PDA

View Full Version : 2009 what did you give christmas thread?

joycenalex
12-26-2009, 08:40 AM
....well?
the kira, diabetic cat of the cat pack is getting dental work for her bad teeth on tuesday (..:rolleyes::eek:). there were high quality nip packages for all of the cat pack, princess peanut got collar bling. eileen is going to florida on new years eve...southwest airfare cards rock....mom got a care package, she's on a minute fixed income and she kept talking about agave sweetner so she got 2 types of that, a supermarket gift card, i loaded her coffee shop card (how starbucky is a 75 yr old hanging out a coffee shop? LOL)up. helena got a bike, which she doesn't know about yet...
i know i'm so blessed in being able to give those i love 'things' but i get them (meaning my loved ones and a lot of sunshine this morning...) in return, and i'm the one who makes out the best. happy days to all...

AllAmericanPUP
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
unfortunately not much this year, money is really tight.

i got my nephew a pirate ship that turns into 30 different pirate boats/ships, my neice a small playhouse and my sister some pink fleece pj's.

we didn't do much gift exchanging this year and that is fine with everyone, as long as the children have something under the tree then we're all happy

Pinot's Mom
12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Pinot got various toys, including a straw ball she hasn't stopped playing with! My family members got "gift bags" as they do each year, with an ornament, some fancy snackies and either coffee or wine depending on their preference (so it was either a breakfast bag or a wine bag); we stopped real "gifts" long ago. My husband got a 6 qt. cast iron dutch oven for his winter camping trips with the guys, as well as Ralph Stanley's biography, a Levon Helms CD, Ravens stadium chairs, and some stocking stuffers.:)

JenBKR
12-26-2009, 10:57 AM
It was all about Ty this year, since he's 2 now and understands more what's going on. He got a ride on train with tracks, Mickey Mouse clubhouse magic train set, a kitchen, a workbench, clothes, a play piano, and a bit more that I can't remember offhand now. It was truly a great Christmas, watching him with his gifts was all the gift I need :D

We also got my mom a netbook laptop...she watches Ty for me when I work a couple days a week so it was a thank you gift as well as Christmas.

sparks19
12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Well... I won't list ALL the stuff we gave Hannah for Christmas lol... it's a long list :)

We gave each other a book (we decided not to really buy for each other this year)

WE gave Brians mom a pillow with everyone's name on it laid out like a scrabble game.

like this
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27659111

and Brians dad got ceramic photo coasters with pictures of his grandkids on them.

I got my mom a whole bunch of bath stuff from etsy. whipped soap, bubble baths, bath salts. She loves to take baths and takes one everyday after work to unwind.

Got my step dad a sign for his garage that he has transformed into a game room that says "what happens in the garage stays in the garage" lol

My dad (although I haven't sent it yet... waiting for the post office to get back to normal) is getting a bunch of homemade goodies like cookies and peanut butter balls and stuff.

I got my neices and nephews disney trading pins (they collect and trade them) and my youngest neice some clothes.

i think that's everything :)

Catty1
12-26-2009, 12:21 PM
To Mom - the book by Theo Fleury, AUTOGRAPHED! Got word of his last book signing. She is a huge Calgary Flames fan, and Theo retired as a Flame. He and my cousin Rob played hockey together when they were juniors.

I also got her and I a wee book "from Santa" - John Gilchrist is a well-known restaurant reviewer in our area. I saw him selling and signing books at Calgary's Farmer's Market at Currie Barracks - 25% of the sales were going to the Rockyview Hospital Mental Health dept...the book is called Cheap Eats.

My best friend - MORE diabetic socks to keep her feet toasty; her fiance got two balaclavas ("masks") and another friend who couldn't make it to dinner and suffers from depression got my copy of The Blue Day Book - A Guide to Cheering Yourself Up. Each page has animals and their facial expressions in it along with the captions...it's a small book but priceless.

And I was able to give a dinner at my place this year...and pretty up my dining room. Best Christmas day I can ever remember having!:D

Medusa
12-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I gave my hospitality and a good meal this year. I usually do that anyhow but this year it's pretty much all I gave except to my son. I've had some unusally large vet bills this year and especially this month and I didn't want to make credit card purchases. I served a good home-cooked meal and made people feel at home. I think it was appreciated.

Grace
12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
The grandsons got Barnes & Noble gift cards, plus a generous check for each of them. They :love: this type of gift.

Magazine subscriptions to my son and daughter-in-law, plus books for each of them. Shirt from LL Bean and B&N gift card for my brother.

Douglas and I no longer exchange - we donate to our local Humane Society and a small Raptor Rescue organization.

carole
12-26-2009, 03:45 PM
We gave our great nephew a game and some sweets for xmas. my mother some gold embossed xmas tea towels and dad some socks, my daughter, she wanted her hair dyed professionally, so we gave her that, and some vouchers to get some jewellery for her new face piercing,a part for her car,a beauty voucher, my son a subway card loaded with some dollars, a book gift card for his girlfriend Amber, and a movie card loaded with some dollars.,some coffee,some russian fudge and a bottle of champagne.

Hubby got some polo shirts and online suduko.

The kitties got some treat food, which they mostly turned their noses up at, nawtee kitties and their injections,maybe not what they really wanted but what they really needed lol.

I made some xmas cookies for my elderly neighbour and xmas chocolates too.

k9krazee
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The best gift that I gave was a couple framed 8x10 pictures to my boyfriend's mom of her 3 boys that I took by the beach. She absolutely loved them.

cali
12-27-2009, 03:09 PM
my stepmom:
a Lavander bath gift set

my dad:
a doggie daycare package(he just bought a new house and also just had surgery on his knee, so he has not been able to get his wild young cattle dog mix out of the house)

my mom:
a tool box(hey SHE picked it out!)

my brother:
a Best Buy gift card

my BFF:
some DVDs she wanted

my BFF's BF:
an Oilers stocking

my godson:
a fleece sweater and some mittens

my critters:
a new collar for Misty, a soccer ball for Happy, a Wubba for Ladybug, a winter suit for Rusty, a chew bone for Electra, and a big dog dish(used as a swimming pool/hide) for Miami

Husky_mom
12-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I haven´t officialy given anything yet.. hehe except my dad and kid..lol (still waiting for my shippings to arrive) but here´s what they´ll be getting:

kid: toys toys toys.. haha..many bakugan spheres, a knect rollercoaster, a ben 10 jacket and a video game (which still is wrapped, will wait so hubby gives that one to him)

hubs:perfume, countless tie, cufflink sets.. lol.. a chalkboard mug(you can write on it :p) and some shirt.. I actually forgot whe I put those..lol.. the tie sets are still in transit..

dad: perfume and chocolate turtles

mom: watch(pending) little decor houses for her village and chocolate turtles

bro: dragon bracelet, cards tie and watch
sis: a watch
nephew: a soccer game goals
bil:l no clue
other bil: shirt

mil: jacket and turtleneck
fil: perfume

jennielynn1970
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Most of what I gave this year was clothes. Dave really needed some new tshirts and I don't think he even had a sweater to wear, so I got him a bunch of those. I also got him a jacket from LL Bean that will be good for him working outside (it's water and oil resistant), and a pair of winter boots to keep his tootsies warm, lol. Sorel makes good boots, and he needed more than just the steel toe boots he had for work.

For Dave's girls, well, can I just say I had way too much fun shopping for them?? I went to Aeropostale and Hot Topic and American Eagle. Got them jackets and hoodies and long sleeved tshirts. They loved what they got, and I was so thrilled, because the one daughter is a tough cookie to please.

My mom... I gave her a clay jar that I made in one of my after school flex programs. It was really ugly, and just so hideous, lol. But they made me promise I wouldn't buy them anything, so I said you have to display this proudly because it is a work of art from your child, lol. It was supposed to be based on the old medicine jugs they had in the south, where they had scarey faces on them and all that. So, it was supposed to be ugly, lol.

My dad, I made him fudge. The only problem is, like always, my fudge never turns out right. Either you eat it with a spoon, or in this year's case, you have to smash it with a hammer (which is what dad did). It got so hard, it was like a 5lb hockey puck, lol. Seriously!!! Dave ended up making a new batch of fudge, with a different recipe, and his turned out great, so I did have something to give him. But like a true dad, he loved the hockey puck fudge, and insists on eating it even though it'll crack your teeth!

TamanduaGirl
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Pua got tomatoes and I gave her one of my roses and will let her have the rest later. I got her a dress and I got a cat condo for Jake and a coat for Quasi and A sweater outfit and a special cave bed for Pua. I got the dogs chews and some cat treats for the cats. The dogs got some toys from someone else so I didn't get them any. I got my mom a pocket watch. I gave my dad one of my anteater calendars and a mug but he asked for those. There were a couple people I should have gotten something for this year and didn't though.

cassiesmom
12-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I gave a sweater to my mom, and my mom and I together gave a sweater to my dad.

I had my nephew in the family secret Santa. He likes to cook so I gave him little glass mugs with a metal handle for espresso; and he goes back and forth to work via the train in winter, so I gave him a 1/4 zip pull-over -- he wears lots of layers because he walks from the train station to work as well as to home. I could shop for him for hours and hours, because he has a lot of interests.

I gave pillar candles to my 3 teammates at work, and little hand-made snowman ornaments to my two stand partners in the church praise band.

And I gave Cassie a can of Fancy Feast, which she l-o-v-e-d!

anna_66
12-27-2009, 09:23 PM
We did a few gift cards from my work (Red Lobster) this year.
One to my dad, a couple to friends and one to my brother.

Mom got a bunch of things-her favorite perfume, a diecast Tony Stewart car-Denny Hamlin shirt-lip stuff-dead sea body scrub and some other things I can't remember

Coworks-Yankee Candles(I bought them in bulk this year!)
I also made chocolate covered Oreos and gave those

Niece & Nephew and their girls-Dallas Cowboy hat, Yankee Candle, scrapbook stuff-kitchen towels
their girls got a game each-Gator Golf and Twister Hopscotch

One friend got a Kyle Busch die cast dirt car

Genny
12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Ididn't have to buy for many people, but here's what I got everyone..

I got my mom a pair of jeans and purse from Old Navy and a pair of shoes. I told her I'd get her something else...I just feel like that wasn't enough for my mom...she buys me stuff all year ya know? I got my dad a big tool box. I got my grandparents both socks and a shirt. I got my uncle some pajamas. I bought my little brother a pellet (sp?) gun. It's the sice of a bb gun-it's pretty cool. I got my older brother 2 flannel button up shirts from AE. I bought my little neice a kid's digital camera. It is the coolest things! She can actually take pics on it and then go back and flip thru the pictures she has made. She really likes it which I'm glad cause she's hard to buy for sometimes...but it's really neato I even like it lol ;] I bought my 2 little nephews a game for their Nintendo DS. I reckon that's all! OH..and I bought Angel (my dog) a little rain jacket to wear out in the cold, but she doesn't like it very much! lol

krazyaboutkatz
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
We stopped buying gifts a long time ago for the adults but I still get my parents something.

I never know what to get my nieces and nephews so I just send a check to their parents with their Christmas card and let them decide.

I gave my Dad some money and a gift certificate to Home Town Buffet which is his favorite place to eat these days.

I gave my Mom some money, an angel Christmas tree ornament, and a nice soft warm blanket.

A long time ago I bought my roommate some vests that she really wanted and needed. I also gave her some snowball cookies that I baked and a few bags of the Christmas Peanut M&M's.

My cats got yummy canned food but I still need to buy them some grain free treats. They still have plenty of toys, beds, and cat trees.

happylabs
12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Well, I ate bologna and cheese sandwiches for a week so I would have extra money to get my kids (ages 20 and 22) gifts.

My daughter got a lot of practical gifts. I got her a mirrored jewelry box, a traveling jewelry wrap thingy, a bed in a bag (that she picked out), two pair of clogs, a furry moon chair for her dorm room, a video and some make-up brushes.

My son and his fiance wanted a Brita water pitcher because they live in the city now and the water is terrible so I got them the pitcher. I got my son two games, two videos and a kit to make a tin can robot (he loved it!). I also gave them a gift card to Olive Garden and some fancy cheeses.

The cats got some treats and some extra canned food on Christmas.

I say this every year, but next year I am going to try to save some money before Christmas.

Medusa
12-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I say this every year, but next year I am going to try to save some money before Christmas.

See my signature. Happens to the best of us. :love:

pomtzu
12-28-2009, 08:59 AM
As usual - more than I had planned........:eek: Thankfully, I don't have a lot of people to buy for.

Granddaughter:
Assorted candy
Book - The Lost Symbol
Dove bath and body set
Pic frame - big frame with 8 different frames set into it
Earrings
Nail polish
Purse
Patriots tree ornament
5 piece luggage set - she's off to college next year

Grandson:
Assorted candy
2 long sleeve pullover shirts
Zip front hoodie
2 Monster trucks
Stainless steel water bottle
4 pair gloves (he's forever losing them)
Binocular/digital camera combo
Wii tower - to hold all his games and controlers

Son:
Squishy pillow - looks like a bag of peanut M&M's
Book - This Old Harley (a history of Harley Cycles)
Cashews
Set of wrenches
Industrial scissors for his workshop
Tripod flashlight

DIL:
Assorted candy
Cake pan - the one that bakes a huge cupcake
Purple fleece jacket from the Animal Rescue Site
Kitty fleece pj's
2 pair fuzzy socks
Tinkerbell lounge pants - she's a Tink nut!

Son and DIL together:
One pound bag Starbucks coffee
16 speed Oster blender

Brother
Tapestry throw
Motion activated Christmas decoration

The pups:
Homemade dog cookies
Assorted dog treats
Interactive ball -drives Myndi crazy! It's like a bump and go toy - looks like a baseball and is hard plastic and too big for them to get in their mouth. She chases it all around and growls and pounces on it. Really funny to watch!

Other doggie friends and relatives got my homemade doggie cookies.

I am now so broke - but I always have a blast buying for everybody. I love buying better than receiving.........;)

joycenalex
12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
i purely love reading these responses.......i think b/c we are pet people we are of course more creative and talented then the non PT humans (this is sarcasm:p). as lomg as my mom is around i'll give her gifts, she's on a fixed income and she would have never ever bought that sweetner for herself. i enjoy being able to give small treats that she can use all thru the year.....except i've never gotten the undies and socks that santa used to bring to us kids...hmmmm....maybe later? ;)