PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the smell of burnt chocolate

catnapper
12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I think I've mentioned that I'm NOT a cook. That still didn't deter me from trying to make chocolate drop pretzels for Christmas with Cameron.

Oh, the receipe was soooo easy. We placed small pretzels on a tray, then topped each pretzle with a Hershey's Kiss. Slip in oven to melt, then pull out and place an M&M on top of the melted kisses,

Easy Peasey, right? Not if youre hopeless in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

So, instead of nice warm chocolate, my house smells of burnt chocolate. YUCK!

Hubby can go into the kitchen and resume drywalling now. I'm done my grandmotherly craft of the day. :p

sirrahbed
12-17-2009, 10:38 AM
:D Kim!! I made those this year too. Only leave them in the oven for 3-4 minutes - no more!! Try it again sometime with foil on the cookie sheet, a mini pretzel, a Rolo candy and top it with a pecan half - chocolate caramel TURTLES!! What a FUN grandma you are!!

catnapper
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
:D Kim!! I made those this year too. Only leave them in the oven for 3-4 minutes - no more!! Try it again sometime with foil on the cookie sheet, a mini pretzel, a Rolo candy and top it with a pecan half - chocolate caramel TURTLES!! What a FUN grandma you are!!

LOL... thats what I DID! :eek: Foil, mini pretzel... all but the Rolo. I just think its the world telling me that I should avoid the kitchen at all costs.

I'll stick to the other crafts we've been working on. you should see all the crafts I do with him. We wove red ribbon through the fence last week - my new coworker saw it and didn't know it was my house. She was telling me how cool a fence looked on her way to work and was stunned to hear it was my house. She said I just need more bows. Then I had to explain the reason for only one bow is that Cameron left Callie outside.... she ran out into the street (lunch hour traffic at the time too) and some guy stopped his car to help me get Callie. Then I grabbed her and returned to the yard.... to find all 8 cats were let out too. Fence project was officially DONE. But, I'm glad people appreciate it :) I did it just to keep him entertained without TV.

sirrahbed
12-17-2009, 10:53 AM
:D OK Kim, AVOID the kitchen and go with what you do best - creative and artistic crafts!! The fence sounds fabulous - I think Cameron must have the the funnest grandma in the world!! I did one grandmotherly craft that was pretty fun - we cut out snowflakes from folded computer paper and taped them in the windows. they thought the snowflakes were magic and brilliant when they unfolded them:D That is about as creative as I get!

smokey the elder
12-21-2009, 03:03 PM
If I want to dip something in chocolate, I'll melt the chocolate in a double boiler (Julia Child called it something fancy, bain marie maybe?) Dip you pretzel, put it on parchment paper (the chocolate will flow a little but oh well) then put it in the freezer.

One of my coworker's wife made white chocolate dipped pretzel rods with colored sugar...YUM! I'm going to try to do that next year.

lvpets2002
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
:p Kim try the microwave next time or heck do what I do & go buy them already done..:D

K9karen
12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
If I want to dip something in chocolate, I'll melt the chocolate in a double boiler (Julia Child called it something fancy, bain marie maybe?) Dip you pretzel, put it on parchment paper (the chocolate will flow a little but oh well) then put it in the freezer.

That's what I do. It's yummy with cashews too.