PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Christmas...

moosmom
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
If you're going to say "here we go again", then don't, please.

I have friends, a young couple that I've known for a long time. I met them while we all worked at the Hartford Courant. They have 3 great kids and are struggling because of the economy. We talk on the phone several times a week just to keep up. Her husband, an acupuncturist, can't practice because of the cost of the fees. He was able to find a job at Staples.

Well, the newspaper that Viv was an editor for, laid her off. She's been walking the pavement while the kids are in school (they're young) looking for a job in the hopes they'll have money for gifts for the kids. The whole situation is really starting to depress her. Not for her, but for her children. They don't qualify for state assistance or food stamps.

I also have to tell you that when I was in a bind (absolutely no food), Viv and Branden sent me 2 gift cards to Stop & Shop.

I came home the other day to an envelope in my mailbox from my brother. Usually I get a gift card to Land's End. I mean, how many freaking pairs of socks does one really need.

I opened the envelope and there was a check for alot of $$$:eek::eek: To say I was speechless is an understatement. I immediately paid MY bills, got a new bed that I needed badly (sleeping on a mattress on the floor ring a bell for anyone???)

The thought of those kids having nothing under the tree really chapped my butt. So, in honor of the holiday and another "Pay It Forward", I sent them $125 (a money order) so they could get the kids gift, or even food if they needed it.

She called me yesterday sobbing on the phone telling me I have no idea how much this means to her and Branden and that now they can give their kids a nice Christmas.

I was more than happy to do it. They're great people and have really had a streak of bad luck. Raising 3 kids as well can't be easy either.

Queen of Poop
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
You are an angel!:D

Catherinedana
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Send me your address and I will send you scented cream for your chapped butt! :D You are wonderful!!

:love: Cathy

moosmom
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
ROFLMAO, Cathy!!

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I strongly believe in the "Pay it forward" theory. I'm glad you were able to help someone who needed it!

smokey the elder
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
That's great! Here's another nice story of the power of many. http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/12/22/pennies.from.heaven/index.html

caseysmom
12-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Good for you Donna, I know your not rolling in the dough so that makes what you did extra special.

lvpets2002
12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
:) Yes Donna that I know came from your Heart.. That is all that matters.. Good for you & God Bless You..

lizbud
12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Congratulations.:) That was a wonderful thing to do.:)

phesina
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, what a nice, good thing to do, Donna. Blessings to you.

Catty1
12-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Nothing to chide you about - you took care of your needs first, and shared what you could! You are CHRISTMAS, girlfriend!:D

mruffruff
12-23-2009, 08:02 AM
My heart is full this morning for a similar reason.

I have a house that I rent to a single mother and her daughter. She's been going to college as well as working. She works as a home care provider for elderly and disabled and does hair in her spare time. She's often struggling to make ends meet.

This month she is having an especially hard time. Due to some health issues, she missed 10 days of work. Not a good thing when money is already tight. I told her not to worry about making the rent on time, catch up when she could.

Last night I got a small plant and a card thanking me. The note she added was better than any gift I could have received. I consider her December rent "Paid in Full'.:D

moosmom
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
It's called "Pay It Forward" and it feels great!!! It's not that you expect anything in return, it's the feeling. Nothing like it!!

Marigold2
12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Being nice to kind people is always good. Yes sometimes people disapoint and are vile but that is there soul, not yours.
You are a great person, never forget that.

joycenalex
12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
donna.... ((((hugs)))). happy christmas

DJFyrewolf36
12-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Paying it forward is what makes the world a better place! *HUGS* to you and everyone this Christmas! :love: :love: :love:

kitten645
12-25-2009, 01:33 AM
They call it Paying it Forward, Good Karma, Law of Attraction and a bunch of other things. I think it's just goodness! You did a good thing. They say that when you are in financial trouble, the one thing you must remember to do is to share a part of what you have. Not to the point of not taking care of yourself but giving money/assistance, attracts the same. You'll find your financial situation imporves if you continue to give when you can.
You mark my words, good things are coming down the line! Bless you.

carole
12-25-2009, 04:08 AM
I just love pay it forward, good for you Donna, isn't the feeling of giving to someone who really needs it so fulfilling, I usually put a little something under the xmas wish tree here, this year i did not quite make it, i had a present, but i wanted to make it a bigger parcel, and just did not quite have the resources to do so, but next year i will add to it and make it something really worth while for a child to receive.

It really is the best feeling in the world, and you Donna are one of the most giving people i have the pleasure to know.:love::)

Kfamr
12-25-2009, 07:55 AM
How nice of your brother to help you out so greatly that you in return had enough to help someone else out. I'm in the same boat as you most of the time. I don't even have a matress anymore, I sleep on my couch. :p But it certainly feels amazing to be able to give whenever we can, doesn't it? :)