PDA

View Full Version : Stress

slleipnir
10-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Urg, school is sooo stressful! I'm in grade 12, and it seems that we get soo much work..I think I'm getting stupider or something, I studied so hard for my last bio test and ended up with a 71%..It's so fustrating, and makes me not even want to bother seeing I really tried..I don't seem to get a lot of sleep, and it seems really hard to memorize stuff..urggggg..I wanted to go to bishops university in Quebec in a year or 2, but I'm struggling with the work load in gr 12! If I go to bishops, I'd be working to support myself, bills, etc, PLUS schooling. I really wanted to go to Bishops, seeing it's a small town it's in, AND a zoo rather close. I was thinking I might want to work at the Toronto Zoo, and if I got work at this smaller zoo, it might make me more quilified..seeing we have no zoos here. My dad said he'd pay for my courses, but I get everything else. I could live at home, and get it all free, but I like the idea of supporting myself..but it'd would be SO hard. Urg, why does life have to be so complicated...!

Sorry..had to vent!

kingrattus
10-10-2002, 10:55 PM
AHHHHH college life is great, 1 assignment per class, 2 tests per calss & no homework at all... Life is grand... I hated gr. 12, they said we have to give u a tone of homework to prepare u for university & college... HAHAHA... prepare us is not the plan , they just wanted to torture us... & no, my college program isn't easy, the first year was really hard & the second year is much easier, but more notes & its more fun... I'm in Police Foundations it ur wondering...

Nomilynn
10-10-2002, 11:31 PM
I *wish* high school had been harder and more challenging, because University is a slap in the face. In high school I never studied, I did all my homework the night before, and I had a 95% average. University comes along, and suddenly I'm pulling all nighters and working on projects for weeks and the best I can get is a B+, which, with our strange GPA system, is only about 79%. (Our GPA is out of 9 at the University of Victoria, I don't really know why). It's brutal. When I'm a high school teacher I'm going to make it more challenging than I had it so people can be more prepared.. for example, basic grammer is always a plus! I'm amazed at how poor some people's grammer is, including myself most of the time! :rolleyes: :p I, along with many others, didn't get that basic foundation out of high school.

Uabassoon
10-10-2002, 11:34 PM
I wish I could be a Sr in high school again. That was a great year for me. I'm a Sr. in college and I think so far I've had about 1 mental breakdown per semester. But I still love being in college, and being on my own. I already had my mental breakdown this semester, so the rest of the fall semester should go well for me (hopefully).

NoahsMommy
10-10-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I already had my mental breakdown this semester, so the rest of the fall semester should go well for me (hopefully).

You are too funny! :)

College is much more challenging...but in a good way, I think. I know you may want to be "grown up" and support yourself, but you have no idea how hard it is. I work full-time and go to school at night. If you wanted to pay your own way, depending on the area, you may have to work lots and lots of hours or have more than one job. If your parent's are offering, take it. My parent's didn't....and I cant tell you how much I wish I could have gone to college straight from High School and had my parents help. Trust me, take his help now...it will stop soon. :)

Good luck! Have you considered a tutor in Biology? Some people just aren't science oriented. (Me!!) ;)

neko1
10-11-2002, 08:05 AM
I agree that college was much more challenging. High school did not prepare me at all!. I too had 1 mental breakdown per semester. But even with that, I still managed to graduate with honors. But now its been over 2 years, and I love just working. No more tests to study for and papers to write and when I come home I don't have to think about anything! I can just spend time with my fiance and my cats.

moosmom
10-11-2002, 08:39 AM
slleipnir

I know the feeling of studying till you feel you're brain dead. I was never a great student. I got a C average in most subjects. I have found that some people are book smart and others are more "hands on" smart. I am the latter.

I learn so much more by actually doing than trying to read about it. When I was 26, newly divorced with a 2 year old, I decided to go to night school to become an EMT. I studied so hard because it was something I wanted so badly. I failed the State exam the first time by 2 points! Talk about frustrating! I breezed through the practical portion of the exam. I took the exam again and passed it with an 89. I found out that alot of the answers were very similar but the questions were put to me in a different way. I also found that you should always go by your first answer. That is what made me fail the first time.

Would I go back to school again at age 50?? Hell no! I've got enough stress in my life right now just working.

I wish you alot of luck in your studies. Remember to take a breather once in a while for yourself. :D

wolflady
10-11-2002, 12:48 PM
I too am more of a hands-on smart rather than book smart person. High school did seem a little more difficult just for the fact that you go all day, do all your homework at night and repeat the process in the morning. No matter how hard I studied (which was pretty much to the point of being brain-dead), I still wouldn't make the grades I wanted. I'm just your average student, and I always used to think how unfair it was that some people could just breeze their way through classes and grades without doing any work at all and I worked my butt off just to pull average.

Hang in there. It's true that it comes easier for some, but your hard work and dedication will pay off in the future. College was a challenge, but I do miss it. Plus, high school can only prepare you so much. College is so vastly different, but in a good way. Surprisingly, I would love to go back if I could. Do take your parents up on them paying for classes, because you'll will truly thank them later. I remember wanting to 'be free' of the parental units, and living up at college was my first taste of freedom, but my parents supported me all the way through. I couldn't have done it without them, and I'm always amazed at the people that have to put themselves through by working at the same time. I doubt I could have done that. I am really blessed that I had my parents help and no debts after college. Hang in there and enjoy it while you can!!
**hugs**
Karen

slleipnir
10-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Ahh! That doesn't help lol! If you got 95% in HS, and found college hard, I'm SCREWED! lol. Urg.

Good luck! Have you considered a tutor in Biology? Some people just aren't science oriented. (Me!!)
Biology is one of my fav subjects, I did so well last year, I think I have brain probs preventing me from remembering stuff I should..sooo fustrating!!