PDA

View Full Version : What have I gotten myself into?

catnapper
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Mom gave me an old scrap book MONTHS ago. Its my stepdad's dad's old scrapbook. My "Uncle Will" is in the soccer hall of fame. I had intentions of doing it AFTER Christmas because of how time intensive I knew it would be, as well as because of all the stuff we have going on... first refinishing the floors, then the kitchen.

Problem is, I can not come up with a gift for dad. I blank on what to get him. He has everything he might need or want. But he doesn't know the scrapbook exists.

So, here I am, scanning newspaper clippings from 1935 on up to the 80's... from when he was in highschool, to WWII, to professional player (such as it was here in the US during the time) til he was the head of all the referees in the region. The man kept EVERYTHING over the course of 50 years, from the season's schedule to championship mentions in the newspaper. I have 10 pages done, which cover from 1935 to 1938..... I think I'll finish a couple more to complete the highschool years and tell dad more will come for his birthday, Father's Day, etc.

I know he'll be floored to see the scrapbook.

I'm just worried on two levels
1) I edited the material to only things that mentioned his name, had his photo, or was plain interesting to read. Otherwise, those ten pages would be 50. I will give him back the original scrapbook, so the editing shouldn't be that much of an issue.
2) Will he think it odd that I only provided partial pages? Will he look forward to more on later occasions, or will he resent not having the book complete? Like I said, he doesn't know the book exists... mom and dad's sister found it while cleaning out the attic. Its falling apart just to touch the pages.

Taz_Zoee
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
If he doesn't know it exists then he wouldn't know there are missing pages. Unless you do give him back the original book. Maybe you could just keep the original book for yourself and just proceed with what you are doing for him. I think it's a great idea! :)

RICHARD
12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
If you split it between his career and the other history?

I think he will like it.

You made him the 'star' of his own book and you will leave him the other clippings to measure against that.

I don't see any problem.

Any person with a rich history like that will appreciate a wonderful gift like that.

I think you will score.:D

phesina
12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
What a wonderful, thoughtful, lovely gift! I think you will make him so very happy with it.