PDA

View Full Version : Whats with jewelry these days?

catnapper
12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Tis the season for overpriced jewelry!

I keep seeing ads for Black diamonds. Aren't they simply cut and polished pieces of coal? I see them everywhere. Are they really different, or have marketing geniuses taken consumers for a ride? I never heard of them until the past few years.

Also, champagne diamonds. When I bought my wedding band 8 years ago, it was deeply discounted because they were champagne colored diamonds.... in other words, they were flawed because they weren't white. Now, that same band is more expensive because the champagne diamonds are "fancy" diamonds. I don't get it! :confused:

I was watching a TV special a while back. The segment was talking about tahitian black pearls. The truth is that NOBODY wanted black pearls until someone marketed them in the 60's or 70's as a luxe product. They were seen as useless until somebody stuck a high pricetag on them in an exclusive store. Then they were suddenly valuable.

It makes no sense to me! But then again, I'd be just as happy with a shiny piece of glass or plastic as I would be with a true gem. I like the colors and sparkle. I don't care about the resale or cost of an item.

Marigold2
12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh but they are so lovely. Just wear what you like, if it makes you happy that is what counts. For me it would be a yellow diamond.

Husky_mom
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I dont get impressed by diamonds.. it could be a zirconia or even any shiny thing that looks good and I like it.. doesn´t has to be the real thing.. ;)

Suki Wingy
12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I'd be just as happy with a shiny piece of glass or plastic as I would be with a true gem. I like the colors and sparkle. I don't care about the resale or cost of an item.

Me too!

Medusa
12-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I lose all sense when it comes to jewelry, real, faux, costume, I don't care. I love, love, love it! I'll admit that I do prefer the real thing, though, but have many lovely pieces of faux gems. It's an illness. ;)

moosmom
12-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Im with Husky's Mom, although I do like real diamond, they are far too expensive for me. Give me a cubic zirconia that's not too flash that looks real, and I'll be happy.

Pinot's Mom
12-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I have to admit - a lot of my jewelry is not "real" stones, and some are "real", but not what you think they are!! Fine by me, as long as it looks good. :)

kokopup
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
It is amusing to me to watch commercials and watch how marketeers manipulate consumers with their adds. De beers has been the master of creating demand for certain jewelery. The Pandora bracelet is one that comes to mind right now. This time of year and leading up to valentines they alway create the commercials inferring that if you really love her she should have a _________,

The auto industry does the same, by creating demand for certain models. Because of pollution standards of the mid 70's the think tank in Detroit had to create demand for a truck. The (S)port (U)tility (V)ehicle was created to help Detroit get around pollution standards that truck were exempted from. There was absolutely no demand for a station wagon but by jacking it up and hanging SPORT on it's name it became the vehicle everyone had to have. When fuel became an issue they just lowered the SUV and called it a CROSSOVER to create a new niche. It was still just a station wagon though.

Marketeers can create demand for anything because we are so insecure and need to have the latest WHATEVER. Designer is another way of appealing to our insecurity.

RICHARD
12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
There is a commercial from Robbins Brothers jewelry that makes me want to scream when I see it.

LOL, There is one segment where a man proposes to a woman while they are skiing. The woman starts to jump around like a rabbit.

I can see the man taking her back to where he proposed and pushing her over the side of the mountain when he tires of her!

--------------------

My mom bought her own wedding ring and I never saw her or my dad ever wear wedding rings. Dad, for obvious reasons, he worked around 'whirring machinery' and my mom? I dunno!

My mom, ever being the practical woman, would comment about the prices of diamonds.

That (the price of the diamond) would put a down payment on a house when she first got married. Or? If something happens and you need money to eat? you can eat the diamond!

I think her turn off was the materialistic slant that the world has adopted.

--------------------

I have to laugh because diamonds are like cars.

As soon as you drive them off the lot, they are worth less than what you paid for them. Also, some jewelry stores are touting having jewelry engraved-which further diminishes the value.:eek:

-------------

Assure me at least 10 good years of marriage? Then I'll give you a ring!:eek::confused:;)

sirrahbed
12-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I had to chuckle at your post Kim, because this is exactly how I feel - I am not a Scrooge, but I just don't "get it" I guess:p I like sparkly things but do not own any real gems. I think I am WAY too practical, if there is such a thing (I am like RICHARD"S mom) I did have a real diamond in my engagement ring ( I bought it myself after we married) but it fell out of the set and is lost somewhere in a parking lot. The TV commercials for jewelry - they make me laugh but they seem manipulative to me.

catnapper
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Assure me at least 10 good years of marriage? Then I'll give you a ring!:eek::confused:;)

Richard, are you proposing to me? :eek: :eek: Sorry, but my husband might take issue with that ;) :)

Right now, my wedding band is a band of sapphires that I've had since I was 22 (one of the few things that were not stolen a couple yearsago). I never wanted a diamond ring. I was peer pressured into it by family, coworkers, and friends. They all gasped when I said I wanted a nice colored stone ring, something simple and inexpensive. What they neglected to realize is that they were talking to ME -- I change my rings as often as I change my eyeglasses (which thanks to cheap glasses online is a LOT) so I don't care about cost, or its societal value.... is it pretty to me?

sparks19
12-17-2009, 10:22 AM
the only diamond ring I want is My grandmothers engagement ring that my mom has and I will inherit. it's beautiful and meaningful. but I doubt I will wear it. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to it and I cannot be trusted with rings lol. I've lost my wedding ring TWICE... luckily found it both times. I no longer wear that either. It's not worth a lot of money but the meaning behind it is priceless and I just couldn't stand to lose it again.

but the markup on jewelry is INSANE!!!!!!!

these jewelry commercials make me want to gag LOL. Like that one where this couple is up at a cabin and it's storming really bad and this lady (who is a BAD actress lol) suddenly JUMPS into his arms with fright and he says in this cheesy voice "Don't worry I'm here... and I always will be" and then pulls out this sparkly bit and she forgets all about the storm. LOL what does that say about women? that we can just be blinded with something shiny and forget everything else? we aren't BIRDS :D