PDA

View Full Version : Keys locked in my car!

Moesha
12-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I thought I would be productive today and get some things done around here that needed to be done for awhile. Yesterday I changed the oil in my car. Today I decided I would clean out the inside and the trunk. I got it all vacuumed and had the mats inside the house to vacuum them. I unloaded everything from the trunk. I was getting ready to start putting the mats back and realized the doors are locked and the keys are on the front seat. I must have either hit the button on the key or on the door while leaning over vacuuming the floor. I don't have anywhere that I have to go today or really tomorrow either. But I would like my keys back. I have roadside assistance with my insurance company and with Verizon and Mitsubishi. So I wouldn't have to pay to have a locksmith come out and open the car for me. I just feel bad making someone, who probably has the day off today, come out here an unlock the door. I also have access to AAA, since my mom has it. I think that a friend of ours that lives about 5 minutes away is a AAA representative for towing. I wonder if he unlocks doors also. I'm not sure if we can just call him though. We may have to call AAA and have them send someone. I'm out in the country, so unless it is someone local, they'll have a very hard time finding me. There used to be a locksmith that lived half a mile away, but I don't think he is there anymore. Oh well. What can I mess up next? :rolleyes:

3Catcondo
12-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh no Moe. At least you have plenty of options for getting the keys out. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Husky_mom
12-25-2009, 12:14 PM
hehe.. at least youīre home and not stranded somewhere out in the cold..lol

unlocking a car is like a 30 seconds thing... if you can find someone to do it it wonīt take much ... maybe except the time to get over there.. you can call and ask..

what kind of lock does it has?..

Moesha
12-25-2009, 01:03 PM
The lock in a flip type lock on the door and is rather tight. I do have automatic door locks, so pushing a button would unlock all of them. It is a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant. I don't want to take a chance of damaging the door seal and trying to open it myself. I have access to several other cars, from my parents or my sister and her husband, if I needed to go somewhere. I don't want to upset someone by making them come way out here to open my car on a holiday since I don't really need to get in it today. I wouldn't have a minute's hesitation calling someone if I were stuck out somewhere else. When I bought the car it only came with one key. In 2009, Mitsubishi stopped making valet keys. The automatic door unlocking feature is built in to the keys also making it impossible to get an extra key made anywhere except at a dealership. They cost $125 there.

kokopup
12-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I feel for you, I have been in your shoes many times over the years. I have done everything from the Coathanger trick to calling AAA. Day before yesterday my wife called me from Walmart telling me she had lost her keys. She thinks she left them in the buggy but by the time she realized she needed her keys someone was pushing them around the store. I had to go to Walmart with our spare set that came with the car. Luckily someone turned them in and she was able to retrieve them yesterday.

Husky_mom
12-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I think is nice from you to wait a day or two.. very nice.. :)

and yeah you should probably wait.. donīt wanna mess up the seal.. and i hate how $$ duplicate keys can be..

one time I left the keys in teh trunk.. luckily it didnīt locked as the trunk opens from inside only so i was lucky it wasnīt locked and i was able to get them out hehe..

redbird
12-25-2009, 02:07 PM
This happened to me a few years back and I just called the local police and they came with a hanger and opened it in no time at all. Most people do use a wire hanger to get locked doors open, they get to the lock from the window they open with the hanger. Some people know how to do it themselves but I don't :confused:

Catlady711
12-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I had that happen to me earlier this year. Ended up having to have my mom come over with a set of keys to my house so I could get in there to retrieve my extra set of car keys. :rolleyes:

I always fear doing that (not that I have very often) which is why I insisted my new car have one of those keyless entry pads installed. lol

It sucks to realize you've locked the doors AFTER you've already shut the door and can't do anything about it.

Medusa
12-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I know that sinking feeling when you realize that you've just closed the door on a locked car w/your keys inside. I'm sorry, Mo. I hope it wasn't too tough for you. :)

kitten645
12-26-2009, 09:53 AM
So sorry. That so sucks. And I agree it is super sweet of you to think of someone who is "on call" on Christmas day.
My friend recently locked herself out and using her cell phone, they were able to unlock the car without anyone coming out. I'll have to get the details from her tomorrow.

Moesha
12-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I had no idea that the doors were locked until I went to put the mats back inside.

I decided the fastest way to get them open would be for me to call someone local and pay them and then turn that into my insurance company and be reimbursed through my roadside assistance. Well, I called two places, one of whom is a AAA representative. Neither one of them would come out. Both told me to call central dispatch and have a deputy come out and do it. So, that's what I did. I'm waiting for him to arrive now. I know that several years ago our local police department wouldn't do that for anyone unless someone was trapped inside. In fact, about 4 years ago, they did have to come out and unlock my sister's car because my 4 year old niece and 2 year old nephew were asleep inside her car that accidentally got locked. My nephew woke up, but couldn't figure out how to unlock the doors. My niece slept through the whole thing. I guess if I had known the police department was who would be coming out to do this, I could have called yesterday on the holiday. Oh well. Here's hoping I can get in the car shortly!

ETA: That took all of maybe 2 minutes, including scraping the frost off of the window so he could see inside.

DJFyrewolf36
12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
It was nice of the police to come do that for you, and that it didn't take that long for them to arrive! I'm sure around here it would take until doomsday for someone to show, and probibly then about 2 hours worth of questions to make sure its actually YOUR car...:rolleyes:

I tend to be very absent minded hence why my neighbor and my husband all have keys to my car lol.