PDA

View Full Version : I am a diabetic

DJFyrewolf36
12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
*sigh* I found out from my doctor that I have full blown type 2 diabetes and have to be on medication. I have been changing my diet and have been cutting out soda entirely (except at Thursdays lol). The Dr hopes that one pill per day and a diet change (and a few less pounds) will help keep things under control.

At least I know why Ive felt so cruddy the last few months!

Grace
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Join the club. I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago. I control with one med, diet and exercise - so far, so good :)

One recommendation - a book - written so a non-medical person can understand.

The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed - by Gretchen E. Becker

slick
12-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 3 years ago and was put on 2 different meds. It was brought on by obesity. I was also on 2 different high blood pressure meds and 2 meds for neuropathy in my feet. This year, I got fed up with all the meds. My diet and exercise plan has worked - I've lost nearly 40 lbs. I've been taken off one BP med and when I see my diabetes doctor next week, I'm going to ask him about weening me off the diabetes meds.

The best thing you can do for yourself is lose weight. I'm proof. My blood sugar counts have come way down. Cut out alcohol, sugar, salt and eat less bad carbs and more good carbs like brown rice. Eat less red meat and more fish and make sure to include grains. This time of year is good for oatmeal in the morning. I've discovered that a balanced diet and exercise program can work wonders. I have not joined any weight loss program - just common sense worked for me.

Grace: thanks for the book recommendation. I might see if I can get it through Amazon.ca.

Good luck DJF and we are here for support if you need us.

carole
12-19-2009, 04:29 AM
My mother,father and sister all have type 2 Diabetes, so i am trying my hardest by keeping my diet and weight good so I too don't get it, but my chances are not that good. If you carry too much weight around your tummy area,which is where i have to watch it,at my age as well, it makes you insulin resistant and that is how you get type 2 diabetes,well according to everything i have read about it,none of my family are really big people but the women in my family tend to carry any weight around the middle area.

If you really watch your diet you will be able to control it eventually without medication,so try your best, i know it is darn hard, but worth it, those meds all have side effects,some of which are not that pleasant, sorry to hear this, and i hope you have success in controlling it, good luck.

Pinot's Mom
12-19-2009, 06:43 AM
I am not diabetic, but sympathize with you all, and I will echo what has been said - WEIGHT AND DIET are the biggest factors. Extra weight can cause so many problems and diabetes is a very common one.

Please try and control your weight and the medical issues will follow...we're all here for you-keep us posted!

Lilith Cherry
12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I have been diabetic for 14 years and remember how angry and sad I felt at the diagnosis but you do get used to the routine honestly! Losing weight does help and once you get blood sugar level under control you will feel so much better! Good luck and don't hesitate to fire any questions our way if we can help!

Freedom
12-19-2009, 09:37 AM
have been cutting out soda entirely

You can have Diet Soda. You may not like the taste of it, but you can have it.

My Dad was diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 68; 15 years ago. Once he came to live with me, I had to learn about it. We took the DOE class -- THREE TIMES! DOE = Diabetes Outpatient Education. Your insurance may cover it; Medicare does cover it.

You attend, and one person who helps you with meals, support etc can attend for no charge. It was all too much for Dad, but helped me tons to learn how to prepare his meals.

We both attended classes at the local YMCA for 5 years (until Dad was no longer able to do it due to other health issues, mainly the dementia).

There are also diabetes support groups, we attended one at the local senior center.

So depending what sort of "helps" work for you, they are out there! Seek them out, give them a try.

Best wishes.

Catty1
12-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I hope as you get managing this, you will feel tons better. :love:

My best friend has Type 2 - and she told me that people who have skipped breakfast all their lives will get Type 2. Maybe her doc told her, I don't know.

Hugs and get better soon!

aTailOf2Kitties
12-19-2009, 10:28 AM
my boyfriend had it about 5 years ago. The doctors put him on meds and he put himself on a diet. He lost 100 pounds and everything was soon leveling out. He was on insulin for awhile and then on some pills and eventually nothing at all.

Being diagnosed with diabetes is devastating for some at first, but at least with Type 2 there are things you can do to minimize or eliminate it.:cool:

Marigold2
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Me as well. Stinks but you learn to deal with it. Losing weight is always good. It is our horrid American diet that gets us into this.
Keep it under control and you will live a full life and a happy one as well.
Go ahead and have a good cry I know I did and then I moved on.
Wishing you all the best.

DJFyrewolf36
12-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks sooo much for the kind words! My mom has type 1 so Ive been around a good diet most of my life. I had gestational diabeties with both pregnancies but things leveled off. I started eating poorly, not taking care of myself and stopped exerecising and within 6 months or so I gained weight and things got out of hand. I shifted my diet and within a week I felt better than I have in a while. I know no that I cant slip again but I have good support from family and you guys!

momcat
12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm type 1 and keep reminding myself that I have it much easier than my grandparents did. Mine is more of a genetic link, it's on both sides of my family. I've been on insulin for about 20 years now and play javelin catcher about 4 times a day.

One thing nobody has mentioned, be absolutely sure you have an endocrinologist that you're comfortable with and you can talk to. Every once in awhile I go into what my doctor refers to as "diabetic burnout". That's when the blood tests, injections, diet, and everything becomes extremely difficult to do. This doesn't happen very often but when it does I can call my endocrinologist. She completely understands and we can work it through together.

One more thing, be sure to get a medic alert bracelet or other alert. In case of an emergency, the teams are trained to look for them and it can make a whole lot of difference.

Medical science and technology are on our side.

Karen
12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
It must be a huge relief to get a diagnosis, and it is one you can do something about!

Thankfully, there's no diabetes in my family tree since my great grandmother. My brother-in-law is, but has lost a lot of weight, and is now more more careful so is doing well.

krazyaboutkatz
12-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear this:( but hopefully with diet and exercise you'll start doing better and feeling better. Good luck.:)

DJFyrewolf36
12-19-2009, 10:07 PM
My mom has that problem too sometimes momcat...in fact I think I had a bit of a burnout myself and thats what caused my sugar level to go janky. I was good for a long while, having gone through two pregnancies and having to be careful and all. When things got too stressfull I went to drinking soda and eating fast food because I didn't want to deal with it.

Now that I am feeling better and getting back on track I realize how awful high blood sugar was making me feel. Blood sugar really effects SO MUCH and now that Im officially diagnosed (and it isnt blamed on pregnancy) I think I understand things a lot more. Being around it and experiencing it are two totally different things!

Again thank you! Sorry for the typos in the last post, I was posting from my phone lol.

kitten645
12-19-2009, 10:22 PM
EVERYONE in my family has it except my siblings and a few cousins.. It is cureable in alot cases. I was diagnosed boarderline about seven years ago and that was enough of a kick in the keister to get me on the right path. It was either eat right or medicate. I lost the weight and have been good about watching it.
The one thing I would say, that even diet soda triggers a "not full" response in your metabolism so watch that.
I finally got tired of being sick and tired and that's what worked for me. Good luck and know you have support at PT. :love:

Grace
12-20-2009, 11:45 AM
It is cureable in alot cases.

Diabetes is not curable. Type 1 is an auto-immune disease in which the pancreas does not produce insulin. The only cure for this would be a pancreas transplant.

Type 2 is preventable. Once you get it, it is chronic - unless of course you have one of those gastric by-pass procedures.

Gestational only occurs during pregnancy.

smokey the elder
12-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I know a lot of diabetics. One thing that you should do, until you get adjusted to your meds, is to have hard candies for hypo attacks. My former boss almost passed out but had the presence of mind to suck on a hard candy.

Also, you do get used to the artificial sweeteners with time. Good luck!

momcat
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
A better bet than hard candy might be glucose tablets. You can get them in just about any pharmacy. I keep them here at home, in my desk at the office, in my back pack. They're very effective treating low blood sugar but are NOT a substitute for eating. Ask your endocrinologist about them.

Also, the American Diabetes Association website is an excellent resource. That's how I found the endocrinologist I'm currently seeing. There's a lot of valuable information to be had.