PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon aka Pidgelet aka Pidgie Pie

Medusa
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
My green eyed lady began her trip to the Bridge around 11:00 AM today. I could tell that she was ready to go during the last couple of days and today she made it clear that she could hold on no longer. She went into acute renal failure and lost all control of her legs, so I helped her on her journey so that she could go peacefully and painlessly.

Pidgie came to me one spring day while I was outdoors playing w/my Border Collie Heidi. I saw a car slow down at the bottom of my driveway, a door opened and a cat was tossed out. I thought "Oh no, not another one" and she took off running. A little later I was picking red raspberries on the back of my property and each time I reached into the berry bush, I heard a meow, which sounded like a cooing pigeon, thus her name. When I searched, I saw her hiding in the bushes. I coaxed her out and saw that she was pregnant; not only that, but due to deliver her kittens at any time. I carried her back to my garage and she prematurely delivered three kittens, two of which were stillborn and the other died shortly thereafter. When I took her to the emergency clinic, she had every bug and worm that you could name. Surprisingly, her tests came back clean for all the bad diseases. So w/a lot of TLC and good vet care, I nursed her back to health. My vet guessed at her age then to be at about two and a half years old.

Her herstory is rather sketchy. My neighbor said that she was from a local farm, that the old farmer would kick her in the head if she got in his way and I believe it b/c she would never allow anyone to touch her head until just a few years ago. She would cringe and swat at your hand but never hiss. She was the most sweet natured cat I've ever seen. She would've made the perfect pet for a little girl.

She was definitely the matriarch of the Fur Posse and she kept my li'l Puddy Tat in line. When I first brought Puddy home at five weeks of age, she was a little terror and she tried to head butt Pidge who calmly placed her big paw on Puddy's head and held it to the floor until she calmed down. It's as if she were saying "You just relax, youngun". The love of her life, Boo Bear, was always close by and if he left the room, she was right behind him until she caught up w/him and then she walked beside him, always rubbing up against him as if to say "I love you, Boo Bear". He had been rather distant w/her the last couple of days. I think he, too, could tell that she was on her decline. When we left the house this morning, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a happy ending, so I took her around to the ones of the Fur Posse that I could find, Boo being the last. I said "Say goodbye to Pidgie, Boo Bear" and he turned his head away. He knew.

I'll miss her sweet face and her gentle touch as she tapped me on the arm, asking for just a little attention. Those green eyes looked as if she had the wisdom of the world behind them. She was a calm spirit, a loving companion and a good friend. She lived to be nearly 22 years old. This house will never be the same.

Karen
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Rest in peace, beautiful one
find yourself a good place in the sun
Rest for a while, now your troubles are done
Your green eyes will shine forever
In the hearts of those you loved
Send some purrs to their dreams
As you watch over them from above.
Pain and trouble are now gone forever
But your love will remain, forever and ever.

Pinot's Mom
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Mary, I am truly sorry. I have to tell you, that line about saying goodbye to Boo really got me, I could not hold the tears. It will be a major adjustment for you, and for Boo, as well as the rest of the Posse.

It was time for dear Pidge to rest. It was well deserved, sweet baby. Peace to you and the Posse, Mary.:love:

Love and hugs,
Maggie

Queen of Poop
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Oh I am so sorry for your loss. You've written a lovely tribute to her. I will cry for her for a while then I'll go light a candle. Hugs for you.

phesina
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh, Mary, I'm so very sorry for you and Boo and the whole Posse. I'm just crying my eyes out. What a beautiful tribute to a sweet little girl who has been so very dearly loved ever since she came into your life so many, many years ago.

Rest in peace now, dearest little Pigeon. Your Meowmie and your Fur Brothers and Sisters miss you and grieve you so deeply.

Please be comforted with the knowledge that you are all together for always and will greet each other again One Fine Day...

Love and deepest sympathy,
Pat and Sydney and Poppy and Elmer and Bob and Sparkler
:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Moesha
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I want to express my condolences as well. I'm so glad that you were able to have another year with your Pidge after her heart failure scare. I know this is a terribly difficult thing to go through, especially now with everything else going on too. I do hope that you find comfort in knowing that you did absolutely everything in your power for your girl. I enjoyed reading about how you got her. You may have mentioned it before, but I didn't remember it all. I'm going to borrow a phrase from a very kind and wise woman. Keep the faythe.

Cataholic
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. She was much loved.

astrid
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss dear Mary, Pidgelet was loved and treasured so much, I know she'll be missed terribly :(

My prayers are with you, may our loving Lord comfort you.

Big hugs :love:

katladyd
12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
You loved her. Nothing else needs to be said. Love never dies and she will be with you in some form forever.:love:

Freedom
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Pidge had a short rough start and then a long bliss filled time as Ruler of the Fur Posse. She was meant to be with you and the kitties there.

After 21 years, it was time. She hung on, I expect because she knew how heart broken you would be. Finally, she let you know.

Hugs to you, Mary, you gave her a wonderful life.

Purr-tender
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Mary, I am so very sorry for your HUGE loss! How blessed you were to have had this beautiful girl in your life for so long. Pidge was blessed, too, with a wonderful life with you and the Posse! I will light a candle in her memory.

(((HUGS))) to you and your Fur Posse!

Mary

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
And the tears are flowing again. That was a beautiful tribute and story about your lovely little Pidgeon.

Hugs to you Mary and RIP Pidgie.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I lit a candle to help her find her way to the bridge. We have lost so many of our precious babies this year. :love:

columbine
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Brave little girl, please lend your courage to Boo now, and let Mary know you're happy. :(

Love, Columbine

chocolatepuppy
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm very sorry Mary.:( May Pidgie Rest in Peace.

Prairie Purrs
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
That was a lovely, loving tribute to your Pidgelet. My heart is breaking over her farewell to Boo.

Pidge had the best life with you that any cat could have. I imagine she's resumed her task of keeping Puddy in line now that they're together again.

cassiesmom
12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh, Mary, I am so sorry to learn this news. (((( HUGS )))) and prayers for you and the Fur Posse.

Nomilynn
12-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss :love:

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I am so sorry, Mary.
((hugs))

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Mary, What a wonderful tribute. I'm so sorry to hear that it was her time:( but she had many many wonderful years with you. She'll be missed but never forgotten. RIP sweet Pidge.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
12-22-2009, 03:53 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. But thank you for Pidgie's story which showed that after such a bad start she had a wonderful life- and could live it for so long with you.

Killearn Kitties
12-22-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost Pidge. She was one lucky girl to have you to love and care for her for so very long.

Rest in peace, pretty girl. :love:

Anikaca77
12-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Mary-

I'm so sorry about Pidgelet.

My prays are with you during this difficult time. I'll be praying for you and your furkids. I'm at loss for words right now but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.

My prays,
Melissa

orangemm
12-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Mary, I didn't know about Pidge's history, but her life was so much better the day that you two found each other. She was so lucky to have you, and I know you felt blessed having her for all those years.

My heart is sad knowing her little light went out, but may you find peace knowing that she is a shining star looking down on you.:love:

Rest easy, little Pidgelet; you are safe at the RB.

(((hugs))) to Mary..............:love::love:

pomtzu
12-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Mary - my very dear friend...

Time will heal your wounds and ease the pain. Fortunately, time can never take from you, all the wonderful memories of your precious Pidge. She lives on forever with you and the Fur Posse. :love:

Thank you for giving her such a wonderful and pampered life while in your care.

Peace to you, and know in your heart, that Pidge is now living in peace and happiness too, as she awaits the day when you will be united again.

Rip sweet Pidgeon.

Love ya' Sis
GG

jennielynn1970
12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
So sad to read this, Mary. I know you just lost Puddy, it seems like only a few months ago... now Pidgie Pie. :(

Play hard at the Bridge, dear Pidgelet, we'll be thinking of you often.

HUGS to you Mary.

smokey the elder
12-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm so sorry about Pigeon. Even 21 years wasn't long enough; their little pawprints are engraved on your heart.:love:

AbbyMom
12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm so sorry. RIP little one

lvpets2002
12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
:( Very well said && I am just in tears now..
Mary - my very dear friend...

Time will heal your wounds and ease the pain. Fortunately, time can never take from you, all the wonderful memories of your precious Pidge. She lives on forever with you and the Fur Posse. :love:

Thank you for giving her such a wonderful and pampered life while in your care.

Peace to you, and know in your heart, that Pidge is now living in peace and happiness too, as she awaits the day when you will be united again.

Rip sweet Pidgeon.

Love ya' Sis
GG

Catherinedana
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
You loved her. Nothing else needs to be said. Love never dies and she will be with you in some form forever.:love:

:( I can't express my feelings in words any better than katladyd did. Both you and Pidge were blessed by being brought together. That kind of love never ends.

Kisses and hugs,
Cathy

momcat
12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
My heart is broken because of Pidgie's passing. Keep her in your heart and take comfort in knowing that, in spite of a rough start, Pidgie enjoyed a life filled with love because of you.

RIP sweet Pidge :love: You will be missed!

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] being sent for you, Mary.

slick
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Dearest Mary:
I've been thinking about you all day - your first full day without your beloved Pidgie. :(:(

What a wonderful and loving life she led - almost 22 years old is amazing. How very much loved she is and you too Mary.

Sleep softly little Pidgie and in the still of the night, please float down and rest your furry little paw on your Meowmie's face to let her know you are OK. Oh yes, a few purrs in her ear would be good too.

{{{hugs}}} to you Mary.:love::love:

kb2yjx
12-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Mary, I am so sorry to read about your girl!!! Twenty wonderful years together...what memories you must have!!!! Sleep softly sweet Pigeon.....HUGS to Mary....

moosmom
12-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Mary, I'm so SOOOO sorry about Pidgie. It was her time and I can tell she was absolutely adored. You and Pidgie will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanx, everyone. I sure do miss my green eyed lady but I have to keep reminding myself that her little body just couldn't take any more and that up until a few weeks ago, she lived a long, healthy, happy life.

I went to the pharmacy today to refill my Rx's and, of course, they asked about Pidge. They always do. They never ask how I'm doing, only how Pidge is doing. LOL The young girl that works there was so sad to hear that Pidge had passed on and I, of course, got all choked up when I told her. Matt, the pharmacist, will really be sad to hear it. He showed me pix of his cats and he asked me to bring in pix of the Fur Posse. He and his wife adore cats. He's really going to be sad to hear the news.

emily_the_spoiled
12-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Mary, I am so very sad to find out about Pidgie. It does not matter how long we have them for, it always hurt when it is their time to leave us. Please know that she is now waiting for you at the RB and you will be re-united again...

catmandu
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I am sorry Mary that I missed the thread about Pidgie until now.
Thats so sad to lose a Cat Companion , and we are sadly fated to lose Our Fur Companions, due to thier relatively short lives!!
:(
Pidgie now an Awesome Angel and starting her world tour in the Barabados, Central America and the Bahamas and I bet that Pidgie finds a place where you can all be reunited in love!!
One Fine Day :love:

kitten645
12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Mary,
There are no words. I'm so sorry. It is a testament to your love how long her life was.
Claudia

carole
12-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh Mary dear one, it is with great sadness and a heavy heart i read your post, I am glad you could help Pigeon to a better place, she will be running around chasing butterflies by now.

RIP little one and may you Mary find comfort in knowing what a great life she had with you and that she is no longer suffering and at peace GIANT HUGS.

Catlady711
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
So very sorry to hear about Pidge!:( You've done more for her than many people would and she had a good life with you. My thoughts are with you!

Kirsten
12-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Mary, I'm so sorry about your loss! What a long life she had, 22 years full of love! And I'm sure she would have stayed even longer with you if she only could.

Now she'll be your loving and gentle Guardian Angel...

R.I.P. sweet girl,

Kirsten

Medusa
12-25-2009, 12:50 PM
The ground was really frozen and I had to buy a pick axe so that my son could break through the ground but he got it done yesterday. So we finally laid my little green eyed lady to rest. I placed a candle on her grave and finally cried a good cry. I miss my girl more at night time than any other time b/c she'd always be waiting for me at the top of the stairs at bedtime; then she'd hop up onto the bed and snuggle in the blankie beforehand and get the bed all warm and cozy for me. She's at peace now, though, and I know that she's keeping my Puddy in line. Even she and Peeka, I'm sure, are friends now. :)

momtomany
12-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Your tribute to Pidge was beautiful. She was so well loved by you and you gave her a wonderful life. Her spirit will always be with you sleeping with you each night. I am so sorry for your loss.

jazzcat
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm so sorry to read this Mary.

Rest in Peace sweet Pidgie.

Vermontcat
12-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
I am so sorry to hear that your sweet Pidgie has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.:(
She lived a long wonderful life with you and you did all you could for her.
Sending hugs your way.

Lilith Cherry
12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
So sorry Mary....she will be waiting for you at the RB I'm sure.

Blessings and hugs

Medusa
01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
It just dawned on me that I never did say 'thank you' to all my friends who posted here on Pidgie's Memorial thread. After reading of some of the others listed here, I felt bad and realized my oversight. My apologies, friends. I appreciate your kind words and sympathies very much. My pain has lessened for my loss of Pidgie but right now there are others whose pain is very raw and fresh and my heart goes out to them. Thank you again. :love:

katladyd
01-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Cats only have one major fault, they don't live long enough! The love never dies, though. I am glad you are feeling better. It is so hard to lose them.:(