PDA

View Full Version : mastiffs?

stace1319
12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Dave and I were talking earlier about mastiff. I was thinking that the English is the largest (heaviest) breed of dog, but I'm not quite sure and he said that the guy he was talking to at work said that some guy had a roman mastiff. I tried to look them up but I can't find anything on them. I think it is another breed of dog that has the work mastiff on the end of the name but I can't remember the first part. I remember that it doesn't look like an english or bull mastiff though. It looks more like a large long haired dog. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? It's going to bother me untill I figure it out

*LabLoverKEB*
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, I believe the English mastiff is the heaviest... not sure though. Anna (anna_66) has a beautiful male Bon. :)
I did some research, and I found that the Neapolitan Mastiff is often referred to as a 'Roman Mastiff'.

Here is a picture of a Neapolitan Mastiff :)
http://www.canadogs.com/images/NeapolMastiffadult2.jpg

stace1319
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, I believe the English mastiff is the heaviest... not sure though. Anna (anna_66) has a beautiful male Bon. :)
I did some research, and I found that the Neapolitan Mastiff is often referred to as a 'Roman Mastiff'.

Here is a picture of a Neapolitan Mastiff :)
http://www.canadogs.com/images/NeapolMastiffadult2.jpg

k! thanks for the help:)

blue
12-19-2009, 09:52 PM
I would look into the Fila Brasileiro if you are interested in mastiffs. Not the biggest but very versitile and loyal. If your interested I can PM you webstuff for someone who can give you a great deal of info.

luvofallhorses
12-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I would definately do your research on mastiffs especially a fila. They aren't the easiet dogs to handle.

stace1319
12-19-2009, 10:29 PM
oh, I wasn't actually thinking of getting one. We were just talking about them the other day. I finally found out what the one I was thinking of with the long hair is. It is the tibetian mastiff ( i know I probably spelled it wronge, but you get the point) I'll definately look into the Fila Brasileiro just fun kicks and giggles though! thanks for the info!

blue
12-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Im not looking to get another dog in the near or far future either but the Fila is on my short list of breeds Im looking at.

luvofallhorses
12-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Make sure you find a very responsible breeder. :)

blue
12-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Make sure you find a very responsible breeder. :)

While the quoted is important with all breeds it is doubly important with all large, giant, and guarding breeds.