF after a year because the first adopter was evicted from their place. :( The adoption counselors weren't sure how he'd do with two active dogs. They said he is fine with cats though. I really need one that can handle dogs chasing them. The dogs do not hurt the cat they just think it's fun to chase them. Of course I don't let them when I'm home, but I'm not home all day with them.

Moesha, I hope you can someday get another kitty. I hope I will too! :D I'm not going back to volunteer at the shelter again until the 9th, so maybe there will be some new cats there. I might even see if I can visit with a couple. They will let me if they know I'm interested in adopting. I'm not part of the socializing of the cats in the volunteer program......yet.

Thanks again for all your support everyone. Another reason I love pet talk! :D

Moesha
12-28-2009, 09:12 PM
The rescue that I used would give 75% if you returned within two weeks. Even though I contacted them within the 2 weeks to say I needed to return Schroeder, since they didn't get around to making arrangements for another two weeks, they kept my $100. I probably would have donated it to them anyway, but I thought they should have at least offered. Oh well. Schroeder has been a cash cow for them. Adopted and returned 3 times. I do hope he gets a home. He isn't listed on their petfinder page. I've been afraid to inquire about him.

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Cindy, you don't really need to a get a small kitten. I adopted Sunny when he was 8 months old and he fit in just fine after only 3 days. If I had a dog I also found out that he was dog friendly too. Storm was about 1 year old when I adopted him and he was only by himself for a few months. I then adopted an adult male cat but he didn't like Storm. Storm wanted to play with him but he wanted to attack Storm and then the new cat started peeing every where. I was able to return him and adopt a kitten instead. My RB Pepper and Storm bonded in only 1 hour.:) It was the sweetest thing. Storm started washing him and they became best friends quickly.

Another time I adopted a semi-feral cat and he was about 8 months old or so. He and Sunny bonded but Storm hated him.:( I thought that things would get better with time but after 2 years things got much worse. His name was Cirrus and he was trying to become the alpha cat and take over the house hold. Storm is the alpha and he wouldn't let this happen so they'd fight every day. I also had Sky by this time and Cirrus was also attacking him. Sunny was the only cat that he still seemed to like. I had to return him to his rescue group but now he has a much better home.

Sky was about 1 year old when I adopted him and I didn't have a roommate at the time so I was able to keep him in the spare bedroom for 1 week and slowly introduce him. He did great and he loves other cats. He had also been returned back to the shelter once before because the people said that their cats started peeing outside of the box. I guess they didn't like Sky.

When I introduced Pearl, RB Starr, and Ziggy, I just let them be out with the others and within a few days everyone was used to them and the hissing and growling stopped. As they got older I had some problems because they got bigger and personalities also changed.

You just never know how animals will react to each other. I've heard of siblings that have been raised together for years and then something changes and one of them doesn't like the other one. I hope that you'll be able to adopt another laid back male cat that both your dogs and Paizly will approve of and that everyone will get along and live happily ever after. Good luck.:)

Moesha
12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I would have kept Schroeder if the problem was Aroara not liking him. She was just letting him know she was unhappy, but I'm sure she would have adjusted. Schroeder was the one with the problem in that situation.

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
You are right Tracey. But I'm just afraid I'd be crushed to have to take a cat back. In the situation of G and Paizly, G was three times bigger than Paizly. So I was very afraid he'd hurt her.

Moe, I know the whole Shroeder thing was very difficult for you. And I know you did everything possible to make it work. Like others have said, sometimes they just don't get along.

My original plan was to look for an adult cat. Adult at my shelter is 6 months and up. So that's still the plan. It's not really kitten season anymore anyway. There should be plenty of young cats that need homes too.

I think I will just let Taz pick the right kitty for me. :D I'll know it's right when it happens. (I hope:p)

RedHedd
12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Nancy doesn't charge very much at all - somewhere around $35 for a reading. She's been giving me free updates too; well worth my initial investment.

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Nancy doesn't charge very much at all - somewhere around $35 for a reading. She's been giving me free updates too; well worth my initial investment.

Can you PM me her info, please? :D

slick
12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I used Nancy when my RB Speckles passed. I wanted to know if getting another kitty for Max would be a good idea. Well, Nancy made no hesitation either in informing me that Max absolutely wanted no other cats in the house period. I did see a noticable difference when Speckles left so I know I made the right decision.

Just looking at it from the outside and trying not to make any judgement calls here, my gut instinct screams "do not get another kitty", then again, I don't really know your "household behaviour". Sometimes kitties will surprise us.