PDA

View Full Version : Business rant?

RICHARD
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM
During the 1994 earthquake the chimney to the house was damaged, nothing major, but it leaks into the hearth during really strong rain storms.

I thought I could do the demo and repair it myself, but have learned that it's way more science, than just muscle!

Yesterday I walked to the store and passed a home that was empty (apparently the previous tenants took a garage and began to demo and rebuild it, then left.), Yesterday I passed the property and saw a crew working on it. I didn't pay attention when I first went by, but on the way back I saw it was a truck from a masonry business that did chimney repair.

I looked over the wall and asked a worker that popped out of the building if he had a business card because I needed some work done on the house.

He said to ask someone out front for a card.

I went to the front and saw three guys sitting on the porch, I said, "Hi, do you have a business card? I need a chimney repaired at my house."

I guess it was the head guy that answered. He began to wave his hands, palms down, in front of his body, and said, 'NO NO NO, I don't have a card..."

It seemed he was very bothered that I asked.

I could have gone back and taken the number off the truck door, but I thought, "eff this, people are out of work, being laid off and trying to keep a business afloat and this AH couldn't take a minute to try and sell me on his services?"

I thought to get the number of the business and let them know they lost a possible contract/job because the people that the employ have a crappy attitude and no interest in promoting the business.

I am surprisedm in these 'lean times' that people really don't care about their jobs or keeping the company viable.

stace1319
12-17-2009, 12:30 PM
those are the people that lose their buisiness 1 year later;)

Medusa
12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
It's incredible, isn't it? I had something similar happen to me last week. I needed some electrical work done and my electrician said that he'd come the next day at 4:30. I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally got ahold of him at 6:15 and said "Are you coming???"
He said "No, I won't be coming tonight".
I said "We had an appt.!"
He said "Well, I drove by your house at 4:00 and didn't see any lights so I assumed you weren't at home".
I said "Why would you assume that? And since we had an appt., why wouldn't you have called to see why I wasn't home? (I was home. I came home early so that I wouldn't miss the appt.) And why didn't you ring the doorbell or knock?"
He said "I didn't feel like getting out of the truck. I guess it's my fault" in a sarcastic tone.

I don't believe a word of it. If he did only drive by, why he would admit that is beyond me. That's the epitome of laziness. I called the guy who remodeled my kitchen, he said he'd be there at 8:00 AM the next day and he was right on time, did the work in 10 minutes. I should've called him to begin with. He advertises "No job is too small". Now that's a work ethic.

RICHARD
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
He said "I didn't feel like getting out of the truck. I guess it's my fault" in a sarcastic tone.

HIs cell phone battery diedk, the dog chewed up the cell phone, he didn't have a quarter/change, no public telephone to be found, he lost your number, he wrote it down wrong, lost it, left it in his other pants, washed the pants, lost his wallet, book, appointment sheet, drove by the wrong house....

WTF?
You should have said, "Yes, I pay double when the job gets done quickly and on time."

But on the Bright Side?
When the lights are out, no one is home? ;)

As it should be.

phesina
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
You might also say "Next time I'm calling a PROFESSIONAL to do the job."

Medusa
12-18-2009, 05:43 AM
But on the Bright Side?
When the lights are out, no one is home? ;)

As it should be.

Lights were on as they always are. I'm sure he was lying and he never even drove by my house.