PDA

View Full Version : poor birds... :'(

Sam's My Baby
10-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Today we had to watch a movie in school and it was about endangered species. they talked about a lot of animals that were endangered, and then they talked about parrots and other exotic birds and they said that millions of birds are shipped legally & illegally from the wild every year & a lot of them die on thier way there. Just to think of being snached from the wild like that..then being stuck in a cage!:( they also showed some birds being captured, and this one poor parrot, omg, they showed these people capturing it and they were holding it and then they clipped its wings with a saw and the bird was screeching and then they tied a rope on its leg and tied it to the ground I have no idea why and it was screaming the poor bird! I just love birdies and I wanted to cry!:( :( :( i was sooo sad. Sorry if i sound dumb I had to tell someone. :( :( :( :( :(
:(

jenluckenbach
10-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Trust me, you do not sound dumb. Sensitivity towards animals is a gift that more people should share. What they are doing is wrong and all the money in the world should not allow things loke that to happen, but unfortunately it does. But maybe if more people, like you, who are senitive to animals needs, can some day make a big difference. Thank you for sharing this story. The more you talk about these horrible acts the more people can become aware of the things that go on around them. That is a good first step towards solving these problems.

TheAntiPam
10-11-2002, 07:10 PM
You sound smart (and caring) to me! I learned from my cats that the spark of life inside of them (or any creature) is precious and worth honoring - and it is never stupid or silly to feel connected to another being.

I'm sorry that watching the movie was so hurtful. We won't ever get rid of cruel people, so we need to keep fighting - with education and love.

Nomilynn
10-11-2002, 07:33 PM
That doesn't sound dumb to me either.. in fact it seems like a pretty graphic video for a classroom!!! I'm sorry you had to experience something like that. I hope you are feeling better now!

Twisterdog
10-11-2002, 10:36 PM
One thing that everyone who buys birds for pets can do to help eliminate the wild capture of exotic birds can do is this: ask to see documentation that the bird is captive bred, from captive bred parents. Do NOT purchase a bird from, or give your business to, anyone who cannot prove this.

If there is no demand for wild caught birds, the people who are now trapping them will have to stop, as there will be no market for their birds.

Everyone in the pet trade CAN make a difference, one sale, and one animal at a time.

popcornbird
10-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Awwwww. :(:( Poor poor poor little birdies!!! :(:(:( How can people be so mean!?!?!?! I advise you all and myself as well, that the next birdie we get should be from a well known kigh quality breeder, where all the birdies are born here and are born as pets, raised with love and care, and sold to only those who the breeder can see will care. I wish I could save all those poor little birdies suffering, but the only way would be to buy them, and that would be supporting the mean wild bird trade. But then how will we ever rescue the poor little suffering birdies that are traded and treated horribly? I think its the government's responsibility to stop this trade and only give well known quality breeders the license to sell pet birds. That will help ensure that most of the birds are healthy, well-cared for, and loved, and that all of them will be in good hands both before going to their permanent home, and after.